lewis 22-Feb-12
turkeyhunter60 24-Feb-12
BuckSlayer 02-Mar-12
Coach Hank 26-Apr-13
EastonFMJ 16-Sep-14
26-Jul-11

BuckSlayer's embedded Photo
Hey guys. Thought I'd share my creation. Put this together in a couple hours. Turned out pretty nice I think. And it didn't cost more than about 10 bucks in materials. I forgot to take the first picture of the panels I used from some old garage doors. I found after stripped of the metal on the outside that this type of foam works great for targets and is the best material I've been able to find for broadheads as well. They come out easily and the nice thing is, after you've shot out the vital area, the foam easily cuts out to be replaced, or you can refill the area with Big Gap filler you can find at any hardware store.

Anyway, this is the foam panels after I had already cut the shape of my target deer. All the panels are glued together using contact cement.

26-Jul-11

This is the front view. I made it 6 layers to stop everything I could shoot at it. Maybe overkill, but I shoot a lot and wear out my targets fast. So I wanted to make him beefy!

26-Jul-11

I then doweled the legs on and used Big gap filler to glue them together. (The stuff sticks like sh&t to a stick, so its an awesome adhesive.

26-Jul-11

While this was all drying, I attached some dowels to a set of antlers I had kicking around that I could use for my target to make him look a bit more authentic.

26-Jul-11

I drilled a few holes on top of his head for the antlers and mounted the head with dowels as well. I used an old mop handle for the dowels as I wanted whatever I put in there to either deflect a stray shot, or at the very least to not shatter my arrow if I hit dead on.

Oh, and I used an electric chain saw to cut the shape from the panels when they were still just big rectangles.

26-Jul-11

After the Big Gap Filler set up, It was time for a trial run.

26-Jul-11

After a few rounds and barely 6 inches of penetration, I knew I was well on my way to a durable 3d target. The rest was just rounding the edges a bit and paint. I used Krylon water based Latex with low odor (in case this thing ever makes it out as a decoy). The finished product is better than I expected. Amazing what trying to save a few dollars makes a guy do! LOL!

26-Jul-11
All told, took a few hours and a couple bucks for some paint cans and I'm shoot'n a cheap 3d target.

26-Jul-11
Does that foam heal at all when you remove your arrow or does it leave a hole the same size as the shaft?

26-Jul-11
Looks good. Nice job

26-Jul-11
The holes partially heal after the arrow is out. I've been using this material for my targets for a few yrs now and can literally shoot hundreds of arrows into them before I need to replace them. This is the first 3d target I've built with it though. I buy these panels from a garage door manufacturer by the pallet load. Cost me around a buck a square yd. And with the metal still on them, they make great insulation for using under concrete slabs for us who live in colder climates.

11-Aug-11
Man that's awesome! I might just have to give that a shot after the seasons over. How bout some pics after shooting some broadheads into it??

11-Aug-11
love it nuff said

11-Aug-11
Great job!

18-Feb-12
Back to the top, hey what would somebody ask for to get the foam that you used to make this taget?? I would really like to make one like this but don't know what to ask for... I can get styrofoam for free from the local door company but it is JUNK, takes like 12 layers to not get a pass through and even then it's just too soft... Any ideas?? Thanks, target looks great btw!

18-Feb-12
excellent work! Very impressive!

18-Feb-12
Awesome!

19-Feb-12
nice job! do you have a supply of garage doors? if not, you can use hot tub covers as well. i live next to a lake resort are, and for some odd reason the bears like to go after hot tub covers. they tear them, but also climb on them and fall thru. then i go pick them up, haul them to the "landfill" for free, and i have new targets!! they work real well and it looks like very similar foam.

19-Feb-12
Very impressive!

19-Feb-12
Very impressive!

19-Feb-12
Awesome!! Prob the same foam that is used in construction partially for insulation. I been shooting my broadheads into it as well. I've just had plate sized pieces and it works super slick.

i got to make me one of those...

20-Feb-12
Thanks guys. "Bucky" has had a heart transplant since I made him last summer. Also made a life size black bear target to keep him company. I'll post some more pics later.

20-Feb-12
Far as the foam goes, I'll contact my supplier and see what they use or what they call it. Lots of guys asking me for this stuff and I don't know what to say. Different than construction grade Blue SM polystyrene though. I tried that once, arrows barely came out and had residue on them when they finally did. This stuff is much lighter , more granular. It's brittle to some extent but does a fantastic job of stopping anything we throw at it. I built a core replacement for it but have repaired it with Great Stuff big gap filler if one area gets hit excessively. Seems to work well once dry, just cut off excess and repaint.

20-Feb-12
ha ha, thats pretty neat. Good job....

20-Feb-12
Excellant job! I have some pieces of 10-12# Effoam (?) that I got from work (shipping material on machines). I have made a 27"x 48"target that I have used for several years. I have been thinking of making a 3-D target for the backyard and your project has inspired me to give it a shot. Thanks for shareing.

20-Feb-12

Here is a few other pics of the "projects".

20-Feb-12

Core replacement

20-Feb-12

Bear before I add the final touches.

20-Feb-12

Buck and Bear hanging out in my shop. No I don't shoot toward my truck. ;)

20-Feb-12

I tried the foam can to to prolong a core replacement. I seems to work well, just cut off the excess and paint after. Either way, the first one lasted all summer and fall. And once I'd cut out a vital core, replacing was a breeze and cost me under a buck! No pun intended. Haha!

20-Feb-12

I also made a cool bow rack for when we shoot. Used a bunch of square tube steel brackets I have kicking around. Took a few hours to put all together, but works awesome. Even has a bottle opener on the back side for those warm summer evenings! Archery is a lifestyle! Might as well have some fun with it.

20-Feb-12

Here's what a normal night of shooting entails. Long winters here, thankfully, I have a 60 ft heated shop to use whenever we feel like hitting the range. Keeps us tuned up in the off season.

20-Feb-12
Thats awesome man!

21-Feb-12
Schweet! Hopefully when you find out what kind of foam is used I can find it somewhere close to try my hand at a 3d target... Thanks for sharing, those are awesome!

22-Feb-12
Pretty cool enjoy Lewis

24-Feb-12
What is the name of the Foam???So we can all get some to make a 3-d target.....

02-Mar-12
Alright guys. Did a little digging for those that keep wanting to know what kind of foam I'm using. Supplier says it's an injected polyurethane foam with a foam density of 2 lbs per cu ft. Now I know this type of foam is readily available in a 2 part mixing kit used for insulating joist cavities or walls. But it's pricey! I also found out that I'm being sold the cut outs from their residential door devision and not garage door panels as I first thought. I couldn't see myself buying the foam kits as I know the price for them would make building my own target that way about as pricey as the factory made ones. So, hope I haven't dashed any hopes of finding this kind of foam.

26-Apr-13
I love this thing! I am going to start building one this weekend. I just started shooting my "new to me" Bear Instinct.

Did you try a saws all to cut?

16-Sep-14
Would you be willing to sell on new deer target for under 50$? Reply ASAP Thanks

• Sitka Gear