scentman 30-Dec-11
roger 30-Dec-11
Michael A 30-Dec-11
scentman 30-Dec-11
Coyote 65 30-Dec-11
pillpusher 31-Dec-11
guidermd 01-Jan-12
27-Dec-11
How many have had luck using smoke as a cover scent? Smoking clothes? DO you still play the wind? Have you noticed any reaction?

THanks

27-Dec-11
You'll just smell like a smokey human.

27-Dec-11
Ca indians would sit in a smoke house until a fine ash developed on their skin which enabled them to be within feet of deer and prey without them smelling them.

Anyone tried THAT? grin

27-Dec-11
I know a group of hunters in the industry that used to "smoke up" before hunting/filming. They would make a small brush with leaves and twigs from that area and let the smoke permiate their clothes. This was several years ago, so I don't know if they are still doing it.

27-Dec-11
Smoke may reduce your odor. Nothing can hide it from a deer.

27-Dec-11
Smoke from burning dry zebra dung used as cover in South Africa...I think it works.

27-Dec-11
like most things it works sometimes, would probly work better in area that is constantly subjected to smoke.

27-Dec-11
Never tried it but do know of a couple of pretty successful elk hunters that "smoke up by the fire every morning and evening" they swear by it..

27-Dec-11
"Smoke may reduce your odor. Nothing can hide it from a deer."

Exactly........

28-Dec-11
I 'smoke' all the time!...someday I'll kill a deer (I hope)......

28-Dec-11
cant say one way or the other. it makes sense b/c during the fall hunting season as people are cranking up their stoves the smell off smoke is familiar and unthreatening so it would make sense as a cover scent. there is a popular scent eliminator product (which will go unnamed)that has a faint smell of smoke to it. I put a few drops of liquid smoke in a spray bottle with water and spray down. Had deer in my lap and had deer bust me from long distance. Crap shoot however you look at it. Who knows what is in a deers mind and what its past experiences are. Some are super spooky others less so. If a deer was shot at and missed (spooked) by some one with smoke scent on him I'm sure he would be a little edgy when he smelled it again. ditto the doe p products

30-Dec-11
Find the nearest fresh cow pie and roll around in it. Best cover scent you'll find. Just face into the wind after, cause having your nose downwind of yourself sucks.

Added bonus is it also acts as face/body paint. No camo necessary.

30-Dec-11
I don't smoke or wear blaze orange while archery hunting... years back when I did smoke and wearing blaze orange during shotgun here in NY, I had numerous chances at whitetails while puffing on a cig while on stand.

I am not stating wind does not make a difference because it does... however... deer hate human stank and the smoke,(in my opinion) dulls their sense of smell from my observations. To answer your post, I do use smoke as a cover scent on occasion during archery season.

30-Dec-11
That you feel smoke "dulls their sense", is a big mistake, IMO.

Do you not "wear blaze" because your of the opinion they actually see it?.....Millions of deer have been killed by hunters wearing flourescent orange, who were in full view of the animal, and vice versa. Scientists determined year ago that they don't see it and documented the results.

30-Dec-11

Actually I get a cpl 5 gal buckets of cow sh-it from my neighbor and pour it on the edge of my yard where I walk to my stands. I walk thorough it on the way out, pretty much sums up my scent elimination.

I've been known to light up now and then, and have taken some nice rackage while doing so. Prob is'nt the best idea... but aleast I know wind direction... Mike

30-Dec-11
Roger, on the smoke issue...just my thought on the original post, I believe smoke can be effective on covering human scent. On the blaze orange statement... I have killed many whitetails while wearing it on stand during gun season...I suppose I could wear it during Archery, but it would not seem right... gotta feed Bill Jerdons family.

30-Dec-11
APauls, not only does it make a good cover scent, but it also works like Chapstick. After applying, you only lick your lips once.

Seriously, had a weiner dog that would roll in manure before he went hunting.

Terry

31-Dec-11
As Mike said, you will just smell like a smokey human.

01-Jan-12
i had 7 deer in my yard this evening eating sun and shade grass mix while my garbage can was burning 10 yards away. all household trash(saves me trips to the landfill) and they didn't mind one bit, but i certainly thought it stunk. they didn't seem to care.

• Sitka Gear