Pete In Fairbanks 25-Feb-10
Lechwe 25-Feb-10
Western MA Hunter 26-Feb-10
swp 26-Feb-10
sunsignarcher 26-Feb-10
HeadHunter® 27-Feb-10
timberghost 27-Feb-10
24-Feb-10
Has anyone made anything special with there claws? or is there company that does this for people?

24-Feb-10
I had a claw necklace made by Rocky Mountain Scrimshaw. Tom put a silver cap on a claw and a gold arrow point on the cap and strung it on a black leather necklace with a whitetail antler button on either side of the claw. I'm really happy with it. I'll try to take a picture of it tonight. Look them up. I bet you will find what you like there.

Good luck.

24-Feb-10
I would like to do the same thing with a bear claw too.

24-Feb-10
Lechwe

That necklace sounds really cool, I might like to do somethign like that with my Mt Lion claws. What did they charge you for that

24-Feb-10
BG,

It was a while ago but I think it was around $140-170 if I remember correctly.

Go to the website and look at 5C on the claw page. I believe the one with the gold arrowhead is my necklace. It doesn't show the antler buttons but if you go to the bottom of the page you will see what they look like. He also will do bison horn buttons.

http://www.rockymountainscrimshaw.com/3.html

24-Feb-10
I had a nice bearclaw necklace hanging from my rearview mirror in my truck... Untill some jerk broke my window and stole it...

24-Feb-10
Lechwe that looked awesome. Does the taxidermist put a fake claw on your bear if you do a rug or does it become Ol' 4 toes?

24-Feb-10
Is that you Chris Lapp?

24-Feb-10
Butts,

I imagine he would put a fake on it. I didn't have that one mounted, just tanned and hangs on the wall.

25-Feb-10

Pete In Fairbanks's embedded Photo
Pete In Fairbanks's embedded Photo
Are you looking for something civilized, or more extravagant, or just utilitarian?

Proving the old adage that "nearly anyone can do it," I made these two myself. They feature single grizzly claws and hairpipe. As you can see, one is a simple, one-strand necklace and the other is a full choker.

I would be glad to share what little I know about the construction.

With apologies for mixed metaphors: It's NOT "rocket surgery...!"

Pete

25-Feb-10
Does anyone know how to clean out the claws? I have some black bear claws in the freezer - still attached to the toes.

25-Feb-10
Soak in soapy warm water until claws slip off the bone.

MARK THEM SO YOU CAN REUNITE THE CLAWS WITH THE EXACT TOE BONES THEY CAME OFF OF.

While claws are still wet, freeze them so they don't dry out.

Clean the bones. Bleach them. Dry them thoroughly.

Thaw claws and while still damp and pliable, glue them onto the clean/bleached toe bones.

Voila....!

25-Feb-10
I removed some from the toes and used borax in the claw itself. You ca then do as Pete suggests or fill the claw with an epoxy type filler or something similar and go to work.

Pete,

Those are pretty cool.

26-Feb-10
I just cut the claws off at the knuckle and clean up.... Then drill a hole and run it on a rawhide like a turkey spur. if the claw sheath is loose, just epoxy...

26-Feb-10
I put mine in a sandwich bag for a week then pulled the quik out with needlenose pliers. Cleaned them up a little and put epoxy back into the nails.

26-Feb-10
ttt

27-Feb-10
"moon" ... on the Traditional Site (LeatherWall)...she (Carol) may be able to help you with a 'claw' for mounting! She did a few for us and capped them and they are beautiful!

27-Feb-10

timberghost's embedded Photo
timberghost's embedded Photo
This is an bear claw necklace made by an Algonquin Indian from the Eagle Village First Nation near Kipawa Quebec. This was made by a very old Indian that I have met and befriended. I also have a single bear tooth necklace from him that I wear hunting and has turned into sort of a good luck charm.

• Sitka Gear