SDHNTR(home) 26-Mar-11
dahusker 26-Mar-11
Rayzor 27-Mar-11
Shrewski 27-Mar-11
25-Mar-11

Rayzor's embedded Photo
Rayzor's embedded Photo

Rayzor's Link
VPA Spur Turkey Broadheads are now available from rayzor-vpa.com. These are specialized broadheads designed for rapid deceleration allowing for maximum energy transfer. They have 1 1/8" cutting diameter. NOTE: THESE BROADHEADS ARE BARBED. If your state has laws against barbed broadheads we will be coming out with a non-barbed version inf the fall or prior to the spring 2012 season.

Bowsiters get free shipping on orders of $50 or more. Enter coupn code: bowsite at checkout.

25-Mar-11

Rayzor's embedded Photo
Rayzor's embedded Photo

Rayzor's Link
Here's a pic of the Spur.

26-Mar-11
I was wondering how well they fly?

26-Mar-11

Rayzor's embedded Photo
Rayzor's embedded Photo

Rayzor's Link
They fly great. No special fletching required like some turkey points. I just received an email from someone yesterday who said that the loved how the flew and he couldn't wait to put one in a turkey.

Anyone who makes a kill with these during the Spring 2011 season, shoot me a good usable pic for the website gallery that shows the Spur in the pic. I'll will send you a coupon code to get 20% off of an order and a VPA TShirt. Make sure and make reference to this when you send your pic.

26-Mar-11
I don't know why anyone would want to limit penetration for turkeys, unless increasing cutting diameter. When I was shooting my standard big game set-up for turkeys (70# @ 28 1/2" draw, 536 grn arrow, with 125 grn COC 3 blade), about half the time the arrow stayed in the bird anyway. They absorb energy like a bag target! I sure wouldn't want a design that would hang up even more in heavy feathers.

26-Mar-11
Just ordered mine and can't wait to give them a try.

26-Mar-11
What Ziek said x 2

26-Mar-11
I can see the allure of headshots with the Guillotine or the Bullhead and they sure have proven to be effective. I would not have any interest in these though. Just shoot your normal deer broadhead if you want to take body shots. Muzzy works great for me. Rage or some of the larger expandables would sure have a place too but these are a non-starter with me. JMO

26-Mar-11
They are illegal for use in the states where you guys that don't like the idea live. I want any and all comments though. I hope you prove wrong needless to say. We'll see what the field brings in feedback from actual use. They sure generated a ton of interest at the ATA Show. VPATerminators worked fine on all the birds my friends and I have shot but every one blew through them and kept going so there was energy lost. I wanted to try a point like this and couldn't find one that I liked so I made one. They fly great and hit with authority as planned.

26-Mar-11
Rayzor- With all due respect, it looks as though you guys have overthought this broadhead. It's almost like you have this very sharp, made to blow through anything broadhead, backed with a break. Kind of like building a super fast car and driving with the e-brake on. It looks great I was just wondering why it is so complex. I could definitely think of several other designs that would have the same desired effect and are significantly more simple that would also get you through the "barbed" issue. JMHO

26-Mar-11
dahusker, Some, myself included, prefer a turkey broadhead that dumps 100% of the arrow's energy into the bird and stays in it. It's a lot harder for a turkey to fly or run off with an arrow stuck in it.

26-Mar-11
SDHTR,

To each his own and that's certainly your right to choose any legal head. Turkeys are awfully tough and I've had many shots stay in the bird even though I was shooting a normal head. Good luck this season.

27-Mar-11

Rayzor's embedded Photo
Rayzor's embedded Photo

Rayzor's Link
Wow, a few of you guys are tough on me!

Well, some of us run with our ideas and this one was mine. I, too have killed birds with other broadheads, including a couple mentioned here. I also have experienced and heard of many cases where hunters lost birds that flew or ran off. Not wanting this, I set out to build a better head.

Starting with general make up of the VPATerminator which has proven itself as a tough, long lasting, and durable head, I wanted to add features that would achieve my goals. Basically the goals were: >Make sure it flies true without any special arrows or fletching. >If the head passes through the bird make sure the head transfers the majority of its energy to the bird prior to exiting. There should be no reason to have to argue that rapid deceleration is how this is done as it is a known fact. >If it doesn't pass through the bird, make sure it stays in there. It's tougher to run or fly with an arrow than without. >Maintain a minimum cutting diameter of 7/8" or more to be legal in my home state. >Maintain the general durability and long lasting design of the VPATerminator.

All of these goals were achieved. They work as designed. Not having lived in a state with barbed broadhead laws, this was not a consideration.

We can make all the claims we want here but the proof will come from the field. I'm looking forward what the Spring has to bring and what feedback comes from field use. There are quite a few out there.

For those of you who are giving them a try, check out my thread for the VPA Spring Gobbler Photo contest. It is open to anyone using Spurs or VPATerminators. VPA Prostaff are not eligible.

As with all VPA products, if they fail to perform to the customers expectations, contact me. I will give you a refund.

27-Mar-11
No criticism here, just a question?

Where does the rapid deceleration come from? I could see it if the rear blades were not in line with the front and offset 30 degrees or so, but in my mind they would follow right along.

• Sitka Gear