jeck66 25-Aug-16
MNRazorhead 25-Aug-16
Florida Mike 25-Aug-16
Ben 25-Aug-16
stealthycat 26-Aug-16
Bugle 27-Aug-16
Bob 27-Aug-16
19-Oct-11
Just killed a wounded antelope in Wyoming. It had a broken leg or I would have passed on it but to my surprise the "buck" I shot turned out to be a doe with 12 & 2/8" horns. I have hunted pronghorn for years and have never heard of such although I do know does having fairly short horns are common. Anyone heard of anything like this? Does anyone know of any authorities on this sort of thing?

19-Oct-11
Holy cow! Got any pics? I assume it doesn't have any of the other features of a buck like the black cheek patches or black face?

19-Oct-11
Yes, I will post a couple of pics. It will be later today though. She did not have dark cheek patches common to a buck antelope. She was every bit as big and her neck was not skinny like a doe. She had totally female organs and I do have a video to document it. Strange deal. I take it that since no one else has replied, that I obviously have killed a world record! Ha! And I was just trying to be humane! Good deeds are rewarded.

19-Oct-11
Crazy

19-Oct-11
Can't wait for the photos.

19-Oct-11
Kudos on both accounts. Can't wait to see the photo's. So I am assuming you had a buck tag and extra doe tags? Or not? I'd hate it if I punched my either sex tag and had a doe tag in my pocket for this one...hee hee. Just thinking out loud.

19-Oct-11
Years ago I worked on a ranch near Baggs, WY and we killed a doe with 12"+ horns. No pics and I'm sure the horns got tossed on a pile behind a shed somewhere so we won't be contesting your claim :^)

19-Oct-11
It sure seems to me that recently I see far fewer does with horns, or very small horns than I used to. Back in the early 70's when I first started hunting pronghorns with my bow, it seemed I saw quite a few does with horn just under their ears. It seems nowadays that most have very short (1'-2'horns), if any at all.

I am not too surprised that a few does could have horns the size of yours, but having the black cheek patch seems very strange to me. But I know in nature strange things happen.

Here's a photo of two small pronghorn fawns. Even at a very early age, its usually pretty easy to identify them, by their cheek patch. Notice even at this early age you can easily tell they are bucks.

The 2nd photo is of a doe and the way they most often look, as far as the absence of the cheek patch goes. The third photo is a rather young buck, but with a well developed cheek patch.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It will be interesting to see your photos.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

20-Oct-11
BB, he did not say that it had the black cheek patch. He said it didn't have one, which makes sense. I saw one in New Mexico a few years ago, that likely had horns longer than her ears, with small prongs. The horns were bent forward and followed her nose, so it was tough to tell if they would have been much longer than her ears had they gone upward instead of forward. Those were the longest I've seen.

21-Oct-11
So, where's the picture?

27-Oct-11
still no pic????????????????????????????

27-Oct-11
Agreed.

Photos needed.

28-Oct-11
Sorry for misreading his original post------my bad. I too would still like to see the photo/photos you said you would post.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

24-Aug-16

SmithKO's embedded Photo
SmithKO's embedded Photo
For those of you that have been patiently awaiting the "photo", well your patience is finally rewarded. Sorry about the delay. I was captured by a tribe of bushmen and held captive while hunting in Namibia. Not really, but it sounds pretty good, don't ya think?

24-Aug-16
Wow five years later !

24-Aug-16
The reason this pic shows up five years later is because it is now socially acceptable to " the powers that be " to identify as the alternate sex. Had he shot her a day or two earlier, or later, she might've had balls as big as grapefruit !

Ah, it's a wonderful world we live in ! :)

25-Aug-16
Now that is funny drycreek! I had not even thought of that then, nor would I. Today, it might have been my first thought. Ironically, my video of one of my hunting buddies discovering that "it" was a "she" includes a comment that "it/she" was a "trantelope"!!!!!

25-Aug-16
Do you have undercarriage pics to go along with this?

haha... I can't believe I had to ask that!

25-Aug-16
I'm going out on a limb and guess that that girl had a bit of a hormone imbalance. Look at that neck! It looks like she does have a bit of a check patch??

25-Aug-16
This has to be the longest wait ever for pics! New world record! Mike

25-Aug-16
Drycreek, that is hillaryarious!

26-Aug-16
undercarriage pictures coming in 2021

27-Aug-16
Not only do we get to look forward to a Kanye West presidency in 2020, we'll also get to see the under-carriage photos from SmithKO. We have a lot to look forward to in a few year :) LOL

Thanks for sharing the story / pic SmithKO, kinda a neat thing. Good luck this fall.

27-Aug-16
And my wife thinks I'am slow to get things done ! Ha !

• Sitka Gear