SD Double J 31-May-10
Shrewski 31-May-10
jordanatwork 23-Jul-10
bamacpl 08-Mar-11
06-May-10

THE ELK REAPER's embedded Photo
Badlands OX

This is my initial review. so please keep in mind that I have very little time/miles with the pack.

I will do a more in depth review of the pack on Monday, but for now I was just trying to see if I could break it.

As I'm typing this review I am screwing around with the loading of the actuall OX pack and with diff ways to attach things as well.

06-May-10

06-May-10

06-May-10

06-May-10

06-May-10

06-May-10

06-May-10

I had to get a little help standing up:)

06-May-10

06-May-10

As you can see from this pic, the load lifters are above my shoulders and at a very good angle for load hauling.

06-May-10

I was able to get 200 pounds (in dumbbells) of weight on this pack and had no issue with anything breaking.

I did not walk a long distance with the pack, but did do a little over a mile with 150 #'s. If I told you that the pack felt great with 150#'s of weight in it----- It would be a lie, the pack help up great and made 150 manageable and that is all I would expect from any pack with that amount of weight. I only walked across the room and back with 200#'s , but I would expect that the pack would last better then I when packing out a load like that.

06-May-10
dude you are brutal on this gear. I love it!!!!!

06-May-10
Hey Aron, I checked all the specs out on this pack, it is not as heavy as the first prototypes. Somewhere around 9 pounds with the bag, which is not a deal breaker at all. The frame and meat packing capability looks pretty solid.

06-May-10
the only thing that I would change on the OX pack frame, would be the quick release levers that hold the pack together.

The only reason I would swap them out, is because for me they would not be needed. I would swap them out with a regular allen wrench bolt and keep the frame and pack together when I was hunting or keep it under the seat of my jeep (with the pack bag rolled up) and use the pack frame after the first load out.

At first, I thought the frame would be a little bit of a hassle and I would drop that part of at camp, but after using it for a limited amount, it looks like this would not be needed, AND FOR ME, I would just hunt with everything attached.

06-May-10
RosinBag

I already started looking at what can be done to cut some weight of the normal pack, and I would guess you could shave almost 2 pounds of total weight of the pack (depending on the person) and have no problem with the actual use of the pack.

Most guys would not need to take anything of the pack, but the OX has a few things that I would not really need and could easily be taken off.

07-May-10
After screwing around for a few hours with the OX, I think I have found the best way (FOR ME) to use the pack.

I loaded up the sacrifice with several days of food and gear and then strapped it to the OX pack frame. The total weight of the OX and Sacrifice together was about 6lbs 9oz's. I would obviously drop my OX frame/gear off at camp and then hunt with the Sac throughout the day.

I would guess that most will be more then happy with the OX frame and OX pack as one total unit, but I like the idea of having the Sacrifice with me in the back country and using these two pack in conjunction with each other would give me the best of both worlds.

07-May-10
You are a damn freak.....LOL

I agree on the ox + sacrifice.....exactly what I had in mind with my Kelty frame and Ultraday.

07-May-10

Bionic Archer's embedded Photo
Barbarian Featherlight

07-May-10

07-May-10

07-May-10

07-May-10

07-May-10

07-May-10
would love to see some pics of the suspension on that barbarian. also, how do you feel about it weight hauling abilities...obviously not a pack frame, but first trips and boned mulies, what do you think? (around 100 lbs for 1 trip)

Joe

07-May-10

Going bear hunting this week-end so might have some other better pictures.

Arron your just a anamial

07-May-10

The suspension pictures, Personally I have not hauled more that 55Lbs in this pack yet but I do know of one person that hauled out a bear this spring and was at 110lbs and had no problems and was very comforable.

07-May-10

07-May-10

Here is the waist belt, I have add some little pockets that I use to carry my remote control to my spinal cord stimulator

07-May-10
How long is your torso? I was looking at that featherlight pack a couple days ago and couldnt get the torso section to adjust long enough for me. Its a pretty sweet pack though! and light for the amount of cuin'

07-May-10
what type of frame does the barbarian have?

07-May-10
My torso is 24" top of hip bone to shoulders, It has a plastic sheet and a special bent alumnum frame

07-May-10
24"? did you use to play in the NBA? :) I wonder if I just did not get the torso section slid all the way out? What are your thoughts on the optic pockets?

If I could get it to fit right it would be added to my collection of packs for sure! I have had a few blacks creeks packs and they are pretty nice!

07-May-10
"It has a plastic sheet and a special bent alumnum frame" Is it the same "H" frame that their other packs have? Are the listed pack weight on their website accurate?

thanks

07-May-10
No Have short little legs and a long torso, I like the side pockets bi=ut I don't carry a spoting scope I use them to carry my food and purfier and other stuff. They will hold all spotting scopes

07-May-10
I use to have the 2.5 (old version) that had similar pockets and I also used them for food and other items.

When you adjust the torso section do you do anything beside move the orange thing in-between the shoulders and slide the shoulder straps up?

07-May-10
That is all you do unlock with the orange tab and slide up..

08-May-10
Great torture test. I don't think too many packs would hold up to 200lbs. I also don't think 99% of the guys out there could overload this thing. Even at 150lbs that's still a load. I've never put 150lbs on my back, first I probably couldn't and second my pack would break!

Speaking of 150lbs.... "I did not walk a long distance with the pack, but did do a little over a mile with 150 #'s"

I'm second guessing not scrounging up enough jing to come out and spending some time in the mtns this summer. Rig up a seat on the back of that thing and you could carry my scrawny 150 lb butt around the mtns. You're a beast! 200lbs, in a pack, on your back. Uhhggg.

08-May-10
ElkReaper, I have gone through all three pack review threads and haven't seen you or anyone else talk about Nimrod backpacks. http://www.nimrodpacks.com/n600.html

Any thoughts on this folding frame pack?

08-May-10
HB....having spent some time with this freak of nature...I can honestly say.....beast is an understatement. Gentle as a lamb....until you piss him off. Just don't. LOL

He could probably run 1/4 mile up hill with 150lbs.....

09-May-10
There is a video up on hornhunters website showing how the full curl pack works.

09-May-10
Thanks to Aron for the great reviews and all the others who added info and pictures. I've been looking at packs and this helps a lot.

09-May-10
http://www.paysonoutfitters.com/servlet/the-104/Badlands-Ox-Pack-and/Detail

check out this link with a great demo of the "OX" at work...just picture a part of your elk there instead!

10-May-10
I just received my Barbarian, and I think its going to be to short. I can't get my lifters above my shoulders. I've only messed around for a few minutes but I think it will be to short. FYI I'm an 18-1/2" torso. Other than that it seems like a good pack.

10-May-10
brettpsu,

I had the same issue. Let me know if you figure out how to adjust it to fit better. I could not get it even close to long enough for me (22" torso) I like the pack though if it would fit I would buy it for sure.

My sacrifice fits me pretty dang well and I am very happy with that pack so I plan on using it most of the time this year. I am curious on the new sitka 45 looks like that might be a nice pack as well.

10-May-10
I called Robert at B.C. He said they like the load lifters no more than shoulder height. Thats opposite of everything I was ever told.

10-May-10
On my bone collector 2.5 and my canadian blacks creek packs thats how the load lifters are, but I figured that with this differnt style pack and it being much larger then their other packs they would have adjusted that as well.

anybody know how are the load lifters on the new sitka 45 pack?

10-May-10
Load lifts: lift the load, if they are above how can they lift the load up.

10-May-10
Ditto the notion that something that is not above your shoulder line cannot lift the load above your shoulders.

Edit for clarity: the load lifter connection point on the frame needs to be 10 degrees or more above the point where it meets the shoulder strap to be effective. If the attachment point is below the top of the shoulder (as it is on many packs) it no workie.

10-May-10
This link will help out with the explanation of load lifters.

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/backpacks+adjusting+fit.html

10-May-10
Hey Guys

I sent a E mail today to the guys at Badlands asking them what opinions or info that they could provide on some of the "load lifter" questions that people have. ,,,,,,,, This was the response that I got back.

Aron,

Being a manufacturer we usually stay out of these kinds of things, however in this case we could not stand by and watch the comments about the importance of load lifter straps and the role they play in a packs function and performance and not set the record straight. First: any pack which has a frame (internal or external) has to have load lifter straps in order to perform correctly, period. To use a metaphor, the frame of a pack is basically like a cars engine and the load lifters are the transmission and drive train. Horse power means nothing if you cannot transfer it to the road. A packs frame is designed to act as a “second spine” and in order to do that the frame must be taller than your own backbone or shoulders. The load lifters are always at the top of the frame, when they are pulled tight they basically pull the weight off of the pack wearers shoulders and transfer the weight to the frame and down to the hips. The best rule of thumb is that these load lifting straps should go from the top of the shoulder strap to the top of the pack frame at approximately a 45 degree angle, this trajectory will provide the user with an equal amount of lift and stabilization. If the load lifters are at the same height as the pack wearer’s shoulders, it becomes physically impossible to lift and transfer the load off of your back the weight can only be pulled into your body. This does nothing but create a painful amount of pressure in ones chest. This is not meant to be propaganda, however, if you go to the Bad Lands www.badlandspacks.com website and click on the button which says “down load owner’s manual” you will find diagrams and line art to support this law of physics and make it easier to understand. We do not care if you have one of our packs or not, these laws are the same for all packs. Once again there is a science behind carrying gear and the more knowledge you have concerning this science the more you will enjoy your gear and receive the maximum benefits it was designed to provide.

10-May-10
From the Kifaru web site:

"Precision Lift is the feature that allows you to adjust the angle of your lifter straps. You will see a 3-bar slider on a vertical strip of webbing connected to the frame. The lifter strap is connected to this 3-bar slider. To adjust the angle of the lifter straps, just slide this 3-bar slider up or down. We have found that a 15-30 degree angle works best."

10-May-10
From the Kifaru web site:

"Precision Lift is the feature that allows you to adjust the angle of your lifter straps. You will see a 3-bar slider on a vertical strip of webbing connected to the frame. The lifter strap is connected to this 3-bar slider. To adjust the angle of the lifter straps, just slide this 3-bar slider up or down. We have found that a 15-30 degree angle works best."

10-May-10
To add to the above posts:

0-2,000 Cubic inches or 20 lbs = angle not important

2,000-3,800 Cubic inches or 25-45 pounds = 10-25 degree angle

3,800 + or 45+ pounds = 30-45 degree angle

What I typed above is what I have found that works best for me and the people that I have hunted with.

If you know the adjustments of your pack and it's capabilities, it will make for a much more enjoyable trip.

10-May-10
Good info guys.

10-May-10

Couple pics of the pac cover from Dayonecomouflage. The cover is over the top of a Gregory Z-55.

I will post more reviews on the OX soon, not done screwing around with it yet:)

10-May-10

11-May-10
I went to Day One's website and couldn't find any pack covers. Is it a new product that they haven't put on the site yet? Any idea on the price for that? Thanks, Randy

11-May-10
His new web site is not complete yet, it has all the new products.

I would give him a call and he can go over pricing and materials with you. 303-761-2070 Gary @ DayOne

12-May-10
I know that this has been mentioned a couple of times, but "Thanks To Everyone". This 2010 pack review I,II & III have been awesome. Great info, great attitudes and NO pissing matches. Just great guys trying to help and be encouraging. I have read a couple other threads on this site tonight that started to get under my skin with the comments. If there were not a couple good ones like this.....I might not log in again!!!! Thanks so much!!!!!

15-May-10
I have all tghe post from all 3 reveiws and know I am more confused than ever. I am looking for a new pack that will haul out the first load with somewhat comfort and will primarly be a day pack as I will be back at camp everynight. I am not planning any long trips yet and when I do the wife said to just buy a big pack(ie BL4500 or something similar)then. I was looking into the BC Canadian due to the meat compartment and the many pockets. But know I am torn bewteen the Sacrifice, X2, J34, and the BL2200.

15-May-10
Hmm.. Ive tried on some of the hunting packs mentioned in this line of reviews and at 47 yrs old most of these packs seem alot heavier than my old Kelty Red Cloud. For me I try to shave every pound I can in a pack and its contents. I can see where these are built better and are offered in camo but I don't hunt with the pack on..just used to get there. So am I alone in dumping the contents of my Kelty with the first trip out and hauling in an old fashioned external frame ( alone with no pack ) to finish the meat trips out and filling my Kelty back up with camp on the way home? Not trying to cause a stir just wondering? am I alone here and if so why?

15-May-10
I too would have a external frame pack for the heavy haul loads.

15-May-10
I'm still wondering if people are using the pack that they use to get to the hunt, use the same one to get their meat out. An animal as big as an elk or even a mule deer can't possibly be taken out even boned in a internal frame pack. ( in the case of a deer ) if you include a decent cape and head I can't imagine anything other than an external frame and one that has a lower platform preferably, even though I don't have one like that. I use the old alluminum loop that extends out from the bottom to rest the bulk on and lash the rest on with parachute cord or straps. The frame alone weighs nothing leaving more meat to put on my back.

15-May-10
huntingbob, there are still plenty of guys that use day pack or other lighter pack and then use a frame to haul out their kills. But with advancements in frame design, their are internal frame packs that can comfortably haul heavy loads but also be used as a primary hunting pack.

15-May-10
"An animal as big as an elk or even a mule deer can't possibly be taken out even boned in a internal frame pack. ( in the case of a deer ) if you include a decent cape and head."

Sure they can, lots of people do.

15-May-10
Highlander,

I picked up a gregory z65. ER wrote bout it some so far i am happy.I plan on having a freighter at the truck like ya said too. Pack is way light too under 4LBS.And on sale in REI outlet for $159.

mike

16-May-10

This is a pic of the Z-65 from Gregory.

16-May-10

This is a Osprey Argon,,,In this pic, I have 80#'s in the pack, I have had much more then that, but the pack feels very good at 80.

16-May-10
Reaper..sent you a PM

24-May-10
For those interested in at Sitka Bivy 45. Mountain Archery has them on sale today in Mountain Mimicry-Tall for $174.99

http://www.mountain-archery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3773

24-May-10
For those interested in at Sitka Bivy 45. Mountain Archery has them on sale today in Mountain Mimicry-Tall for $174.99

http://www.mountain-archery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3773

24-May-10
BLACKS CREEK JIM SHOCKEY YUKON FRAME PACK

On camofire.com today they have an interesting external frame pack for those of you who like the idea of having an external frame pack for packing out meat. I don't have any experience with this pack but there may be some out there who have tried it that will chime in. anyway 55% off for those interested.

24-May-10
Looks like a very interesting pack.Looks a little heavy.I wonder how heavy duty this pack is.

25-May-10
I suppose I need pics for this but I'll share my impressions on my Kelty Cache Hauler. I got the complete setup with frame and bag. My intent was just on the frame and planned to use another bag strapped to it...but got a deal. Now I think I'll stick with the kelty bag....it works fine.

Pack adjusts well and has some attachment options on the suspension to fit just about anyone it seems to me. Well padded. Load Lifters are well above your shoulders and really take the load off and transfer it to the hips. Not much for attachment points on the belt itself is a downside.

Biggest disappointment was the middle bar on the frame where the should straps attach. It presses on my back when I have the pack tight to me and makes my shoulder blades sore. There is a mess panel back there to keep you cool but what it really needs is some padding between your shoulder blades and that damn bar. So I took a padded panel out of an old worn out pack and retrofitted it with slots for the Kelty's shoulder straps to go through and that seems to have fixed the issue.

I will get some pics and give it a workout on a hike this weekend. Otherwise very pleased with the pack. I plan to pack in my gear in the kelty pack and just strap my ultraday empty on the back for a daypack.

25-May-10
I need help. I am wanting a new day pack. I want be able to get a first load of meat or antler out on the first trip and then come back with my frame pack for the heavy hauling.

I do also hunt with a gun so i do not mind guns that carry both guns and bows.

I have be debating between the three and just can't decide and it is starting to drive my wife cray that I cannot decide.

My 3 choices:

Blacks Creek Canadian Eberlestock J34 Eberlestck X2

Please help me decide???

25-May-10
Highlander,

If your looking for just a day pack I would not recommend the Canadian pack. I have one of the old style Canadians before they added that extra zip on pack to it. They are not bad but a bit heavy. If you have a thing for blacks creeks packs check into the 2.5. Its also a bit heavy but its built like a tank! and supper comfortable. I used the 2.5 for a few years for day trips and bivy hunts. I had an old x2 and really liked it for a light day pack. I would lean more in that direction if I were you. The new X2 will be out in not to long and should be a really nice day pack! I have never used the J34 so cant say anything about that one.

Good luck and remember to try them on if you can first so you can get a better idea.

25-May-10
I have been narrowing down my search as well. Looking for a day back as well as something that can handle a couple of nights worth of bivy gear that can still handle a quarter. I am leaning toward the 2200. I just got my torso measures at 22.5 inches and not sure if it will work and what other packs I should consider. I also have very broad shoulders.

25-May-10
Windell,

I have a long torso as well but not broad shoulders. I think you should be fine with the 2200 as far as torso but idk about your shoulders you would have to get feed back from another guy other then me in that departments. The 2200 is a bad a$$ pack! I have used one a couple times, but as of now I am using the 2800 instead of the 2200. Its just personal preferance when it comes down to it. But I think you would be very happy with the 2200!

25-May-10
QUOTE: dude you are brutal on this gear. I love it!!!!!

X2!!

25-May-10

jordanathome's embedded Photo
Here are some pics of my mod on the Kelty Cache Hauler to pad the mid shoulder bar on the frame.

25-May-10

here you can see behind my mod

Essentially harvested back pad out of a little bitty old day pack that had seen better days then cut slits for my shoulder straps to go through and slipped it on. Not sure how long until it rips apart but for now it is the fix.

25-May-10

27-May-10
Windell,

The 2200 should fit your torso length. Very nice pack. I went with the 2800 instead also.

28-May-10

jordanatwork's embedded Photo
jordanatwork's embedded Photo
I wanna see Aron load up this beast and try to break it.....Noronna Para Ranger 120L pack

Some dude is selling them on ebay for $275

Also saw a slightly used badlands 4500 go for just under $150 this week......it was tempting.

28-May-10
Jordan

I'm not sure if I could handle A pack that big:) or break it...I have broken just about every other pack that I have been using. My Gregory took a chit on me earlier this week and a few others are not standing the test of time either.

I'll be posting reviews on the Mystery Ranch Longbow and Nice 6500 on Monday, been using them for a while now and I don't think it's possible to break the MR stuff, but I'm going to keep trying:):)

28-May-10
Aron,

Have you had any more use with the OX? Is it worth the money for a load hauler? I like the idea of the ox/sacrifice combo for a backpack hunt.

I ordered an ox frame but sent it back b/c I needed the medium belt. It's about 3 weeks backordered according to the guys at badlands.

thanks.

28-May-10
I have had a bunch of time with the OX. I am going to do a comparative review between the OX from Badlands and the Nice Crew Cab frame from Mystery Ranch.

28-May-10
Look forward to your thoughts on those packs!

Mike @ story creek inc. is having a 10% off everything he sells sale. Including his badlands packs if any one is looking for a deal its worth checking out.

28-May-10
Can't wait for the longbow review. I have one and have taken it out twice on hikes and I really like the fit of it. I want to seet Aaron put it through some stuff!

28-May-10
With so many choosing the 2800 over the 2200 I better try them both out and check what fits the best. The extra room might be nice. I looked at several photos of each. Does someone have more photos of how they are carrying out quarters with the 2800 as well as how the pack holds your archery gear? I have seen a few in the previous threads on the 2200 but not the 2800. I also have some information coming on another pack that I am excited to review!

28-May-10

backcountry 's embedded Photo

28-May-10

28-May-10
Here is the 2800. I packed out my dads bear 2 weeks ago with it. 3 miles 2600'. Worked just fine. Glad it was a small bear bear!

I like the 2800 because I can just skin, bone out ( I don’t like carry extra so I don’t carry quartered animals, but you could do it just the same) roll it in between the wings of the pack and head on your way. It keeps my gear clean and it is easy on easy off.

Excuse the poor quality of photos but it will give you an idea of how I use it anyways.

28-May-10
I will post pics soon, but the Nice 6500 is a ridiculous load hauler. It has 2 attachments points for the load lifters, the second (or higher) attachment point will allow for a 30-45 degree angle (depending on torso length).

The 6500 is a pack that I had not used before, but I am very impresses so far. It will compress down to nothing for a day pack and will handle #300 pound loads(I tried it). I did a little searching (on the 6500) and found that one guide in B.C uses this type of pack. Look up Brian Martin on facebook....The pictures he has are pretty amazing. I found several reviews on the 6500, but his stuff will make your head turn:)

I will go into much deeper deatial when I get back from my scouting trip.

Thanks everyone and have a great weekend.

28-May-10
backcountry; Do you have to call Story Creek to get the discount? I looked on their website and there was no mention of the 10% off sale. Thanks.

28-May-10
backpack hunter I sent you a PM

28-May-10
Thank you

28-May-10
I have to agree with bowhunting bob. A 2200 will carry out an entire good sized mule deer bone in. It may not be fun, but it will do it.

29-May-10
"I have broken just about every other pack that I have been using"

Reaper, how is the Osprey holding up?

31-May-10
Reaper....I second that question

"Reaper, how is the Osprey holding up?" Send a PM if you would like!!!!

31-May-10
I packed out a Sitka Blacktail on Kodiak with my gear in a 2200--it was 93 pounds. When I got home, I started my search for a better pack for that! It can be done, but I don't want to do it again ;-)

23-Jul-10
bump

08-Mar-11
I just bought one of these....Hhat is the purpose of the rectangle indent in the gun butt holder? Also, where can i get a few more of the neopreme guards from?

• Sitka Gear