jamaro@home 26-Dec-11
arctichill 27-Dec-11
TradbowBob 28-Dec-11
Rut Nut 28-Dec-11
jamaro@home 28-Dec-11
Coues HNTR 28-Dec-11
Shaft2Long 29-Dec-11
23-Dec-11
I contacted Bear Creek Outfitters of Silver City NM after reading a nice story in Bowhunter Magazine. Lou Probo, the outfitter was very helpful, at first, and sent me lots of information, pictures and the references.

I checked the references and, of course (who would give you a reference that wouldn't say good things???) they all checked out. Then I talked to Lou and he said that he was having a special and I could save $1,000 if I booked by December 1.

Well it sounded pretty good. I even checked him out with the NM Dept of F&G and while they had one complaint about him, it was a minor incident. I was getting ready to book with him, but them a buddy in Texas called and asked me to go hunting with him during that year, 2013. So I decided to postpone the lion hunt even though I wouldn't get the special discount if I did.

I contacted Lou twice by e-mail to tell him that I was going to have to postpone the hunt. After the second e-mail, I got a letter from him.

It was a nasty letter telling me that he'd been outfitting for 20 years and could tell that I wasn't serious when he talked to me and(In so many words)I was a bum and other assorted stuff.

Needless to say I'm glad that I didn't book with him. If a guy can't take a polite "I can't make it that year" without blowing up I don't know that I would want to spend a week with him let alone several thousand dollars to go hunting with him.

Now to be fair, the references I talked to were glowing, some had hunted with him every year for a long time. Just be sure that you are aware of his mercurial nature if you decide to go with him. He also offers bear, elk and antelope hunts.

TBB

23-Dec-11
You got an email or a letter? If the dude took the time to hand write you a letter when he could have emailed or called, just to tell you his great record and you're a bum...he's a full blown nut.

Actually I dont know why he would have even bothered to email other than to say thanks. There should be guys beating down his door for that price.

However, I would be VERY skeptical of 1k -what on earth could you expect for that price???

I think you avoided a huge problem.

23-Dec-11
He did not say the hunt cost 1000. he said he'd save 1000.

23-Dec-11
woodgu65.....it was a $1k off.

23-Dec-11

23-Dec-11
He said he was "about to book" the hunt.

23-Dec-11
Outside looking in I would say he needed the money and offered you $1000 off to get you to commit and when you didnt his emotions got the best of him as he was already counting on that money.

23-Dec-11
Thanks Spinedoc...THat changes the complexion of things! I deleted my post.

Agreed...Poor form on belhaf of the outfitter.

23-Dec-11
StrutNut hit the nail on the head.

this economy has been rough on guys who have been in the game for many years. years of being booked by show season are almost a thing of the past.

in my line of work....I can quote 10 hunts for every 1 booked. It used to be 1 hunt booked for every 5 quoted!!

he let his frustrations get the best of him on this...

23-Dec-11
"Outside looking in I would say he needed the money and offered you $1000 off to get you to commit and when you didnt his emotions got the best of him as he was already counting on that money."

I agree, poor form, and he probably regrets his words.

23-Dec-11
Definately poor form on the part of the outfitter. Even if in the context of "I was getting rready to book with him" that he thought the hunter had committed and then reniged (and potentially turned other prospective hunters away from that spot), still poor form.

23-Dec-11
Good thing none of the rest of us ever have a bad day. Like Pastringking alot of guys that would normally be booked find themselves with openings and then everyone is looking for a deal too.They have business's to run and bills to pay like everyone else. It sounds like this maybe the case here. I agree it is poor customer relations but if all his referencses checked out and everything was good up until that point I don't know if I would post on a public forum to stay away. Acccording to my wife I have over-reacted on occasion.

Jim

23-Dec-11
Jim.... "according to my wife" hahahaha. I hear that!!

there has been a lot of "deal making" going on with outfitters over the past few years and almost created a more harsh working market for themselves.

24-Dec-11
Wow,

I'm tying to be a good guy and letting people know about the other side of the process and I get sniped at.

1. I didn't commit to the guy in any way. I talked with him and did some homework.

2. He offered me the deal when I was calling about the original price.

3. I made the effort TWICE to contact him to tell him that I couldn't go that year, because I didn't want to leave him hanging and I didn't hear back from him after my first e-mail on HIS web site.

4. Whenever someone give you a reference, they are going to give you the names of someone who was happy so to my way of thinking, references are mostly useless.

Take the thread for what it was intended to be. A notice that I had a bad experience with the guy and encouragement to dig as deeply as possible so if you are going to have a bad experience it is before the hunt, not after you have given him some money, ala Tutullik, or during it.

TBB

26-Dec-11

jamaro@home's Link
TBB... When you were looking for info,we talked via messages... and I told you at the time I would not give this guy any of my money... I live in Silver City and at first it was hard to find any info but I did do some digging and he has a shady past... You kept digging looking for specifics and I told you that nobody wanted to go on record because this guy is a pain... and when I wouldn't give you specifics you said that you were not going to take my word.. SOOO not everybody gave this guy a good reference... I told you he was shady and you didn't believe me... I had nothing to gain by sharing my information with you but you didn't listen...

Jason www.TheNewMexicoSportsman.com

27-Dec-11
I'm a Realtor and I've driven countless folks around burning up countless dollars worth of gas only to have them tell me the timing wasn't right. If I were to allow my customer-focused service commitment to falter at that moment I would undoubtedly be out of business right now. Exceptional customer service is even more impactful when the customer chooses not to buy.....at least at that moment.

I get as many referrals from folks who don't end up purchasing a home as I do from those that do. I recently wined and dined a retired couple from out-of-state for days only to have them decide to move to Arizona instead of New Mexico. Nonetheless, I reminded them that "There is no such thing as a good deal on the wrong home." If NM wasn't the ideal place for them to reside for the rest of their days then I was more than honored to have been the one to help them realize that. After they closed on their home in Arizona I received this e-mail:

"Hi Jesse,

Joe and I both want to thank you so very much for showing us all the properties in NM. You are very good at what you do, and we really appreciated all the time and effort you put into showing us all the different properties that you did. You are most definitely an exception in the real estate market!

It was truly a pleasure working with you, you are very talented at what you do and we wish you the very best! If you ever need a reference, please feel free to call on us......because we think you are the greatest! You have a great personality, you are honest, punctual and most of all you follow through with what you say you are going to do.

So keep up the good work and it was truly a pleasure working with you! It was a real treat to see you and your wife at the Pondarosa's Halloween Party! We were very happy for you that you were able to meet your hero the bucking bronco guy!

The very best of luck to you and your family!"

The "bucking bronco" guy they referred to was Travis Briscoe....world class Bull Rider. It's ironic that after being a fan [and neighbor as we both live in the same town] of his for years, I was introduced to him buy a couple of retirees visiting from out of town. LOL In a nut shell, people are customers, but they are people first. I wouldn't treat a single one of my customers in a way that I wouldn't approve of someone treating my own grandmother.

I believe that if this outfitter adopted this same philosophy his business would be benefit.

Jesse W. Deubel "Representing People, Not Properties"

28-Dec-11
Jason,

Nice "I told you so".

After your comments, which were ones that you said you wouldn't go into in specific, I kept on digging. I traced down the allegations you made about him to the NM F&G department. They did not back you up about "many complaints" about the guy. I went through all of his references and then asked them for more references.

Why should I take one guy who shoots from the dark on the internet as being more credible than all of those other people? Maybe you had a grudge against him for some long time problem with him. Maybe...heck who knows what on the internet.

I'm not trying to do anything but let people know specifically about my experience, not something you were willing to do.

TBB

28-Dec-11
Maybe if more people would take the time to share their experiences, like TradbowBob just did, there would be less unhappy hunters.

I sure would take this into account if I was thinking of hiring this outfitter! It's all about the CUSTOMER SERVICE!

28-Dec-11
This guy is super shady and i have no doubt that if someone gave him a negative review he would sue.. NO DOUBT. I also told you to contact the government trapper in the area... Anyway you are right.. I am just some dude of the street but I was the only reference that he didn't supply...

I offered then and the offer still stands I know a few SOLID Hounds-man.. If you ever want to come to SW NM to hunt let me know..

J

28-Dec-11
The best houndsman in the area is the one that jamaro mentioned there for you to call which is the government trapper. The man is incredible with his dogs. If you want his info it is on my speed dial

29-Dec-11
"Maybe if more people would take the time to share their experiences, like TradbowBob just did, there would be less unhappy hunters.

I sure would take this into account if I was thinking of hiring this outfitter! It's all about the CUSTOMER SERVICE!"

Yes sir, that sounds good.

• Sitka Gear