midwest 30-Jan-11
DonSchultz 14-Aug-11
Autumn_Archer 14-Aug-11
thrasher 15-Aug-11
guidermd 15-Aug-11
Norseman 15-Aug-11
Les Welch 22-Aug-11
26-Jan-11
Has anyone make-shifted an enclosed trailer into a mobile hunting camper? I am not talking about anything fancy, i am talking about something to haul my gear and atv out of the weather, with a fold down bed, insulated, a decent side door that works from the inside, and an lp heater.

I would love to hear from anyone who has taken this on-

thanks!

michael

26-Jan-11
I have not started my project yet but have thought quite a bit about this. Having had Travel trailers, fifth wheels, and truck campers I really think this will be the perfect setup for me. The only thing I miss from the above is a nice comfy bed. May be able to start mine June or July.

My idea is almost as you describe. I would go with a 10 footer. Not sure if my bed would fold or be stationary. I will put a water tank with an RV pump and an outside spigot. Also prefer dual rear doors so that they can swing open and then have a medium sized wall tent built to connect to the rear of the trailer for the longer stays. Deep cycle batteries with a solar charger on the roof of the trailer. A small window on both side to let in light and create air flow.

I think this will be the way to get a comfy camp into some remote places.

C

27-Jan-11
Been thinking about it. Fold down bunks, some shelves in the front. Rack on the top for "racks" or a canoe.

27-Jan-11

buglemaster's embedded Photo
buglemaster's embedded Photo
We have used a 6x14 for several years. Just 3 guys, but with 3 cotts we have room to sleep real well.The only time we use any heat is early in the am or just before bed to knock the chill off. A small coleman propane heater does just fine for us.We throw a tarp over the trailer & guy it down for a sunshade in the day & cook under it as well. A little bigger would be a pluss, but we get by with it.Pretty mobile if a guy needs to move camp to find the elk.

27-Jan-11
Curtis, you ready to go pig huntin?

27-Jan-11
Bugle, I have a few of those Wells Cargo trailers for work- good stuff!

I have a buddy that put an icecream box on a 2 1/2 ton 4 wd truck chassie and built a custom camper out of it. Its about 10'w x 16' L x 8'H It has a winch almost as big as a 55 gal drum- impressive rig.

If you look at it one would think it can go anywhere but its so heavy it gets bogged in muddy terrain.

27-Jan-11
Once I got my atv inside a 6x10 it was like it grew twice as big. There wasn't room for much at all.

27-Jan-11
Check out the Nov/Dec 2010 issue of Bear Hunting magazine. There is an article titled "Mobile Bear Camp" where the author details how he turned an enclosed landscapers trailer into a hunting camp trailer.

27-Jan-11
Chomping at the bit Dave

27-Jan-11
We purchased a 20ft enclosed trailer. We measured the height of our 4 wheelers and also totes for clothes. We had them install 2 rows of E Track on the sides of the trailer, the full length. The bottom E Track, we made plywood bunks that are framed with 2 x 4 wood on the one side and attach to a wood end socket into the E Track. We have tie down ring clamps on the upper E Track that we attach a cable and down to the bunk corners where we put some heavy eye hooks. We can put in 4 bunks and there is a walkway down the middle of the trailer. The bunk height is perfect to fit rubbermaid totes underneath. When we travel, we have 2 x 4's that run the width of the trailer and attach to above E Track. We lay the bunks over the 2 x4's and it's above the 4 wheelers and stack our gear on the bunks. Else it's wasted space above your 4 wheelers.

We drilled a hole into th floor and put in a metal plate that has a lid to open that our lp gas line comes in. The propane heater has an oxygen shut off. The trailer has 2 battery powered lights and the battery charges when you travel. We used one of the lights for 2 weeks this past fall while hunting and the battery never had to be charged. We also used a latern in the trailer for light and some heat. The trailer is insulated.

Above the top E track we took a 2 x 4 board's and drilled part way into it and added pegs. Each bunk has a 5ft? board with pegs. This is wonderful to hang you clothes and I added small totes hanging down over each bunk for all the "other" stuff you carry or deodorant etc.. that you use everyday and don't have to search for it.

Our trailer is a V front, love it, so much more space. Added the 2 by 4's with pegs in the V also and that's where we hang our bows. Took some old carpet and cut pieces for where we walk and just roll it up when you are done.

Sorry I don't have pictures because the trailer is outside in the cold and snow.

27-Jan-11

Prairie Dog 's embedded Photo
Prairie Dog 's embedded Photo
I use this goosneck, it has bunk beds along one wall and a mattress above in front.

There is a dividing wall about seven feet from the back doors, I put the 4/wheeler, freezer, cook stove, and generator in there till I set up camp then it is just the kitchen.

It sure is nice on days like this one. PD

27-Jan-11
I have used my 3 horse slant load trailer before. Plenty of room for a couple of cots and a table to cook on. Even used it as an antelope blind. Just backed it up to a waterhole, hung a camo curtain over the door and shot right out of the back end of it. Worked like a charm. I was always mad because I wanted a Lazy Boy Recliner in it. LOL!

27-Jan-11
A friend of mine that does flooring for a living went in halves with a guy I work with. They bought a used 18 ft with tandem axles and installed two powered roof vents via the battery in the roof and run the a kerosene heater in it with cots and they even built a rifle rack on the wall with rubber bungies to hold them there on the wall while hunting. Seemed to be a pretty good set-up as two 4 wheelers and all of there gear fit pretty good. I'm looking to get a smaller trailer than they bought ( as I have a 1/2 ton ) and do the same and get my ATV out of the garage.

28-Jan-11

KCBull's embedded Photo
KCBull's embedded Photo
Here is mine. I really like it. It's got a stove and sink along with storage space in the front. It's plenty big enough to haul everything my hunting partner and myself need for our elk hunting trip, plus plenty of room to haul animals home when we get lucky. We hunt an area that don't allow quads, so we have plent of room for equipment. I'll try to post more pics.

28-Jan-11

KCBull's embedded Photo
KCBull's embedded Photo
Here is mine. I really like it. It's got a stove and sink along with storage space in the front. It's plenty big enough to haul everything my hunting partner and myself need for our elk hunting trip, plus plenty of room to haul animals home when we get lucky. We hunt an area that don't allow quads, so we have plent of room for equipment. I'll try to post more pics.

28-Jan-11

KCBull's embedded Photo
KCBull's embedded Photo
Another one

28-Jan-11

KCBull's embedded Photo
KCBull's embedded Photo
From the back

28-Jan-11

KCBull's embedded Photo
KCBull's embedded Photo
Last one. It's only an 8X12 utility trailer, but with the awning and tables on the side it works great.

28-Jan-11
KC it seems you have it all except the kitchen sink wait u even bring that ,, lol

28-Jan-11
Nice KC!

28-Jan-11
try this page out, they do alot of what your looking to do, some of them get pretty fancy too.http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=42

28-Jan-11
Thats a GREAT link to customizing a enclosed trailer!!

28-Jan-11
Quicksilver has some good ideas

28-Jan-11
That quicksilver looks way cool! Bet they're pricey tho.

29-Jan-11

Ogoki's embedded Photo
Ogoki's embedded Photo
I too am in the process of making a camper/atv hauler out of a cargo trailer . I looked and planned for several months to try to make this right the first time to cover all my bases . I bought a SureTrac 7 x 14 with dual axels with brakes . I feel that is important as I will be hauling it in very hilly country . Anyway I installed an RV style door with screen . Last week I removed all the plywood from the walls and insulated. I reinstalled the plywood and installed an RV style window on each side towards the back so that they will be above each of the two bunks. I am now building the bunks . I am making them to fold down . They will be hinged 4 1/2 inches from the wall for storage of the foam between the bed and the wall.I am also making the beds to be two bunks or by slipping a piece of plywood in the center it will make a king size bed for my wife and I .

To keep it light and to be able to remove easily if needed we purchased a Cabelas Camp Kitchen . We got the bigger one and I will use conduit camps to attach it to the walls. We used it on a trip this fall when we first got the trailer and it worked out real well.

Plan to add a 12 ft awning also .

If you go in the side door the Camp Kitchen will be on the opposite wall . The bunks in the back and between the walk in door and the first bunk I will use a fold up table to eat off of .

One person above also referred to the Cargo Trailer Conversion forum . You can get LOTS of ideas from that forum too. That is where I found out where to purchase my windows from. With this trailer I can haul my ATV and camp out of while bear hunting . When I want a 2 or 3 day camping trip it is all wee need with just my wife and I . Have had travel trailes up to 28 ft but as I get older I like it simpiler . Can send you pics if you like.

29-Jan-11
Ogoki I like the king size bed option you are working into you trailer. I may have to steal that idea from you when I start mine.

How wide are you making each bed? Are you planning walk room between the 2? C

29-Jan-11
Ogoki,

Toss the pictures on here if you can. Would love to see how your doing this. Im going to be looking for windows and a RV style door now to. Have been looking over that forum since it was posted last night.

29-Jan-11

Ogoki's embedded Photo
Ogoki's embedded Photo
Her is a picture from last bear hunt . I will post some interior pictures when I get the bunks done whicj should be later today . As you can see we used fold up cots the past trip. Also is the camp kitchen . I made a screen that connects to the back opening and it worked out well for during the day . Will posy more .

29-Jan-11

Ogoki's embedded Photo
Ogoki's embedded Photo
The cots and screen .

29-Jan-11
ok im lost can u guys pleas explain i own a small cargo trailer , but why not just buy a samll bumper camper to haul around

again im lost are they that much money some of those cargo trailers aint cheap either ,,

29-Jan-11
cargo trailers can be transformed into a toy hauler alot cheaper than buying one. also, the cargo trailer tend to be lighter in weight, so it makes it easier to haul, and they are not as big, so it is easier to get them into more remote spots than a travel trailer. plus you can build them the way you would like too.

29-Jan-11

Ogoki's embedded Photo
Ogoki's embedded Photo
I have $4980 in this trailer with al my modifications . Plus I can use it for work when I need too. Can you spell tax deduction ??

Here is a pic of the bunks ready to use .

29-Jan-11

Ogoki's embedded Photo
Ogoki's embedded Photo
I used 1/2 inch pipe with pipe flanges for the legs .

29-Jan-11

Ogoki's embedded Photo
Ogoki's embedded Photo
As you can see in the above picture there is room for the foam to store between the plywood and wall when traveling. I used angle brackets under the 2 x 6 along the wall and added a 2 x 4 leg just because I wanted to add extra support . I ripped the 2 x 6 down to 4 1/2 inches wide along the wall as the foam is 4 inches thick. In this picture you can see the center piece of plywood that makes it an 81 inch wide bed .

We can now haul our atv and sleep and cook in our trailer . My other option would be to haul the atv on our flat utility trailer and sleep in a tent which is not bad but in northern Ontario the bugs can eat you up when cooking outside . This way we are inside out of the rain and bugs . I can take the Coleman stove outside to cook and eat also . Plus if it is raining when we leave for home we are not packing in the rain .

29-Jan-11
Cookson , I forgot to mention each bunk is 31 inches wide and 19 inches in the center for a total of 81 inches wide when the center is added . I left 1 inch of 2 x 4 showing for the center plywood to rest on .That 1 inch is included in the 31 inches for the bunk. Ogoki

29-Jan-11
ogoki did u get your trailer new seems like a great price..

29-Jan-11
City hunter-

I have a fiberglass topper on my truck, so I need a trailer to haul my atv. the cargo trailer/camper is perfect, and much better for camping when the wife and baby go with.

Great pics Ogoki~

michael

29-Jan-11
City Hunter. Dual purpose gear. We apply that to just about all our hunting gear right. Reduced registration, ownership tax, insurance, and maintenance cost

I know I could use the cargo trailer at least once every month or so for other projects. Then load hunting gear into during season so I am ready to go any time the opportunity comes up. I could get my entire camp in with this setup and then a nice bed to crash on at base camp.

Less setup time once you get to camp.

Big campers limit your ability to get in and popups are nice till the wind really starts kicking up

29-Jan-11
Ogoki,

Where did you get the door and windows, and how hard were they to get in? They look awesome~

I am still racking my brain and hoping to come up with something where my bed could be above the atv, so I wouldnt have to unload it all the time. When I drive out west it would be sweet to pull into the rest stop and crawl in the trailer for a few hours of sleep. It might be a pain to have to unload the atv all the time.

I do like the looks of your beds though, and it is a great idea to have the ability to make it full size. Any ideas what you are going to use for foam yet?

thanks again,

michael

29-Jan-11
Mn Archer the big bed idea is a great one, but I think the only way it will work is the way Ogoki did his.

Maybe you could setup a nice cot in the front part of your trailer for the road trip out west so you dont have to unload all the time. You could also throw a board over some coolers and throw your foam pad on there is space is an issue.

I think climbing up into a bed will start to be a pain after a while.

C

29-Jan-11
My original thought was to have a permanent bed(storage underneath) near the front of the trailer. I would then load gear in behind that. I know it would just be me most of the time in mine. I could easily let a buddy setup a cot once the gear is out.

Now I am thinking of building a removable big bed frame that could sit on boards mounted to the sides for the few times the wife would come along.

C

30-Jan-11
curtis now thar you spell it out makes perfect sense .. i own a small cargo trailer i just need to get out of the elements bag on floor for me is fine .

30-Jan-11

Ogoki's embedded Photo
Ogoki's embedded Photo
I forgot to post this picture of the "King Size" bed .

Mn archer , We leave the space just inside the side door somewhat open and when we stop overnight we can crash there . It worked out well last fall on our "trial trip" . The are where we go there are few motels and they run a $100 a night . That is $200 we saved for just some sleep. Helps offset the extra gas cost by pulling the trailer. The table is foled up out of the way and anything else we just stacked to make room to sleep. For my wife and I that was ok but with another guy that is TOO close for me LOL . The window were not that hard to install . Pulled the plywood , insulated ,reinstalled the plywood. Made a template and taped the area where i planned to cut. Put the template over the space and marked it . Used a Ridgid "multi purpose saw" and cut the staight lines , then finished cutting with a jig saw . If you go with the Frank Bear windows use # 8 1/2 stainless steel screws and have somebody put pressure on the window from outside as you install the screws . The window has a nice ,wide rubber seal to keep rain out .

City Hunter , The trailer is a Sure-Trac / Novae. & X 14 with dual wheels and brakes . Had them install the roof vent and 4 atv tie downs . They had several in the lot . Got it for $4125 including tax . The 6 x 12 ,single axle and no brakes,vent and ties downs at Lowes was $3421 with tax . So for $700 more we got the extra set of wheels ,brakes and 7x14 instead of 6x12 . For just under $700 I bought the RV style door from them (had to wait several weeks to come from factory) The 2 windows from Frank Bear (Vintage Tech) . He is also on Ebay . The balance of wood and hardware from Lowes and Home Depot . I now have $4980 in it the way it sets now. Plan to put a light stain on the wood and seal it with Polycrylic or something similar.

Any question let me know as I have received help from many of you with my questions !!!!!!!!

30-Jan-11
Cool thread guys! Excellent ideas!

30-Jan-11
ogoki,

Have you seen some of the trailers on ebay? They are cheap on there.

michael

30-Jan-11
What do you pull that with, Ogaki?

30-Jan-11
Midwest,

I have a 7x16 enclosed right now that I pull with my gmc 1500 with a 5.3 engine. Yeah, it is a bit much but i can pull it. In fact, in 6 weeks I'll be tugging it to South dakota to trap muskrats- it will be my living shack for 10 days.

michael

30-Jan-11
Should be able to get a butt load of #110 conibears in there, Michael.

Don't think I'ld be wanting to pull that trailer through some of those mountain passes out west with that rig, though!

14-Aug-11

DonSchultz's Link
Good thread worth kicking up top. Here is a link to the best board I know discussing the subject.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=050be52c93e4ae81121f772e892be69f

14-Aug-11
Great thread. I was thinking of getting one, and setting it up with a small chest freezer in the front, and a spot for the generator to run the freezer. Pipe the exhaust and air intake for the generator to the outside, then you can bring oyur first load of meat in, fire it up and while you're packi ng the rest of the meat in, its already busy getting cold.

My generator will run 12-14 hrs on a tank of gas. Even if it runs out before I return with the next load, the stuff in it will stay cold.

After that, same program- fold down cots, gear storage etc.

Would work good for deer camp here athome too, or when we got to archery shoots.

15-Aug-11
High tech red necks. Very nice. love it.

15-Aug-11
great ideas! we should call them campers! :)

15-Aug-11
just use that 15,000 dollar ice house you got Michael.

22-Aug-11
cool

• Sitka Gear