Jeff270 13-Mar-10
ursman 13-Mar-10
firepolice1 20-Feb-12
firepolice1 20-Feb-12
JusPassin 20-Feb-12
rock50 20-Feb-12
firepolice1 20-Feb-12
12-Mar-10
I'm putting together a series of First Aid scenarios for a group of scouts, and could use some suggestions.

I'd like to have different "stations" in which the scout will need to assess a situation and then improvise a treatment out of common camping equipment (for example, use a safety pin and a shirt to make a sling, or duct tape to make "sunglasses" to prevent snow-blindness).

Some stations will have important, "can't miss" items, like hypothermia, or adult with chest pain.

These stations should be brief and to the point.

So ... any suggestions?

12-Mar-10
What about breaking your leg or ankle?

Splinting, immobilizing, canes with makeshift materials in the woods

12-Mar-10
I think a the "Ohh S*!T, I just cut my finger with my knife" is always a good one. I am not talking about to the bone severing things that were meant to be together kind of cut, just a nasty slice.

PS: Duct works well for this when nothing else is there....heck, even when other stuff is there!

12-Mar-10

elkmtngear's Link
How about heat cramps/heat exhaustion (give salt)

Blood loss/hypovolemic shock (treat and or stop active bleed,shock position, give fluids)

Anaphlactic reactions (epi pen, benadryl)

Just a few acute examples that come to mind

Best of Luck, Jeff (bowsite sponsor)

12-Mar-10
All great ideas. Anaphylaxis is an important one. I may put that epi pen out so that they at least have to know where the directions for the thing are.

Duct tape will take a front and center role, being used for bandages, traction, bracing, and sunglasses.

The "I sliced my finger" hits close to home for all of us. I want them to know how to decide if it needs stitches, etc.

Thanks

12-Mar-10
Don't forget the superglue option on those cuts, it works much better and faster than the duct tape!

13-Mar-10
I would also add a station for cutting yourself with a deflected axe. Give them a deep cut to deal with that bleeds alot. They should focus on stopping the bleeding first before they work on dressing the wound.

Also, incorporate into each station that they need to assess the victim to make sure that they have found and dealt with all of the problems/injuries. Many victims have more than one issue to deal with.

13-Mar-10
Give them one with "assessing the Scene for danger". A LOT of kids will skip this step, and place themselves in danger. One good lesson could save their own life.

Good to see your doing this, especially for Scouts. What council are you with?

13-Mar-10
Great ideas! I think the most common injuries are burns, sprained ankles, broadhead/knife/hatchet wounds, stings, punctures and eye injuries,

They can make an eye wash/wound flush by filling a ziplock with "clean" and/or filtered water and poking a pinhole in the bag and squeezing to flush away a foriegn object from the eye or rinse out a wound.

They could make a PSS solution (physiological saline solution) by adding salt or salt tabs to "clean" and/or filtered water to rinse or flush as above.

Ensolite sleeping pads make great splints and also to pad and help warm the victim as designed.

13-Mar-10
Great ideas, guys.

I like the "assessing the scene for danger" point. The first thought has to be to avoid losing any rescuers, right?

And I hadn't thought of the eye station. I was going to have them use the ziploc to irrigate a wound, but using it on an eye is a great idea, and makes them improvise.

13-Mar-10
how about fish hook removal

use something padded wrapped in thin leather(an old piece of furniture??)as a dummy

had to do it once, on a doctor, who stepped on a nice 4/0 walking down the beach in St. Simons

he screamed like heck but was glad to have it out

good luck with the training, what a great thing to do

13-Mar-10
Food poisoning (vomiting and diarrhea) and dehydration

13-Mar-10
Hypothermia

20-Feb-12

firepolice1's embedded Photo
I have been doing our Scout First Aid Meet for over 5 years. We have over 100 scouts participate each year in various scenarios utilizing 8 stations plus a 911 call center. Each year the stations change. If you are still interested (I know its almost 2 yrs since your first post) let me know and I can send you what I have.

20-Feb-12

I have been doing our Scout First Aid Meet for over 5 years. We have over 100 scouts participate each year in various scenarios utilizing 8 stations plus a 911 call center. Each year the stations change. If you are still interested (I know its almost 2 yrs since your first post) let me know and I can send you what I have.

20-Feb-12
I would love to see a criminal justice study done to see how many young men who were in scouting ever get in trouble later on . My guess it will be very few.

Keep up the good work.

20-Feb-12
When I took my buddy to the ER in 2002, the doctor said he saw 1 or 2 hunters per day, usually knife wounds to the hands.............the leg wound was a first for him.

Knives are probably the most common!

20-Feb-12
Thank you. We have had many boys get involved in their local fire companies and EMS services as junior members because of their scouting experience.

• Sitka Gear