TD 14-Apr-10
hunter 14-Apr-10
recurve 15-Apr-10
Bullshooter 15-Apr-10
TD 15-Apr-10
recurve 15-Apr-10
Timbow 16-Apr-10
14-Apr-10
Asking for a friend with an older Legacy. He bought the bow used a year or two ago. he's shooting OK, killed several animals with it, his first elk last year, several deer, the guy is a natural.

It had been dry fired before he bought it and damaged the cam and wheel which were replaced. The dealer makes his own strings and put a new string/cable set on it.

It's eating the cable, to the point he can't shoot it anymore or something is cuttin' loose. Also eating the string damper? He's asked me for some advice? I haven't dealt with many Mathews, helped tune a couple but not much work on them.

I looked on the Mathews site and downloaded the Legacy manual. ATA is 34", brace is 7 1/2". Asked him to measure his and he is nearly 36" ATA and 6 1/2" brace???? Wow. Seems way off.

The new cam has a slightly different number on them than what is listed in the manual. His cam has SLHP3B.5L (left handed bow) Manual says SL3B.5L. I'm guessing it is an upgraded cam? The manual says 70% let off, his cam says 80% AND 65%?

Anyway, are the ATA and brace height the same with the "newer" cam? Everything I've read so far seems to say they are the same. I'm guessing the sting and cable are the same length also. Did the guy that fixed the bow make the set too long? I haven't pulled off the old set to measure yet, kinda waiting for the new set to come in. Seems WAY off, too much for creep?

Anyway, any help, thoughts or info would be appreciated. He's ordered a new set from Mike's Archery and we're waiting on them.

14-Apr-10
I have a Legacy too. I only chimed in to mention that you might have some luck on the Mathews forum, because I believe there are a few techs that are knowledgeable on Mathews over there: http://forums.mathewsinc.com/

14-Apr-10
I have a Legacy and it is my go to bow. I would get it to a pro shop before shooting it anymore. I just put a set of winners choice string and cable and it is dead on 34" ATA with 7.5 brace height.

14-Apr-10
Thanks Bullshooter, great idea. Thanks also DD.

The plot thickens with this thing. It says Legacy on the riser, and the previous owner says it was a Legacy, but doing some research on the cam number (SLHP-B.5L, he gave me the wrong number over the phone) it matches an LX. Now the ATA and Brace are in the ballpark for an LX.

And both the limbs and cams were changed out after previous owner dryfired it. Is it possible they used LX limbs and cam? Does the LX and Legacy share a common riser and that's why it says Legacy on it? Or was it an LX all along?

Anyway, I really didn't want to go through registering on the Mathews site and all just for this problem, but it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do it.

Now I know another good reason why I work on my own bows.

14-Apr-10
If it is a lx the ata is 35.5/8 6.5/8 brace string 98 5/8-cable 37 5/8.If itS eating supressors it because it is out of ata and brace this will cause it to eat top supressor and as far EAting cable up sounds like it also not tracking right.If it realy is a legacy ata is 33 7/8 brace is 7 1/2 string 91 3/4 cableis36 1/4.The SLHP-B.5L IS A LX CAM 29.5 DRAW LEFT HANDED sounds like previous owner changed grip that was of a legacy.IF I CAN HELP YOU ANY FURTHER PM ME.Good luck Also go back to your dealer and make him make strings&cable right.Also to tell if it is a lx it has v cup limb pockets legacy doesnt limb pockets on lx would be like a silver gray legacy would be camo.

15-Apr-10
One question; does the riser say Legacy or does the wood grip say Legacy?

15-Apr-10
I had real good luck and quick response emailing Mathews with the serial number on both of my bows. They wrote back telling me the specs and the date it left the factory.

That should help clear up the LX/Legacy question.

15-Apr-10
Thanks guys, actually got to see the bow first time last night. I help my buddies out as I can, guess I have the community bowpress. =D

It's the grip that says Legacy. No other info on the bow. When they changed out the limbs they didn't transfer any info from the sticker or save the old limbs. Found the serial number on the riser and wrote it down, if we still get stuck I guess I could try contact Mathews.

I re-served the cable and got him back on the road, but he needs a new set for sure. Doesn't look like any lean or anything that stood out to me but it sure is eating the cable on the cam end. He called Mike's yesterday and told him to hold off until we're positive what's going on. I don't have the bow right now but thanks for the riser/limb pocket info. I got some specs on the riser length also for him to measure and that should verify things.

Pretty sure it's an LX somebody put a Legacy grip on? The original owner still swears it was a Legacy? He claims to be the only owner? Oh well. Maybe buyer beware? Anyway my friend's gonna measure the riser and we'll know for sure.

When we get the new string set we'll dial it all back to factory specs and go from there.

Thanks for all the help guys. Pretty cool.

15-Apr-10
The grips are all the same so I would assume it's had it's grip changed sometime in it's life. An LX or a Legacy for that matter is an excellent bow and doesn't give up anything to the newer models.

Good luck.

16-Apr-10
I'd bet money it's an LX and not a legacy. Like recurve said, the grips are the same and could have been easily interchanged. Those specs are right at what an LX would be. The strings and cables would have to be made of rubber to stretch 2" ATA. They would break long before they stretched that far. I don't even think a bow would function that out of spec. Hunter pointed out the best way to tell quick, check the limb pockets.

• Sitka Gear