kj 01-Aug-10
oilcan 01-Aug-10
Bigdan 01-Aug-10
kj 01-Aug-10
kj 01-Aug-10
oilcan 02-Aug-10
Tree Killer 02-Aug-10
29-Jul-10
Being the best source of information, is there a video or anyone know the process details for dipping and fletching the carbon, Maxima Hunter shafts. Not sure what paint and adhesives work best with the modern materials. Thanks for any help!!

29-Jul-10
Have you thought of wraps?? They are always the same weight and easy to install.. Ponch

29-Jul-10
Last year I put a swrink wrap on one of my maxima arrows, and to this day it is working great. I haven't noticed any difference in the flight of the arrow compared to the original fletchings. But the one down side, is they are pricey for a package of six. If your in the need of a quick fix, I believe this is the way to go.

29-Jul-10
I use and recommend wraps. I wrap, then fletch. Not expensive. I have never lost a vane glued to wrap with Platimun from Fletchtite.

30-Jul-10
Dipping is so messy. Go to the store and buy some white spray paint. I use Krylon brand and have tried several different types, all work well. Wrap some tape around the shaft at the point you want to stop the white and spray it lightly. Let it dry 30 minutes or less depending upon the type of paint and apply a second coat. Let it dry and you are ready to crest if you desire. Spray paint goes on smoother, covers better and weighs less than dipped arrows. Both dipped and sprayed is much lighter than wraps. Cost is about 5 dollars which will do dozens of arrows. Clean the shaft good prior to painting so you get a good bond. If you want something that really shines and looks good, use the appliance epoxy. You can purchase any sheen you desire in spray paints. You are not limited to white either, though you will find that a base coat of white under any color you choose will make the additional color much brighter. For cresting, I use model paint you purchase in those small glass bottles. There are a bazillion colors to choose from. After cresting, I put on a light coat of clear laquor. Be careful not to put it on thick as it will make the cresting run. Several light coats are always better than one heavy coat. The nice thing about cresting over wraps is they are personalized. No one will ever have the same cresting as you. One other thought. I crest below my vanes. I used to crest from the nock down, but when I screw up a vane and have to change it, I lose the dipping. Same is true with wraps. Try and remove a vane from a wrap and replace it. Everyone has their way of doing it, none really work real well or look quite as good as they did prior to removing the section of wrap. Some guys simply remove the wrap completely and re-fletch. That gets expensive quick if you shoot off vanes as often as I do.

30-Jul-10
kj you have any pictures of your Arrows

01-Aug-10
I can take some when I get home from vacation.

01-Aug-10
sounds good i'd love to see them

01-Aug-10

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
I was in the archery business for 30 years. I diped every arrow I made. And still do. I use fletch lac paint and fletch lac blue clear. In 30 years in the business I never had a fletch come off. Wraps are much easier but you bond will not be as good.

01-Aug-10

kj's embedded Photo
kj's embedded Photo
Made it home and took some pictures. Haven't tried this before so lets see how it works. I haven't got much of a selection right now.

01-Aug-10

kj's embedded Photo
kj's embedded Photo
Looks like it works. Here is the explaination. Top arrow is an old Axis I painted several years ago. 2nd arrow is my wifes, she just wanted it painted white with no cresting. 3rd arrow is an old one that I robin hooded and is hanging on the wall. 4th arrow is an old hunting arrow... currently a practice arrow. 5th arrow is this years hunting setup. 6th arrow is a golf arrow.

Below is a bunch of arrow pens. I make them for christmas and give them away.

02-Aug-10
Very cool kj thanks for sharing.It's to close to hunting season but this winter i think i will try to customize my Arrows.

02-Aug-10

Tree Killer's embedded Photo
Tree Killer's embedded Photo
Crown dipped, crested, and fletched. Life's too short to hunt with ugly arrows! ;)

• Sitka Gear