Sage of the Sage1 03-Nov-09
Sage Buffalo 03-Nov-09
dbboss2 03-Nov-09
REX 03-Nov-09
TD 03-Nov-09
PassItOn 14-Nov-09
Scott Smith 15-Nov-09
28-Oct-09
I'm a little undecided on which one to buy, cabelas or lem. Any of you guys have any experience with either of these? I'll be butchering around 5 whitetails a year.

28-Oct-09
I just bought .35hp Lem a few weeks ago. I kept borrowing a buddies grinder and decided it was time to throw down the cash for my own. The $300.00 price tag was hard to swallow, but when I thought about how long it should last and how much I'm saving by never using a butcher I was able to stomach it.

I used it to grind probably 75-100 pounds of moose meat into burgers and sausages. I was impressed at how fast it was and how well built it is. I believe they both have all metal gears so they should last you a long time

Hopefully someone will chime in who has put one through the ringer so we can hear how they hold up over the years.

Jeff

28-Oct-09
Before you buy one, check out the ones Northern Tools has. I bought the biggest one they have. It is the same size as the big Cabelas hand crank one. But it comes with a big pully so you can hook an electris motor to it. Way less money than the Cabelas one also.

28-Oct-09
I use a cabelas 1 hp model. It really made grinding 100 lbs of moose burger easier than the old #22 hand grinder this year. I usually do 5 or moore deer per year and I've been making my own sausage. I appreciate the ease.

I can't compare LEM and Cabelas, but I have a hunch they're one in the same.

If you're mechanicaly inclined then turning your hand powered grinder into an electric grinder may be a good option.

Mike

28-Oct-09
I think they are very comparable. I went with Cabelas, but have a friend that went with Lem. I have a 1hp, and it does a fine job.

hope that helps

28-Oct-09
Just an FYI, if you turn the hand crank model into an electric you need to add a top loading chute or feed attachment with a pusher (stomper) that is tall enough you can't possibly get your fingers down into it.

The hand crank loading chutes are shallow and VERY easy to get your fingers into the screw. Hand cranking it you can stop as soon as you feel something going wrong so they are fairly safe. Not so with an electric motor. Or if two guys are using it, one cranking and one feeding. You think you are being safe and then let your guard down and mind wander for a second and your new handle is "Lefty".

I'm with WW, I've got the big #32 size hand crank and it makes quick work of grinding. I have the pulley for it too and have considered converting it, but it does such a good job by hand I haven't done it even though I have a couple of motors laying around. This is a large unit also, not one of the small ones and not even comparable to them. Picked up some good quality German knives and plates for it from Eldons years ago and it can really go to town. I have several tubes and stuff sausage with it too.

29-Oct-09
Never used a LEM but have used a 1hp Cabelas, & it is a a beast! Almost can't feed it fast enough to keep up with the grinder. I WILL own one, one of these days. I don't need the 1hp, but I like the reverse feature which does come in handy when tendons, etc start to build up on a duller blade. Keeps u from having to take off blade & cleaning it. Just hut the reverse switch for a second & keep grinding! :-)

Also, go ahead & get the foot pedal switch, whichever you go with. Makes it faster, cleaner, & easier when trying to stuff sausage casings. Frees up both hands. Just remember to ALWAYS unplug it before getting your hands anywhere near moving parts!

29-Oct-09
I bought the Northern Tool electric grinder 5 years ago. Works great with zero problems and only cost $79.99.

It can grind as fast as I can load it, easy to clean and a LOT less money.

I always freeze my scraps until the end of season, thaw them all out and grind it all at the same time. Usually grinding 100-125 pounds at a time. I don'r see any reason to spend that much money...

Greg

29-Oct-09
PM Woody or, better yet, maybe he will answer here.

29-Oct-09
I bought a cheap grinder from ebay, I think 79 dollars. It has lasted about 3 or 4 years. It still runs great and I grind about 6 deer per year. The only real reason I see in spending more money is speed as the smaller grinders are a bit slower than the larger more powerful ones. If you got it, spend it, otherwise it really isn't necessary.

29-Oct-09
I have a Hobart 3.5hp 3 phase 240v grinder/mixer commercial model. Picked it up for 0$! 50#'s of meat per min. Elephant sausage anyone?

29-Oct-09
BPM, How exactly did you get a Hobart for free and can you get me one? Those things can run a couple G.

Also can you go ahead and get me a Hobart slicer while you are at it?

29-Oct-09
I have an inexpensive grinder I received as a gift a few years ago. It is powered by a 1200W (1.6hp) motor, has reverse, three plates, and plows through the meat. It is the Small Timer Meat Grinder, and I think it sell's for around $85. It is cast aluminum rather than stainless, so it takes a little care when cleaning. I have processed 8 whitetails, 1 feral hog, 1 pronghorn, 4 elk, and 4 mule deer with it, and have had no problems with it.

29-Oct-09
"BPM, How exactly did you get a Hobart for free and can you get me one? Those things can run a couple G."

Seth, given Bigpizzaman's handle, the phrase "tax write-off" comes to mind. ;)

29-Oct-09
If you want a big grinder, contact a Hobart dealer and have them keep an eye out for a "worn out" grinder from a commercial shop. There is usually lots of life left in those machines when the shops trade them off. Also, talk to the game processors in your area and see when they are going to trade off their old grinders. And watch for grocery store remodels and see if they are having an auction or selling the old equipment. Just a caution, though: Many of the commercial grinders are 3-phase, so you would have to have them re-wired for 220v if you are using them in the average basement or garage...

If you are only processing a few deer each year, the little home versions will be more than adequate and tak up a lot less space when not in use.

29-Oct-09
I bought 2 hobart mixers (one for my restaurant and one for resale) there was a grinder in the warehouse also the seller insisted I take it also!

29-Oct-09
I have a Cabela's one horse model and it will grind faster than you can feed it meat.

29-Oct-09
I have been having a friend who is a butcher grind meat for me for real cheap. They have a 7.5 HP mixer/grinder. The other day, we ground 100 pounds of elk meat in about 2 minutes. It is real handy because when you put the meat back in for the second grind it mixes it. The hopper is large enough that you could easily grind 250 to 300 lbs of meat at once.

After seeing a grinder like that at work, I have high expectations. My friend told me that he wouldn't even consider buying a table-top grinder after being spoiled by the one he has at work. The real big ones are way too expensive for the occational user to justify though.

I have my eye on the 1 HP grinder from Cabela's and will probably buy one this year.

29-Oct-09
Careful with your fingers with electric, you can't take them back. That is why I use a hand grinder.

29-Oct-09
Our local meat market will grind up to 40# of venison for $5.00. See if that is an option for you. Buying, cleaning, storing and maintaining a grinder is not something I want to do anymore. In fact, I have two I will gladly get rid of. Both are #22 grinders. One is an old electric grinder that needs a capacitor. The other was a hand grinder that was mounted on a heavy duty table. It is belt-driven with about a 1/2 hp motor if I recall. $50 bucks each.

29-Oct-09
Cabelas had some reconditioned grinders on sale on the website the other day on the clearance section, I believe. Save about $50-75.

30-Oct-09
I have the northern one too 99 bucks on line and we do about 15 deer a year cant beat it .STEVE

31-Oct-09
Hey bud, this is all you need to know. Cabelas Grinders (made by PregoTrade), have more horse power when you compare throat size, and you can't beat Cabelas Warranty. You really can't. LEM really doesn't compare either. Also, if you have a cabelas visa card, every quarter you can get 150 bucks off a 500 dollar purchase. Get the card wait for that, and you'll have a grinder for a good price, and one that will last for alifetime, and if it doesn't....Cabelas will just give you a new one. I worked for them, we will just give you a new grinder no questions asked. And I really even hated promoting the card when I worked for them, but if it's not going to be a problem for you (having the card), there is no annual fee and you can get a lot of free gear. I know one guy had $28,000 in free store merchandise from his card and earning points. But don't get it if you're not responsible enough to have one. Mine is personally maxed out :(, haha, hope this helps.

31-Oct-09
I have a LEM and love it, I have been a butcher for 28 years and I think the one I have works juct fine. Just remeber this that no matter wich one you brand you buy size does matter when it comes to putting in any grissle, don't know about the spelling. i have a big one at work and can put tree limbs in it and it won't stop but for a 1/4 or smaller you have to watch how much stuff you put in it at a time and grissle? just my two cents.

31-Oct-09
I had borrowed a hand griner from a bud and kept it for almost 10 years. He doesn't hunt. He took it back and this year ask my bro if he had one. To my amazement he told me that he had been using a blender. Anyone ever use a blender?

I had made the mistake of taking my last one to the processor. To my surprize, the price had inflated somewhat 300% sinced last. Never again!

01-Nov-09
I also have the grinder from Northern Tool. Have had it for 4 years and it works great. Can't beat the price either for a little under $100

01-Nov-09

PassItOn's Link
I researched this very topic for awhile and came to the conclusion that for the money you can't beat what cabela's has to offer. I decided on getting there biggest one which is 1 3/4 horsepower with the #42 throat and this thing sucks up big pieces of elk and spits it out without the slightest bit of bogging down at all. Just to give you an idea, attached is a link to a 1 horsepower model on youtube, although this thing does a great job keep in mind the head on it is about 1/4 of the size of the model I got which is the biggest in cabela's line up.

02-Nov-09
Diamond, I seen them in northern tool this weekend. Best for the money. Can't say much for the quality. Any one bought one from there? I know any sporting outfitter is going to bloat the price for that reason.

02-Nov-09
How does the Cabelas 1 hp work for stuffing summer sausage and sticks.

02-Nov-09

PassItOn's Link
I plan on in the next week or two to do brats and snack sticks but at this time havn't done any yet with mine.. Attached is a video of what you ask and the grinder is a cabela's brand..

02-Nov-09

PassItOn's Link
and heres a video on summer sausage with the cabela's grinder..

02-Nov-09
PassItOn that was great thanks a lot

02-Nov-09
I use a Cabela's 1HP Commercial Grinder and would not trade it for anything! Had a freezer cleaning fest with a buddy this spring and ground up/stuffed 100 lbs of elk, deer and pork into Brats, Italian Sausages and Pepper Sticks, worked great!

I just checked and Cabela's has the 1/2, 3/4 and 1 horse model on sale right now!

02-Nov-09
The 1 hp regular $499, now $399 plus shipping.

03-Nov-09
Go to Cabelas and buy the biggest model you can afford; you won't be sorry. I bought the 1 HP last year and it takes longer to de-bone than to grind and pack away. very fast. I would recomend buying the meat packing system from lem, the foot pedal is very handy.

03-Nov-09
I have a Cabela's half-horse power grinder. I've run a whole pile of deer through it and it hasn't seemed to have slowed down at all in the 5 years I've used it. It will grind meat about as fast as you can stick in there. I'd certainly recommend it.

03-Nov-09
Check to see if the wife has a Kitchen Aid. If she does you can buy a grinder with that.

If she deosn't buy her one and get the attachment - you can kill 2 birds with one stone. First she will think you are the best and you will have a good grinder.

Kitchen Aid's last forever!!! 50+ years.

I have used mind for years to make burger.

03-Nov-09
Have read a lot of horror stories with the kichen aid grinder breaking the mixer. Don't think I'd chance pissing off the wife.

03-Nov-09

REX's Link
Click the link and scroll down to see a BIRO AFMG-52 with a 7.5HP motor and 100 lbs/hr rate with 200 lb capacity.

Now that is a sweet unit but the $14,000 price is a bit much for my pocketbook ;)

I made up my mind to get a Cabela's 1HP grinder (on sale now for $399) and the hand crank mixer (on sale now for $99). That way I can stop feeling guilty for mooching off my buddy and using his work's BIRO.

03-Nov-09
REX, you had a little typo. That thing is rated at 100 lbs PER MINUTE! Wow. Cool link, thanks.

LOL! With that monster it would take me longer to clean the grinder than to grind all my meat for the year! There is a point of diminishing returns!

Last year when we held our grinding party we had 3 large coolers full, 200-250 lb of meat. The actual grinding with the big hand grinder went fast, maybe 20 min. or so. Trimming was by far the biggest labor and packaging with the sealer second.

14-Nov-09

PassItOn's Link
I ground up meat today to make brats and decided to make a video of the cabelas grider with the #42 head.. I ground up 23 pounds of meat in about a minute and a half but probaly could of done it around one minute flat if I could of kept up with feeding it meat.. Anyways attached is the video..

15-Nov-09
Cabelas grinders are nice. I've had one for years if at all possible get one that has a reverse.

• Sitka Gear