Bigdan 28-Jul-11
Elk Dog 28-Jul-11
Charlie Rehor 28-Jul-11
Elk Dog 28-Jul-11
Reflex 28-Jul-11
Bigdan 28-Jul-11
25-Jul-11
Randy,

Fantastic show on the New Mexico elk hunt. Love the show and I try not to miss an episode.

Again, great job on the show.

Rick

25-Jul-11
How about a little more info for the rest of us. If not you should probaly use the PM function.

25-Jul-11
Dang, I missed this one! Will have to try to catch it Wednesday or Thursday.

KJC, OYOA, next episode is Wednesday night at 11:30 p.m. MDT on the Sportsman's Channel.

25-Jul-11
What show are you talking....?

25-Jul-11
On Your Own Adventures - my favorite show going. Great camera work and informative will not near the advertising that other shows have. It is programming done right!

25-Jul-11
Sorry kjc,

It is the show 'on your own outdoors.'. Really one of the GOOD shows on television. (especially hunting shows) Randy is the host and frequents this site. A lot, if not all the hunting is done on public land. Good to see.

Rick

25-Jul-11
Randy is a good guy , I wish him the best with his venture.. Maybe right the folks telling how you like the program ..

PS Randy is easier on the eyes then Stan Potts .

louis

25-Jul-11
Ears too louis...

25-Jul-11
randy who?

25-Jul-11
The guy who hosts "On Your Own Adventures". Sorry Bou don't know his last name but he is a nice guy and the show is about as real as these things can get.

25-Jul-11
Randy Newberg. That is a terrific show & this one was really a good one. Several close encounters before he dropped the string.

25-Jul-11
Best show on TV

25-Jul-11
Great show, one of my favorites

26-Jul-11
Great Show!!!

26-Jul-11
Randy has a great show and I like the presentation. I like Jason Matzinger's show too. Another thing I appreciate is how they have sponsors but don't walk through the woods using catchy slang and looking like a NASCAR walking billboard.

26-Jul-11
as in TV? cool...I used to watch it some. but I'd rather hunt ;-)

26-Jul-11
Thanks for all the kind comments, guys. Greatly appreciated. I take a lot of stock in what gets posted on Bowsite. You guys are serious hunters and if we are hitting the mark with the Bowsite crowd, we are on the right path.

Hope others get a chance to catch it on the remaining three airings this week.

27-Jul-11
Thx Randy for keeping it real!! I wish I had your luck!! But anytime I'm hunting, well that's the best luck one can ask for!!

27-Jul-11
Great show.... I learn a lot every time I watch it! Good to see them do it the way 99% of the rest of us have to. DIY and public land! Some great country too!

Keep up the good work!

27-Jul-11
Like your show a lot, Randy. I have my DVR set to record all the new episodes.

I gotta say the cold weather hunts you go on can be hard to watch. Seems like you're always under dressed and freezing your cajones off?! :)

A couple pairs of chemical heat packs in your glomitts and boots will keep you much more comfortable. The older I get, the worse the circulation gets in my hands and feet. I don't leave home without them!

Keep 'em comin'. Tim

27-Jul-11
Is there a link to online episodes?

27-Jul-11
Yeah,

You would think a guy from northern MN would know how to dress for cold weather better;)

28-Jul-11
Yeah great show Randy. Funny how some guys complain about TV or TV-hunting yet they are online on Bowsite almost every night instead of hunting... ;)

Just kidding...

Very few of us can hunt year around and other than bowsite and a few other sites like Elk101.com, I watch as much elk behavior (or big game behavior for that matter) on tv when I am not in the woods or with the kids.

I like this season so far Randy - nice job.

On a different note - I have been less than impressed with the new RMEF show called TeamELK. Enough with high dollar...once in a lifetime...hunts. They have certainly become one of those 'celebrity' hunting shows.

Keep up the good work Mr. Newberg. (My wife who is from MN always cheers for those MN hunters!)

Happy Hunting!

Yrovikle

28-Jul-11
Never miss it! Refreshing! Best show out there. You'd think the gear sellers like Cabelas would want to support more DIY shows like this rather than canned guided hunts.

You guys do great, but I don't NEED to see you successful all the time (like I'm not), and you know that...

How bout more bowhunting tho..

-Mike

28-Jul-11
Mike - Hang around and you will see a two episodes where we eat some tag soup this year. Doesn't everyone, sooner or later? Hopefully the near misses and the storylines are compelling enough to make it worth watching.

As far as more archery hunts, Federal Premium Ammo is the title sponsor of our show. They don't sell archery gear, so we keep archery episodes at a number that works for them.

To their credit, Federal realizes that there is a lot of cross over with bow hunters, so they ask us to do 3-4 archery episodes per year. They are an amazing company, supportive of ALL hunting, and funding a lot of conservation organization groups.

As far as your sponsor comment, that makes me laugh, and not just specific to the company you named. When we started selling this project in late 2008, I was pretty much laughed out of the building by all but a few companies.

Many in the industry, and especially their ad agencies, told me that On Your Own hunting, on public land, with regular guys, would be a dud. I was told the OYO hunters don't spend much money, can't afford the gear, are not serious about their hunting, and a host of other falsehoods. They all patted me on the back and politely wished me good luck.

I was thankful for the companies who did see the value of the message and have joined us. They were companies whose products I had used since the begining, so it worked out good for me. I will always be loyal to them, as they were looking for a way to reach the serious On Your Own hunter and jumped on board. They realized that 90% of hunters are self-guided.

The benefit of being turned down by so many sponsors is that I get to use what works, not what I am paid to promote. Lots of stuff in our show is there because it is the best gear I can find, regardless of formal sponsorship.

Sponsors tell us our selectivity of gear gives us more credibility with viewers. If it is junk, you don't have enough money to get me to use it. If it is great, I am probably going to use it, whether you pay me or not. Formal sponsorship determines how much integration/exposure companies get in the show, but is not a requirement for me to use gear, if it is the best gear in that category.

The other sponsorship aspect of our show is no informercials allowed. I was talked into doing one in Season One, and I hated it - never again. I will quit before I secumb to that pressure again. Ad agencies, most of whom don't hunt, love infomercials, but I think serious hunters hate infomercials.

If it is relevant information to help the viewer understand what we did, we might talk about a product. But, very seldom. We lose a lot of potential sponsors when I tell their ad agencies that I am not going to insult our viewers by sitting on a porch talking about a product that we did not use.

Our hunts are pretty challenging, compared to most the other shows. We put heavy demands on our equipment. We have a lot invested in each episode and cannot afford equipment failure. I think the viewers are smart enough to know that the demands placed on equipment during a backpack elk hunt, such as the one mentioned in this thread, are far greater than a hunt at an exclusive lodge or behind a high fence.

When viewers see us using a product on difficult hunts, it probably has a positive impression. Doing product integration in that manner, rather than the NASCAR style informercials, allows us to keep our production quality higher and not insult the viewers intelligence. Or, at least that is my theory, and is the strategy we will continue using.

Only three archery related companies are officially involved in our show - Black Gold, Ripcord, and TightSpot, who are also sponsors here on Bowsite. All the other archery-specific companies and their ad agencies have told us that OYO hunting, specifically western big game, is a non-starter. That is fine with me.

So, I am shooting another new bow this year that I bought with my own money. Gives me more freedom and hopefully more credibility if people see me using it. If it turns out to be junk when we put it to the tests, I toss it in the scrap heap and buy a different one; no obligation or expectation of me to promote something that does work. Works fine with me.

Sorry for the long ramble, but I get asked a lot of questions about our method for chosing products. Your comment of sponsorship made me think of that.

Hope you all get the chance to pack out a big elk this fall. Hard on the body, but good for the mind and soul.

28-Jul-11
Great show Randy. Have they considered compiling all of your shows into a DVD like the Easton Bowhunting videos?

28-Jul-11
Nice explanation Randy. Myself and surely many others have noticed your gear and I too appreciate the "quality" of gear you choose instead of the "made in china" gear represented by so many other shows.

Keep up the quality production.

Rick

28-Jul-11
Do you sell any yearly show DVD's Randy?

Ya know like the 2009 TV hunts DVD---type deal.

Thanks

Good luck, Robb

28-Jul-11
Robb, both season 1 and 2 are available on DVD at: OnYourOwnAdventures.com

28-Jul-11
Nice explanation Randy. Myself and surely many others have noticed your gear and I too appreciate the "quality" of gear you choose instead of the "made in china" gear represented by so many other shows.

Keep up the quality production.

Rick

28-Jul-11
Randy I was watching last night and fell asleep right after the big wounded bull took off. The next thing a saw was a duck falling out of the sky. I do enjoy your show . Keep up the good work.

28-Jul-11
....... Damn.

Sorry........

28-Jul-11
Ok, we need to get your show on earlier!! I can't stay up to 12:30 to watch it....getting old I guess!

28-Jul-11
Reflex - catch the Thursday airing. It is at 8:00pm Nebraska time.

Bigdan - Further proof that our show is a good cure for insomnia :)

28-Jul-11
If consumer companies that sell hunting gear had any sense they would take a tip from Kuiu and other equipment companies and assign a full-time expert or marketing guru to hang-out on Bowsite or other similar forums and see what their customers are really interested in.

As far as "OYO hunters don't spend much money, can't afford the gear, are not serious about their hunting" ... I hear that...I cant tell you how many times I have been out scouting and noticed so many guys wearing last year's gear...come on OYO hunters get with the times and quit wearing and using out-dated gear...geeze!

Happy Hunting!

Yrovikle

28-Jul-11
Just 2 more observations:

1) I bet most "regular guys" would be appalled at what goes on as day-to-day "business" in the hunting industry, such as someone who might have a marketing degree and never stepped into the woods making the decisions they do.

2) I like your show even more knowing your values, and is proof that once in a while, good guys do win.

-Mike

28-Jul-11
Randy, caught the 2 yard bull episode last night. One of your best, IMO. Keep up the great work. Yours is one show I make it a point to watch!

28-Jul-11
Thanks W-Bob!

I best order them....for Elk Camp!

With the job and new baby at home---I have basically 0 time for the TV....

good luck, Robb

28-Jul-11
I'll be catching it tonight Randy. I looked at your website today and saw when all of the episodes aired.

28-Jul-11
Starts in one hour. I just got up from my lap. So I should be good to go. Just finished reading your story in bugle.

28-Jul-11
Will be watching the show in 41 minutes. My son & I met Randy in Grand Junction at the DOW office last year. He was very friendly and I appreciated that he took the time to ask my son about his hunt. May the wind continue to be in Randy's face...............

28-Jul-11
Great Job Randy! I was curious about the aerial shots? Did you have a helocopter take those? Very effective showing you guys moving about.

PS: It is very telling that a bunch of our sponsors are also your sponsors!

28-Jul-11
Great show!

28-Jul-11
Great show Randy! I really enjoyed this episode. Can't wait for the next.

28-Jul-11
Randy I watched the whole thing good job.3 hour nap helped.

• Sitka Gear