SDHNTR(home) 22-Apr-12
Matt 22-Apr-12
Vandal44 22-Apr-12
THE ELK REAPER 22-Apr-12
Vandal44 23-Apr-12
20-Apr-12

THE ELK REAPER's Link
Kifaru Duplex Timberline pack system

This system will allow you to use one frame, but change bags from 3 different sizes (4,000, 5,200, 7,200).

You can also choose from 2 frame options (24" or 26"). The 24" hunting frame will fit torso lengths up to 18-19 inches and the 26 will ft torso lengths up to 23 inches.

The DT packs will be a bonus for guys with a longer torso that are looking for a load hauling day pack that can also convert into a multi day hunting pack and give you good shoulder lift at the same time.

I've attached a link that goes over several videos on these new packs from Kifaru.

20-Apr-12

THE ELK REAPER's embedded Photo

THE ELK REAPER's Link

20-Apr-12

20-Apr-12

These photos are of the Duplex Timberline3 and optional Cargo Panel.

20-Apr-12

DT3 loaded with 3 days of gear.

20-Apr-12
All of the Timberline bags that can bee attached to the Duplex Frame have the same pocket configuration; two vertical slot pockets and two zippered pockets on the outside of the bag. The slot pockets work for several things, but the original intent was for a spotting scope and tripod.

20-Apr-12
elkreaper,

What are the advantages of these vs. the standard Timberline packs. I understand they are more modular. But you are also giving up lots of the weight savings. Any other advantages or disadvantage you see?

20-Apr-12
The modularity is the biggest advantage of the Duplex series, but you do add over a pound of additional pack weight with that system.

The max load range is higher with the Duplex (depending on how you load it), but both handle weight very well.

The standard Timberline packs are a dual stay system and when overloaded can barrel a bit and you may need to puch your knee into the back of the pack to get it flat. The Duplex frame is very rigid and does not let this happen. Both packs will curve to you body, but the Duplex is much more rigid horizontally.

It would be hard for me to sway a person towards either pack as each persons hunting style is going to dictate what will work best.

If someone isn't planning on packing more than 60-70 lbs, than the standard Timberline is probably a better choice.

Clear as mud?

21-Apr-12
Thanks Aron. Much clearer, for me anyway.

You know my interest in the duplex frame system. These packs look to be a great option. I see now what you mean WRT to the cargo panel in your configuration. The variations/versatility is pretty amazing.

As was pointed out in another thread. Big difference between packing 70lbs in gear that maxes out at 70 (or less) and packing 70lb with gear meant for 100lb+.

And all that in something that is huntable (is that a word?) That's what I need. Taking 3 different packs with me is not an option. The one I take is the one I do everything with. Have no room nor weight for anything else.

21-Apr-12
Damn I am weak. 6 weeks to go...

I personally am of the opinion the MMR/load sling/asst. pocket combination can outdo the MR Crew Cab. Time will tell.

21-Apr-12
Would love to see them offer the packs in ATACS camo. I just don't dig the multicam that much. Does Patrick ever do customizations like that?

21-Apr-12
"Damn I am weak. 6 weeks go.."

LOL.

21-Apr-12
Needed improvement, IMO. But is there any plan on a 2200-3000 size pack? Or, better yet, something expandable a- la Crew Cab? That would make day hunting a little more practical with that system.

21-Apr-12
Sdhunter. If it helps, I plan on getting a cargo panel as well as a dt2 and will fit the panel with pockets only to function as my daypack. This will give me about a 4 lb daypack that can haul moose quarters if needed.

21-Apr-12
Is the optional cargo panel what is holding the yellow bag in the above photo? It looks like it works like a grab it. Am I looking at the photo correctly?....Answered my question, I just found it on their website

21-Apr-12

Have you used one of these before, SDHNTR?

The Duplex Timberline 3 is actually much more compact than the Crew Cab (I have both) and the DT will also handle larger loads with a pack that weighs 3 pounds less.

You can also do this with the Duplex system:

1)Use the frame as a hauler with Cargo Panel

2) Add the cargo panel and bag and use them together

3) Add any amount of pockets and pods needed for each person particular hunt and strap the Cargo Panel on as well.

So I'm not sure how you could make it more expandable or versatile as you have over a hundred options/configurations to choose from.

The 24" and 26" frames will also fit any hunters torso length and the Nice Frame/Crew Cab will only fit someone with a torso of 17" or less.

I've attached a photo of a hunt from last year. My partner and I are the same height, he used the Crew Cab and I used the Duplex system with Cargo Panel. We both had each system set up for day hunting and we both were able to pack out a full goat and day hunting gear in one trip.

The issue he had with the CC was the height of the frame. I understand that carrying an entire goat out isn't needed, but it does show how the Duplex can be loaded vertically and kept everything tight to my back.

Adam was not to be outdone with his new pack, so he strapped his goat horizontally onto the Crew Cab. Keep in mind Adam is a stud and muscled his way down the mountain, but he did sell the pack when he got home and ordered a Duplex Frame the next week.

You can get the 26" hunting/Duplex frame with Cargo Panel and enough pockets for day hunting down to 5 1/2 lbs. This is roughly 4 lbs lighter than the Crew Cab. You could also run the DT3 bag (2 lbs) along with the frame (3lbs 14 oz's) and a Cargo Panel (14 oz's). This set up would handle just about any day hunting or multi day hunt that was less than 4 days....with a pack that weighs under 7 lbs.

21-Apr-12

Here's a photo showing what this system can do.

21-Apr-12

21-Apr-12

21-Apr-12
Hopefully all of this makes sense, but I can promise that you won't find a more versatile system on the market....I've tried.

21-Apr-12
Aaron that pack comes in nice and light with all the pockets installed want be long and you can show it with some meat in it Thnaks Shane

22-Apr-12
I have an older Kifaru Long Hauler, Can I use these packs on the older frame. I would like to use only one pack for a longer Bivy hunt. Aron I like how you attached the smaller bags to the frame, that would be nice for a day pack, can you do that with the older frame.

22-Apr-12
Yep, Kifaru has an adapter/retro fit kit that makes everything compatible.

Just make sure and let them know you're ordering the bag for an older frame.

22-Apr-12
Interesting. Thanks for the explanation Aron.

22-Apr-12
"Needed improvement, IMO. But is there any plan on a 2200-3000 size pack? Or, better yet, something expandable a- la Crew Cab? That would make day hunting a little more practical with that system."

I believe the Kifaru system will prove far more verstile than the Crew Cab with the addition of a few pockets, and can be configured to your liking. The system would be lighter and should carry heavy loads more comfortably.

22-Apr-12
Thanks for the info. Aron. I never knew that the Kifaru packs could be so customized.

I know it's a lot to ask but could you tell me what pouches that you have attached to the frame on the last picture that you posted. How would you attach a water blatter to the frame. Thanks Gerry

22-Apr-12
I use a long pocket for my bladder and attach it straight to the Duplex Frame

Just below the long pocket I attach a Mid Long Light pocket.

In the last photo the pocket on the bottom is a medium pod and above that is a Mid Long.

Just make sure and order the hunting version or 500d Cordura pockets as the military pockets are heavier.

23-Apr-12
Thanks for the information, I hope your getting commission. It looks like I will be ordering some more stuff from Kifaru

• Sitka Gear