CurveBow 09-Apr-10
Jimbob 09-Apr-10
Hawkeye 09-Apr-10
Preacher Man 09-Apr-10
Matt 09-Apr-10
Hawkeye 09-Apr-10
Twanger 09-Apr-10
09-Apr-10
Just purcahsed some pile drivers to try them out and was told by the guy I bought them from to leave them at 29" as a bit longer arrow is more accurate. My arrows are 25 3/4" and yes, I just missed a role in the Lord Of the Rings :) Short arms.

Just curious and also trying to educate myself as to what affects a longer arrow, for me being 3", would have on flight, spine etc? I shoot 70# and 27" draw. Current arrows nearly 26" and these 29". Can cut but am now curious??? Thanks.

09-Apr-10
It depends on the spine. Given proper spine, there is no need to have an arrow that long. But if the spine of the arrows he sold you were too stiff, he may have cut them long to compensate.

09-Apr-10
Arrow length should be a function of desired spine. I think he is full of pooh.

09-Apr-10
Never heard of a longer arrow being more accurate.

09-Apr-10
the guy you bought them from knows nothing if he was not in some way referring to the spine. the most accurate arrow for you is one that has a perfectly matched spine.

09-Apr-10
Thanks Guys. The spine is matched as I did check that at a 350 CX, which I shoot now.

I prefer to be a bit on the higher side as I have always read you can get away with more, but not less (over spine better than under). In any case, your saying that if spine is correct, with both 29" or 27", which it is for CX at 71# draw, the flight wouldn't change per say (better or worse), simply the weight of the arrow? Would that be an 'ok" way to increase arrow weight?

09-Apr-10
Yup, what everyone else said.....

>>>>------------>

09-Apr-10
spine changes with the length. I cut my arrows to a precise length to get the spine correct. I have arrows cut at 26 5/8" to make sure the spine matches perfectly. Simply choosing an arrow and saying the spine matches without taking length, insert weight, nock weight and vane weight etc. into account is not good enough for me.

I can shoot my field tips with my stinger broad heads out to 80 yds and they are exactly the same. I contribute a large part of this to the details of my arrow building.

09-Apr-10
Based on the CX charts, shooting at 70# and 27" draw, the arrow would be a 350, but that goes for 27-29 DL. does "weight" of the finished arrow determine spine, or just DL and poundage? Guess I am asking for my specs and a CX, what could I shoot?

09-Apr-10
Yes arrow weight will affect spine.

09-Apr-10
"does "weight" of the finished arrow determine spine, or just DL and poundage?"

Not in the context you are asking, in fact the reverse somewhat - the weight is a function of the components selected and the arrow shaft that results. The chart should already account for the point weight when determining the correctly spined arrow, so the shaft is a function of the draw weight, draw length, and shaft length. The weight is what it is.

09-Apr-10
Thanks for all the help guys and for the PM's Matt. Very good info. Looking at CX chart as an example, 350's can be shot from 27-29" draw length at 69-75#, which gives me a bit of wiggle room. I know I am about 1/2" from the biscuit now, so may move it out an inch.

09-Apr-10
The guy selling the arrows would have been correct to say that all things being equal, a longer arrow is more forgiving because the fletching is farther from the point and has more leverage so it can correct bad flight faster. It is more important to have the spine correct and the bow tuned to the arrow.

• Sitka Gear