broog1 26-Mar-10
Bigdan 27-Mar-10
ElkNut1 27-Mar-10
broog1 27-Mar-10
MarkU 27-Mar-10
Bigdan 27-Mar-10
Stillhunter 28-Mar-10
24-Mar-10
I've never had the opportunity, but for someone who has practiced over 2000 shots a year and has a bull under 16 yds and is shooting a modern compound bow is there ever an "ethical" shot there? Personally I think there is. I wonder where you'd place the arrow?

24-Mar-10

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
I have taken 16 bulls with this shot.

24-Mar-10
Ive taken 2 elk with the above shot pic

24-Mar-10

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here are a couple antelope I took with shots very similar to the elk quarting to photo.

In the top photo you see the antelope watering in the position where he watered. He was only about 15 yards away. The photo right below him show how far he made it after the shot. Notice on the left side of the photo the side of the blind. He made just over 20 yards. The next photo below that one shows another antelope on the gound and the edge of another blind, with a few does that were with him wondering what the heck happened. He made it about 30 yards or so and the shot was about 20 yards. The bottom photo shows a close up of that same buck and how he looked when I walked over to him.

The frontal shot or a slight quartering to you frontal are my favorite shots. The blood trails are fantastic in most cases and most critters don't make it very far. Like in all shots, you have to hit pretty close to where you are aiming. But that is true on all shots.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

24-Mar-10
BB, you are sure hard on antelope :-)

24-Mar-10
My son hit his deer this year with the exact same shot diagramed in the elk picture....the deer didn't make it 30 yards.

Now that said, there isn't much margin of error, and I told him I'd like him to try not to take a shot like that again.

24-Mar-10

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
I just had some one ask me how the heck do I post a series of photos on the Bowsite like I just posted above. Others have ask me the same thing before in other threads. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it is a good place to answer that quesiton.

First I take any random full size photo, make a copy of it. This photo just happened to be the next group of antelope that came and watered while the dead buck lay just above them.

24-Mar-10

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Then I flip the full size photo 90 degrees.

24-Mar-10

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Now with photos I want to post together, I down size them to 800x600 and using the cloning tool I clone the small photo onto the big one I just turned 90 degrees.

Since Bowsite photos are posted so small, you will have to look close to see the watering buck on the upper right side of photo.

24-Mar-10

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
I get my next down sized photo and now clone it onto the big turned photo. I continue to do this until I have all the photos I want to post. (I think 5 or 6 are about the most one can do at this size.)

24-Mar-10

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Once I have all the smaller photos on the big one, I then crop them and here's what I come up with.

Notice my orginal photo in this thread and you can see I made a mistake when I cropped the photo. I got part of the big photo still in the top part that should have been cropped out.

Here's what I really meant it to look like. On this photo you don't see all that stange grass growing and the weird angles that you do in my first post.

I am sure there are better ways to do this, but this is how I do it.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

24-Mar-10
Or you can use photobucket and just paste multiple urls in the message body.

Stove 2

Stove 3

Stove 4

24-Mar-10
sorry about the hijack.

I would shoot an elk straight on if he were under 20yds, but I am nervous to shoot the quartering-to angle so I will pass that one up.

The above photos BTW is an oven we built for our tent stove.

24-Mar-10
I made my comments on the "other" thread and got BLASTED before Jaq and Bigdan chimed in....

24-Mar-10
And some will argue on this thread that it's a bad shot.

Beendare, you've been around here long enough to know you need a think skin to hang out on an internet forum.

I posted in the "other" thread too. As I mentioned there, my brain just doesn't think about a frontal shot. I wish it did, that Buck Antelope pic shows how good a shot it is.

Great pics again BB.

24-Mar-10

elkmtngear's Link
Thanks for the hijack, BB, I learned something today

This thread is like a recurrent nightmare, anyway!

Best of Luck, Jeff (bowsite sponsor)

24-Mar-10

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Here is the last one I shot with that shot it was 10 yds he went 50 before he was down.The arrow hit him on he's leftside and the Bh was sticking out his right quarter. There was to much blood on the left side to take a photo.

24-Mar-10
"This thread is like a recurrent nightmare, anyway! "

Hmmm, does that mean this topic comes up 3 or 4 times each year?

G

24-Mar-10
I've taken a few animals that were slightly quartering toward me. I'm usually very careful about that, though, and conscious of where I think the leg bones are... trying to make sure to shoot around them. I'm less concerned about that sort of thing with a broadside or quartering away shot, but you can put an arrow into the vitals from pretty much any angle... even right up the poopshoot, I'd think (but I've never tried it). You just gotta be careful about it and know your anatomy.

24-Mar-10
BB,

Can you photoshop Bigdan's pic at the top of the thread and give us an idea where the shoulder bones would be located?

24-Mar-10
Beendare: I can sympathize with you. I got blasted big time on the last thread of this type. Even called a J A.

But I'll stick by my opinon. It is a great shot. But like was stated before, you need ice water in your viens to do it. This is not for the guy that gets trembling knees when he is in a face off at 8-10 yards with a bull elk.

Being able to place the shot shouldn't be a problem either. At that close , you should be able to pop a ping-pong ball every time.

24-Mar-10
I will agree the shot is deadly, BUT can you make it.

WW makes a vaild point, does one have ice in there viens to make it....IMO most don't.

Dan and BB, heck they live by it....:)

24-Mar-10

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo
here is one of BB's pics that has been used in the past. While not facing frontwards, the bones are plainly seen.

24-Mar-10
BB, don't worry about photoshopping bones, photoshop me as the guy sitting on top of BigDan's bull!

As a treestand whitetail hunter, I never considered the frontal or quartering-to shot. I had shot a deer or two quartering-to slightly that I didn't realize were slightly quartered to (shot them behind the shoulder) and had bad experiences with the shot as the arrow entered behind the shoulder and exited far back on the off-side, mostly taking only one lung, and resulting in a long and/or non-existant bloodtrail

HOWEVER. . . last year when preparing for my first elk hunt I read through lots of threads on this very subject. I read with great interest BB's and BigDan's experiences. I studied anatomy of elk and deer, and realized, this was a deadly shot if taken right, and if you were able to get an arrow in in FRONT of the shoulder. I resolved to take the shot if I were comfortable with it at the time of the hunt, and the situation warranted it.

On the fifth day of my first elk hunt last year, my buddy and I had set up in an area where we had been working bulls for two days, never getting a shot, but never pushing them or buggering them too badly. I was up on a little rise with a ditch in front of me, and ditch behind. My buddy set up in this ditch behind me at about 70 yards and we waited until the sun hit the basin and the bulls lit up. Then my buddy went nuts with bugle and cow call, and in no time, we had bulls heading our way.

I had gotten severely rattled the day before when two bulls screamed in, but for some reason, I was calmer today. I could hear the bulls getting closer, but I guess I didn't think it was really gonna happen. I heard a bull bugle, but thought he was 200 yards away. Suddenly, 50 yards out, from behind a big spruce, steps a bull. He started walking almost directly towards me.

As he came on, I thought he would get to the top of the little rise I was on, and try to look down into the ditch to see where the calling was coming from. He walked in to about 10 yards and I drew. He stopped in a perfect lane. I thought he was strongly quartered to, so I was gonna shoot him in front of the point of the shoulder, and it was gonna exit behind his off shoulder.

I don't remember aiming, I wasn't nervous or shaking, I don't remember picking a spot or looking at a pin or releasing or anything. It was robotic. I just knew right where I wanted to hit him, about an inch in FRONT of the point of his shoulder. I shot and he crashed off and made it 50 yards before falling over dead.

He was more strongly quartering than I thought, almost straight-on. The arrow had gone in about an inch or two right in front of the point of the shoulder, traveled completely through the bull's body cavity and was sticking 12 inches out of his off-side hind quarter about 5 inches below his bung hole.

I will not hesitate to take the shot again at 15 or less yards.

Bake

24-Mar-10
GG, would you shoot that wood stove from quartering-to, or wait until it turns broadside?

I'm thinking that to kill a wood stove and put it down quickly, I'd prolly want to shoot it with one of BB's Snoofers.

:^D

As much as that bull pic has been used for these shot placement threads, I ought to get some royalties, dontcha think? Definitely presents a common dilemma encountered while solo calling, so the discussion is great.

24-Mar-10
Jaquomo I would not shoot that bull He's a dink. But I would never pass on that shot on a bigger bull. After you kill a bunch of bulls you will have ice water in your vains.Thats why I like that shot.

24-Mar-10

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here you go Bake. Heck you are a lot better looking than Bigdan!

By the way Danny how is that grandson doing?

Have a great bowhunt BB

24-Mar-10
Wapiti and WW, no worries.

Hey, we are all big boys here. I know what I [and Bigdan/others] said on the last thread is not the Politically correct stance. I'm not teaching a class to a bunch of rookies who took a neck shot with a rifle last season. There are many accomplished bowhunters on this site.

I knew I was in trouble with the "bowhuter Ed instructors" out there. I had a bow ed instructor [ who I know for a fact has never shot an antlered deer] explaining shot angles to me. I think its good curriculum for a beginner and if a guy wants to stick by those rules more power to him.

I posted my comments to guys who are trying to understand the minutia of anatomy, animal reaction, etc and how it affects MY criteria for a good shot. I'm more like them than they think. I think its irresponsible for any hunter to take a shot that isn't a certainty.

No hard feelings to anyone.

24-Mar-10

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Since bowhunter education has been mentioned I just want to say that I think it is great and that all bow hunters should take it.

With that said, I am a certified bow ed instructor but I have refrained from teaching even one single class because my thinking is too much off center to what they teach and believe.

I am a very poor artist but here's Lou's photo doctored a bit to show the similar placement of the leg and shoulder bones.

I placed the bones about how I feel they would lie on the quartering bull on Lou's photo (and yes Lou your checks in the mail) about the way it would look if you could see the bone. I also placed a black dot in the middle of Danny's red dot to show an approximate distance between the bone and his arrow.

It's good to note that you want your arrow to be above the point where the leg bone meets the scapula. I think an arrow anywhere in the yellow dot would kill that elk very fast. But Danny's placement is about as perfect as you could have for that shot. His arrow most likely will take out some of the major arteries coming off the top of the heart and continue on through the lobe of the far lung. I doubt very much a bull hit like that will live much more than 10 seconds and probably less.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

24-Mar-10
Thanks for the visual BB!

I've been on this site for a long time and have read all the debates about the frontal shot, but this is the first time, that I can remember, being shown where to shoot on a severely quartering to animal. It sure seems doable.

I'm sure I could put it right there on a foam elk, but during the "moment of truth" it's a different ballgame, at least for me. I'm not that good.

As I get more kills under my belt, I might get there some day.

Thanks again for the info!

24-Mar-10
Timbuck-Do a search on this subject. We had a thread months ago that really covered this shot. You will have to agree that their is a plethora of knowledge here on Bowsite.

24-Mar-10
Bigdan, I wouldn't think of shooting that little guy either, which is why I took the photos instead. I killed the herd bull a few minutes later.

But I might shoot GG's wood stove if in the right frame of mind after a couple of camp Scotches, if I felt comfortable with the shot angle. I don't yet have a trophy wood stove on my cabin wall.

:^)

Bill, as often as we've seen that bull lately in different threads, I wouldn't mind seeing Bake's image superimposed on his ugly mug, too!

25-Mar-10
I'm with you Chip. It's my favorite site period! It's a great tool for learning and keeps me continually motivated.

I'll do a search on the site for more info.

Thanks for your contributions to the site.

25-Mar-10
one thing to remember, and practice, is that your arrow is traveling UP until it gets about 12 yards out, then it starts down. Your highest sight mark (for most) is 12 yards give or take.

6 yards is the same sight setting as my 30 yarder.

You should practice a 5-6 and 10 yarder to see where your at. A LOT of hunters don't think about the really close shots.

25-Mar-10
I personally have never taken a full on frontal shot, but after seeing past threads and the evidence that BB and others have posted, there is no argueing that it is a lethal shot. Come this fall, if a mulie or an elk is standing 10-15 yards in front of me dead on, the arrow will be on its way. That being said, i am primarily a whitetail hunter back here in Jersey. My hunting is done out of treestands 99% of the time. I pondered long and hard last fall when there was a big debate going on here about the frontal shot whether it could be taken from the tree. I would think that the angle wouldnt be great for it, but once again i have no experience with it. Any thoughts for you all? BB- if you would take that shot from a tree stand, could you post a picture of where you would aim in that situation?

25-Mar-10
You guys are elk snobs. =D

I would prefer a little more angle one way or the other for sure. It can be done, not saying it can't, my second elk (a cow) was a little more straight on than that and made it maybe 40 yards, over in seconds. Sure is nice to see em go down, but blood trail wouldn't have been any problem if you could keep it off your pants in the grass. That shaft came out on the off side hindquarter and on the ground a couple feet behind her. I know it was a cow, but that an arrow could pass through 3/4 of an elk impressed me. Those sharp sticks are something else.

That thing is in ID, it's getting some carbon and steel some how. But I'd likely wait on him just a bit. He turns a few degrees one way or the other, just swings the door open, "come on in!".

But then I saw the rest of that GQ photo shoot Lou. =D

25-Mar-10

GG NYC@Work's embedded Photo
Sorry for the stove pics...i deserve the ribbing. Here is a picture more related to this thread...

25-Mar-10

25-Mar-10
GG, assuming you would shoot that martian...grin.... why crowd the shoulder on a slightly quartering away shot?

25-Mar-10
I have taken that shot before with bad results. Just as I shot the bull took a side ways step and my arrow missed the chest cavity and slid between the shoulder and the rib cage. That has been ten years ago and I still have nightmares about such a majestic animal being wounded by a hurried shot. Hopefully he made it but I seriously doubt it. I think the broadside shot is the most ethical.

25-Mar-10
Great thread. Where is the heart in relation to Dan's red dot? Why is it important to aim above the point where the leg bone meets the scapula?

Thanks.

25-Mar-10
njbuck-From another guy here in NJ I would not consider the shot. An elk on the ground walking towards you has his head up and you have plenty to aim at. A deer on the ground and you in a tree presents you with very little to shoot at. To much of an angle. There should be plenty of time to take a broadside shot. However if you are on the ground with a deer and he is level with you or maybe above you the shot is possible. I took such a shot this year at 12 yards with a buck facing me. Put the arrow between the shoulders and he piled up in 30 yards.

25-Mar-10
good job guys shooting at animales looking at you and ready to bolt is prime time, you ought to be looking to get your own tv show.

26-Mar-10

Stillhunter's embedded Photo
Stillhunter's embedded Photo
No TV shows needed here, but here is an Idaho backcountry bull, that was standing still looking at me at 10 yards. The problem for him was he didn't know what I was until the arrow had passed completely through him. The arrow entered the front of his chest right where I was aiming.

As mentioned many times before in these threads, it is a very lethal shot under the right conditions. I have seen it done many times over the years.

Also mentioned many times before in these threads - an elk can also wheel, bolt, duck, jump or whatever on a BROADSIDE shot. The many variables to be considered in the "moment of truth" become much more clear through experience.

Good discussion.......as usual.

26-Mar-10
Beendare,

Not my dots but rather a photo from another thread that shows the bone structure.

If I were to shoot that elk, I would aim for the blue dot.

26-Mar-10
This is a great thread with a lot of information. I have felt that is a deadly shot as well.

I would like to see one of those skeleton pics from the front on an elk.

26-Mar-10
GG, I didn't understand what you were getting at. and to take the armchair QBing to the nesxt level....grin...I would still aim for that crease.

The good news on a situation like that is #1) those spikes don't have a clue anyway, 2) the body language of that drinking animal is optimal for little motion on a close shot.

26-Mar-10

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
The photo GG NYC posted is a great visual aid to give hunters the idea of what the bone structure looks like, but the drawn in shoulder blade on that elk is far bigger than it is in real life.

Last fall as many of you know I had a Colorado elk permit, so I knew I would not be able to spend much time hunting elk or deer in Utah, so I ended up shooting a spike. I came home and immediately deboned the animal and then I took some photos of the front leg so that I could clone it over the photo of a live elk.

In the photo I posted above, I left the drawn outline of the bone structure and then cloned the real size and shape scapula and leg bones onto the spike. This gives a far better representation of where a person can and should aim and be able to hit without hitting those major bones.

In reality the area of bone involved is probably almost half that shown in the artist’s rendition.

Below the main photo I just enlarged the same photo so it would be easier to see.

One should note that both the red and blue dot would clearly miss the heavy, front leg, bones structure. With the angle the red dot is actually a better hit than the blue. For safety’s sake, half way between the two dots would be perfect.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

26-Mar-10

cazador's embedded Photo
cazador's embedded Photo
assuming you were going to shoot, right here is where I'd put it, and I'd feel good he woudln't get out of site. You can go forward from that if you want, but I'll take the safe shot allowing me some breathing room. I've hit elk and deer forward from that spot and have killed them quick. I've also hit that big bone trying to crowd the shoulder and it's an arrow stopper.

26-Mar-10
WW…I agree with your analogy on the “shaky” bowhunter, but then again, a shaky kneed bowhunter will be lucky to hit any target.

Bigdan, as BB will attest, I’ve killed “lots of bulls” and I still don’t have ice water running through my veins…will you please teach me that secret…oh wait, that’s why I bowhunt! I love it when that adrenaline engine kicks into high gear!!

That’s the magic pill…learn how to operate when the adrenaline is doing its thing….

26-Mar-10

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Just for reference I will post this photo of the spike I killed last fall. It was quartering to me, but not enough for a frontal shot, but too much to shoot the crease or behind the crease. The photo shows where the arrow hit the animal and photo posted below it shows approximately where that arrow entered in relation to the bones. My broadhead actually just nicked the bone above the joint. The elk made it about 30 yards and lived only a few seconds.

Have a great bohwunt. BB

26-Mar-10
I had a chance on a nice 5 pt my 2nd year hunting where I was just a few minutes late to my spot anticipating and elk would come down the skid trail the direction he came....so he was coming along as I was coming up to the intersection and we met about 40 yards apart....him about 15 feet above me. He (of course) quartered to me at that point and the stare down ensued. At one point he even looked up hill not really sure what I was and looking for where he was going to bolt. I have always wished I'd have drawn my bow and settled in on the inside of his left front shoulder and given myself the chance to decide to pull the trigger or not. But at the time all I could think was....quartering to....can't take that shot...everyone says don't.

sigh.....

Buddy smoked a nice mulie with that shot a couple years ago. Lethal.

26-Mar-10
" I pondered long and hard last fall when there was a big debate going on here about the frontal shot whether it could be taken from the tree. I would think that the angle wouldnt be great for it, but once again i have no experience with it. Any thoughts for you all?"

From elevation,the pyramid of lethality decreases as the animal starts to quarter.Do not forget the "Z" axis as the spheroidal shape causes the scapula to narrow the kill zone from that prospective.

I haven't seen many posters here advocating the "V" while in a treestand type scenario and would advise accordingly.

As animals quarter to (even worse on waterholes where shoulders are below hips while drinking)the "V" narrows even more.Basic geometrical principles work against us more than from the ground FWIW

26-Mar-10
I took this nearly head on shot on a white tail button a couple of years ago. Didn't go far but zero blood, so I had to recover it the next day in the light.

So I might do it again, but I'd want more light to make a quick recovery.

Yeah, the recovery was my concern from the moment I decided to take the shot. No worry that the animal would not be down quickly.

BTW, I was in a treestand but the height difference was less than 10', and the deer was 30 yards out. If the shooting angle was steep, I don't think I would take the shot.

26-Mar-10
I'm with Caz on that bull at the water. No need to go straight up the leg as this bull is already extended. But, both Cazador's and BB's shot placements equal dead spike.

26-Mar-10
Good grief, that spike you could pick which ribs to put it between!

Must have been a hot dry summer. Best shoot him before winter takes him!

26-Mar-10
Wow, Some great info, thanks for the responses guys. I must have missed all the threads that make this an old question. No worrys about the hijacking, its all good if it's about elk. The first photo posted by Big Dan seems to be well accepted by others advocating this shot. I can't see any other shot myself in this photo. However, I wouldn't take it. It seems high to me. My question is if the front legs were opposite the way they are in the photo. ie. if the left leg was in front of the right and the brisket were opened up more. Wouldn't lower be more deadly?

27-Mar-10
Broog1 there are more bones lower

27-Mar-10

ElkNut1's Link
I too enjoy looking over threads as this one. I don't comment much on them but enjoy looking at the photos & review others thoughts! I'm not one to be swayed by others who say they can do this or that, I look at the photos because I too have been in many of those spots, some are good angles & some for myself are not. Knowing where the heart & lungs are located on various angles is important & is what should help us all out in the decision making to take a shot or not. Problem lies in the time we have to make that decision when actually faced with it because time is short in most cases & adrenalin levels are at a high. In the case of the 1st bull shown I would pass that shot, very low percentages of everything going perfect, you go off target 1 1/2" & it's disaster. I'm not concerned with the bull moving under 20yds as long as a hunter is already at full draw, it's the very narrow window that must be hit under pressure, I'd simply let him turn & he will in time, when he does this is the time I'd stop him for a better angle, if it never presented itself I would let him walk. (easier said than done)

But if presented the angle the Antelope is showing with its head up on the next photo down then I'm all over that one. I have a bit of room for error, the shot would be placed just to the left of that small black vertical slash. I've taken several bulls & bucks with that shot, they do not go far! It's one I feel comfortable recommending, the other I would not! I'm not here saying ones shouldn't do this or that, it's a personal decision but weigh ones odds carefully on those very marginal shots, you have to live with it once that arrow is released!

Never let your decision be one of haste. Don't allow thoughts to creep in that this is the 1st animal I've had in range all week & may not see another I just need to get an arrow in him somewhere & I'll worry about the rest later. It's thoughts as this that can lead to heartache & frustration in many cases. Make sure those heads are very very sharp once they enter an animal. Good Luck everyone!

ElkNut1

27-Mar-10
I am with you Elknut! This thread while maybe a rehash really helped me!!! I believe there are ethical quartering towards shots but they are few. Thanks everyone. I wonder how many of you like me have had some heartache from the shot that I see repeated time and again on the Hollywood hunting videos. That is the center punch. It is a broadside shot but higher and farther back than the heart shots here. I believe it clips the posterior thirds of both lungs. I bought into it from watching these videos as a good shot because the target is bigger (less room for error) even though this is not a shot I was taught as a youth. To me it made sense because a pneumothorax should have the same result regardless of where the hole in the lung is introduced right? I'm not so sure after this year. I shot a 2 point right there and never saw it again. I would feel bad but this distinctive elk was seen 2 weeks later by my hunting partner feeding calmly.

27-Mar-10
BB, I was studying the picture of your spike and was wondering if you had any guesses as to what would have happened if your shot had been a couple of inches away from where you hit him. Especially up, forward or lower.

I'm asking because I hunt with a longbow and doubt I could place an arrow within an inch or two of where I thought it should go in real world situations.

My only experience with this shot was on a bull I called in back in 1998 and tried to shoot him as he stood looking at me at embarrassingly close range. I tried to shoot behind the big bones and evidently got one lung, because he went off a ways and was coughing up blood while I watched. He walked off and I never saw him again.

For you guys who advocate this shot, how many times have you tried it and failed to recover?

Doug (stillhunter) nice bull. When was that?

27-Mar-10

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
I have never lost a bull with that shot 16-0 As far as the spike on a dead broadside shot you can shoot through the sholder bone as long as you don't hit the ridge that on the forward side. The broadhead that is in the sholder was shot on a quarting away shot. I call the bull in about a week after someone else wounded him i have killed 3 bulls that have had broadheads in them along with about 8 with bullets in them one had 3 two 25 cal and one 30 cal they were just under the skin so my gess they were long shots all healed.

28-Mar-10
Thanks Mark, I took that bull 9 years ago. Not a very good photo but he is an impressive bull. I'm quite sure you have stepped foot a time or two right where that bull is laying. Haven't seen one his size for several years now, the bigger bulls seem to be few in number these days.

Personally I don't "advocate" a frontal or head-on shot with elk, but I always catch myself responding to the "can't be done" or "never should be done" comments. There are a lot of variables to be considered with ANY shot, and I have let many bulls walk that were quartered to or head on because things didn't look or feel right. I haven't lost one to a quarter to or head on, but it could happen, and I have never said it won't. I have lost an elk, and I have tried to learn from it.

I personally don't care for quartering away shots where there is a potential for the rib cage to deflect the arrow, but yet most bowsiters will tout that shot as their most preferred. I have also seen the so-called "slam-dunk" broadside shot go bad on several occasions. I suppose our own personal experiences shape our opinions on this topic.

BTW, Congrats on your elk this year, I did see a picture and he is a fine looking bull.

• Sitka Gear