canepole 16-Jan-12
26-Nov-11

grizzlyadam's embedded Photo

26-Nov-11

26-Nov-11
that looks safe, quick easy and not to expensive. ugg.

26-Nov-11
Sure am, actually hunted from some back in the day. Now they are just barely hanging on. There's one in Co that I found especially interesting. It was in 4 Aspen trees that had grown fairly close together. It was 30' up and constructed of roughly 3" diameter limbs/logs about 6' long and it was all lashed together with rope. First, 2 logs were tied across 2 trees each then the rest set side by side on top to form a platform. All those were then tied down to the crossmembers. Another one I'm quite fond of was in an old oak tree in southern Illinois. That tree is about 6' in diameter so I have no idea how old it is. At some point in time someone drove RR spikes into it to create steps up to a large limb, about 2' in diameter There was a 2x4 bolted into the bottom of the limb. One would climb up the spikes out onto the the limb them straddle it like a horse using the 2x4 to set your feet on for balance. Just lean back into the main trunk and it was quite comfortable. I took my first shot ever at a deer from that tree 23 years ago in 1988. I missed. I was in that same area a few weeks ago and paid that old friend a visit. The tree is dead now but still standing, all the bark has fallen off. The spikes are still fast in the meat of the tree. I tried to pull one out as a momento of a hunt long past, but the tree wouldn't yield. The old limb is still hanging in there, the bolt rusted in place, the balance board long gone. Just a matter of time now. I'll be back there in a few weeks for muzzleloader season, I'll get some pics of some of the old wooden stands.

26-Nov-11
I can remember all the work involved putting those stands in the woods. From hauling the lumber and tools to realizing you put all that work in the wrong spot, lol! Seriously though, there is a lot of history in those old stands. Good luck with the book.

26-Nov-11

Prairie Dog 's embedded Photo
Prairie Dog 's embedded Photo
I just took this pic of my old stand the other day. Before long this tree will go down the creek, I can't remember how long ago I used it.

Over the years I have found several of mine pushed up in brush piles or in trees that have died and fallen down. I think it is fun to look at them and see if there was a good reason for putting them there.

26-Nov-11
Lots of'em in the cottonwoods along the South Platte River. Death traps for sure. But you'll find the deer pretty much still use the trails where they were set.

26-Nov-11

Wages's embedded Photo
Wages's embedded Photo
Here's one that I took several years ago, but now I can't remember why. I never thought about it before, but they are rather interesting.

I think it would make an interesting coffee table book. I always wanted to do one about all of the interesting gates and gate latches I used to encounter. I used to see a lot of "custom" latches made from all kinds of things that were welded up, wired togther, etc. Although it seems most of those have been replaced, so it might be hard to do these days.

26-Nov-11
I love when I find these old stands on a new piece of property. Like trkytrack said the deer still use these trails after all those years.

26-Nov-11

bowhuntingfever's embedded Photo
bowhuntingfever's embedded Photo
Here is one that's straight across from one of my stands in a grove of old oak trees on the river. It was a good spot then and it's a good spot now. I find them interesting also.

26-Nov-11
It seemed like a good idea "in the day". I mean, what could be stronger than 2x4"s nailed to a tree ? Need it stronger, add a few more nails. What could fail ? Some of us were really lucky.

26-Nov-11
Never built one, but have hunted from a few in years gone by. Stands were probably safer than the 2x4's nailed to the tree for steps. Guaranteed sooner or later those nails were going to rust out and fail eee haa!!!

Suppose any of them ever heard of "Staying connected?"

26-Nov-11
I bet they didnt have a triple nylon harness vest with parachute leg straps back then.

27-Nov-11

David Alford's embedded Photo
David Alford's embedded Photo
Imagine the forward ride down...one and a half seconds to a broken neck.

02-Dec-11

Bow Crazy's embedded Photo
Bow Crazy's embedded Photo
Here is one my best friend built with his brother. No cost to them, they used what they could find or cut down from the woods. BC

02-Dec-11
i need to start taking pics of all the stands i find in the woods. some of them are massive

02-Dec-11
Full Freaking Draw It is funny the first thought that came to mind when I saw the title for your tread was death trap. And you used it in the first sentence.

03-Dec-11
Weird, I posted a nice picture of a wooden stand a few days ago...(I saw it posted on here) Now it is gone? Where did it go?

03-Dec-11
virus wiped out two days of post.

03-Dec-11

Bowme2's embedded Photo
Bowme2's embedded Photo
Here's mine I posted a couple days back.... 30ft plus! Imagine getting in that sucker!?

03-Dec-11

DLBurns's embedded Photo
DLBurns's embedded Photo
Here is an older one that is on the property we elk hunt in Colorado.

03-Dec-11

KD's embedded Photo
KD's embedded Photo
Thanks R man, I'll try again.

03-Dec-11
KD, I agree with you. I also posted and it's gone. Looks like a few days worth got deleted on the list.

03-Dec-11

pirogue's embedded Photo
pirogue's embedded Photo
I'm posting this one again. There is two much dimensional lumber in those pics above.

05-Dec-11
Love those old wooden stands. Can't let this one die.

06-Dec-11
Great Idea for a coffee table book! I wish I would have taken pictures of the old treestands I have seen. Great Idea!!

06-Dec-11
Great idea and like the pics! Someone once told me that when you find an old treestand you should really think about hanging a stand nearby as most were there for a good reason and it has held true in many instances for me as I can see an old school stand from at least two of my locations. Good post!

06-Dec-11

Cove-Creek's embedded Photo
Cove-Creek's embedded Photo
Here is a picture of one that I walk by several times a year going into some spots that I hunt. Ive hunted this place for 20 years...and it was old and falling down then, more of the stand is on the ground than in the tree now. Railroad spikes driven into the tree for steps.

This thread made me slow down long enough to snap a picture on the way in Saturday afternoon.

06-Dec-11
Holy crap Bowme2, now that's a crows nest. I'd be scared to move in that stand.

Seeing these pictures brings back found memories of hunting in the 70's. I grew up on the east coast and all of our stands were hand made. My dad always put rails around them so I wouldn't fall out. I would never sit a stand today without my safety harness. My how things have changed.

06-Dec-11
Really cool thread. All these stands tell a story. I gotta bring my camera this weekend we got some on our farm too. Interestingly eough we put stands near almost all of them. Same strategies right place at the right time.

06-Dec-11
I remember building a few, the best part was that they were never very close to being level when you got done with them. The most fun was trying to get in them to hunt, the boards were nailed to the tree in all different directions as you climbed(you had to half contortionist just to get in some of them)......then throw some snow on them for late season and you really had some fun.

06-Dec-11
Full: It's interesting you have brought this up because I was thinking of doing a picture book of ole stands! When I am on new ground and find one of these they are almost always in a great place. Even if the topography has changed in to 30,40 or 50 years these "spots" are usually still darn good! I'll see if I can find a few to post!

06-Dec-11

TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
Im personally glad I no longer hunt out of them, but tons of memories.

I remember hearing, " there a reason that stand is there".

I'm sure there was! If they could only talk.

06-Dec-11
Looking at these stands brings back so many great memories of my early years hunting. I have been hunting at the same place in NY, tagging along with my father and the other guys since I was 7. Back in 1980 my father and a buddy started building these stands and all the old timers thought they were crazy "climbing up a tree to shoot a deer...yuk, yuk, yuk"....imagine that... But looking back now I realize those were great hunts and even greater times. I miss these old wooden stands, as I do the red and black checkered woolrich pants and shirts, Elmer Fudd hats, old jeeps, and those beautiful old wooden rifle stocks. One old timer used to tell me to enjoy it...it won't last forever. He was right. I'm 40 now...of the 20+ guys who hunted this camp only 3 are left. Sad is the passage of time

07-Dec-11
My dad and I still hunt out of stands like this! He thinks all that "store bought crap" is the real danger.

07-Dec-11
Kakiat Kid,

You post replays engrained memories I have of old timers in eastern Iowa. Back then there were few deer in Iowa, the old boys were arrowing good bucks from rickety old scrap lumber stands; no hero shots, video and game cameras not even a thought. The old stands and old timers are dust now. I think of them often sitting in my store bought ladder stand above the limestone bluffs and oak timbers on our farm.

07-Dec-11
Cool pics.

I bought a 365 acre piece of property 7 years ago. It had several old wooden ladder stands,a couple of old tree platforms, and 4 old fallen-in box blinds on it.

I have tried many stand locations and now think I have a pretty good handle on the best spots.

Guess what? All but a couple of my sets are within sight of one of those old relics. My work was done for me long ago but I just didn't realize it.

07-Dec-11
Shot my first deer out of a wooden stand I hammered into a tree. I wonder if it is still there. That was 25 years ago!

07-Dec-11
I forgot to mention how slippery they were after a rain or snow too. All good times!!

07-Dec-11

jfish's embedded Photo
jfish's embedded Photo

08-Dec-11

GhostBird's embedded Photo
GhostBird's embedded Photo

08-Dec-11
Very cool post,Reminds me of the early baker climbers that left you bruised with funny after the fact memories

08-Dec-11
Very cool post,Reminds me of the early baker climbers that left you bruised with funny after the fact memories

08-Dec-11
I believe the picture is in "Bows on the Little Delta" where it shows them fellows on a huge tree stand, I believe it was the size of a sheet of plywood

13-Dec-11

BowSniper's embedded Photo
BowSniper's embedded Photo
Old meets new... wooden stand with what appears to be a plastic desk chair?

20-Dec-11

Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
Not wood, but when I first read this thread weeks ago, I thought to myself - gotta get a pick of the plastic stand.

There used to be screw in steps still - like 5-6 years ago, now they are gone and the wounds in the tree healed. Cant help but wonder if anyone ever uses this stand... It's in a neat spot surrounded by old apple trees and multiflora rose bushes.

Have to appologize though, it's a cell phone pic.

Will

26-Dec-11

Scotty's embedded Photo
Scotty's embedded Photo
Here are a few oldies, or what's left of them, from where I hunt.

26-Dec-11

Scotty's embedded Photo
Scotty's embedded Photo

26-Dec-11

Scotty's embedded Photo
Scotty's embedded Photo

26-Dec-11

Scotty's embedded Photo
Scotty's embedded Photo

26-Dec-11

Scotty's embedded Photo
Scotty's embedded Photo

26-Dec-11

Scotty's embedded Photo
Scotty's embedded Photo

26-Dec-11

Scotty's embedded Photo
Scotty's embedded Photo
This last one isn't an old wooden one but it is homade so I thought that I would include it. I welded this one together myself back in 99' and it has been in this tree since 06'!

26-Dec-11
Cool thread, thanks.

I sometimes wonder the same things when I come across an old homestead that's about been reclaimed by Mother Nature.

When was it built?

By whom?

What were their best days here?

What were their worst days here?

27-Dec-11
I actually have thought of the book too...about homesteads and stands I always take pictures of both. The other thing I always wonder about is how places get their name. Like a common public land "spot" known as something not the name of the actual parcel of land but a spot on that land that seems to be universally known.

27-Dec-11
You know what would be a good prank to play on someone. Get a fake skull from the store and partially burry it at the base of one of those stands. Prefferably one that is still being used but hasn't been actively used for a few seasons.

27-Dec-11

Earl E. Nove....mber's embedded Photo
This one sets in one heck of a spot, just tough to get a good wind for it.

27-Dec-11

How about an old car for your book?

28-Dec-11

Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
Here's one. I took my lunch break today to walk an area I've been exploring and hunting a bit the last couple years. I wanted to try the west end of a ridge, looked like a good saddle. It was, and while looking things over, this old stand was looking back at me, and overlooking a few runs converging.

30-Dec-11

jimbow's embedded Photo
jimbow's embedded Photo
Notice the fresh tow rope, I wouldn't get in that thing if I was casper the Ghost.

30-Dec-11

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo
I thought abouy this thread when I was out this morning. This was an old wooden chain stand that the weather and tree has claimed over time.

30-Dec-11

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo
Here is a home made Baker type stand.

30-Dec-11
Scotty, I built a stand way back when that looked almost exactly like the one in your picture. I hunted out of some of those old wooden stands back in the late seventies and early eighties. I killed my only shotgun deer out of a wooden stand that had to be 40 feet in the air. I'm tellin ya I was scared spitless climbing into that thing! Cool thread and great memories!

16-Jan-12

mac34's embedded Photo
mac34's embedded Photo
Out shed hunting today, I took a few pics of old stands.

16-Jan-12

mac34's embedded Photo
mac34's embedded Photo
another one

16-Jan-12

mac34's embedded Photo
mac34's embedded Photo
The last one

16-Jan-12
How many of you used a notched out 2X4 in the fork of a tree. Heck I wouldn't use any nails so I could take it out with me if it turned out to be a poor location.

• Sitka Gear