hunting dad 11-Nov-09
bigguy 11-Nov-09
Cassman 11-Nov-09
Biggen 11-Nov-09
Rob Nye 15-Nov-09
Paul @ the Fort 15-Nov-09
mn_archer 24-Nov-09
03-Nov-09
Put one on the ground Pat. Look for a big Non-Typical.

03-Nov-09
Just as a heads-up......The "discussion" link from the live hunt put me into a thread titled "helping a new hunter" instead of this discussion thread.

03-Nov-09
Good luck up there Pat..i think ya made the right call hunting KS last..we have warm temps forcasted all into next week but a front is moving in on Nov.11th..i`ll have Boomerdog up here the same week..should be great hunting...best wishes

03-Nov-09
I'll be hunting just a few miles south of Saskatoon when you're flying in. Look to the south as you're coming in, I'm the guy shivering in a poplar tree...

03-Nov-09
Pat, I am interested upon return how your hunt was. I know it's not common in the US, and I assume many will be interested in hearing your opinions on hunting a bait for a week.

03-Nov-09
Pat, You should see some great deer! I hunted with Rob next door to this area for the last 2 years.It's agreat area! Going back next Nov. Took a 158" 8pt with some stickers last year.Good luck. Steff

04-Nov-09
It's November 4th and no update yet?

04-Nov-09
Am I confused how is this a live hunt?? Someone please advise!! Thanks!!

04-Nov-09
he updated the 3rd

04-Nov-09
Not sure I like the rifle guys taking a few deer, with the largest one being almost 125? Is this a trophy hunt?

04-Nov-09
Must have been guys from down south doing the rifle hunting..he he he..just kidd`n

04-Nov-09
"and I assume many will be interested in hearing your opinions on hunting a bait for a week. "

huh????

04-Nov-09
I'd imagine even the southern boys can shoot a 100 inch deer in their home state! Drive to Sask to shoot a small buck? To each his own, I guess.

04-Nov-09
I guess at this point I could say refer to previous thread on SASK hunting.

But I won't.

04-Nov-09
this does seems to confirm your prior comments on hunting there.

We'll see if they are able to tag some big ones.

05-Nov-09
That 100"-er would be joining a buddy of his on my wall!

05-Nov-09
those rifle guys are not too selective it seems

05-Nov-09
"those rifle guys are not too selective it seems", or they don't like cold weather! ;^)

05-Nov-09
He may have gotten one tonight since he hasnt posted an update yet.

06-Nov-09
Pat---same thing is going on here in KS(in my area anyhow)..it is frustrating no doubt...i`m sure a nice one will come cruising through before long...

06-Nov-09
A few comments

Its not rare for the good ole boys from down south to shoot bucks in the 100 to 125 range . Those deer are bigger than any deer they have shot before . Everyones idea of a trophy is different .

As far as the rut go's, I have hunted that area 4 times . The rut is the last 2 weeks of November but thats not all bad . I prefer pre - rut . I was up there twice in the middle of the rut and most of the bucks had busted up racks .

One trip I shot a bruiser at 250 yards , walked up and found 4 tines broken off . My 170 went to 140 in a hurry .

06-Nov-09
Today

54°F Sat

45°F 30°F Sun

41°F 27°F Mon

39°F 23°F Tue

41°F 32°F Wed

37°F 23°F Thu

36°F 23°F here's the weather for carrot River this week not to bad It could be one heck of a lot worse.

06-Nov-09
Howler , thats not good news for Pat . Colder the better. The big bucks for the most part shut down during the day when the temp is over 32 .

06-Nov-09
I knew about the colder the better idea if you were hunting over bait piles in that country but thought it might be different during the rut.

06-Nov-09
The rut usualy doesn't get wild and crazy until the third week of November up here in Saskatchewan. But you will usually start seeing more daytime buck movement pretty soon. The bucks are starting to get restless.

06-Nov-09
It should be on like Donkey Kong up there.

Kill a bigg'n, Pat

07-Nov-09
now there is a stroke of bad luck having your sight fall off. the trad guys are giggling right now.

07-Nov-09
Hey Pat if you look at this thread it would be nice if you could post more Pictures of your shooting lanes and actual hunting spots! Mike

07-Nov-09
Just an FYI: The banner ad at the bottom lof the page goes to Rob Nye's info, but the hyper link below that that says Rob's name goes elsewhere...

P.

07-Nov-09
Pat don't despair about the rut here in N.Y. Ive been hunting hard and TODAY 11/7 I have seen my first two does being chased its just geting started Good Luck

07-Nov-09
45 above today in carrot River Sask going to be mid to low 40's for the rest of the hunt and lows will be low 20's. so if it needs to be cold for the hunt Pat isn't going to get it. Nocturnal deer are tough critters

07-Nov-09
Whats a deer hunt run up in sks about 5,000 not including extras im guessing?When I went for Bear in meadow lake it was 2,100 that was back in 06.

07-Nov-09
this hunt runs 4250 plus tags and a few extra's so 5k is about right.

08-Nov-09
How did dwight from bowhunter magazine do, did he see anything yesterday or was he shut out as well?

08-Nov-09
He hasn't posted anything for the 8th. Is the hunt over?

09-Nov-09
Something's up......11:00 and no update. I'll guess Pat shot one.

09-Nov-09
Pat prolly lost his bow or something. he he he he he

09-Nov-09
pat's late posting maybe he got a big one!

09-Nov-09
Last time I got excited about a late post from Pat, it turned out a little differently than we expected. Hope Pat's got one on the ground and it was a clean kill.

09-Nov-09
Cold as hell. Baited deer. Not seeing much. Glad I didn't drop the coin.

09-Nov-09
Yea the heat will shut you down up there everytime . In 2005 My buddy shot a huge 10 on monday, I shot a 17 on tues , then the temp went over 40 for the rest of the week and the rest of the guys were shutout .

In 2001 the temp was between 20 below and 10 above every day . Everyone saw 5 to 10 bucks a day . I feel for Pat and the crew , you can't control weather .

09-Nov-09
I don't think they hunt on sunday ?? maybe we get an update today

09-Nov-09
Schuh has a neat book on bowhunting mule deer where he mentions his love for spot and stalk hunting. He has done it on mule deer along with blacktail (and I think whitetails). I wonder if this stand hunting is driving him nuts or are they seeing enough to keep the interest?

09-Nov-09
No Sunday hunting in much of Canada.

09-Nov-09
I guess I thought of the no Sunday hunting deal too, but I thought maybe Pat would have mentioned it if it was an issue.

09-Nov-09
Sunday hunting is now allowed in Saskatchewan and Manitoba for the 2009 season. Sunday hunting has also been allowed in BC for sometime. I don't know about the rest of Canada.

09-Nov-09
Hoping for the best. Fearing the worst.

09-Nov-09
This is the first season of Sunday hunting in Saskstchewan. I think that we were the last province to have Sunday hunting.

09-Nov-09
Tony,

Manitoba has slowly implemented Sunday hunting over the last 3 years or so. This is also Manitoba's first year to allow provincial wide Sunday hunting.

09-Nov-09
Pat gives himself only a 20% chance of recoverning the gut shot buck. I know this is debate free, but I will say that I believe they will recover the deer. I would not have followed him last night after reviewing the video. I sure wish him luck. I hope the coyotes nor wolves find him first.

09-Nov-09
Pat, good luck tracking, we're all pulling for you!

09-Nov-09
Seems like a liver hit to me. Hopefully he finds him but a wounded deer can do anything!

09-Nov-09
Maybe it doesn't mean anything, but did anyone notice the caption under the photo of the arrow placement said "kill shot".

09-Nov-09
Its obvious that the shot will kill the deer, the only question is will Pat find it or will the scavengers beat him to it.

What I want to know is how can Pat change his luck with these shoots? Mike

09-Nov-09
That's gonna be a dead deer. It's also gonna be VERY tough to track without snow.

I would say liver for sure, especially with that blood.

What was the buck's reaction immediately after the hit?

09-Nov-09
Maybe you misunderstood my point. I know it would kill the deer, but refering to it as the kill shot made me think that it may already be found.

09-Nov-09
this will not be an encore of the elk hunt because unlike the elk he's dead. you'll find him i believe.

on the bright side for 2009, pat, if you had to choose which animal to make a great shot on this year i am glad it was the buffalo. good luck with the buck.

09-Nov-09
hobbes,I thought the same thing when he said 'kill shot".every time I ever tried to force a shot ,the results were less than favorable.

09-Nov-09
hobbes,I thought the same thing when he said 'kill shot".every time I ever tried to force a shot ,the results were less than favorable.

09-Nov-09
Wonder if there is any chance at finding a good tracking dog up there (if legal). With that shot, and a good dog, I think the recovery chances would go up to 90%.

09-Nov-09
The deer is dead. Following him that soon was a mistake with the luxury of the slow mo video. If you or another predator bumped him within a few hours I fear the worse.

My guess is that you got guts and the back of the liver.

I wish you the best and hope for the best too! Been there before with both good and bad results. I feel for you brother.

Bill in MI

09-Nov-09
I second the dog option, if legal. Gotta be cheaper to rent a beagle than a helicopter-

09-Nov-09
I know we all like to read about Pats hunts and so forth, but I'm really starting to think Pat needs to scrap the camera and filming. This is two animals with in 2-3 months that have been injured by him and don't forget Kansas last year, and I can't help but think it may be because he is rushing shots or trying to hard to get the camera shot and all of this stuff on film but not really concentrating on the animal first. The animals are the ones suffering the consiquences of all this trying to bring it to you live and self filming. Pat please for your own sake and more importantly that of the animals please just put down the camera and hunt. I would much rather see a photo opp only with you and your animal than to keep reading about this sort of stuff. Good luck on finding this one I'm really hoping for the best outcome.

09-Nov-09
Pat,

Keep up the good work. I love the videos. Good luck with this one. I think you'll find him. I hope the critters don't feed on him first.

You put a lot of pressure on your shoulders bringing us your "live hunts", and I enjoy it.

09-Nov-09
Your kinda lucky the weather is holding! I'm in Alberta and like Sask. the weather can turn ugly real quick at this time of year! Good luck, we hope you find him!

09-Nov-09
I hope you find the buck- that shot should kill the buck; and if the coyotes get it...well that is tough luck; but chit happens. That was a buck I would have shot; and I really hope you can recover it. My hopes are with you tonight.

09-Nov-09
Congrats on finding the deer Pat.

09-Nov-09
Congratulations to Pat on the recovery of his buck. I'm looking forward to his Kansas hunt.

09-Nov-09

BuckTomcat's embedded Photo
BuckTomcat's embedded Photo
Nice ! You guys found him that is sweet news Congrats!!!

Here is a pic of my bruiser!! hehehe!

09-Nov-09
Way to never give up Pat!!!

09-Nov-09
Way to never give up Pat!!!

09-Nov-09
Congrats Pat!!!

09-Nov-09
Excellent tracking job Pat.

Happy you found your deer.

09-Nov-09
walking up to the deer with out a blood trail is a lucky find, it happens and that is good. How does that old saying go "the harder I work the luckier I get"

10-Nov-09
Congrats Pat.

10-Nov-09
Congratulations Pat!

10-Nov-09
Congrats pat--Now get your rear down here to KS...lows near freezing all next week..Big boyz will be HOT...i`ve got Boomerdog comming in thursday till the middle or late next week...Been very slow up to this point in my area...

Just curious---looks like ya got liver to me??? Was that the case...

10-Nov-09
Congratulations Pat!

10-Nov-09
That is a brute of a deer body wise and I am glad you found him.

10-Nov-09
Awesome..... I can see the blood trail challenge question. "After searching on your hands and knees for 3 hours you decide to" a. Do a grid search b. Get a tracking dog c. Just randomly walk down a trail

I can see the contest complainers now :)

10-Nov-09
Wow! It seems everyone is being hypercritical of Pat. He's not perfect guys but neither are we. Yes he did some things that could have been done another way but lets get real and focus on the positives. Some of you guys need to get off the couch and try to film a hunt and kill of a big buck. And for those of you that don't want Pat filming please don't look when he does! I for one cannot hunt as much as I want too so when someone else can film it I really enjoy watching! Thanks Pat, Mike.

10-Nov-09
"First off....he claims to know how mature a deer is from the tone of it's "snort". How untrue is that! "

manitoba:

LOL---makes me wonder how many mature bucks you`ve hunted and killed...there is a distinct difference in depth and tone..there are certain grunts slash growls i`ve never heard a young buck even attempt..longer deeper esophogus will naturally put out a deeper tone..most 2 year olds grunt about as loud as a mature doe here in KS..had one growl the other morning that would make your hair stand on the back of your neck..I assure you it wasn`t a dink...lol...

10-Nov-09
I am happy you found your deer. Sure looks like a big bodied buck to me too ! Perseverance pays; as does having Nye along.

10-Nov-09
Travis....You're right....I was a bit harsh! Perhaps after I've hunted and killed a few good ones I can talk.

Congrats Pat on the recovery...My little knowledge thought you'd likely find it! Nice deer!

10-Nov-09
Nice Pat!!! Thanks for taking us along!

10-Nov-09
Pat, Congratulations on your buck. You've show others here how persistance can pay off when tracking a less than perfectly hit animal. Sometimes things just come together. mace

10-Nov-09
Manatoba--I love sarcasm backed with ego...your second post was nothing but ringing your own bell...I`d have to think in your case it must be all about location, location, location...lol...with that I think I will end in saying that you should probably start a thread and post all them trophy photos of yours so you can share your infinate knowledge of whitetails...they should help make you feel good about yourself and put you on alot of people`s hero list...Good day...:)

10-Nov-09
Congrats on finding your deer Pat!! I can only imagine the rush of relief that you got when you first saw him!!!!! Good luck in Kansas! I will be filming a hunt near your area in Kansas this weekend.

10-Nov-09
Congrats on a very nice buck and hunt! Persistence is a powerful attribute in all aspects of life. Well done.

10-Nov-09
Pat, maybe I missed it, but I am curious about a final report on the Sitka Dutch Oven vest. I am leery of relying on any mechanical garmet to keep me warm, but it seems like this one might be cut out for the job. Can you provide a review? Thanks. Congrats on the deer, looks like a big bodied bruiser.

10-Nov-09
Congratulations - I made a similar shot a few years ago in Saskatchewan but was fortunate enough to have a heavy snow that made tracking it very easy.

10-Nov-09
Congrats Pat!!!! I'm so glad you found him.

10-Nov-09
congrats pat on a successful hunt good luck in kansas.

10-Nov-09
Pat, glad you found him! Congrats!

Just out of curiousity, are dogs legal up there if you'd needed one?

Anxious to hear how Dwight did- will we find out? though I've only met him once, he just lives down the road a piece and I consider him one of the local boys- I'd like to hear if he done good or not-

10-Nov-09
Guys seriously!! As my fellow Manitoban bowhunter clearly indicated, this is a Canadian deer! We're all experts up here on big Canadian Bucks! Have a gander at my trophy photos and let them speak for themselves, Haha!! Very happy Pat that you found your buck. Tracked one the other day that was a similar blood trail to yours, pin drops, that didn't end as well. As always, your honesty and details of your hunts is a welcome breath of fresh air. Only complaint i had was you said to "check back often" for a mid day update. I don't think you meant like 20 times a day did you? Haha! Congrats on a great Saskatchewan Buck!

11-Nov-09
Pat,

Congrats on the deer. Now, when can we be expecting the Blood Trail Challenge?

11-Nov-09
Pat I don't like the way your hair looks when you take post-shot pictures. I mean can't you comb it? lol

Congrats and knew you would find it.

I have a hard time when conditions are tough passing up deer. It's much easier when they are all around you but cold temps, family and an easy shot make it it easy to pull that trigger...

11-Nov-09
I very happy that Pat found that deer and that Pat tells the truth good or bad I see some of these shows were the shots and hits are VERY BAD and they find the deer I WONDER HOW MANY THEY DONT FIND !Steve

11-Nov-09
Way to go Pat? did you perform an autopsy on this one too. I love to get more info on what actually kills gut shot animals.

11-Nov-09
Pat, glad you found the deer. With all of the excitement, I was just wondering if there was a winner on the tree stand challenge yet.

11-Nov-09
Pat,good job on the tracking, glad you found him. Just a note for anybody else thinking about the hunt. It is not legal for someone to be walking back and forth between stands unless accompanied by his guide. You can be left at the stand but cannot leave that stand unless accompanied. I personally was bear hunting as a resident very near to the area Pat was hunting I saw an outfitter drop off his client and the guide did not walk him the 1/2 mile to the stand(Where the non resident had sat the night before). I have no idea where the conservation officer was who witnessed this, but he was waiting where the guide dropped him off. When the guide returned, he was charged with not accompanying the hunter to the stand, and the hunter was charged with hunting without his guide. That would be a terible way to ruin a great hunt!

11-Nov-09
I enjoyed the thread Pat am looking foreward to the Kansas hunt with my turkey killing friend Jake.

11-Nov-09
Thousand yards it is going to be the mother of all blood trail competitions!! Glad you found him and congrats!!

15-Nov-09
Hi all; Finally got a minute to post here with an update. Really enjoyed having Pat here; good guy, hunts hard and has a good sense of humor. Was fun having Dwight here as well, we always snipe at each other in jest, told him next time he comes to Canada for a battle of wits he should arm himself first.... The warm weather kicked out butts, hunting was way slower than normal but that's the way it goes sometimes. A couple days ago a gun hunter killed a nice 145 ten-point at a stand Dwight sat and another 140+ 10 was filmed by a tagged-out hunter at another of his stands the day after Dwight left, just no luck here that guy! Also got some shooters on trailcams in the past few days at stands Pat sat at and some giant rubs showing up as well at those locations. As for bigguy's post: a couple years ago I discussed with a local C.O. the subject of hunters walking to stands themselves and he had no problem with it; because we guide 2 on 1, this speeds up the process for drop-off in mornings and pick-up at night. Also, some fellows simply prefer to walk to stands by themselves; creates less noise and scent and they feel more "in the hunt" without a guide doing everything for them. Each hunter is equipped with a radio and we are in contact once they are in the stand. In Pat's case when he moved stands we didn't hook up on the radio when he moved but it was an easy walk with a map I drew him with absolutely no chance of getting lost. Perhaps the outfitter and C.O. bigguy spoke of were at odds over other issues, that happens sometimes. Anyhoo, if you ever get the chance to share a camp with Pat or Dwight, do so - good guys and very down to earth considering their accomplishments and fame as bowhunters. Good luck to all this season; R.Nye

15-Nov-09
Pat, glad you stuck with the sparce blood trail and found your deer. A 1000 yards is a long way to track under those conditions. I did that on a bull elk a few years ago and when I finely found him later, a 1/3 mile away and six hours later, I almost thought it was someone elses elk, but he had my arrow in him.

Two items, regardless of what stage of the breeding cycle I am hunting, I always carry a grunt call, rattling bag and or horns.

What was your thought process, hunting without or not using those two items?

Thanks, Paul Navarre, Ft. Collins Co.

24-Nov-09
As we ready ourselves for this orgy of food we are about to engulf Pat is dragging out his gps, slide-rule, and sense of humor and carving out the next bloodtrail challenge! lol

michael

• Sitka Gear