6-Gold 16-Aug-10
mathewsshooter 16-Aug-10
BSBD 16-Aug-10
mathewsshooter 17-Aug-10
barjo4 04-Oct-10
BTM 04-Oct-10
Osr144 13-Apr-15
crookedstix 13-Apr-15

I picked up a Harry Drake Bow recently at an estate sale and was wondering if there is any information out there. I've been on the net and I just see a ton of information about him alone (what an incredible archer). The bow is in excellent cond. no stress, twist, or holes. Want to know if I can use it or should keep it in a safe place.

i would say use it, I new Harry Drake back in the day he had a lot of top Ca. archers shooting his bow, Rube Powell shot one for years, 5 time national champion. He also worked for Browning at the end of his career. 6-GOLD

you got a find i have 6 drakes and 20 flight bows

Is it a recurve or compound?

The compounds are more common and not worth too much but some of the recurves are more valuable.

I'm always interested in Drake recurves.

mine is all recurves

My late father used to saw laminations for a custom bow maker in Illinolis back in the 50s. His friend shot a Drake bow and as I recall, it was extremely flat shooting. This was long before the complicated bows of today. I think the Drake had something like 12 laminations.

A friend of mine knew Harry and shot his bows. I sent this thread to him; perhaps he'll chime in.

What little I know about flight bows is that they only have a limited number of shots in them.

Not all Drake bows were flight bows .Harry sold drake archery to Fasco.He still had control over his flight bow section and after that worked for Browning. Ost

Someday we should try to correlate some Drake serial numbers with years of manufacture. I just picked up a pretty rare Drake-- Hunter-Flight styling, 60# draw, and 62" long-- and I'd love to know when it was made. Looking at the rest of the industry, I'd guess 1962... but with Drake, he was often a couple of years ahead of the wave, so maybe it's even earlier. The serial number is 7533, and it's a Lakeside sticker. Kerry

• Sitka Gear