fenceman 22-Feb-11
Adventurewriter 23-Feb-11
Blue Buck2 23-Feb-11
piton 23-Feb-11
Genesis 23-Feb-11
piton 23-Feb-11
wild1 24-Feb-11
08-Feb-11
Well, I just got my shipment back from my '09 trip. Number of issues with poor communication and delays, but that's for another thread.

I normally do not get taxidermy done in Africa, and strongly advise people that ask me against it. Sure there are plenty of opinions, and there is some good cheap work done over there, but there's also a risk of some really poor quality work and zero recourse. I've experienced it before.

Well, I broke my own rule and got a mount done over there again. We were going to do all skulls, but got talked into a shoulder mount on a monster red hartebeest. . . will show you a series of photos to demonstrate specifically what bad african work can look like.

On another note - skulls were poorly bleached with a number of stains, and plaques are generally very mediocre quality wood.

Oh yea, and they lost two beautiful zebra hides, which was the only thing in the shipment my wife was looking forward to.

Before you start, no condolences needed, I knew not to trust the work over there and went ahead anyway, the price was just too attractive, and taxidermy was a last minute thought. AND This is not the first time we've been burned (different Taxis - first was a big name, this was a smaller operation).

08-Feb-11

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo

08-Feb-11

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo

08-Feb-11

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo

08-Feb-11

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo

08-Feb-11

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
the 'good' side

08-Feb-11

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo

08-Feb-11

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
I am pretty sure he didn't have a lazy eye when I shot him. . . .

08-Feb-11
Hope this serves as a warning to those of you going over this summer. No matter how professional the taxidermist appears, and no matter how good their display mounts look, no matter how attractive the price is. . . . . it's still africa.

BTW, if you can't pick it out, eyes are off, head is way too 'fat' (particularly around muzzle), forehead not elongated enough, general finishing work is just horrible.

Anyway, was proud of the trophy, but will probably just enjoy the photo and throw this one up at a local bowshop with a little sign so others can see first hand the quality of work you CAN get over there.

08-Feb-11
Great post! I'll give condolences anyway...to the animal, if not to you ;)

08-Feb-11
maybe you can get it remounted ,

08-Feb-11
At least its smiling.

08-Feb-11
must be the same taxidermist jasper uses lol... just trying to lighten the blow i know how it feels to get a trophy back only to be disappointed

08-Feb-11
Uhhh,it's not hard to pick out....

That dude looks like you dosed him up with about 20 Valiums and then shocked him with about 350 volts.

Sorry that happened. Craig Boddington was on yesterday and in a very political way said don't ever get taxidermy work done in Africa.

08-Feb-11
Ahhh mannn....

On the bright side, you may be able to sell him as a cartoon character or animated movie like the "Madagascar" series... Like Dan said, at least he's, um, happy!

My condolences even if you didn't want em. Any chance someone could fix it a little better or have it remounted?

08-Feb-11
I'll probably throw it up in the bowshop for a while, and if I ever take it back, I may just lop off the horns and do a horn on plaque mount.

Wife even said after I got back, "why'd you agree to get that one mounted, that would have been a cool european' should have called and switched it right then.

08-Feb-11
thanks for making me laugh!

09-Feb-11
I feel for you man! Thanks for showing this "fine" example of the unknown African factor when it comes to taxidermy, so that others may take heed. I went to one of the best shops in RSA and spent almost two hours touring every process on the site. All I can say is it is a crap shoot as far as who is doing each component job on your mount. One shaping the form and mounting horns, another the working the eyes ears and nose, another tanning hides, etc. It's very much like an assembly line so consistency is rare. Still overall, most of their finished product was at an acceptable level for the average customer, but it certainly was not up to the quality that a more discerning client would want for prized, expensive trophies. I was more convinced after searching through dozens of African Taxidermist websites just to get an idea around their artistic abilities. What you see on these are examples of their very best work, not the everyday product. It's like hiring someone to come to your home to paint a full-wall mural. You certainly would want to know the artist's work first-hand before having it him start. Imagine if that artist had a team come in and paint it by the numbers. You shouldn't be surprised if you were disappointed in the result. Find a good taxidermist near you who will work closely with you to capture what you desire. The results will be much more rewarding. I took it one step further than most and did a large portion of each mount working closely with my friend who is a artist/taxidermist. I wanted the best quality I could afford and fortunately I had the opportunity to learn much of what it takes from my friend. Another factor is the amount of time a taxidermist is willing to devote to the finer details of your mount vs. what you are willing to do yourself. The finest mounts are done with great attention to detail and extra time/effort is required. I hope this thread helps those who are going to Africa in the future decide what to do with their trophies.

09-Feb-11
I'm sorry. I feel for you. But I about busted a gut laughing. That's just pitifull.

09-Feb-11
Wow...to open the crate after a long wait to see that looking back at you. I would probably make up some new cuss words. I try to be optimistic about things so understand the lure of having the work done near where the hunt takes place. Sorry about that.

On the good side, you might buy a skull or replica skull at some point to attach the horns to with the result being outstanding.

http://www.skullsunlimited.com/record_variant.php?id=4014

09-Feb-11
They LOST the zebra?

Man, that would be one of my very most prized hides. Zebra just screams "Africa!" I think I'd be more upset at that than anything.

09-Feb-11
Been there once and had enough trouble just getting them prepped and shipped back. My Tax here had a heck of a time, the hides were like rubber. I'm going back in 2012 wouldn't consider ever having them do the work though. I just pray the stuff makes it home!!

09-Feb-11
I too feel your pain. I had mine done in Africa also, by my PH! My impala was so bad I wouldn't show it to anyone. The biggest reason not to have your mounts done over there is you have no recourse if you are not happy with the work. I tried for almost 2 years to get some kind of a refund and could not. I have since found a US taxidermist who had an extra impala hide and is redoing it for THE SAME PRICE it cost me the first time. It's like the old saying " you get what you pay for". I thought my PH was a stand up guy as we had a great hunt with him which is why I trusted him to do a good job on my animals. I was wrong, he promised me he would send me a new hide plus a refund of 100.00 which I never got. Jerry

09-Feb-11
"They LOST the zebra?" They lost 2 zebra hides. Mine and my dad's. Little more ticked at loosing my dad's, was his first trip over bowhunting & he's in his 70's

09-Feb-11
I would be very careful condemning an entire continent because of a bad experience. I have walked around many Sportsman Shows and have seen some pretty poor deer, bear and cat mounts. We seem to realize it’s a bad taxidermist we don’t say...Why NOT to have work done in North America. I have found a fantastic taxidermist in RSA and they do my work custom at a great rate and the work is outstanding. I send them photos of ideas, they respond by email on a regular basis. In fact I wanted my bushbuck done in a hind leg jumping position they created the form for me at no additional charge. It’s like everything in life do your homework, check things out and get references. I visited the taxidermist while I was there the first time. I also go back every time I am there because they are great people and I get new ideas and personally drop off what I have put in the salt that trip. I must say that I am truly sorry the taxidermist you used ruined your Hartebeest but condemn them not the entire continents’ taxidermy industry.

09-Feb-11
Another reason not to ever have your mounts done in Africa is because the tanning over there is horrible and will not last.

09-Feb-11
bearcountry, you are lucky, and may have found a diamond in the rough, BUT I have no issues condeming the vast majority of the taxidermy industry in RSA. And it's not just the result of this particular mount. Thanks for the post bearcountry, I was expecting it sooner or later.

This mount was a hack job. Last time we had mounts done over there was with a big name taxi, and we had 80% decent work and 20% almost as bad as the above. Your average mount over there is OK to most folks who don't pay much attention to detail, and the best work is good, but still not on par with high-quality work in the states. I have a number of mounts sitting side by side some done in the states, some done in Africa - for the most part, you can't tell which is which from 20 feet away, but from 10 feet in it's very obvious.

The thing about it is, most PH's don't know the difference, and I am not sure many RSA taxis do either. If you're going over there this year or in the future, as mentioned do your homework, and form your own opinions, don't trust the sales pitch of the PH or their preferred Taxi.

09-Feb-11
I would'nt have it done and would be surprised if they could ship and dip correctly. The work I had done by Safari Taxidermy was horrible and a looks like it was done by ...Nevermind on that one. My zebra was'nt mine. (8 holes in the hide except where it was shot not to mention the size) The eland's ears are all bondo'ed up. Hell they did'nt even try to hide that screw up! My jackel looked like it was tanned by a cement mixer.

09-Feb-11
Boddington did a piece the other day about why it is better to have the work done here. First off it is more expensive to ship a mount here rather than just the skins. Second, and more importantly you can communicate much better with your taxidermist here in the US than in Afric about just what you want in your mount. He said that he gets photo updates of just how the work is going. Makes a lot of sense to me.

09-Feb-11
Terrible, feel for you. I'd be livid about the "lost" zebra hides!

09-Feb-11
Best thread all day. I about died laughing,my condolences to the hartebeest. :)

09-Feb-11
Call your PH a see if he can get you another cape and have it redone here.

09-Feb-11
Thanks for sharing. That sucks TXrog. Beautiful hartebeest ruined. I'd do the fake skull euro mount.

I also thought I could save a few bucks and have a warthog skull mount done in SA rather than dipping/packing and sending it to the US only to be cleaned and whitened. Boy was I was wrong. They couldn't even do a skull mount. Derek Robinson Taxidermy's idea of a warthog skull mount was a yellowed skull, broken jaw, cheap wood/sawdust plaque and came in 3 broken pieces when it arrived. My taxidermist here fixed it for free (thanks Barry) and did my 4 shoulder mounts with it. I even toured DR's studio and shop. What is displayed in the studio is not what comes out the back door. I will NEVER have anything else done over there.

10-Feb-11
1) Q of work 2) once one gets all the animals returned, you may decide on a better way to monnt them than simple sh mounts. (Pedestal or wall pedestal, 2 or 3 together) 3) If you do not like a mount , What do you do? ship it back 4) better communication with taxidermist you Know and trust in the US 5) you get what you pay for. 6) skull mount they did there on my 4th Kudu is the Worst I have out of 80 mounts ( cut half the skull off there ,why?) 7) most good taxidermist here are Artist . 8) most of the black labor there is as Addictive to mj as NBA players here. enough said .

10-Feb-11
This just makes me want to never go to Africa. Too many great animals in N America that I still have to get after before I consider going overseas. If I ever do it'll be New Zealand for a red-stag...those things are awesome.

Sorry on the mount and lost zebra hides...it always sucks when you "get what you pay for"!

10-Feb-11
I have never been to Africa... scheduled for a 2012 hunt in RSA. The lost zebra skins to me are worse than the bad mount. At the very least you can do a horn mount with the hartebeest, the zebras are gone for good. How many people have had their trophies lost? If they are lost, it does not matter if you are doing a shoulder mount or just a dip and pack they are gone! If you get a dip and pack done do they cut the skull and just send the horns? Or do they boil the whole thing like a Euro mount. The reason I ask is when I go I will get most of mine in Euro mounts.

11-Feb-11
When we went to Zim, my brother had an impala and bushbuck mounted there. Can't say I was impressed with the mounts. He had a monster kudu, 55.5" european mount done and I think he's happier with that.

11-Feb-11
"I am pretty sure he didn't have a lazy eye when I shot him. . . . "

lol...that was worth the price of admission.

Good thread!

11-Feb-11
"If you get a dip and pack done do they cut the skull and just send the horns? Or do they boil the whole thing like a Euro mount. The reason I ask is when I go I will get most of mine in Euro mounts"

Usually you will get the whole skull, but it's worth the 2 minutes it takes to let the outfitter and dip/pack company know you want the skulls. They are usually boiled in camp, Dip/pack companies are a bit of a scam IMO - they really don't do much other than spray and stuff in a box, but they charge almost as much as getting a euro done.

11-Feb-11
Need to have a "Caption Contest" for those pics.

11-Feb-11
I believe that is the first mount I ever saw that looks like it is saying "Heil Hitler!"

11-Feb-11
That's really a shame. Thanks for the info.

... and you're quite a gentleman to say that the Zebra hides were "lost".

11-Feb-11
I saw the same eye sets last Oct in RSA. They are eyes made is RSA and used to save money. I saw them at Trophex Taxidermy. The owner actually tried to tell me that was what the animal looked like in the wild. I said "you are kidding me, right? The thing looks like it just took a giant hit of a joint or something" The man stood his position so stay away.

12-Feb-11

Tilzbow's embedded Photo
Tilzbow's embedded Photo

Tilzbow's Link
Here's an option for you.

12-Feb-11
Some places want you to get them mounted over there. I think they get a cut of the money or something. I'd say ninety percent of those country's taxidermy is junk. It's bad enough you have to have them fool with them at all.

12-Feb-11
I do taxidermy here, and have completed numerous plains game mounts - maybe I shouldn't say that as my post might get pulled - but during a recent trip I took a client who killed a cape buffalo and an impala. He chose to have the taxidermy completed over there, primarily due to the cape buffalo, its cost of the hunt and the fact I had never mounted a cape. Anyway, the mounts were completed and returned. The impala was terrible as I expected, I could have done much better. Fortunately the buffalo was great - and that was the primary goal of the hunter, having a great buffalo mount. BUT, it made no sense, why the cape buffalo was mounted near perfection and the impala was so poor. Maybe it is as some have suggested here - a lot depends on who in particular does the work as an abundance of workers may have a chance to try their hand at completion of a particular mount. Also, the safest method is to bring it home, you have recourse, you can work with the taxidermist during the process - theoretically speaking of course - and the cost will be similar after you add in the extra charges for shipping of a large crate.

12-Feb-11
Looks like lipstick. Maybe she's needing a date :^) Here are two facts to ponder; 1)there are many good taxidermists in SA, 2)most of them don't do any actual taxidermy work. The bigger "studios" can have up to 100 indigenous employees each of which has a function. You really don't know who has mounted your stuff when you get it and normally the stuff in the display room is what the actual taxidermist himself has done. Someone who may not even see your work before it ships.

Ken Moody

12-Feb-11
Why risk it?

Our stuff should be tanned shortly in Houston.

12-Feb-11
Funny in a way! I was short on cash one year and used a cheaper taxidermist for a big 10 point deer. My wife still laughs at the mount it looks BAD! Ahh well, I can easily get a new hide and get it redone. Some of what makes mine look bad are in your mount, like the bulging eyes 9and lazy eye) - made my laugh!

Not being mean, good info I wil go to Africa and have followed shipping costs and this immediatly caught my eye.

14-Feb-11
"To make it worse, the black guys were eating the brains from the skull caps."

OMG I bet thats a site to see before breakfast..

21-Feb-11
I must be the luckiest guy alive.I have had a bunch of animals done by taxidermists in Africa and I have been very happy with all of them.

21-Feb-11
I suspect you may be able to get the hide off, set a new pair of eyes, and save that mount at minimal expense. Better than hiding it and losing out on the memories it can stir in you.

21-Feb-11
oh boy... ya its not good. Like above you never know who's doing your mount and most of the time you can put good money on the fact the actual Taxidermist will not lay a finger on it.

P.s. Pat i know that Taxidermy well ;-)

21-Feb-11
Ya have to admit those African mounted critters make a good conversation piece over a few beers!!

21-Feb-11
Ya have to admit those African mounted critters make a good conversation piece over a few beers!!

21-Feb-11
If the hartebeest was dry tanned and no hide paste was used you can have a taxidermist rehydrate the cape and it will slip off the form for remounting. If it was wet tanned then you'll need a new cape to remount.

Ken Moody

21-Feb-11
"My jackel looked like it was tanned by a cement mixer." Highlife just made me spit diet pepsi all over my monitor. My wife is yelling at me to clean it up but I don't care cause thats one of the funniest things I have seen on Bowsite.

22-Feb-11
I think that is a pretty good chupacabra mount.

22-Feb-11
I just wished I'd a found it as funny :(

22-Feb-11
LMAO

22-Feb-11
Txnrog, as I look at it even more, that's got to be the ugliest mount I've ever seen. I don't mean to be mean, but I can't stop laughing. The only thing that's worse, is that hippo. Ken

23-Feb-11
Wow how could it be worse...sort of looks a little like Nancy Reno....feel for you brother...

23-Feb-11
Pat, did that Happy Hippo come with a ballerina outfit?

23-Feb-11
Yikes!

Sorry for the animals but being that it has happened to you before and knew it wasn't a good idea and still did it....cant say I feel sorry for you. Don't mean to sound like a jerk, just calling it like I see it.

23-Feb-11
I think we just found out "Who Shot Roger Rabbit?"

23-Feb-11
Pardon my ignorance Genesis, but I don't understand your reference?

24-Feb-11
I always thought there should be a "Taxidermy" catagory here on Bowsite. Threads like this one, reviews, suggestions, photos and maybe even an increase in (taxidermists) sponsors. Just a thought.

• Sitka Gear