rchunter 01-Nov-11
habu john 01-Nov-11
JJJ 01-Nov-11
Elkhuntr 01-Nov-11
ridgerunnerron 11-Nov-11
11-Oct-11

gunslinger's embedded Photo
Fellas i just harvested a great shiras bull moose 3 days ago, it was one of the best grunting matches i have ever had with a bull, i have guided alot of bulls and this bull took me 45 minutes of grunting and sweet old cow calling to get him to move into postion, it was a clean one shot with my bow and im extremely proud of this archery shiras moose. This is the 28th animal of the NA 29

11-Oct-11

elkmtngear's Link
Great Bull, Nice work!

Best of Luck, Jeff

11-Oct-11
wow- very cool!

11-Oct-11
Nice, I know we are supposed to keep all the units we hunt in a SECRET and we should never reveal a county but would Florida Mike be totally out of line to ask what country you killed the fine Shiras Moose in and if I'm not totally crazy could you at least tell us what state?

If I'm out of line just respectfully decline and I'll understand. Mike

11-Oct-11
Congrats!

11-Oct-11
Congratulations.

11-Oct-11
Congrats - AWESOME BULL!

11-Oct-11
Right on... Congrats. Ed f

11-Oct-11
Wow, that's a huge Shiras. Congrats!

11-Oct-11
Awesome!

11-Oct-11
Congrats on reaching # 28 and on a great looking bull.

Good luck, Robb

11-Oct-11
Very nice!!

11-Oct-11
Wow, very nice...Where'd he come from? Congrats!

11-Oct-11
I shot him in unit 4-21 out of southern british columbia south of cranbrook with jim schmidt of pilgrams outfitting ,

There is never any secrets with me so feel free to ask anything, This was a really tough hunt becasue of the huge bush but with the logging roads and stuff down there the moose utilize these to find cows, i actually caught this guy out in a cutblock 3 days ago and blew 3 stocks on him.

Thanks for the kind remarks fellas and best of lcuk to everyone this fall.

11-Oct-11
Awesome job Pat. Great animal.

11-Oct-11
great job. now go get the last deer you need and call it a slam.

11-Oct-11
Fantastic Pat! Congrat's on a fine Bull.

11-Oct-11
Very nice gunslinger. My blood is pumping! My moose hunt starts Nov.1st. He looks to be about 40"?

Again congrats!

11-Oct-11
Very nice gunslinger. My blood is pumping! My moose hunt starts Nov.1st. He looks to be about 40"?

Again congrats!

11-Oct-11
Congratulations on a great bull.

14-Oct-11
yea eric he was 43 inches wide

14-Oct-11
Congrats on a great bull and #28!

14-Oct-11
Great job! One more left!

14-Oct-11
Congrats #28 what an achievement most only dream of...

14-Oct-11
Awesome - What species is number 29?

14-Oct-11
Wow that is a big bull Pat, congratulations! You will need to show us some of your pictures when we see you at bear camp in May. habu john

14-Oct-11
Congras PAT nice moose whats last on your list

14-Oct-11
Congrats on a great trophy- Stay focused on your goal.

15-Oct-11
Thanks a million guys, i leave on the 10th of november for the sitka island blacktail deer and that will finish the super slam for me,

15-Oct-11
Awesome bull!! Good luck on your next. hunt. A great accomplishment for sure!

15-Oct-11
very nice gunslinger!! beautiful Shiras bull

good luck with your slam. congrats on the accomplishment

16-Oct-11
Have you figured up how much $ you spent this year alone?

Or your Superslam?

16-Oct-11
Are you bowhunting for the sitka's? habu john

16-Oct-11
This year i have spent 40000$ on trying to accomplish this quest 6000$ mountain caribou- 17000$ tule elk--- 1000$ bighorn sheep in alberta here----quebec caribou---8000$ and then the shiras was 6000$ and of course all the extras.

and in total with the super slam i have invested 230000$ in total ,

pretty small penny to pay for something a person loves to do, i guess if you look at it from when i started it is 10000$ a year to complete it at my age of 36, i shot my first whitetail at 14.

John i will be trying to complete the slam with my bow yes,

16-Oct-11
There are no Shiras Moose in BC.

16-Oct-11
"There are no Shiras Moose in BC."

I am going to take 5 minutes out of my evening to be embarrased for you.

17-Oct-11
Wow, that's a stud! Big time congrats!

17-Oct-11
Congrats on the moose!!! One animal away from the NA 29 and you are only 36 years old?! WOW.........you are one lucky guy! Congrats again.

OFFHNTN

18-Oct-11
Canada, Alaska-Yukon, and SHIRAS' Moose The boundaries for the three classes of moose have remained essentially unchanged since the beginning of the records keeping. But, hunting opportunities for moose have increased in recent years so that moose are now hunted in the Mackenzie Mountains of Northwest Territories, northern Utah, northeastern Washington, northern Minnesota, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont.

The Alaska-Yukon moose category includes moose from Alaska, Yukon Territory and Northwest Territories. The Canada moose category includes moose from all of the remaining provinces of Canada, plus Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, North Dakota and Vermont.

The Shiras’ moose category has the Canadian border as its northern boundary. Its range includes all of the Rocky Mountain region south of Canada and west to the Pacific Ocean, including the following states: Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

18-Oct-11
however, this is from a Canada outfitter: TSYLOS, Shiras Moose Hunts - Join us on a hunt for one of the largest big game trophies in Canada. The Shiras Moose in our area stand at over 6 feet at the shoulder with an average spread of 40 inches. This is a trophy not to be missed.

18-Oct-11
The moose sub-species found in ther extreme SE British Columbia and SW Alberta is shiras. Some record keeping organizations have arbitrarily set the boundary as the U.S./Canada border and do not recognize shiras taken in Canada. Some people misinterpret that to mean that there are no shiras moose in Canada. There is actually some verbiage on the B&C web site that referenced the fact that the arbitrariety of boundaries can result in deserving specimens being left out.

18-Oct-11
So it's a 'lower' Canadian moose species eh? ;-)

19-Oct-11

exactly goes for the mountain caribou, north of the stewart river as far as boone and crocket says, But we all know they are mountain caribou when we guide or hunt them.

The only two organizations that document or track the north american 29 consider them as shiras moose and that being SCI and Grandslam/ovis.

Anyway it was a great rush to harvest this great bull with archery equipment so i thought i would post it up to show you boys.

I took half a backstrap and wrapped it in bacon strips and cooked it over the open fire for everyone in camp, and it melted in our mouths, i had the great honor of sharing a camp with a old timer by the name of charlie ormond and he told hunting stories all night long. What a great hunt and camp.

19-Oct-11
So the Elk I shot in Nye County Nevada I could say he's a Tule. It was only 80 miles from the Ca border.Call it what you want. But its a Canada Moose.

19-Oct-11
I see they sell hunts in southern BC for Shiras Moose. If he said he killed a Shiras in BC then he did. Who cares what any record keeping club says. Congrats to you gunslinger. JJ

19-Oct-11
"So the Elk I shot in Nye County Nevada I could say he's a Tule. It was only 80 miles from the Ca border.Call it what you want. But its a Canada Moose."

I will show you numerous citations indicating that shiras mose live in SE BC and SW Alberta.

Show me a single citation that shows that the range of tule elk includes Nye County, NV and I will change my opinion of your intellect.

19-Oct-11

Matt's Link

19-Oct-11

Matt's Link
"Shiras moose are found in western Wyoming, western Montana, northern and central Idaho, southwestern Alberta, southeastern British Columbia, and in isolated areas of Utah, Colorado, and extreme northwestern Washington"

19-Oct-11

Matt's Link
"The presence of Shiras’ Moose in British Columbia represents the northern limit of this subspecies’ range in North America."

19-Oct-11

Matt's Link
"Shiras moose range from mountainous areas of southern British Columbia and eastern Alberta; south to northeastern Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah"

20-Oct-11
Pat- Congrats again on your great bowkill.

Thanks for your answer on this years hunt costs and the Super Slam costs. Not a huge amount for the Super Slam in my opinion. Sure helps being a Canadian. A lot of guys have spent a lot more.

Personally I have been somewhat fortunate and have not spent a $ fortune doing it. I have 25 of the Super Slam and 28 of NA 29 with the big money ones left and not big money to pursue 'em. Gotta love that $1,000 Rocky! Best of luck and fun on the Sitka blacktail.

20-Oct-11

Ridgerunner did you get the latest email from superslam there, they invented teh super 25 for this exact reason. The desert sheep hunt, the tule elk hunt, the huge decline in woodland caribou , the quebec caribou. For the guys that are not going to get to hunt these big dollar hunts they have the super 25 to look froward too, a great idea if you ask me, they are going to start honoring these people for this quest in 2013.

Matt there will always be a few guys that will refuse to congratualte me on what i have done adn argue against what is being done,Its almost like they are hoping i dont complete it or something.Saying thats not a shiras moose is simply not doing research or a lack of knowledge, so thats fine.

This is a huge deal to complete the NA 29 at my age and be the youngest to ever document it, and alot of research for the right outfitters and the right areas, teh flights, the broadheads , the weapons everything has to come together. If they want to argue about a specie or animal after all the time that has been invested into the person hunting it its just becasue they dont know, i refuse to bite.

This was one of my best ever hunts and bow harvest, it was very challenging adn took alot of battling to get the bull to commit, i am super excited to tell you guys about it still and show the pictures.

20-Oct-11

jerseyjohn's embedded Photo
jerseyjohn's embedded Photo
Here is my Wyoming Shiras, a gun kill from last week. I am still pumped as you are gunslinger! Congrats again on your accomplishment in the hunting world! JJ

20-Oct-11
Wicked bull and a huge congrats to you, Man i love the red horns on these shiras bulls, if you dont mind me asking how long did it take you to draw or what outfitter did you use if you did.

20-Oct-11
Congrats on a great moose and best of luck with the sitka blacktail . I will be on Kodiak the same time as you. I will try to push a deer your way !!

20-Oct-11
I am envious of your accomplishments Pat. I congratulate you on the achievements. Someday I hope to fullfil the quest of a superslam also. Some people choose not to hunt the shiras in Canada as the Pope and Young does not recognize it if it is harvested there, to my knowledge. I am unsure about SCI. I know GSCO recognizes it. Good luck in Alaska!!

20-Oct-11
Good luck on the sitkas. They are probably the easiest animal to hunt in NA, so unless you are totally stymied by the weather (or a bear), you should complete your slam shortly.

20-Oct-11
Great job on an amazing Bull! Best of luck to you on your upcoming sitka hunt as well, cant wait to see the pics of your success.

If you wouldnt mind, what would you say, from your experiences, were the easiest and hardest of the animals that you hunted in terms of both the terrain/getting to the animals and their behavior? I would love to hear any thoughts or observations of things you might have done differently when looking back at all your hunts.

Once again, congrats and best of luck completing your super slam!

Rob

20-Oct-11
If both B&C and P&Y say there not thats good enough for me. You can buy a Shiras Moose on the Blackfoot reservation in Montana. Good luck on your Sitka Blacktail Hunt.

20-Oct-11

Matt's Link
"If both B&C and P&Y say there not thats good enough for me."

Except that B&C doesn't say that, and in fact contradicts your assertion. This is what B&C (and presumably P&Y since it coopted the B&C system) *actually* says:

"The following material will review the categories or which there are geographically defined boundaries. Obviously these boundaries must be observed in the taking of a trophy in order for it to be considered for that category. As a general rule, the categories are set so there is virtually no chance of a larger category specimen (or a cross-bred animal) being taken within the boundary for the smaller category. While this may exclude some deserving specimens of the smaller category that are resident in the larger category’s range, it is a price that must be paid to keep the smaller categories pure."

20-Oct-11
Oh by far the hardest animal for me to harvest was the bighorn sheep, The nasty terrain and resident pressure, the huge walking and hiking distances , it took me 7 hunts to finally connect on the bighorn.Thank goodness it was in my home province.

The stone sheep is where i really learnt the meaning of never turn down a good animal on the 1st day that you would shoot on teh last, as was with my stone sheep, i turned a ram down on day 3 becasue i was seeing lots of sheep, never seen a sheep till the 11th day and there the ram was i turned down standing a 1000 yards away with one day left in my hunt, the outfitter says no we will come back tomorrow, we come around the corner the next day and there he was 50 yards from wehre i seen him, sat on him for 45 minutes till he stood up and missed him at 90 yards cleanly, oh my god 5 rams start running up the mountain and i free handed him at 150 yards , it was unbeleivable.

The brown bear was above adn beyond tough, i turned down a little bear on the 4th day, about a 6 footer , then came my worst nightmare, rain in alaska, kenei peninsula, it poured so hard for the next 7 days i couldnt even leave the tent, i shed a tear with my brother about a 25000$ hunt and never got to leave the tent, that next morning we packed out a cooler and a propane bottle when all of a sudden the guide says big bear , big bear, i took off running adn the outfitter held the plane up for 5 hours till i harvested that big old brown bear. It was teh lowest to the highest point in my hunting experiences. The pilot was actully climbing the stairs when the secretary stopped him and told him to wait till the outfitter called back. That was awsome.

A couplt of the easiest hunts of course would be whitetail or bear, but as far as non province animals i would say that the migration barren ground caribou.

20-Oct-11
The Shiras’ moose category has the Canadian border as its northern boundary. Its range includes all of the Rocky Mountain region south of Canada and west to the Pacific Ocean, including the following states: Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.Not true Matt this is from B&C web site

21-Oct-11
Intellectual fail for not being able to reconcile that, as descirbed on the B&C web site, a sub-species can exist in an area where it is not recognized for record keeping purposes.

I give you high marks for your consistency though.

21-Oct-11
Very nice, congrats on a awesome bull. Bob

22-Oct-11
gunslinger- Yes I did get the latest Super 25 info,Thanks. A nice idea.

FYI- One of the bighorns would qualify me for the SCI NA 29. And I'm lacking both bighorns, tule, and the great white bear for the Super Slam. Along the way I also took a desert mulie, Arctic Islands caribou, lynx, some exotics, etc. Hoping for a wolf and maybe a wolverine soon.

I wish the few remaining animals on my list I could get with Blackstone!

22-Oct-11
jerseyjohn- Congrats on your really nice bull!

22-Oct-11
Oh man i would love to hunt one of them artic island caribou, and im forsurely going to hunt the desert mulies in mexico one day. Congrats on the experiences ridge

25-Oct-11
thx ridgerunner, and randy! JJ

31-Oct-11
Matt

You raise a good point with the boundary interpretation. I think you have a good understanding of the boundary issue with your mule deer and blacktails.

I think one of the misunderstandings people have is the understanding of your weapon of choice. The usual thinking is if you are a bowhunter that you would follow Pope and Young rules. I have several Shiras by SCI but not by Boone and Crooket.

What people missed out is that Gunslingers handle is not Bowslinger. So congratulations to him on taking a nice Shiras.

31-Oct-11
Nice ????? moose. The awards folks will probably decide what kind of mooose it is. I hope you are doing it for the experience of hunting all those critters and not to say you did it faster than everyone.

Afterall time and money are what stops or at least slows down most guys from getting the NA 29.

That's a great moose. Enjoy it and keep bagging those memories. Have a good hunt on the blacktail.

31-Oct-11

31-Oct-11
When you almost lose your business partner to a bad car accident you soon realize that today could be your last day, i live life to the fullest and go on any adventure i can get my hands on time permitting. Hunting is my passion and i will fullfill it to the fullest while im healthy to do so. After the 29 i will begin on the world slam, after that i will begin on the ovis slam. Until i can be in the same league and some of the best hunters in the world. That to me is passion for the sport.

31-Oct-11
Congrats on a great bull! I've spent some time in both Southern BC and Northern WA/ Northern ID; and had a difficult knowing which country i'm in. Moose don't have passports.

c

01-Nov-11
Pat, congrats again on your hunts and best of luck on the blacktail hunt, im sure you will get it done. What is the world slam? I think the ovis slam is sheep around the world, is this correct? Best of luck on them as well.

01-Nov-11
wow thats all I have to say wow

01-Nov-11
Pat the anticipation to come see you in the spring is really growning. As I sit in my tree stand waiting on a rutting whitetail I keep dreaming about a big ole B/C coming into the bait. I did take a small 250 pound bear here in Michigan in September and a small buck last week, all with the longbow. Best of luck on the Sitka. habu john

01-Nov-11
Congratulations.....but you lost me with your last post.

01-Nov-11
congrats on the wealth you achieved, very impressive as are the kills. enjoy them all, and thanks for sharing.

11-Nov-11
Keep at it Pat! Doesn't matter to me if you're a gunslinger or a bowslinger!

• Sitka Gear