Bowsite.com on Facebook
  • Deerbuilder Food Plot Website
  • Trail Cam Photos
  • Bowsite.com Elk Section
  • Mathews Solocam
Summit Treestands Mathews Solocam Carbon Express Arrows Moultrie Game Cameras Sitka Gear LaCrosee Footwear 3RiversArchery
Whitetail Deer Section Elk Section Black, Brown, & Polar Bear Section Moose Section Mule Deer Section Sheep Section Bowfishing Section Mountain Goat Section Pronghorn Section Mountain Lion Section Wild Turkey Section Caribou Section Hogs & Exotics Section Small Game Forum Africa Section Food Plots on DeerBuilder.com Bowhunting / Archery Equipment

DIY Public Land DOUBLE

PRINTABLE VERSION

EMAIL TO A FRIEND

Messages posted to thread:
tracker 24-Oct-10
tracker 24-Oct-10
tracker 24-Oct-10
tracker 24-Oct-10
joehunter8301 24-Oct-10
tracker 24-Oct-10
midwest 24-Oct-10
Wages 24-Oct-10
Shaft2Long 24-Oct-10
Beendare 24-Oct-10
tracker 24-Oct-10
Airborne 24-Oct-10
jay.s 24-Oct-10
Straight —» Arrow 24-Oct-10
tracker 24-Oct-10
Kawabunga 24-Oct-10
Outdoordan 24-Oct-10
nijimasu 25-Oct-10
spectr17 27-Oct-10
snapcrackpop 27-Oct-10
tracker 27-Oct-10
Videos

Mule deer up close
by wTk

Calling Mule Deer
by TradTony

Transporting Your Trophy into California
by KW

The Combine Buck POV
by fly4fish

Put Your Video Clip Here!

tracker's embedded Photo

Up until two weeks ago, it had been way to hot here in Southern California to have much deer success. As soon as a cold (actually "cool") front moved in I decided to head to one of my tree stands here in San Diego in the quest to put a little meat in the freezer. As late afternoon approached, I headed up and got settled in one of my stands. Before too long I heard a twig snap, and sure enough, my venison was approaching. An 18 yard shot and I had my doe tag filled.

I thought I'd give the doe a little time before climbing down, but before I had much time to even think about it, I heard another, quite different noise behind me. At first I was very cautious, not wanting to make a move, but then I remembered that I just filled my tag, so it really didn't matter much. Just the same, I very carefully stood up and tried to rotate 180 degrees to my right - just to check it out. What I saw was the rear end of something very BIG and hairy - and it wasn't my hunting partner, "wild1". I'm thinking, holy shi*, that's a freakin' wild boar and it's about 30 yards from me. There's been rumors, and recently plenty of first hand accounts, of wild pigs in San Diego county, but I hadn't seen one until just then. It was at a hard quartering away angle, not the best shot available, but I've been shooting good for some time so I decided to take the shot. Thirty-one yards later, the arrow entered past the ham and behind the last rib, burying itself in the chest cavity. Did that just happen...? I sat there for a bit, and as the sun started to set, I decided to come back in the morning before I went looking for a large boar.

tracker's embedded Photo

At first light, with some help, I was in the field tracking. The doe didn't make it far, and either did the boar. For those that might be wondering, although I'd never seen a wild hog in San Diego county, I did have a pig tag - just in case.

tracker's embedded Photo

Gnarly beast!

you must of had a special tag to shoot that doe???

No special tag, either sex tag available to anyone - while supplies last.

That is a cool hog! Congrats!

>>"What I saw was the rear end of something very BIG and hairy - and it wasn't my hunting partner"

lol, congrats on both critters!

That pig looks huge. You got to have a tag for feral pigs?

Nice hog.

Many may not appreciate what it takes to tag out on public land in Ca- well done!

Thanks for the kind words fellas. Shaft, yes you must have a tag for wild pigs. Through the years the cost as slowly gone up, from something like $5.00 to about $19.00 per tag. No season, or limit, but like Beendare said, it's very difficult to whack on on public land in Southern California.

That is Awesome!

Great job tracker! success rate about 5% on deer and probably less on pig, that is Awesome!: ^ }

"although I'd never seen a wild hog in San Diego county, I did have a pig tag - just in case"

Don't you love it when a plan comes together!

tracker's embedded Photo

Thanks jay and airborne. He ended up tipping the scales at over 300lbs. Notice the 2x4's I used to reinforce the truss while I skinned him.

Wow, congrats, what was he eating? Here 300 is pretty uncommon even with all the food sources.

Great story, and two great animals! Congrats! I have spent a little time hunting around San Diego County in the past, good job!

WooHoo!!! Bar-b-q at tracker's house!!!

Awesome, a 2-fer

Wow, the photo in the back of the truck dosen't look like the same pig. Huge in the shed. Good job!

You should have seen him on the hauler. I didn't think he'd fit. It was a job gettin that beast out but he looks great in my freezer. And one day on my wall.

Reply to Thread

Subject: RE: DIY Public Land DOUBLE

You are not registered - please click here to register now.

Copyright © 1996-2013 Bowsite.com
No duplication without expressed written consent of the author and Bowsite.com.

Privacy and Registration Policy