Rayzor 24-Jun-11
Bill in MI 25-Jun-11
mathewscountry 25-Jun-11
Big24 25-Jun-11
Rayzor 26-Jun-11
Seminole 27-Jun-11
Ziek 27-Jun-11
16-Jun-11
i live in oregon and for some reason my fish and game will not let use use expandadles, what Broadhead would you chose if you could not use expandadles? could be 100g or 125g

16-Jun-11
if you can find an old satellite titan they are tough to beat.

16-Jun-11
You can try Magnus Buzz Cuts. I'm trying out Abowyer if you want to look at a single bevel.

LBB

16-Jun-11
There are too many good ones to choose from and everyone is going to suggest you use what they like.....Just wait, it's comming....

16-Jun-11
the best broadhead is one that flies straight and dosent break on impact, and will retain a sharp edge. to amny good ones to say what will work best for you.

16-Jun-11
Straight, sharp and solid shouild work fine.

16-Jun-11
I would go with the 125 or heavier, especially if you are going for elk.

Here are a few ALL American companies that produce excellent heads.

Magnus, Muzzy, Steelforce, and VPA Terminators.

16-Jun-11
schwacker. not even close

16-Jun-11
Like above,there are many good ones out there. My preference is the Slick Trick bhs and the VPA Terminators.

16-Jun-11
The VPA terminator 125 and 150 is my favorite. Strongest BH that I have tested.

16-Jun-11
Hey there bigswivel, isnt the swacker an expandable? To answer the posed question, what would you use if you COULD NOT use an expadable? I would say neverdul and roger are right on. I have chosen the 100 grain NAP HELLRAZOR and it flies excellent!

16-Jun-11
I have no idea what the "best" one is. I don't even know what the "best" one for my bow is. It seems like I have good results on what I have shot in the past but that constant "Quest" that I am on keeps me trying a few new ones every year to see if there is something better. I have narrowed it down to something that I can resharpen and use over an over without having to buy replacement blades. The is personal preference though and there are a lot of fantastic replaceable blade heads out there. About the time I think I got the "best" head they either discontinue it or something newer maybe better just came out.

16-Jun-11
Many to choose from, but VPA Terminator 100gr fixed 3 blade flies great for me and is devastating on impact.

16-Jun-11
Slick Trick without a doubt.

16-Jun-11
Kind of like debating which supermodel is the hottest.

Decide if you to resharpen or replace blades. Decide if you want warranty. Decide if you want two blades, three blades or four. Shop around. Buy. Shoot and tune. Go forth and kill.

Don't overthink this.

FWIW, I shoot Magnus SS Snuffers. If you held a gun to my head and said tomorrow that "Thou shalt shoot Slick Tricks (or Buzz Cuts/Terminators/Montecs yada yada yada)" I would lose about 0.05 seconds of sleep over it.

16-Jun-11
Like JLS said, first narrow down your search by deciding what kind of head you want. If you want a 1-piece head check out the VPA Terminator and Magnus Snuffer SS. If you want a head with replaceable blades, Slick Trick, Shuttle T-lock, and Muzzy are all good but there are plenty of other good heads as well. Find one that fits your style (resharpening or replacable blades), tune so it flies straight, practice with it, get it sharp and put it right in the vitals.

16-Jun-11
G5 striker

16-Jun-11
Two broadheads that have an excellent reputation are NAP Thunderheads and Wensel Woodsmans. I've shot deer with both and both fly straight and true off of every setup I own, compound bow as well as my recurve and longbow, aluminum, carbon, and cedar shafting. Thunderheads have replaceable blades, Woodsmans require sharpening if you desire to do a little work of your own. Both are simple, deep penetrating and tried and true.

16-Jun-11
im just now starting to care a little about what i shoot, im the guy who didn't care if he shot 10$ wallmart brand heads Intel last year i relised if i had a better sharper head i might have not lost my buck thank you for all the feed back greatly appricated thanks D.J

16-Jun-11
Zwickey have been in my quiver for several decades and see no real reason to change. BUT if some suppliers should want to donate a few dozen different one-piece, 3 or 4-blades to try, e-mail me for the address :.)

16-Jun-11

Guardian's embedded Photo
Guardian's embedded Photo
The Best broadhead is one that passes directly thru the boiler room!!! But if you want the best broadhead with the best customer support then it is with out a doubt Magnus Buzz Cuts!!! Period! Had fifteen old ones bent broken or what have you and sent them in and they sent me 15 brand new ones no questions asked.

16-Jun-11
now i shoot a 100g head for elk and deer and last year i lost a true giant muley because penetration, giving it was a quartering away shot but i only got 2-3inchs of penetration from what i could tell with my arrow waving as he ran away. i just don't want that sickening feeling ever again

17-Jun-11
vpa terminator. if everyone could try one i think there would be a lot more people using them. most solid design there is

17-Jun-11
Steelforce 100 or 125 Phatheads......tough, sharp and they fly with the best....and they don't break the bank.

17-Jun-11
"vpa terminator. if everyone could try one i think there would be a lot more people using them. most solid design there is"

Exactly.

18-Jun-11
slicktrick standards because they fly great, accuracy is important and yes they are tough

18-Jun-11
Shuttle Ts great and durable..

18-Jun-11
Shuttle T Locks for me.

18-Jun-11

Rayzor's embedded Photo
Rayzor's embedded Photo

Rayzor's Link
Great word from our customers!

VPA Terminators! Try them and you will be hunting with them too!

Everyone here knows I'm biased toward them but there is a reason we brought them to market. We wanted to make the toughest, best flying broadhead available for the money. They are 100% CNC machined, from high carbon tool grade steel. Heat Treated and through hardened to 50 Rockwell, then Teflon coated for better penetration. The steel holds its edge well and is easy to resharpen. There are several tests out there that show their performance. My personal favorites are the 125s and 150s, but they are offered in 85, 100, 125, 150, 175, 200, 250 and 300 gran in screw in models. 160, 190 and 250 grain in glue ons.

Bowsiters get free shipping on VPATerminators and Spur turkey broadheads from my webstore. 3 packs of Small Game Thumpers will get you free shipping too. use coupon code: bowsite at checkout.

Above is a link to my store. Check out the trophy galleries on the VPA website: vparchery.com. Also search here for what people have said.

18-Jun-11

Rayzor's embedded Photo
Rayzor's embedded Photo

Rayzor's Link
Forgot to mention they are machined solid in ONE PIECE during my last post. No welds or weak spots. 100% spin tested. They have been proven and taken trophies around the world.

18-Jun-11
i really like slick tricks

19-Jun-11
I'll stick with my Terminators. Strongest head that I have shot. Fly awesome and silent in flight too.

19-Jun-11
i got to agree with Infiniti11, Steelforce heads are hard to beat

19-Jun-11
Hey Bogenshutuze! the one that doesn't break down, the one that doesn't give you indegestion, and my next one....in that order.

20-Jun-11
Seriously why are you asking this question??? You should have known your going to get everyone's personal opinion!!! The person you should be asking is your self!!! You have to be confident in your BH selection!! Sorry to be blunt but it's the truth!! Shoot what your confident in using!!! Best of luck

20-Jun-11
I have become a big fan of Slick Tricks!

They went thru my Bear like hot butter out of the box no sharpening was needed.

I have also heard great things about NPA and Silver Flames as well.

20-Jun-11
A sharp one with no moving parts and built solid like the VPA or Woodsman Elite.

20-Jun-11
I've used Muzzy's 90-grain 4-Blade for years and years and they have never failed me. I have a few dozen and exra boxes of replacement blades, so I'm confident that I won't be switching anytime soon.

The best one will be the one sticking out of my BIG dead BIGHORN Ram in about 11 weeks or so!

21-Jun-11
one with a bloody arrow trailing behind it...

21-Jun-11
I have been totally sold on Slick Tricks for a number of years! The first time I screwed one onto an arrow, spun it, found it true and shot at 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards and found it hitting right with my field points after I had only done a good amount of field point tuning I was sold on them. My previous broadheads did not group well at that time. They are VERY strong, sharp and not expensive. In addition to that I will give three examples of when they did the trick (no pun) under less than desirable shots. My shooting partner shoots 100 grain standards, and just as he released on a caribou it moved forward; the arrow hit broadside in the back ham and left a hole he could shove his thumb through all of the way throught both hams, exiting into the tundra. He shoots about 64 # with adraw of about 30 inches. It died in 50 yards. I only shoot 60 # with a draw length of 26 1/2 using 125 grain magnums. I took an extreme angling shot on a white tail at 20 yards, feeling confident that I could hit just behind the back rib and angle forward into the chest. I shot about 2 inches too far toward the rear and the arrow slid into the back ham just in front of the ball joint and ended up stuck on the inside center front of the rib cage after passing through the entire center of the animal's vitals. It was dead in 60 yards. Note: the magnum did NOT glance off. The third performance was when I shot a bull elk at 30 yards angled slightly away from me and the arrow hit right behind the back rib and angled forward coming out on the back of the far shoulder. Although it completely penetrated, only the tip of the arrow was sticking out and it was dead in 200 yards. In all cases the heads and blades still looked brand new after the kill. I had to use a magnifying glass to look for stains after I put my arrows back in my quiver. When they performed so well with my relatively low KE they really show their value. My son has had excellent results on elk, mule deer, javelina, turkeys, etc with his 125 grain magnums also. I will most likly switch to the standards or even the razor tricks because of my low KE.

21-Jun-11
I'm also a fan of Slick Tricks, I use their 15 grain Slick Trick Magnum for Whitetail Deer and have had complete pass through on the 13 I have shot with them.

If you are after Elk or larger you might want to look at their COC RazorTrick.

Both of these fine broadheads come in 100 and 125 grain.

22-Jun-11
I think the best broadhead is one that's RAZOR SHARP and matched to my equipment (both the bow and arrow) and the game I'm hunting. It should have blades that are thicker than .030".

My personal choice is a G5 Montec CS 100.

22-Jun-11
......confused yet?

22-Jun-11
I have used Rocket, Muzzy 100gr 3 blade, 125 gr. 3 blade, Magnus Stinger 4 blade (cut on impact) and the old Satelite broadheads. I have had best arrow flight from 125 gr Magnus Stinger 4 blades... and they hold up very well both on impact and blade edge...

22-Jun-11
Simmons

22-Jun-11
"What's the best car? What's the best food? What's the best beer? What's the best...." dunno, you got me there. But VPAs are the best broadheads in the history of archery...just follow the simple sharpening video on their website.

22-Jun-11
Seriously... "in the history of archery"... but you gotta watch a video to learn how to sharpen them???? WOW... Ed F

22-Jun-11
Well, the first 40,000 ys. we can probably discount. And I honestly don't think there is anything currently available or in recent past that is as good as the VPAs.

As far as sharpening, a video helps because most people don't have a clue about sharpening. That said, they come pretty sharp, but anyone wanting uber sharpness should know the simple procedures well presented by their video. I guess if there is a fault, the VPAs could come uber sharp, but this is a tough head that is going to be reusable more than others so you're going to want to know how to sharpen them. That said, anyone with a high quality file or diamond stick is going to have an easy job because the three edges provide a consistent angle.

23-Jun-11
I tend to get bored with the same ole, same ole. Because of that, I like to try different setups whether it be bows or BH's.

I've shot Thunderheads, Zwickey's, Muzzy's, Montec's, Snuffer's, as well as some others I'm probably forgetting. This year I'm going to try Slick Tricks. The only BH that didn't stay intact was a Thunderhead when an antelope ducked and I hit him in the spine. All the others performed flawlessly on elk and moose.

Any quality COC, fixed blade BH will do the job it is intended to do. Although I'm sure mechanicals will work just fine on deer sized critters, I won't use them on elk. Simply a personal choice. To say one is "best" is purely subjective and nothing more than personal opinion, as highlighted by all the different posts.

23-Jun-11
Thearchersedge.net has great testing on lots of BHs. The only complaint I have is that it tests everything with a switchback which can put 2 different pieces of shrapnel on a stick and put them in the same place. As many of us shoot a variety of bows, we know that tuning is not always a walk in the park. But from a penetration standpoint this is a good site. Has anyone seen the MX3s shot through a steel drum. The old guy changes the blades and it looks good as new. Very impressive. Its on an ebay ad.

23-Jun-11
I always use thunderheads and Muzzy Both are great and will do any job

23-Jun-11
Actually, personal opinion can be discounted in a well designed series of broadhead tests that would include evaluating for toughness, penetration, arrow flight, quietness, edge retention, angled shot results and so forth.

23-Jun-11
David, when personal opinion is based on actual in-the-field experience, please explain how that can be discounted.

If you are in love with the VPA's, then that's precisely what you should use. However, to say it is the "best" is nothing more than your personal opinion. Is what you are saying that your personal opinion should be discounted as well, or are you saying your personal opinion is the only one that matters?

23-Jun-11
I would argue that the "Worst" broadhead in the best place would trump the "Best" broadhead in the worst place :)

Show me a guy that can put broadhead A in the "pocket" and 99/100x that animal is in a trophy picture.

I think more lost animals get blamed on the head rather than the archer.

Sometimes its better to blame the pilot than the plane.....

23-Jun-11
Bogen: I agree with most that you said except your last statement regarding vented heads over nonvented and the notion that straight blade is somehow superior over serrated. My tests have indicated differently.

One advantage of a nonvented broadheads is that hair, (think grizzly, elk, and moose) will not be a factor in clogging the vented broadheads which can impede penetration. It happens more than you think with big game. Straightness of the broadhead and tune of the bow easily outweigh whether a broadhead is vented or nonvented. I have no problem shooting heads that weigh 150 grains or more that are nonvented out to distances of 80 yards. Additionally, assuming the heads are identical in geometry, and material, the nonvented will be structurally stronger albiet heavier.

As for serrated blades, there are different types of serrations and some such as the chisel serration that can aide in the slicing of an animal'S inernal blood vessels.

23-Jun-11
Well in a short response, reason for asking it the way I did was so I could see everyone else's personal preference and if I start to see a pattern then go with it. I guess I could of asked (what broad head would you use) would that have been better? Now if your not going to help me on the question I asked then please just don't respond its a waste of reading. Thanks to all that has helped greatly appreciated. D.j

23-Jun-11
Honestly, all joking aside, I like Slick Tricks the best for durability, sharpness, ease of replacement, accuracy and 4 blades really leave a nice blood trail. Can't go wrong with them IMO and overall I like the shorter profile heads.

23-Jun-11
Wyobull...a good objective test would trump my personal opinion and my field results and any other individuals' as well - in my opinion. lol

24-Jun-11
Ihunt: This is not AT where you have fanboys jumping up and down, but people who have actually bowhunted more than 3 years. You won't see a pattern nor should you. There are allot of quality heads out there. I have tested for over six years and you learn something new each year about each brands heads.

If you test long enough you will also discover that different brands at different weights that perform better than others. Here are few that are excellent all the way around that will achieve the results you are looking for.

For 100 grain heads I like the Muzzy 100 four blade, the Steelforce Phathead, Magnus Buzzcut 4 blade, VPA Terminator, GK Silverflame, and the Shuttle T.

For 125 grain heads I like the Magnus Buzzcut four blade, 125 phathead, Muzzy 3 blade, the Shuttle T,GK Silverflame, and the VPA Terminator.

For 150 grain heads: The VPA Terminator is the best I have ever tested.

If I had the opportunity to hunt Oregon with the opportunity to hunt elk, I would go with a 125 grain head or heavier.

All of the heads above will get you a quick kill if you know how to shoot and tune a bow. Hope this helps.

24-Jun-11
A sharp one that flies tru as a field point. Preferably 3 blade on heavier bows 2 blade on lighter poundage I like wensel woodsmans or snuffers. But Im one of those whacky trad hunters.

24-Jun-11

mathewscountry's Link
if you want a trend heres one i thought folks were done ill have to add again the last few.but clearly slick trick was favorite of more bowsiters than any other manufacturer

24-Jun-11

David Alford's embedded Photo
David Alford's embedded Photo
Here's Slick Trick construction vs. one piece VPA Terminators...

24-Jun-11
Wow David, thats an oldie goldie, don't lose those, if you look at the blades and ferrules those are collectors items going back to the very first ones made 10 years ago. Those are Mags, Standards weren't out until maybe 2004. The first super short heads that changed broadhead history and set about an industry revolution to better heads.

The Standard cuts more than the 3 blade heads, but you can depend on the strength of it as well as one piece heads. Thats what makes it special. With the new Mercedes steel blades are 25% stronger than they were, so breaking one is a tough task. The beauty of it is that if somehow you miraculously broke a Standard blade, you still have a 3 blade head. Thats insurance no 3 blade head has.

Hope that helps.

24-Jun-11

Rayzor's embedded Photo
Rayzor's embedded Photo

Rayzor's Link
I guess this is a good of place as any to say if you shoot 100s, wait until you try the new UNVENTED version of the VPA Terminator 100. Shot one of the protos through a old burn barrel this weekend only to be stopped by the fletching. COMING SOON!

If you choose the VPA Terminators, or our new 2 blades that are yet to be named, rayzor-vpa.com gives free shipping on all broadheads for bowsiters. Use coupon code:bowsite at checkout.

(note: ad above notes a different coupon code please use bowsite so I can track where the sales are coming from)

24-Jun-11

Rayzor's embedded Photo
Rayzor's embedded Photo

Rayzor's Link
I guess this is a good of place as any to say if you shoot 100s, wait until you try the new UNVENTED version of the VPA Terminator 100. Shot one of the protos through a old burn barrel this weekend only to be stopped by the fletching. COMING SOON!

If you choose the VPA Terminators, or our new 2 blades that are yet to be named, rayzor-vpa.com gives free shipping on all broadheads for bowsiters. Use coupon code:bowsite at checkout.

(note: ad above notes a different coupon code please use bowsite so I can track where the sales are coming from)

24-Jun-11
David, still denouncing designs and products you've never tested on game, I see.....How's the "STAR Book" comming?

I for one have used them on game and they're spectacular. Even when things go wrong. You tend to decry the use of anything that isn't 'traditionally designed'. Somehow, 'new' is bad, to you. Doesn't work that way for those who are actually experienced and informed.

And, how about we don't turn this into a pi$$ing contest between Slicktrick and VPA. Seen enough of that BS here to last me a lifetime. They are both excellent designs, albeit different.......that's possible, ya' know?

24-Jun-11
roger, I'm not denouncing Slick Tricks (and I stand corrected on the pic being an older design - that was unintentional as I simply did a Google search on Slick Trick images and used one of the first ones that came up). But the fact is, it's got multiple pieces and blades that are put together. Doesn't mean it's a crappy head, in fact I'm willing to grant you it's probably one of the better ones out there with the improvements they have made.

The STAR Method is coming along well. You obviously like to cross thread/subject taunt as if it will never happen or if the techniques will be substandard. I don't bluff, but I do multi task and it is getting done on my time, not anyone elses. I'm not your enemy and I don't think your choice of bhs is junk, so lighten up. I simply stated my opinion. When someone reaches near perfection as I believe the VPAs are, I don't withold praise. It's really quite rare and I am a nitpicking critic on the way most things are made. BHs should be virtually infallible, but that is rarely the case unfortunately.

24-Jun-11
Oh, you wont see a negative word printed by me, anyone employed by, on VPA's Prostaff or Fieldstaff directed specifically at else's products. I actually hold a few other manufactures' products in high regard and have several pre VPA trophies taken with them. Just don't ask me who's....lol. We just wanted to make a one piece, fully machined, ultra tough, great flying broadhead at a competitive price. We did. No pi$$ing required.

24-Jun-11
Rayzor beat me to it, kudos. I was also going to post the same thing. Rayzor has done the same thing I did, make a head, tell people about how he feels it compares to other types, and sell them.

I have never had a hint of anything amiss, just good clean competition. Which is how it should be, and is almost without exception. I have always gotten along fine with the Muzzys, Andy at NAP, Bruce Barrie, etc., only really had one problem with personal attacks and staff playing games.

I admire broadhead manufacturers who are honest and hard working, know what it takes. Come over and see me Rayzor at the ATA, or I'll come over and see you. Keep some candy at the booth, come over like the other guys and fill up. Hopefully you are as full of ____ as some of the other manufacturers and make people roll on the floor. I'm not as good a comedian as some. Reminds me of John Muzzy Sr., just before he got sick, telling a story about being in Africa up a tree and some critter working his way up to Johns crotch chewing. John was pretty cool, wish he was still telling stories and with Mrs. Muzzy, she is the definition of cool also.

25-Jun-11
Kudos to you two. Classy!

Bill

25-Jun-11
+2 Bill

25-Jun-11
What's the best broadhead??? Good Question. I see a couple of manufactures of broadheads giving us their pitch and others chirping in with their opinions. All good stuff. But what I would like to see is a Head-2-Head feature on this site comparing broadheads, just as they do with bows. Broadhead-2-Broadhead. Take a vote on the broadheads we want to see compared, put the top 5 head-2-head. Compare features like accuracy, penetration, noise, sharpness and durability. I believe this would give use all a better understanding of what is the best broadhead.

26-Jun-11
Several youtube videos, out there. There was a great test published on one of the BH mags a year or two ago that was what I would consider on of the best ever. Unfortunately it was early for on for us and ours weren't included in the test. One problem there are with test people do is they may not be fair across the board. If you are shooting at a cylindrical object like a bone and one hits right on the high spot and penetrates completely (and many of the good ones would)and then the next one hits off center and deflected, cracked or broke, did it fail? Possibly. Did it fail the same test? No. All things have to be equal to be a fair test. The types of stresses applied in those impacts are completely different from those put on a broadhead that hit at the high spot of the cylinder. I actually use, don't give me too much hell here, crossbows to do alot of testing. Mainly because I can use a benchrest, bags and a scope to get things a close to the same shot to shot as possible. Main thing I have to worry about there is changing out for a fresh target if you are doing penetration or durability tests. Ranges are limited though. I hear a lot of the tests are done using various other things like Hooter Shooters but I don't have one of those. A couple places I know of use high speed cameras to measure stablity in flight too. It would be nice to do a test. One of the BH manufacturers was doing ballistic gelatin demos at the ATA but I didn't take the time to go check it out.

27-Jun-11
I would love to see a test. I have a good idea which one's would do well and some that would suprise many on this board. I know one thing, it would surely quiet some fan boys around here.

27-Jun-11
It's hard to imagine a more effective design than the VPA Terminator 150. The only improvement I would like to see (and I've mentioned this before), for those of us that like every arrow to be identical, including blade orientation, is to cut the threads before machining the rest of the head (or find a way to accurately start the thread cut in the same place). So every time you screw one into a shaft, it aligns the same as every other one you screw in.

• Sitka Gear