THE ELK REAPER 28-Sep-11
Hammer0419 28-Sep-11
THE ELK REAPER 28-Sep-11
TxTrapper 29-Sep-11
Eric Barnett 01-Oct-11
Matt 01-Oct-11
Ermine 02-Oct-11
28-Sep-11
Anyone have any experiance for day hunts with the ability to pack up to 75 lbs out? Ive been using a Badlands 2200 for years. Just looking at new options. Thanks

28-Sep-11
I have the Spike camp, 2004 version.

It is plenty big for day hunts. I broke my leg in 2003 and as a result I tend to bring lots of emergency firstaid and "what ifs" in case I have to spend the night out again.

It will handle 75 pounds with ease. I've used it to pack out several Elk, Deer and Bears over the years without any troubles or failures.

I ordered my pack with the pack board that flips down to make a nice shelf for holding meat or extra gear. I also added three of their small bags for the belt and a long side bag. Other wise you have no where to keep small things that are easy to get your hands on quickly.

I used it twice this season for packing in our camp. One four day trip, I started with a 52# pack. and the second trip was three days with a 35# pack.

If I were ordering another Kifaru pack I would get the next size bigger. There is not alot of room in the spike camp bag. But I think the newer design is better. My bag is tapered at the top more drastically than the new ones.

28-Sep-11
The late season is designed with the wrap tech suspension which should carry more weight more comfortably than the spike camp with omni tech suspension. The spike camp itself will handle as much weight as you can throw at it, but the late season should do the same but with more capacity and more comfort. The late season has a bit longer stays which should translate into more shoulder lift and comfort with heavier loads. A spike camp is a day pack that can haul weight if needed but a different pack is probably better for pure hauling purposes. I think the late season would work a bit better as a do it all day pack and load hauler.

I'm about to pull the trigger on new Kifaru pack and am considering the late season, KU 3700, and MMR Frame with attachments. Just can't decide which!

Good luck deciding. I don't think you will be dissappointed with either.

Nick

28-Sep-11
Thanks guys!

28-Sep-11
I have had my spike camp for 4 years now and no complaints..... Terry

28-Sep-11
I would go with the Late Season. I have a Pointman, the military version of that pack, and it works great for me up to 40-45 lbs at which point I lose shoulder lift (I'm 6'3"). The pack itself will carry more than you can.

Several on the Kifaru forum are in the process of trying to convince Patrick to make a smaller version of the new Timberline pack, and if that happens then I'd recommend that pack instead of either that you're looking at.

28-Sep-11
Late Season

I've got a Spike Camp and love it. It's carried some heavy loads especially with the Cargo Chair but for day to day hunting especially in northern/colder states the Late Season will carry more clothes and gear as a daypack.

28-Sep-11

THE ELK REAPER's embedded Photo
I've been using a Timberline for all of my backpack hunts, but for day hunts I've been testing out a few new additions to the Kifaru Line.

This is a Kifaru Duplex Frame with Cargo Panel. This will work great as a daypack for taller guys or anyone that needs the ability to keep everything separated in different pockets, but also pack 80-120 lbs.

28-Sep-11

28-Sep-11

This is a photo of the Cargo Panel with a few different pockets attached for organization. When you need to pack out meat, you can attach these pockets to the back side of the Cargo Panel and compress the meat between the Duplex Frame (see mtn goat and moose photo) and the panel.

28-Sep-11

28-Sep-11

28-Sep-11

28-Sep-11
Of the 2 packs. Definately the Late Season. Can fit more, carry more, and still compress very compact.

28-Sep-11
I agree with Hammer....The Late Season is the best options between the two packs. The weight difference is minimal and the Late Season os more versatile.

Feel free to shoot me an email with any questions on the packs.

[email protected]

29-Sep-11
Aron as usual has given good advise. I have all three and I always load up the longhunter hauler and use it. It will do it all.

01-Oct-11
Wow thanks for the info guys. I do very little overnight trips but like the ability to haul out a good load on the 1st trip back to camp.

I'm only about 5'6" so I have a short torso & no hips to speak of. Does that change anything or is there a specifc pack I should lean torwards?

Elk Reaper- I watched your packing video and you recommend getting the weight up and against your back. Does this apply for my build as well?

01-Oct-11
Eric, I would concur with the LS being the better option.

In terms of the "no butt" aspect, it shouldn't affect which pack you buy, but you should think about either getting stays that are shaped for that (Kifaru has differently shaped stays for the buttless) or bending the stays to fit your back (very easy to do - just make sure you trace the stock shape onto a piece of card board or similar before you start bending so you can get back to stock if need be).

02-Oct-11
I would go Late Season between those two!

• Sitka Gear