BuckSlayer 18-Dec-10
XMan 18-Dec-10
stickthrowin' 31-Dec-10
Trapper 31-Dec-10
NickJig 24-Nov-14
Charlie Rehor 26-Nov-14
IdyllwildArcher 26-Nov-14
18-Dec-10
Being there is so many apps out there I thought we should start a thread telling about what ones we find the most useful to hunt with. Some cost money so it would be nice to know the opinions of other bowhunters before buying them. List your favorite apps and what they do.

Mine is called "GPS Kit" by Garafa, LLC. It is a GPS app that lets me use my GPS when I don't have cell phone coverage. It will mark your tracks, waypoints, and routes. It will keep track of your speed, altitude, and has a built in compass. If you happen to be in an area with 3G you and your buddy with the same app can see where the other is on your phone's map and you can send them messages through it. But my favorite aspect is that you can cache google satelite maps and topo maps. You decide how detailed you want the maps and then cache them while you have WiFi access to then pull up and use out in the field. It cost 10 bucks but was worth it.

What apps have you guys found that you like for hunting? Either free or those that cost.

Trevor

Pat, How's that bowsite app coming?

18-Dec-10
free?

18-Dec-10
Good thread. I was going to start this one myself. I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S with the Android platform.

18-Dec-10
Any good ones for a Blackberry?

18-Dec-10
For blackberry, the google earth app and the weather network have been my best tools for hunting. That and the camera on my Curve is pretty good for taking pics if you forgot a full size camera.

18-Dec-10
I have a few iphone apps I like for Hunting:

The Weather Channel - free Whatknot - free F.Turkeys - Free, its great for practicing calls Tidegraph - not free but good for tide info, sunset, sunrise and moon

Those are the only ones I have. I am going to check out GPS kit, sounds really like a must have for an iphone.

31-Dec-10

stickthrowin''s Link
I really like Topo Maps for the iPhone. A little pricey at $7.99 but all the USGS maps are free and the only limitation is memory available on your phone. I have been using this quite a bit instead of my 60CSx. It uses the GPS in the phone and no cell signal is needed. It has a lot of features but one that is missing is tracking. Granted it really is kind of not needed since using the app continuously would drain the battery quickly. So it's best use is to mark spots and see where you are. Very handy when I don't have the Garmin unit with me. A 3GS or 4 is required.

31-Dec-10
Google earth x 2

24-Nov-14
I recommend Spyglass, it's by far my favourite app. It works extremely well when offline with just gps signal and top-notch for off-road navigation and hunting. I can save my car and stand locations to find them later, can navigate by stars or according to the map, can share locations with friends and much more. https://itunes.apple.com/app/spyglass/id332639548?mt=8&at=11lLc7&ct=fs

26-Nov-14
I use Scoutlook at least 10 times a day for my whitetail hunting.

26-Nov-14
I've used Trimble Outdoors on 6 different 2-8 day back country hunts now as my exclusive GPS/map (paper map backup in plastic in the pack) and I love it, all on an iphone 4.

You have to DL all your maps prior to the hunt.

I bring a NewTrent battery pack and on two different 8-10 day hunts didn't even go through 1/2 of the NewTrent battery by switching the iphone to airplane mode when I wasn't looking at it, except for when I knew I was going to be looking at it repeatedly, then I left it on.

• Sitka Gear