Charlie Rehor 07-Feb-11
sticksender 07-Feb-11
Redman 07-Feb-11
Straight Shooter 07-Feb-11
XMan 07-Feb-11
Bowhunner 07-Feb-11
W 07-Feb-11
25-Nov-10
Found a big 8 pointer in Pike county, Illinois, between Pittsfield and Barry. Buck still had arrow in it (gut shot) arrow had "backwoods outdoors" wrap. Would like to get this to the hunter who shot it. Only seems right......

25-Nov-10
What would seem right is if the hunter didn't gut shoot it and recovered it himself! Too bad on the lost animal.

25-Nov-10
If I have the misfortune of poorly shooting a deer I certainly hope that someone like you comes across it.

Congrats on being a good person.

Bill in MI

25-Nov-10
I've done the same thing...the shooter was very suprised I went to the trouble! And very grateful, as I would be.

25-Nov-10
ryan,

if you haven't ever lost a deer, then you obviously haven't shot many or hunted very long.

anticipate,

congrats on being a hunter with a level of common courtesy that rarely exists in this day and age. a buddy of mine(chase 105) hunted a 160+ deer and never got a shot. later on he overheard 2 guys talking about that deer after chase found it in the woods dead one day. he took the rack from his truck and gave it to the guys. not sure of all the details, but story went something like that.

25-Nov-10
Dave, nice gesture more hunters should take such action. That is the area I hunt I will put out some "feelers" to guys in that area. Maybe see you at the Red Dome next year!

DJ

25-Nov-10
If it measures over 160 I believe it's mine! LOL! Nice gesture! If a bowsiter can prove it's his or hers let us know that would be cool!

25-Nov-10
I wasn't trying to degrade the hunter that lost the animal, all i was saying was that it was a shame that an animal wasn't recovered by the hunter and it wasn't a great shot.. definitely a nice gesture by anticipate, i'd have turned the antlers into dog treats!

25-Nov-10
Anticipate = CLASS ACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25-Nov-10
I wish more people were like you. A friend of mine and fellow bowsiter shot a deer two years ago and a friend of a friend of his found it and still hasn't given it to him to this day. I just can't understand that. The kicker is that he lost a buck this year and my friend was out trying to help him find his deer.... Thanks Anticipate, you are a positive for this great sport.

Hitman

25-Nov-10
anticipate, We need more like you.

25-Nov-10
Thanks all, I just want to find the hunter who shot this buck. I know he or she has to be upset with losing this deer. DJ, I'll see you at the Red Dome, love that place.....

25-Nov-10
HES DOING THE RIGHT THING more should follow , plus why would you want some other guys deer , Good going ,,

25-Nov-10
Cool anticipate good luck finding the owner. Bad shots just happen sometimes.

25-Nov-10
Way to go anticipate.

You're showing a great hunting ethic. Well done!!!

25-Nov-10
Awesome, I hope you find the archer it belongs to!

I have found that good deeds like this get passed on later in life.... You will deserve whatever this brings!

A+

25-Nov-10
Yep, I think this is great. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Someone tracked me down once to give me the skull and rack of a cool strange-racked bull I lost one season. Meant a heck of a lot that he would do that after carrying it out of the woods, skinning, and bleaching it.

25-Nov-10
I wish the person that took my buck this year was like you.....

25-Nov-10
If I made a bad shot (gut shot) I wouldn't expect to get the antlers back and not sure I'd want them.

I would greatly appreciate knowing what happened - where the buck was hit and where he died so I could make sure it didn't happen again.

26-Nov-10
Good deed my friend!

26-Nov-10
Thought that 'backwoods outdoors" was one of the many tv shows but can't find it.

26-Nov-10
Backwoods Outdoors has some hunting videos on youtube. Maybe google them and see what you come up with. They might put you on a video.

26-Nov-10
Just a 'note' of interest: I think Illinois passed a law that does NOT allow non-residents to 'pick-up' found dead deer!...and a resident has to 'meet' certain guidelines in doing so also!....I'm just say'n

26-Nov-10
That sounds like something ILL. would do!

26-Nov-10
That is correct Headhunter, I would never break a game law.....but thank you.

26-Nov-10
Probably to mitigate poaching or the " I found it dead" scheme.

27-Nov-10
In New Hampshire they have a law that requires us to put our name and address on our arrows. That would have solved your situation.

This is a nice thing you are doing.

LBB

28-Nov-10
ttt

Any word?

01-Dec-10
Anticipate - I sent you an email about the deer you found! Did you receive it?????? Thanks for your time.

01-Dec-10
Anticipate......thanks for stepping forward, doing the right thing and setting a GREAT EXAMPLE! on behalf of all bowhunters....THANK YOU!!!

01-Dec-10

anticipate's embedded Photo
anticipate's embedded Photo
Hossman, I got your email will talk to you soon. Here's a pic. of buck.

01-Dec-10
Wow...hope you find his owner.

01-Dec-10
This is like that "Looking for the elk hunter" thread that woman posted a few years ago.

I doubt she ever found him, but if she did, he sure got lucky!!!!!

01-Dec-10
good to see someone with character in our ranks. I'd have been sick over it had it been me.

01-Dec-10
Its just rare to find them with the complete arrow still included.Nice job ANTICIPATE...A real genuine person.You should be rewarded well!!!

02-Dec-10
That is a sad sight right there. A gorgeous buck laying dead with an arrow sticking out of it's guts and no one to claim it. I hate to see that.

Anticipate.... you are a good man. Perhaps you can still cape it out and freeze it in hopes you'll get it resolved. What an amazing impact you could have on another hunter if at some point you find him and deliver him his trophy. A very "Pay it forward" kind of thing. I know I would be moved.

Good stuff.

03-Dec-10
Great offer ultimately this deer is recovered. shame the meat went to waste but the deer is technically recovered now just needs to get to the hunter that shot it. I have lost a few big ones and I wish someone would have offered this to me on mine. Great Job... we should all look out for each other

08-Dec-10
What in the world would be in the guts to stop an arrow? That is what happens with a light fast arrow. No momentum to penetrate even the gut. WOW

08-Dec-10
This is a little different twist to add here . I read in a book about Fred Bear where he and Bob Munger were hunting in Northern Michigan . It seems they "ventured " to some property where they did not have permission to hunt .

They both shot at deer or something and missed . Both arrows were lost but the owner of the property found the arrows . Both Fred and Bob had their names on the arrows .

The property or hunting club owners ran an ad in ,I believe the Detroit paper, stating these to men could claim their arrows.

In this case the arrow was not in a deer but on someone elses land .

08-Dec-10
Ahhhh, did ya ever think it may have been shot thru a low poundage bow instead of a speed arrow. EITHER way it is extremely sad.

08-Dec-10
In MN you can enter private property to retrieve a dead deer, without weapon, without permission.

In IL you can't without permission... might be part of the story why the hunter lost the deer.

08-Dec-10
I found a deer my buddy shot after season and I paid for the deer mount and gave it to him.He was in shock.

08-Dec-10
Great deed whether its recovered or not. That's no gut shot though; backstraps and all muscle with exception to maybe a few minor vessels if it was shot from a stand.

08-Dec-10
you are a true man and set a great example to all of us way to step up anticipate its what we do when no one is loookin that counts

08-Dec-10
Anciate,you're a head above most. Good for you.

I found a deer almost identicle to this one you've posted, 2 years ago. I'd heard the owner's son of an archery shop here in Winnipeg had lost his first deer and had given up on looking for it. I had a freind phone him to tell him he could pick it up along side the property he did not have permission on but I had, and that I'd dragged it close to a 1/4 mile for him. I recieved no phone call of thanks, and he won't be seeing me in his shop any time soon. Some things do come full circle.

08-Dec-10
I found a buck with an arrow in his gut Christmas day 4 years ago, figured my neighbor shot it. Called him up and sure enough it was his said he looked all over our place to find it but eventually gave up. I drug the deer to his property line and 6 months later had trailcam pictures of him trespassing with bow in hand. Some people just take things for granted.

08-Dec-10
Iowa bound,

Actually, low poundage or not....if the arrow is heavy it WILL penetrate the guts. Light arrows are easy about stopping. Heavy arrows are fond of stopping.

09-Dec-10
"What in the world would be in the guts to stop an arrow? " Arrow is high in the lower back, hit spine and lodged in a vertebra. likely cut a renal artery and death was by internal bleeding but high with no exit left little blood trail.

good gesture "Anticipate"

way to go.

09-Dec-10
Sapcut, I understand your point and you don't approve of light arrows but, it could have been a long distance shot that lost momentum, a deflected shot off a limb, string hitting the forearm after being released or many other misfortunes. I guess what I'm saying is, there are way toooooo many variables to assume it was a light arrow. The only true accessment is that it is truely sad, with someone trying to better the out come.

09-Dec-10
Iowa bound, In your scenarios of what could have gone wrong, a heavy arrow will dramatcally improve your chances of sucess. Sapcut is probably smiling cuz you have beautifully illustrated his point! Fuzzy if you shoot arrows like sapcuts and hit a vertebra at a bouhunting distance, its lights out! Thanks

09-Dec-10
I agree! How many threads turn into a pissing contest. This guy did a great thing. Go on some other thread and bitch.

This is a wonderful gesture!!! I returned a buck to someone after he couldnt find it....I would hope someone would do the same for me.

I didnt do it because I wanted a big thank you or a favor in return. I did it because I would want someone to do that for me.

You are a good person.

09-Dec-10
"Fuzzy if you shoot arrows like sapcuts and hit a vertebra at a bouhunting distance, its lights out! Thanks "

Not sure I follow all that, is a "sapcut a type of arrow?

If I shoot a deer in the spot shown at the angle shown with a BH arrow, the BH arrow will most likely stop, and lodge, in the spine.

Thts true off my 60 pound recurve with the 780 grain total weight carbons (counting the 4 blade Zwickey Deltas with long adapter threaded inserts weighing about 178 grains)

Or my 60 pound longbow with wood arrows weighing about 630 grains with the same heads.

You just are not gonna push a big head thru that much bone at a diagonal angle that easily

09-Dec-10
wow i thought this tread was about a good bowhunter tryin to return a found deer ,, lets keep on the subject ,,, its only dec plenty of time for debates ,,

09-Dec-10
n....ok :-)

09-Dec-10
That's my wife's buck. Can't believe it ran all the way from Nebraska to Illinois. Amazing animal.

Just kidding obviously. Class Act Anticipate!

09-Dec-10
Anticipate, any luck finding the shooter?

09-Dec-10

09-Dec-10
do unto others . . . great job mister I hope the rightful owner of the arrow is found.

09-Dec-10
No luck YET?

10-Dec-10
Backwwods Outdoors is the name of a TV show that airs on I believe the Pursuit channel. Maybe the guys who shot it. I don't think they're from Illinois, maybe from VA.

19-Dec-10

hcravenjr's embedded Photo
Im sure that is the buck I shot ion my birthday. I will respond further tomorrow morning from me computer. Thank you Anticipate.

20-Dec-10

The buck found w/ Backwoods Outdoors arrow wrap was shot by me and after I made the shot at 22 yds and watched him run off I was sick. after returning to camp we found that my bow was shooting 6" high and 12" left. We had been hunting all week in horrible weather seeing hardly any deer movement. I have no clue as to what happened to cause my sight to be that bad off. It shot fine earlier in the week. I was shooting a Mathews DXT, Rage 2 blade broadheads and could not believe I didn't have a pass thru. I attempted to recover the deer but knew that with the horrible hit and 0 blood it would take a miracle. needles to say I returned home to Ga. sick. I have passed many bucks waiting on a book buck and have not shot a buck w/my bow sense I went full time archery in 05 after taking the 180 shown in pic w/firearm. If someone would please contact me at 229-888-8222 I would be forever grateful.

20-Dec-10
am i the only one confused on the last couple of posts.

20-Dec-10
Sorry, I dont know what im doing.

20-Dec-10
If he didn't fill his tag I'd hand it over and feel pretty darn good about it. We've all been there or will be at some point in our bowhunting career.

The first time I opened this thread I thought it was a long shot that the hunter would ever be found but the more I thought about it the Bowsite is pretty popular!

This is pretty kool. I to am interested to see how it all turns out.

anticipate,

I like your style.

20-Dec-10
It is an amazing gesture, to return the deer (I would have tried also). But if I was the hunter I would not want it.

To me, a deer is "harvested" after being shot AND recovered. If it is not recovered, it is a pick-up, just like any other dead deer found in the woods.

How could you look at that deer on the wall and be proud, knowing it would still be rotting in the woods if some other guy didn't find it? I might make a rattling set out of them or something, but would never claim it as a bowkill.

P&Y will not recognize it, and for good reason.

20-Dec-10
the deer "anticipate" found and pictured above on 12/1 is not the monster deer noted above. are these posts related in anyway or has someone just injected something here that is not pertinent to the thread?

20-Dec-10
If it is the deer he shot give it to him.I would be proud to give him his deer back.

20-Dec-10
I like most, thought this (posting a thread, and finding the bowhunter) to be a shot in the dark, but today I found the bowhunter who shot the buck. I know everyone has their on view on this topic, but I am glad to find the bowhunter who shot it. Things happen in all types of hunting that could make even the most experienced hunter miss or wound an animal, but in bowhunting them scenarios mutiple. Merry Christmas everyone, and may the anticipation of your next hunt keep you warm this winter.....

20-Dec-10
AWESOME! What a nice Christmas gift.

Herd,

Good for you.

20-Dec-10
Anticipate: Well done! Merry Christmas! C

20-Dec-10
Awesome!

20-Dec-10
Awesome! These guys both probably feel pretty good about things right now. Kudos to you anticipate!

20-Dec-10
very cool

20-Dec-10
Anticipate,

I wish there were more people like you in the hunting world rather than the type I was dealing with a week ago. (someone stole my deer) Good job! I bet the hunter feels like he got an early Christmas present.

20-Dec-10
Good job "A" ! Proud of ya !

20-Dec-10
Anticipate,

The was one of the better things I have seen a person do in awhile. Good for you. Remember good things happen to good people. That is like finding a bag of money and finding it's rightful owner. Great

20-Dec-10
WOnder how far the deer had traveled from where he shot it?? Would be good learning information for all...

20-Dec-10
Now that the rightful owner has been found, can we see the buck?

Awesome job anticipate!

20-Dec-10
Anticipate is a good example of a true sportsman. All of us bowhunters should be proud of his example. I never expected to see the buck again. Again, thank you and I pray that the blessings of our lord be with you all as we celebrate His birth!

20-Dec-10
That's pretty cool right there! Good job anticipate.

20-Dec-10
awesome story.nice to know there is still good guys out there in the woods

20-Dec-10
Horn Donkey - he did post the picture earlier in the thread...

21-Dec-10
Mr Craven,

Penetration has been less than stellar with that Rage head ......

21-Dec-10
NONE of my hunting partners use Rage broadheads any more! out of 8 animals shot on this trip all but 2 had plugged exit holes. we all were shooting Rage.

21-Dec-10
How bout some details?

hcraven, how did you learn of the post here on bowsite?

If you and anticipate have talked, what was the distance from the shot to recovery. Great education for the rest of us, may help find their deer in the future.

Anticipate, this was a class act!

21-Dec-10
Very cool thread and class on both sides. I had this happen to me years back and I can't tell you how much I appreciated it. Some guys may say they wouldn't accept it but I wouldn't worry too much about that. I think it's a great act from one hunter to the next. Accept it with pride. For whatever reason you made a poor shot. I happens. You killed the deer and got some help finding it. Enjoy it.

Things happen and this was the perfect Christmas thread. I bet you were excited when you saw this. If you have the undeniable proof that it is yours then this is just awesome.

So how are you getting the deer now? Did anticipate cape the thing out for you and put it in the freezer? I think you owe this guy a nice Christmas gift this year :)

Great thread.

21-Dec-10
I imagine he'll get the antlers and the arrow. I think caping it out would have been a bit much to ask!

21-Dec-10
Pretty cool story!! Ahhhhh the power of the internet.

21-Dec-10
Very cool story. Good Job Anticipate. What comes around goes around, you will be blessed for you good deeds, if sure. Bowsite has been responsible for alot of interesting things. A fellow bowsiter and I met through a trail cam photo that helped recover my stolen camera and made me a couple new friends!

21-Dec-10
Herdmanager,

I'm just curious, I'm not trying to attack or be negative on this great thread but your stance is pretty firm.

Say you went on a coastal brown bear hunt. You shoot a bear and track the bear for a day only to have the blood trail run dry. Then you leave in disapointment knowing you probably killed the bear but just couldn't find it. Then you get a call 3 days later when you are home from the outfitter saying they found the bear and it wasn't far from where you were looking. Would you just tell them to dump it or make mittens out of the hide?

I know I would tell them I still want it and I'll pay any money to have it flown out on ice. Of course you can't enter in it P&Y and we get that. But don't you want the closure and the bear you obviously killed? I still view it as more of a trophy than one shot dead on the spot with a gun. But that's my opinion.

I mean no harm... just curious why such a tough position on this? No one likes to harvest their animal this way but in the end sometimes we all need a little help in life. JMO

Merry Christmas.

21-Dec-10
Thank you for this site and all the posts. bowhunters are a special breed as this story proves. after seeing the horrible hit and watching the buck run off onto posted land I was sick and NEVER expected a recovery. Anticipate is a fine example of what it means to be a Sportsman. I look forward to the europian mount hanging on my wall of fame at home and will be sharing this story for the rest of my life. P.S. the buck was recovered, tagged and mounted before he (Anticipate)ever found me. Yesser im proud to be numbered with this crowd. thanks,Howard John 3:16

21-Dec-10
Great job all the way around.

21-Dec-10
excellent work guys :-)

21-Dec-10
Great Story, and Kudos to you Anticipate!! It is what being a sportsman is all about.

That being said.. WHH,, Where are the pics?

FISH

21-Dec-10
Anticipate, if you have more pics send them to me and ill post.

21-Dec-10

A lot of you have asked how Anticipate found me, I think it went like this... Nov. 25th (see above post on that date) Anticipate posted on this site that he found big 8 pt. gut shot w/ Backwoods Outdoors arrow wrap. 12/19 Austin, the bow pro at our local bow shop, Backwoods Outdoors and member of bowsite.com sends a txt to my hunting partner saying he read about a buck that was found in our area in Ill. and it had their wrap on it and he had been looking for me for a while. my partner freaks and notify's me. I do not have a computer at home so I start looking on my droid phone, found the site, join, send Anticipate a message and the rest is history.

21-Dec-10
Cool story!

21-Dec-10
Small world......

21-Dec-10
hcravenjr, I sent you a PM

21-Dec-10
Anticipate, it is good to know that there are still people like you out there. I have been keeping up with this thread since you first posted it, when I first read it I wondered if it could have been someone from my area, since we have a local archey shop/sportings goods store named Backwoods Outdoors.

After keeping up with this thread and wondering for several weeks I finally decided to stop by, on Sunday the 19th, and talk to Austin at Backwoods Outdoors (in SWGA)as soon as I told him about this thread he knew who's deer it was and in a matter of minutes he was trying to contact hcravenjr.

So thanks to anticipate and Bowsite, for another great story!!!!!!

21-Dec-10
Anticipate:

Reach right around and give yourself a good ole pat on the back, you deserve it....

Class act brother.....

21-Dec-10
Anticipate You just set a fine example for the young hunters on this site! You're a stand up guy!

Craven Wall of fame? No way! Maybe a shelf in the garage, but no room on the wall for an unrecovered gut shot deer that was coyote food the second you gave up the search. When you walk away from the search, you walk away from the deer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you throw in the towel the hunt is over. Not a trophy in my book no matter how big it is. Glad somebody found him.

21-Dec-10
Heck, I shot a 150 class two years ago and had a heck of a time in a swamp and didn't find it in a day and a half search. Later the second day, and going to a different stand....I come across a gut pile with my arrow still there in the pile. I know who the other person would be who could have found it...he has a stand 50 yards from the gut pile and I leave him 2 business cards from the WBH (wisconsin bowhunters asso) with my name on it.

Never got a call.

Dude....you did good.

21-Dec-10
Thanks Elkstinger, I didnt know you were a part of this blessing. Thank you for your help.

21-Dec-10
Justhunt1 we made every legal attempt to recover. You are welcome to your opinion. The buck is a trophy to me and wil look good next to my 180.

21-Dec-10
I think Justhunt1 missed the part where "The deer ran onto POSTED LAND" and you were not legally able to go after it. That seems to happen a lot on these threads where guys do not read ALL of the responses, just like the guy who wanted to see pictures, and they were already posted. Bowsite is a wonderful site which I am thankful for. Good job to all!

21-Dec-10
Nice to see a bum situation turned out for the good. Kudos to anticipate

21-Dec-10
No room on this post for nasty remarks This is all good stuff. I have bow hunted alot of years sometime things happen and you end up with the bad hit. Craven when you look at your wall of fame you can be reminded that there are some good people out there. Hats off to Anticipate.

22-Dec-10
Eddie, no I would not want the bear.

Howard, what does this mean: "P.S. the buck was recovered, tagged and mounted before he (Anticipate)ever found me."???

22-Dec-10
I love a happy ending.

Cudos to Anticipate. I wish there were more people that acted the way you did.

22-Dec-10
You're right, it will be OK to hang it next to a gun kill as a trophy. I agree 100% with that! Congrats on? Well, something anyway!

Chalk another one up for Rage broadheads!!!

23-Dec-10
"HerdManager"...I was wondering the same thing...... (3 posts up)

23-Dec-10

elkherder's embedded Photo
elkherder's embedded Photo
ya cant slam a guy for losing an animal now and then,it happens.i lost the biggest bull elk i have ever seen in my life ten years ago.he just quit bleeding and went through some very rocky country.we looked for that bull for three days straight,i spent three more after that sitting in camp feeling completely devastated but...i pulled out of it and moved on.btw it was a good hit right in the basket,have no clue how that elk got away.not really anyones place to bash someone in public when you really have no clue what transpired.its just part of the game.

23-Dec-10
"You're right, it will be OK to hang it next to a gun kill as a trophy. I agree 100% with that!"

Wow! Really? That is pretty elitist.

I guess I have grown up in a different environment than some. I was always taught that a legally harvested animal, no matter the size and no matter the weapon, is a trophy. I was also taught that trespassing onto ground that you don't have permission to be on, posted or not, is never acceptable. In that case you try to find the owner of the ground and get permission to continue. If the owner says no, so be it; no means no. If you can't find the owner, then that animal is lost. Finally, I was also taught that if you find something that isn't yours, you try to find the owner and return it. Finders is not keepers.

Congrats on getting the animal to the hunter that shot it!

Congrats to the hunter for doing the ethical thing by following the trail as far as he legally could!

Congrats to the hunter for doing the legal thing by not trespassing onto posted ground!

This is a good story on so many levels. We should not forget that. Who cares about P&Y or B&C? Scores are for games.

23-Dec-10
Herd,Herm

It means the guy who found it tagged it n did a european.

Nice work anticipate. I lost a buck once and had it returned to me a year later. That was ten years ago. Last year I killed a buck with a beautiful cape which is being used right now to mount the one I lost ten years ago. I love that buck simply because someone was good enough to do the right thing. Again, nice job anticipate.

23-Dec-10
I'm sure this was'nt the best way this could have ended but given the circumstance and all it makes for a Christmas like ending.Anticipate congrads on a job well done Merry Christmas everyone.Lewis

23-Dec-10
Simply Outstanding Anticipate... To the hunter... I'm sure you are grateful

23-Dec-10

Just want to say that this has turned into a blessing. I remember thinking the day before I shot the buck as it poured rain that this trip was going to be a wash. the next day they were calling for 30 mph sustained winds and gust of 60 possible. the next morning after making a horrible shot on the buck I felt like hanging it up and going home. when I saw the buck do a 360, hit the creek and then enter posted property I figured nothing good could possibly come out of this. so you see, despite 30 years of bow hunting, making several bad decisions, such as assuming the buck would run forward,not re-checking my bow etc. to find that someone has done for an unknown fellow hunter what Anticipate has done for me can be nothing but a blessing. To all my bow hunting brothers and sisters, may the Joy of Christmas be with you and yours, Howard

23-Dec-10
P.S. all 4 of us hunted every day that week in the horrible weather.

23-Dec-10

07-Feb-11

To all of my bow hunting brothers, In over 30 yrs. of bow and rifle hunting I have witnessed both the best and worst of characters. I have decided that the timing is right for my departure from the sport. I am basing this decision mostly on the future and my 9 grand kids. Im concerned were the sport is heading and do not want to pass on this addiction to them. I will be concentrating on year round salt and fresh water fishing, and a healthy respect for the environment and the sport. Good luck, and may God bless. Howard Craven Jr

07-Feb-11
You'll be back, resistence is futile! LOL! Just the fact that you needed to do this post tells me you are just "resting" from bow hunting for a while! Don't deny yourself and your grandkids the bonding power of bow hunting! Fishing and being on a boat can be very dangerous too but we all take risks to thrive! Good luck with your future! Charlie

07-Feb-11
hcravenjr, do what you want in life, but don't let a complete stranger on a hunting website have any effect on your decision.

As mdcrazyman mentions, there are nitwits everywhere you go. Luckily, for every guy you run into here with 'littleman syndrome', ready to cut you down in order to build himself up, there are plenty of good ones like Charlie Rehor and many others, always helpful and encouraging.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

07-Feb-11
Lance,

You are my hero! I have wanted to say that so many times on here! Thanks

07-Feb-11
Howard,

I have been bow hunting for exactly 30 years (since 11 yrs old) and have a few shots I wish I could "do over"! I would bet 99% of people that have been hunting for over 30 years have NOT made the "perfect" shot everytime and if they say they have... Wow I am not worthy! Just remember all that bowhunting has done for you ie.(mentally, spiritualy, bonding etc.) What a shame it would be to not pass that along to your grandkids????

DJ

07-Feb-11
Howard, I am so glad you got your buck, it was a great story. But Howard, how cant you pass on the tradition of hunting to your grandkids and the thrill of being outdoors and seeing nature? So sad of a statement, I hope you reconsider and think of all the positive things you enjoyed about hunting. Some of my most memorable days afield were with my kids, wouldn't ever trade that time with them and seeing them get to hunt and get their first turkey or deer. Good luck in your pursuits and where ever life carries you.

07-Feb-11
How does that old saying go?

If you love something, run a sharp stick through it.

If you make a good shot, it's yours.

If you don't, it never was.

Unless it's found by a hell of a good guy!

Cool story with a happy ending.

Mr. Craven you shot a good deer that ran off and found a trophy quality person.

I hope you did something cool for him in return.

07-Feb-11
A true sportsman to find the owner. I've done it twice. One didn't believe it was his (too little), but I'd helped him earlier in the week and knew it had to be. The other was very happy and thankful.

To those who don't think it is a worthy trophy, I would say that Mr. Craven will remember the kindness of a fellow sportsman everytime he sees it. That is a true trophy.

This Topic has been locked. Thank you.

• Sitka Gear