loprofile 25-Oct-10
Knife2sharp 25-Oct-10
TPjeep 25-Oct-10
Viper 25-Oct-10
Backpack Hunter 25-Oct-10
9ptr 26-Oct-10
Backpack Hunter 26-Oct-10
06-Oct-10
I am considering replacing my old climbing stand with a LW sit & climb. Since I spend most of my time standing, I am concerned about the seat and the folded down climbing bar being in the way. I would appreciate any info on this or any other issue with this stand for bow hunting. I know they are pricey, but as much as I will use it, this is not a real issue. I know that LW makes quality stands. I'm just concerned if it is compatible with my style of hunting. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

06-Oct-10
I removed the climbing bar and replaced the bulky seat with a sling seat by Hazmore. Basically a better/lighter version of the handclimber now. I also put Molle II straps and kidney belt on it for hiking.

06-Oct-10
X2 for the Hazmore seat, especially for your style of hunting! You can sit comfortably when you want to but when you want to stand the seat will slide back silently and effortlessly. Also adds basically no weight to the stand. As far as the climbing bar I have the bolts tight enough that it will support itself sticking straight out. It makes me feel more comfortable being able to "feel" it with my knee and I don't have to look down for the edge of my stand.

06-Oct-10
X2 for the Hazmore seat, especially for your style of hunting! You can sit comfortably when you want to but when you want to stand the seat will slide back silently and effortlessly. Also adds basically no weight to the stand. As far as the climbing bar I have the bolts tight enough that it will support itself sticking straight out. It makes me feel more comfortable being able to "feel" it with my knee and I don't have to look down for the edge of my stand.

06-Oct-10
Get one. This is the best tree stand on the market. I replaced the factory seat on mine with a sling seat. Lone Wolf used to sell this seat but for some reason they have stopped. As for the bar if it is tight enough it will be fine. You can always fold it behind your legs once you are in position.

06-Oct-10
Thanks guys. I was not aware of the Hazmore seat. It is certainly an answer to a significant issue with the S&C. The Hazmore is basically the same seat that I have on my Old Man, which I like very much. Now if I could only persuade Cabela's to keep the existing seat and give me a $40 break. ha ha. Thanks again. I will probably upgrade the stand with padded shoulder straps and a longer cable on the platform section. I wish each of you a safe and successful hunting season.

06-Oct-10
I have the older model with the lightweight sling style seat.I would never hunt out of another stand.The Lone Wolf is lightweight,quiet,comfprtable and safe.What more could you ask for???

06-Oct-10
No problem with shooting from a standing position. Like others I replaced the seat, but I went with a Summit replacement seat.

06-Oct-10
Thanks again guys. I just order the LW s&c and a Hazmore set. If anyone would like a good deal on a lone wolf seat, send me a pm.

06-Oct-10
Pretty much 2nd everything everything everyone said. Hazmore seat, bar behind legs, Molle waist pad and shoulder straps. Folds flat, great stand.

happy hunting, dv

06-Oct-10
I have one ill sell u with footrest, molle system, hazmore seat, and regular seat if your interested.

07-Oct-10
Hazmore, need we say more,you will love it!

08-Oct-10
Ordered mine this AM.

08-Oct-10
I've been looking at this stand for a second climber. I noticed that the seat is narrow and the black nobs are on the inside as well. I'm broad shouldered, so are there issues with those black nobs digging in your back?

08-Oct-10
Knife,

I still use the regular seat that comes with the LW and no it doesn't dig into you. Although I am only 180 pounds so may want a larger guy to answer as well. I think the knobs are behind the seat and close to tree, would be hard I think for them to dig into you due to the design.

XMan

08-Oct-10
I really enjoy mine. I did change the seat out for a summit seat which I enjoy. I really like that it is QUIET!!!, it folds flat for packing and is easy to hook up to a tree in the dark.

Good luck

Dan

09-Oct-10
Does having the Hazmore on the Summit make it harder to pack the stand in and out since the seat helps strap the stand together for packing?

10-Oct-10
I was playing with this stand at Gander Mountain, they had it attatched to tree post. I like the rubber tree grippers, but when there isn't weight on the seat section it tends tip upwards and if you bump it, it has a tendency to fall. I know there is a strap to secure to the platform section, but won't that tilt the platform up and fight the weight of the platform?

10-Oct-10
The straps attach from the back of the platform to the front of the seat section and lock it in place. One of the best improvements that they have ever made.

10-Oct-10
Purdue, which straps are you referring to?

10-Oct-10

Purdue's Link
They are called "Stabilizer straps".

You can see them (not clearly) in the link going from the platform up to the seat section.

18-Oct-10
To you guys that have the "Hazmore" seat...can you still climb seated or do you have to use your arms?

18-Oct-10
Candor,

The seat has nothing to do with the "climb". You sit on the swing bar when climbing and decending. Arms are only used to keep balance.

19-Oct-10
knife, once you tighten those straps down, the seat doesn't budge an inch. I use mine regularly and it never slips or falls when those are tight.

19-Oct-10
I prefer to use a bungee to strap the seat to the tree instead of the "stabilizer" straps. I do alot of all day sits so being able to move the seat up so I'm basically leaning into it for a while helps.

19-Oct-10
Purchased the Hazmore &installed it. Tried it out and didn't like it compared to the factory seat. Anyone wanting to buy a Hazmore seat at $5 less than their price shipped, PM me.

19-Oct-10
I know the sit and climb is meant to...well, sit and climb, but is it possible to remove the bar you are supposed to sit on and just use it like other open climbers (Summit Openshot, API Bowhunter, etc..). I currently use an API Bowhunter and don't really like to sit and climb the tree...maybe when I get older, but not now. Is it possible to just take it off and put it back on later if needed or does it serve some other purpose on the stand?

Addtionally, regarding comfort...are we talking similar to a Summit or API climber or worse on the sit and climb seat? I can hunt (or sleep) for a long time in my API...hopefully this stand is the same. Thanks.

19-Oct-10
Yes, you can remove the bar....first thing I did.

19-Oct-10
i bought a lw climber on sale about 10 years ago but this was actually the first year i really used it in the woods... mine is not the sit and climb, but has a hand climber... being old and fat now a days, am not too keen on the hand climber and considering a sit and climb seat, but am curious about the old school lightweight sling style seats instead. anyone know if available somewhere in stock? ...thanx

19-Oct-10
i bought a lw climber on sale about 10 years ago but this was actually the first year i really used it in the woods... mine is not the sit and climb, but has a hand climber... being old and fat now a days, am not too keen on the hand climber and considering a sit and climb seat, but am curious about the old school lightweight sling style seats instead. anyone know if available somewhere in stock? ...thanx

20-Oct-10
I sold mine and bought a Summit. Had mine for at least 7 years and did not like it. Started using climbers with the Baker Death traps. The things I did not like with the Lone Wolf is as follows

1 You can not set the stand on a tree and climb high up without the platform leaning down when you get up to heigh. The bar that ties the two side pieces together keeps you from setting the stand tilted up enought at the bottom setup to get a flat platform.

2 the sit and climb has you to close to the tree as i feel like I'm smashing into the tree when climbing.

3 with all the straps on it to tie the 2 pieces together are just wind flaps for the deer to look up at that movement.

What was nice with the lone wolf

1 Packed flat.

2 very quiet band adjustment.

The above 2 things kept me from selling it for years as I did not use it alot however I need to use a climber more now and wanted to get up higer into the trees. That is why I sold mine. This is my opinion. If they would correct the bar that runs accross this stand so you can set it up at the bottom on more of a tilt it would be the best. My recomendations is to buy a used one as you can sell it if you don't like it for what you got in to it.

20-Oct-10
Once I changed the seat out to the Hazmore Silent Seat I have no complaints with my Sit and Climb.

I can honestly say I have never experienced any of the problems that the above poster has. I have no problems getting the correct tilt. While it does sit closer to the tree (something I like) I do not feel crammed into the tree while climbing, and I always tighten the straps and then tie them off once I reach my desired height so there is never any flapping.

I would also recommend buying a used one though.....just makes sense financially.

21-Oct-10
"Yes, you can remove the bar....first thing I did."

If you can remove the bar, why does it state in the LW instruction manual with a warning not to remove it and use it as a hand climber?

21-Oct-10
so they can sell you a hand climber too of course. lol

21-Oct-10
Thanks for the post Pachanga. I was thinking about a LW Sit and Climb for a backup to my API Grand Slam Supreme. I use it a lot and some trees the stand has to almost be vertical in order to step onto it. I guess one could always bring a step or two if the stand can't be tilted enough.

I did order a Hazmore seat for my API however, thanks to this post. I've wanted one of those net seats ever since I saw them on Gorilla stands several years back. My API seat is kinda loud depending on the temperature and fabric I'm wearing.

One thing I noticed about the LW S&C, is pictures of the seat section always show it well under the bar. When I played with the one at Gander Mountain I noticed I could sinch the seat straps pretty tight to get it just under the bar, this would be similar to the Hazmore seat. I can't believe most groan men wearing atleast a hunting jacket doesn't have problems with those black nobs. I guess I just have really broad shoulders. Maybe with the Hazmore I'd be able to sit a little higher and get the nobs lower on my sides. Sorry, can't remember what muscles those are.

22-Oct-10
I tried the Hazmore and didn't like it. Not as comfortable and does not hang down far enough to rest my arms on the arm rest(I have a long waist)

22-Oct-10
I have a Lone Wolf sit n climb and the hand climber section too. I would love to sell it as I really don't like it and it has been collecting dust in my basement for a while now. Finding a box to ship it in is my only hurdle. DAVE

24-Oct-10
Pachanga, I did the same as you and posted about it years ago. I sent my LW S&C back for a refund though. I had the same problem, that crossbar keeps you from tilting the stand and I was so close to the tree while climbing that its hard to get any leverage to climb. Why have a sit and climb if you are so close to the tree? Plus some kind of stirrup would be an addition I would like. We don't all have size 10-12 boots on. Just not for me, glad so many others like though. Love my sticks and Alpha hang-on.

25-Oct-10

25-Oct-10
What exactly is the purpose of the Stabilizer Straps?

25-Oct-10
Well I see LW had a wider top section available for us bigger guys.

So how do you climb the tree without stirrups? I just thought they weren't pictured.

25-Oct-10
Loprofile, if there what i think they are 2 straps that connect top and bottom together you have to cinch down to keep top from moving while setup if you stand, or top will slide when you try to standup

25-Oct-10
Love mine..in fact I am.sitting in it right now

25-Oct-10
knife2sharp; You climb the tree by putting your feet inbetween the platform and the rear bracket. Its like a built in stirrup.

26-Oct-10
which means you are placing your feet near the tree to tilt the stand

26-Oct-10
9ptr; yes your feet are near the tree at the rear of the platform.

• Sitka Gear