Charlie Rehor 17-Sep-10
heatmizer 17-Sep-10
SteveB 19-Sep-10
loesshillsarcher 28-Sep-10
Charlie Rehor 30-Sep-10
10-Sep-10
Good luck Charlie

10-Sep-10
Good luck Charlie. This should be fun! Newfoundland is a beautiful place!

10-Sep-10
I'd say the hunt has been successful already!!! WOW!! Shoot straight Charlie.

10-Sep-10
That's a Mell of a Hoose!

10-Sep-10

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Guys: I will follow this thread and add some pictures here and further discuss my hunt including the things I did right and the things I did wrong. If you have been to Newfoundland you know the beauty and culture of this amazing Island. If you have not been yet you need to seriously consider going there. The hunting whether for Canadian Moose, Black Bear or the Woodland Caribou is excellent and most of the Guides and Outfitters are born and raised on Newfoundland. Please ask any questions that you think of during the feature! Charlie

10-Sep-10
My money is on Charlie---G-Luc HTC

10-Sep-10
Every once in a while, the lord decides that someone will be endowed with a pair made of solid granite. Deon qualifies. I would need a fresh pair of shorts after that...

10-Sep-10
Deon has other organs made of stone as well.

10-Sep-10
Ok I'm not very familiar with scoring Canada moose, or any moose for that matter. How close was that one to the minimum? How big do they get? Thanks

10-Sep-10
A newfy slam way to funny ,, thats a first ,,best of luck ..

10-Sep-10

Cheque: Moose were introduced to Newfoundland in the early 1900's and the current estimated herd on the Island is around 120,000. There are three species of Moose recognised by B&C & P&Y Club, the Alaskan/Yukon Moose (biggest), the Canadian Moose (second biggest) and Shiras Moose (smallest). When measuring a Moose you measure the greatest outside spread, length of palms, width of palms, number of points and circumference at the base of the antlers. The minimum score for P&Y Club entry for Canadian Moose is 135 inches. I estimated the one in the video at around 120 and the attached bull about the same. The other feature I am looking for is at least 2 points on each brow which helps the palm length measurement and the one in the video has single prongs only. He gets a pass!! C

10-Sep-10
Man that was cool video footage!

10-Sep-10
Awesome mate! Keep it coming :)

10-Sep-10
Oh this is all I need to read... another hunt I desperately want to do :) Good luck Charlie, look forward to hearing about your hunt.

10-Sep-10
Good luck Charlie. I leave from CT on Oct. 8 to go to NFD. I'll be watching this live hunt with interest.

What are the temps like? What equipment are you using? Thanks.

10-Sep-10
Going back next year, got the bear, got the caribou, need the moose.

10-Sep-10
Good luck Charlie!

10-Sep-10

Brian M:The foilage is just starting to change and temps are about 10 degrees colder than in the Northeast. Blueberries and Black Bears are all over the burns! BEAUTIFUL!! What are you hunting?? C

10-Sep-10
Hey Charley, my son and I will be hunting Caribou an Moose in Newfoundland on Monday. Good luck Charley an save a couple of Bullwinkles for us! Mike

10-Sep-10
Good luck Charlie.

11-Sep-10

Florida Mike: You and your son have a great hunt. You are in for a treat! Trust in your guides!

Make sure you see day 2 before you go!!! Unreal! C

11-Sep-10
Good luck Charlie!! Someone should help Deon find his marbles!!!! LOL!!

11-Sep-10
You are teasing us Charlie! You say unreal. OK we are waiting for your report.

11-Sep-10
Charley we are flying today an you post "Make sure you see day 2 before you go!!! Unreal! C"

post it man post it! I'd shoot either one of those Bullwinkle wannabes in your picture! Post, post, post! I gotta see before we get out of coverage! Mike

11-Sep-10

Wages's Link
Congrats to Charlie!

I never could get the video (see link) to play on my end, so I look forward to seeing the pictures!

Best of luck on the bear.

11-Sep-10
Congrats Charlie way to go!

11-Sep-10
Congrats Charley! I want one just like it, only closer to the road, lol, Mike!

11-Sep-10
Mike: Have a great time with your son. You are gonna love Newfoundland and it's people! Safe trip! Charlie

11-Sep-10
Hey Charlie is there a way to view the video on my I-phone? Mike

11-Sep-10
Congratulations Charlie. That's awesome. Makes me want to go back to Newfoundland.

11-Sep-10
Congrats Charlie, Nice animal. I'll also be hunting moose. I hope my guide can put me on one of those big ones. I'll "settle" for a smaller one, with the recurve. How far was the shot? It's hard to tell with the video.

11-Sep-10
Congrats !!!!!! Beautiful animal

11-Sep-10
congrats. i envy you on the kill, but not on dragging it out of there:)

11-Sep-10
U da man Charles

11-Sep-10
Giddyup, that was awesome. Well done mate on an awesome bull and even sweeter with the footage to remember it

11-Sep-10
I was really suprised that this early in the season the Bulls would respond that well to calling but they really don't like another bull in their area no matter what time of year. When you watch the video remember Deon was calling the Moose by raking the shoulder blade, doing mouth calls to the bull, talking to me and videoing all at the same time. He is one pretty calm dude around Bull Moose. We will have some great photo's tomorrow on Day 3! Charlie

11-Sep-10
Congrats Charlie you shot one hell of a big bull!!! Great footage.

11-Sep-10
Oustanding, Charlie! Way to go!

11-Sep-10
Wow, great job Charlie!! That is a beautiful bull. Now go get yourself a big ol bruin!

11-Sep-10
Holy Smokes Charlie!! That was great. Congrats man!

Scott

11-Sep-10
Good job Charlie.

Early season is very underrated. They do come to calls early in the season. I had a similar experience one year the last day of August. I would have been there the same time as you this year had work not got in the way. will be going in a few weeks.

11-Sep-10
Way to go Charlie!

11-Sep-10
Beautiful bull. Congratulations, and best of luck with the bears.

12-Sep-10
awesome man, thats a beautiful bull - all on film as well.....something to be proud of! I've hunted there a few times but never got a bull like that baby! again, congrats!

12-Sep-10
Awesome video. Took a few time to load for me but worth the wait.

Was Deon holding one arm out behind you like an antler? He was swaying back and forth in the video so I was wondering if he was doing that like a posturing bull. I'm amazed at what movement he could get away with at only 25 yrds standing in the open like that.

Good luck on finding that bruiser bear now. Where is the photo after the bull was down?

12-Sep-10
The P&Y bear doesn't have a chance with Charlie in the area

12-Sep-10
Review of the shot sequence: We first heard the bull about 200 yards away. I thought he was hung up or moving away and wanted to go after him. Deon said NO! When I finally realize he is coming you will see and hear Deon walk up behind me and say "he's a shooter, he's a monster". As the bull pops out on the video you can see him come to straight on which really had me concerned. Deon is holding up the shoulder blade while videoing and calling. You can hear the Bull grunting a bit quieter than Deon's calls. He then stares us down and begins posturing his antlers and then begins moving to our right. I had previously ranged the dead tree behind him at 28 yards and figured he was 24 yards. As soon as he went broadside I released. I was shooting 58 pounds and my Carbon Express Mayhem (430 grains) arrow went right through him. The autopsy showed I got one lung and liver. He went a total of 200 yards but that was because we pushed him a bit as it was getting late. I am still amazed at how aware Deon was to pull everything off!

12-Sep-10
Congrats on a great hunt! I hunted NF in 2002 for woodland caribou , got one and had a great time. It really is a special place to hunt and hopefully 2011 will see my return for moose.

12-Sep-10
Congrats Charlie! Looking forward to the bear hunt too.

12-Sep-10
Woot! Awesome...

12-Sep-10
Well done Charlie- awesome!

12-Sep-10
Congrats! Fantastic trophy pic, also. Just love the antlers still in velvet.

12-Sep-10
Congrats on a great trophy!

12-Sep-10
Photobucket

The last time I was standing over a Moose was with Pat in Alaska in 1991. I had forgotten the immense size. Four of us tried moving him just a few inches for pictures and just couldn't do it! Very humbling and proud moment! Charlie

12-Sep-10
Great picture. Congrats again. Are you going to leave the velvet on? I freeze dried some caribou antlers with it on and they turned out real nice. I was just wondering if you can do that and still do measurements for P&Y?

12-Sep-10
Awesome Charlie.....I have tried to watch your video about 10 times and it keeps locking up on me. I assume it is my connection. Our phones have been screwed up all weekend. Great trophy and great story!

12-Sep-10

The velvet just peeled right off the very next day. The bull will be measured as a hard horned. I will post a picture a bit later of the rack out of velvet with snow white antlers.

12-Sep-10
Great looking bull, congrats!

12-Sep-10
Wow! Congrats Charlie! Awesome bull, I can't wait to go moose hunting in Newfoundland. What did your bull weigh?

13-Sep-10
Congrats Charlie! Been out chasin' the wily wapiti so I missed the action until now. Watched the video clip..great shot. Again, congrats on the moose and the completion of your slam! Rob

13-Sep-10
Way to go Charlie, congratulations on a great bull! What an awesome hunt.

13-Sep-10
Great Bull, awesome footage of your hunt. Congrats!

13-Sep-10

Thank goodness for the quad! We were 2.5 miles back from the existing quad trail and the total in and out time was 9 hours. Here is the quad with the head, neck meat and two fore legs.

13-Sep-10
Add me to the chorus. Well done!

13-Sep-10
what was the spread on that. it looks like a 15 pointer was that right?

13-Sep-10
Awesome Charlie! What a hunt. Congrats!

13-Sep-10

The famous Jays! From Alaska to Newfoundland the Jays find the meat!

Bou': The Greatest spread is 43 5/8's which should come down a bit after the 60 day drying period and yes the point count is 15. People like the point count but for P&Y Club measurement a point only counts 1 inch!

Deon Dicks has two great Newfoundland Hunting DVD's if anyone is interested. Kill shots are mostly rifle but most shots are under 75 yards. His email is [email protected] or his Bowsite handle is "Newfielander". He is guiding so he may not get right back to you!

13-Sep-10
Fantastic!

Thx for sharing

13-Sep-10
Charlie, Nice bull Charlie. Always enjoy your posts and stories! Mike

13-Sep-10
Charlie, I'm sitting at work eating lunch and can't believe your story/video. Congrats! I am leaving for Newfoundland in 10 days for my first moose hunt. It's not like I needed anything to get me excited but now I'm stoked. You said the arrow passed through. What broadhead did you use?

13-Sep-10
Awesome Charlie, congratulations

13-Sep-10

This is my gear for the hunt. DO YOU KEEP AN EXTRA RELEASE IN YOUR BACK PACK?? I do and the day I shot my Moose I could not find my "first string" release. I usually attach it to my bow but could not find it! Long ago I started carrying a spare in my back pack. My Moose was shot with my spare release. Sure beats going to fingers!! Last year during "bitter cold bucks" in January my release spring broke and I had a back-up! Hmmm!

Look at my sight cover to protect my pins. Walking through the bush in Newfoundland would be crazy without this little pin shield. Charlie

13-Sep-10
Cool pic of that Z28. Nice!

13-Sep-10
Congrats again Charlie. Forgive me if I missed this-but what broadhead were you shooting? Thanks.

13-Sep-10
Very cool Charlie, congrats on a beautiful bull!!! Now go put the smack down on a big old bear!

13-Sep-10
Congrats HTC!

That seems a unique rack on that guy! So tall!

Pretty cool. Thanks for takin' us along.

Now go shoot that bear!

13-Sep-10

The day after I shot my bull the rack sat on the cleaning table behind the Lodge and it rained all night. When I went out in the morning the blood had washed out and the velvet had started peeling off. I removed the rest of the velvet in a couple minutes and he is now solid white (see picture)! He was probably a day or two from shedding the velvet when I got him. Now that he is home the rack is darking a bit but I may need to do some staining in the future.

The most unique feature on the rack is the long points. I have not decided on a Euro mount or a Shoulder mount but we ruff caped and froze the cape so both options are open! C

13-Sep-10
Just watched the videos, nice job!

13-Sep-10
That's very cool. Neat looking rack, not your typical moose from what I've seen. Go for the shoulder mount!

13-Sep-10

BuckSlayer: I am definetly leaning towards the shoulder mount. I like the Euro's too but my wife can't stand the skull thing which is actually working to my favor in explaining why we "Need" a shoulder mount!LOL! C

The attached mount was in the lodge and really looks good as well!

13-Sep-10
Congrats Charlie....what a dream hunt! You deserve this! Let's keep the ball rollin' for ya this year Charlie....what's next?

14-Sep-10

Manitoba Bohuntr: My next hunt is with a guy named Ryan from Manitoba. He is an awesome hunter although he has lost his way of late and has gone "trad" on me. I will do my best to bring him back! LOL! Charlie

14-Sep-10
Great job! This trip is definitely on my must list!!!

14-Sep-10
Congrats Charlie! Never seen a moose in velvet- WOW!

Just curious...............what did this hunt cost you? Just trying to figure out if this is something I could ever afford. Thanks.

14-Sep-10

Charlie Rehor's Link
Rut Nut: You need to contact Cog Pellig at the link attached. The Moose, Woodland Caribou and Black Bear hunts are all different and depend on 1 x 1 guiding or 2 x 1. Cog can give you the specifics for what you may be looking to do as you might consider a combo hunt for multiple species while there! Charlie

14-Sep-10

elkmtngear's Link
Great hunt, Charlie! What an awesome Trophy, I can only dream of such success someday.

Best of Luck, Jeff

14-Sep-10

A few words about the different species!

1. Moose, Newfoundland is know for many Moose and many tags. There are roughly 120,000 Moose on the Island. Consider going when convienent for you as I don't beleive the dates are that critical. It is difficult to get a monster but success rates on quality Moose is very high.

2. Black Bear, Newfoundland has a great population of bears and many are never hunted. In my opinion if you wanted a great fall spot and stalk hunt in the burns while the bears are feeding on Blueberries this is the place. Spring hunting is also very good and the bears get very big on Newfoundland. Two bears allowed per license!

3. Woodland Caribou, Newfoundland is experiencing a major decline in the Woodland Caribou herd and tags have been cut back dramatically however you can still get tags but the hunt prices have increased. Steps are being taken to get the herd back to where tags can be increased again but this will take some time.

The Island is beautiful with very nice accomadating folks. As stated I have been now 6 times and hope to visit many more times in the future! Any questions please ask or send me a PM! Thanks for coming along! Charlie

Contact Newfoundland hunting info at www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/hunting

14-Sep-10

Charlie Rehor's Link
Newfoundland Ferry Link for reservations, prices and schedule!

14-Sep-10

Charlie Rehor's Link
Newfoundland Hunting Information Link!

14-Sep-10
Thanks Charlie- will do!

And thanks for sharing your adventure with us! :)

14-Sep-10
Good stuff and great write-up! Thanks Charlie.

15-Sep-10
Awesome Hunt! Great for you!

17-Sep-10

IMO the most beautiful of the 5 Caribou species! The Woodland! Thanks for coming along! Charlie

17-Sep-10
Thank you Charlie. This was the most exighting thread I have ever read. I hunted NF last year and you are right. its one of those places you just have to go. The people are so friendly and the land is great. Thank you for sharing your hunt with us. Although I think you posting this is going to cost me alot of money because now I have to go back.

Fred

19-Sep-10
Congrats Charlie! What a gorgeous bull! I'm leaving wednesday for Wyoming after a big bull. I've shot 3, but a bug bull has avoided me.

Congrats again!

28-Sep-10
Way to go Charlie. Just got a chance to catch up on your hunt! Congrats!!

30-Sep-10

Thanks everybody! What a great hunt and I am glad to share. This final picture is my Moose Rack after I stained the antlers and whitened the skull. It came out really nice! Charlie

• Sitka Gear