PA-R 12-Jan-17
Ungie01201 13-Jan-17
HerdManager 13-Jan-17
midwest 13-Jan-17
HerdManager 13-Jan-17
Zim1 13-Jan-17
The last savage 13-Jan-17
26-Apr-12
So I'm watching NA Whitetail, and Stan is in KS. All of a sudden he is pointing and saying "shooter". I am looking for the shooter behind the lean, 2.5 year old thin-racked 9-point, which he proceeds to shoot (at a severe quartering towards angle). Looked like he hit the deer in the jugular. Sitting behind the deer, Stan claimed it was a "big, mature buck, probably 4.5 ears old". Huh? Deer would dress about 150 lbs and score 115"-120".

I am thinking it was the last day of a slow hunt, but what's wrong with saying so? Why try to pass off a young buck to viewers who know better? Sad to see what $ and celebrity do to hunters. I have passed deer that size here in PA, and would not look twice at that deer, even on the last day of a hunt.

26-Apr-12
I didn't see the show, but those guys are well known for shooting small bucks just for TV and telling the viewer what a giant it is.

What has bothered me most is how they always say "we are done here in X state" when they harvest their deer. It has clearly become a job to many of these guys.

I am not ripping on Potts, but I do see much too much TV personality in the way he acts. IMHO

26-Apr-12
NO Kill NO SHOW ,, NO SHOW NO MONEY !!!! to me that equals a sell out,,,,

26-Apr-12
I watched the show up until I see it is Potts and had to hear his famous "That's what I'm talking about" Then I changed channels to watch a rerun of Dropped If I remember right. I get so tired of his usual language and all of the other stuff. I'm sure he probably turned his head and said give me a minute!!I never said that when I shot my first bull with a bow. Come on dude.

26-Apr-12
Give me a second folks

26-Apr-12
Poor, poor Stan....he has a rough job and a reputation to uphold.......him and GW make a great pair. Stan really is a nice guy though folks.

27-Apr-12
Who is gw

27-Apr-12
64indian64, I think it would be similar for the hunting stars, at least in the fall. If someone doesn't have a camera over their shoulder with intentions of putting their hunt into the bank, I doubt they'd even show up at deer camp. i can't say I'd be much different if it were my job. If you spend from September - the end of December traveling all over the nation and Canada, driving odd hours and waking up at 5 or 5:30, sitting in stands from sunup to sun down, because your livelihood depends on ensuring that you don't miss an opportunity, I think I'd get drained pretty quickly. Just the same as how I don't particularly enjoy waking up at 5 every morning to be at work at 6, get in my 8 hours and then go to night school, is it fun to go to school when you are married and already have a career, hell no, it's fun to go to school when you are 19 and wild. It's just an altered perspective on something that may have been fun if my situation were different. Same with hunting as a career, if it's putting dollars in your wallet, it's too serious to be much fun. Then again, that's why I don't buy a camera, call myself a ph and start my own show. Some things were never supposed to be "work", they are supposed to be fun and enjoyable. Killing 6 buck-of-a-lifetime's each season must not seem so special for someone that does it for several consecutive seasons, especially when they are hunting multiple properties that they didn't cultivate and establish QDM on, they haven't earned their enjoyment on those properties. With all of that said, I LOVE watching hunting videos, because I feel like I can always learn something from them, usually I can learn what BAD shot selection looks like. I'd say of professional shows, the majority of the shots are less-than-ideal IMHO, conversely, watching a LOT of the DIY Blue Collar hunting clips on youtube after every season, I see that most archery hunters are more ethical and more dedicated to that particular animal, choosing to pass or wait for a Good shot. Nobody's perfect, I have lost a whitetail once with a bow, beautiful quartering away pass through at 13 yards, what I thought was a double lung. She ran ~60 yards and bedded down. I waited 30 minutes, and as I could see her laying with her head down, figured I was okay to go get her. As I started climbing down out of my stand, she stood up, reached back and pulled the arrow out the other side and casually walked off. I called 3 friends and my dad, we combed the woods most of the night and I looked the entire next day. Blood trail vanished at the river and couldn't find any more on the other side. Saw her two weeks later and her entry wound was a nice pink dot about 2" behind the shoulder crease. I almost gave up bowhunting, thinking it wasn't lethal enough to do ethically. Would a professional hunter have gone through that much searching and heartache over a doe that didn't live on his own property, probably not, because there are bucks in the next state over that would look great on this years hunting video. Difference in perspective.

Holy SOAP BOX!!! Sorry.

27-Apr-12
"That's what I'm talking about" and "what a buck" are two that I have really tired of. Especially when as said they are immature deer that 99% of us would let walk!

27-Apr-12
I'm 90% sure I know what episode your talking about just by the way you described it. I saw it a few months ago. I am getting my wife into hunting and she was watching it with me. I was VERY impressed she (as a novice to hunting and sizing up deer) recognizes what you are saying. It is no doubt a nice 2.5 year old despite his insistence otherwise.

For me this wasn't an episode where a celeb distorted reality...it was proof my spouse listed to me blabber constantly about deer!

27-Apr-12
GW is Gordon Whittington.

ole thumper

27-Apr-12
It's sad that that antlers are what gets guys all worked up , rather then the success of taking a wild game animal and being able to fill their freezer with high quality meat. Keep playing the antler game and it will come back to haunt us as a group. In addition, I get a kick out of all the so called experts who say they can age deer by looking at them BS. I shot a buck this past season and everyone who thinks they can age deer started calling out numbers, 4.5,6,7 etc.. and not one of them were right. How about we go and hunt and if we are fortunate to take an animal be happy no matter what it is and be done with it. I hunt public land in IL and when I shoot a spike, all the other hunters see it and I get the usual flack about how I should of let it grow etc... always gives me a good laugh.

27-Apr-12
Greg Witz ???????????

Sounds like elmer fudd trying say greg ritz.

27-Apr-12
LB

Everyone has standards, goals, and aspirations......some are just higher than others!

27-Apr-12
Every deer is AWESOME in its own way.

27-Apr-12
Don't know why this surprises anyone. Wouldn't this be precisely the behavior you'd expect, when you take something as great as a deer and dumb it down with scores/numbers?

You guys keep watching TV and your going to see this situation become exponentially worse.....Just realize why that is.

27-Apr-12
GR-Greg Ritz

He is another softy

27-Apr-12
"when you take something as great as a deer and dumb it down with scores/numbers?"

Well said Roger, well said.

27-Apr-12
Just a 5 star lodge, guided shooter. Pretty lame.

27-Apr-12
Fred Eichler, Steven Rinella,Tred Barta, what do they all have in common? You guessed it, they all hunt and the antlers are secondary. If antlers are your primary goal then go shed hunting. jmo lol

28-Apr-12
"sad to see what $ and celebrity do to hunters"...hold on here, "celebrity" just doesnt mix with the word hunter. These folks might percieve themselves as celebrities and sure there are some fan boys that treat them like celebs but come on!! what makes stan, lee,tiff or whoever celebs?? because they shoot big bucks?? trust me, there are guys out there nailing bigger bucks that fly under the radar and dont seek or want the attention. i always laugh when i see the jock riders standing in line at a sport show for an autograph. lets not feed into the hype that makes these people think they are celebs. remember, if they hunted where most of you hunted theyd be no-names.

28-Apr-12
I no longer watch outdoor programming. As a result, Ionly know some of the "old timers". I can truly say, I enjoy hunting a lot more now that I no longer dop it for a living. It is great to go only when I want to go.

28-Apr-12
GW = Gordon Whittington !.... ((*;

Most 'celebs' (most) are nice people! (some NOT) .... But many people and 'the celebs' forget they are 'just people'! I always said: "I don't care if a person has ONE Dollar or Millions...they are 'just people'.... none better than the other"!

When people start thinking they are 'better' than someone else.....we/they have lost "something"!

28-Apr-12
Well if everyone own enough land and didn't shoot deer until they were 6yrs old, then everyone would be shooting 170,180 class deer. Growing large antlers seems to be the fad now , but whats so special about it now that everyone is doing it. It use to be unique when a hunter showed up with a true trophy but now it's nothing special. When I see candy kiskey pass up a 150 saying it's not big enough and many others doing the same it's beyond the point of ridiculous. Now in Stan Potts defense, he started out killing big deer on public land and that is saying something, and then he found out how much money he could make doing it on camera,can't blame him. It's up to the hunters not to support these shows or the manufactures who sponsor them and then maybe some sanity will come back. The trad gang has a St,Jude auction coming up and I have yet to see any of the celebs offering anything for auction or for that matter any manufacturer, just saying.

28-Apr-12

Tribe Shark's embedded Photo
Tribe Shark's embedded Photo
Ive been talking about this topic for some time over the last five years.Like LB shooter was saying about big deer being a true accomplishment ...now you can just pay and shoot whatever size you want for the right price.Last year over the 2011 2012 bow season i shot a nice 2 1/2 year old buck...why? ...because i scouted the area...see a great scrape and rub line...picked the one tree out of a hundred...and connected the next morning...in my eyes...it was one of the most FUN accomplishments i had so far in 15 years of bowhunting...i scouted...and produced in less than 18 hours..and it made me feel great...its why i hunt deer...to have fun...not to brag and flaunt myself over huge money made racks.The deer pursuers are in high numbers...but the rare deer hunter...is a predator that is dwindling ...but i will be apart of a endangered species rather than join the evolution of yuppys.

28-Apr-12
"Click" that's me turning my t.v. off, to go out and shoot...my Hoyt

28-Apr-12
Just because YOU want to shoot a deer - is there anything else to it? Like BIOLOGY of the herd, management for others, proper ratios, age structures, health of the herd OR is it only about YOU? Explain to me why it makes BIOLOGIC sense to shoot 2.5 year olds??? Just because you don't shoot OLD deer (MOST of you) - doesn't mean you have to try & make yourself feel better by saying others are "ruining the sport" by shooting old deer & managing for old deer. Deer aren't on this earth just for you - how about putting some thought & concern into the above things I mentioned & the biology & reason of why you shoot what you do?

28-Apr-12
I listened to an interview (can't remember were it was but some podcast) with Potts and he actually seemed like a good guy who really does love to deer hunt.

28-Apr-12
One of my favorite quotes, even though it was from the wife of a liberal president:

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

28-Apr-12
Some seem to just enjoy killing deer. 'If its brown it's down'! Then as LB said when someone questions why he shot a spike and he should have let it grow he finds it humorous.

I can understand some hunting just for meat and not really finding scouting, cams, hunting sheds, and the challenge of harvesting a certain large buck to their liking or style. But WHY shoot a spike when you could harvest a doe??? Shooting a buck does not make you any more of a good hunter or man than harvesting a doe. Sounds good though at the store to say 'shot my buck'.....I guess!

Maybe your neighbor has higher standards and is interested in sometimes passing on several bucks and going without any deer all season just to watch them mature the next year and hopefully provide a nice trophy!

Go ahead and let me have it........I can handle it as I have lived with it for 70 years!

28-Apr-12
The man isn't a bad personality nor as bad a character as he is portrayed on here.

Its quite a shame and disappointing to read the critical comments.

One is entitled to expressing their opinion of what it is they will take or pass within a hunt, but imposing those personal rules on others isn't fair treatment to the fellow hunter.

In my opinion, the critic is stuck at the details and is missing the big picture...a man enjoying his passion-hosting a TV show in his 60's, enjoying an American dream.

28-Apr-12
Rubline

It's hard to argue with your post.

However, when we choose to be in the public eye, we will be picked apart for every detail of our behavior. I do believe he is a good person, probably much better than I. Still, I personally can't stand the fake emotion (IMO) and how happy they seem to be when done hunting in one state (with another show in the books) and off to their next job (I mean hunt).

It's not what everyday hunters are all about. We can't relate with it and are disgusted with it. I don't blame Potts for making a living hunting. Most of us would certainly do it. Perhaps he wouldn't be on TV if he didn't shoot enough deer to make a seaon of episodes. Heck, I'm sure the guy has killed more big bucks in one season than I have since 1983.

I just enjoy watching shows about the hunt itself, the planning, friendship, true emotion, fathers and sons, hard work, failure, humility, and honor of the game harvested, no matter how big or small, antlers or not.

28-Apr-12
MQQSE,

I am just not seeing the benefit of picking the genuine hunter apart. Of course it isn't the everyday hunter. They get what 7 minutes per hunt and squeeze those 14 minutes or 2 hunts in a 30 minute show (as we know the rest are commercial). I am sure there is much effort into editing film to reduce the pertinent or acceptable footage down to tiny segments. They need to capture, I believe, a minimum of 26 hunts for the season. Of course when they are done they will move on to another state; I doubt they will be sad about it.

They cannot show the days, or weeks in between successful (harvest hunts) hunts when they are not bagging game...on TV because I would think that they are regulated by the TV company on producing the "fast food" version of the hunt.

I relate to Stan on the Dominant Bucks show and I have noticed the items you mention on that show...." the hunt itself, the planning, friendship, true emotion, hard work, failure, humility, and honor of the game harvested, no matter how big or small, antlers..." I don't recall a specific show about fathers or sons...but Stan is always going on about endorsing hunting through family, friends...I just don't see the angst against the guy to be honest.

You look at the Lakosky's or Kiskys. I mean yeah most of us don't have thousands of acres to manage and let deer get into the 6 to 8 year old range. Personally I am happy for those folks and thankful they share their experiences and hunts with the public...being jealous is an option but it makes no sense and leads to nothing but negative press for the hunter.

From a broad viewpoint, I just don't see the point in retaliating against these folks with personal attacks. Sure they are all different and different from each of us, just like we on here are different from each other in personality or character.

For a time I was annoyed by the laughing that goes on the seconds after a shot or when findng the game. I guess I am learning to accept that we all handle the emotions differently. Personally I must be really boring because I am thinking about the shot and concerned that I made the ethical hit, concerned with the amount of work ahead in getting the game out, concerned with not losing the tag in the brush during transport, giving a moment of thanks while dealing with hunter remorse and making sure I capture a good memory photo and so forth. I would make a terrible TV show because of just the time alone that it takes for me (hours) to get through all of those steps as compared to the 30 minute show...LOL

28-Apr-12
Well said

29-Apr-12
Hey Ks I am a opportunity hunter, when I get a deer within my effective range with my long bow I take the shot. Buck,doe doesn't matter and I shot two does this past season and two bucks. I would be happy shooting does all season long without a problem. When you hunt with trad gear you don't pass up any opportunity, at least I don't. I agree with you 100% that shooting a buck doesn't mean your any better of a hunter so then why is there such a frenzy of shooting bucks? I will shoot a doe without any hesitation as well as a spike or fork doesn't matter,it all taste good.

29-Apr-12
Rubline

I agree with you.

Perhaps media, technology and instant gratification force good people to bow to the almighty dollar. Sure, Stan is in his 60's and a nice guy to boot.

Where is Gene Wensel these days. How ols is he? What BS is he endorsing? Why can't we watch Primal Dreams every Sunday night instead of Wildlife Nation?

No jealousy here. Just want a few tears in my eyes when observing the passion of the hunt. A good production will do that to some of us.

29-Apr-12
Midwest, That was a heck of a quote.

29-Apr-12
MQQSE,

I realize where you are coming from. I suppose its the TV Company that only allows the cut-out version and as they are the professionals of film they know what works in the market. Yes, where is the more realistic experience or longer version...yet I realize it isn't feasbile to show all of the hunt. Those moments are more portrayed in DVD's like primal dreams as you mentioned.

It is what it is...its better than watching golf.

29-Apr-12
I spent a goodportion ofmy adult life hunting all over this country and Canada. To some extent, I was a trophy hunter. To a great extent, I did for a living. I have five walls covered with my accomplishments. None have everbeen sent to any record keeping organization although quite a few qualify.

Today, I shoot whatever I want, mostly does but if a spike or forkie walks by and I feel like shooting him, I do. It doesn't bother me one bit. Lastyear I killed nine deer, all within walking distance of my house. Seven were does, two were young bucks.

Why I did I kill the young bucks? Because I wanted to, no othe reason on God's green earth but because I wanted to. It did not bother me a damn bit.

I have a degree in wildlife biology. I know more about herd dynamics than 90% of the people who try to tell me about it. I have managed herds on some of the better deer operations around. I have done seminars on aging deer on the hoof. I do not shoot young bucks by mistake or because if I don't, my neighbor will. I am sick of people trying to tell other people what to shoot.

Shoot whatever makes you happy, make no excuse for it. That is what hunting is all about. Pull you wagon and let everybody else pull theirs and tell the naysayers where they can stick it.

29-Apr-12
I quit watching outdoor hunting shows about 6-7 years ago!

Guys taking stupid shots and calling them great hits when a deer was hit in the freaking shoulder!

I would rather read about hunts here or on Facebook rather than watch stupid stuff on television and don't let me go into a 30 minute show with 12 minutes of hunting and 18 minutes of advertising...........

29-Apr-12
Hey Pat, if the producers don't hear feedback from their viewers,then how are they going to improve and make a better show? I assume you get feedback about your web site both positive and negative? Which in turn helps to make it better, maybe thats the underlying goal? Although, do any of the tv celebs visit with the common folk on these web sites lol ?

29-Apr-12
this isn't feedback it's a slam-stan fest

29-Apr-12
Pat, I think you hit the nail on the head. If folks would stop watching it, we'd drive them out of business instantly.......and, this stupid big buck culture would go with it.

30-Apr-12
Hard to always be appealing on camera I am sure. I am just not a big Stan fan. Every since he took the head on shot on the giant buck he took a number of years ago, I have been turned off by him. I heard it took a huge posse days to find that buck. The "YES" and "give me a scond" statements are just too much. I always hear he is a great person and a good christian man but still not entertaining to me. But I have been wrong before.....

30-Apr-12
BTW, just happened to tune into that show, yes I was the bored, and also thought he was calling a 2.5 yr old a mature buck. Poor shot as well. Also wiffed on a gimme coyote shot on that show.

30-Apr-12
I hunt for me and enjoy every day I'm out in the woods enjoying God's creation and filming it for others to enjoy. I just love hunting. Will I shoot a small buck?, nope...Will I shoot a doe?, yep everyone I can legally...Am I a horn hunter?, I guess you could say that since I don't shoot little ones anymore...Do I have fun with the way I hunt. Absolutely!!!!I guess when it comes to hunting it's all about me and what I like.....

As for Stan, I think Midwest did nail it...

30-Apr-12
Rubline - you have it figured out, great post.

30-Apr-12
Alot of things in life are not "made for TV". Hunting is one of them. But, if folks continue to watch, other folks will continue to profit from it. Your choice !!

01-May-12
I don't watch most of this junk...Hunting is supposed to be a participant sport, not a spectator sport.

Just like watching porno movies and seeing other guys having all the pleasure.

01-May-12
Im actually embarrassed for him..........

01-May-12
The fact that people watch hunting shows that "star" an "actor" whose personality or acting ability they dislike, indicates there must be a very strong demand for hunting shows.

Creating what most hunters would consider a "good" hunting show requires a great deal of effort, skill and luck. Actually a lot more effort, skill and luck than achieving the same outcome without a camera man tagging along.

For those that are thinking they could do it better and are considering a career change...realize that the vast majority of those that produce hunting shows, do not make big money doing so.

01-May-12
Thank you, Midwest, although my mind is not really all that great.

I am not talking about Stan (the person), I am talking about the idea that pressure from sponsors changes how really good hunters act on TV. It can make an experienced hunter actually try to pass off a 2.5 year old deer as a mature buck, when he knows darn well it is not. Very odd.

01-May-12
I admit that discussing people is not the deepest intellectual pursuit one can engage in. :)

But it is simply disingenuous to imply something is "unfair" about sharing thoughts on those who make their living by placing themselves in the public eye.He's the guy putting his antics out over the airwaves for all to see,all the while drawing a paycheck doing it.

They can't have it both ways. Simple as that.

01-May-12
I think I may give this TV stuff a try! Seems like it's pretty easy to please everyone, a lot of fun and a great way to get really rich! Nah, I think I'll buy a lottery ticket instead as it would be too hard to accept the criticism. I'm with Rubline and Midwest!! C

01-May-12
This is the beauty of America... Stan can do his own thing. You can do yours... The next guy can do his... And I can do mine! So long as we all are within the confines of the law- who cares?!!

There is a reason why we no longer watch this stuff in my house.

01-May-12
"The part I don't get is all the people that complain keep watching hunting shows."

Great point Pat. I used to watch various hunting shows all the time and got so tired of the characters and quality of the shows that I almost never watch anymore.

01-May-12
It is almost impossible to produce shows/videos that are uniquely different. When they first came out it was new and I bought the videos to learn as much as be entertained. At some point they all begin to look alike and so I think it is human to start focusing on the details like personalities. Not fair, just human.

We ought to start a thread where we pick one regular poster here and let the celebs post comments about them. LOL! I'd volunteer to go first but since I never post anything controversial it would be too boring. If you want some idea what it would look like, go to the CF and watch what happens when a lib volunteers a thought! :)

01-May-12
DO any of the so called celebs come on these sites?

02-May-12
You can bet they do.

02-May-12
So Iowa you have chatted with them? Which ones?

02-May-12
"...nor was it meant to be a spectator event."

That's the heart of the problem in a nutshell. Our heritage is being transformed into a stupid sideshow.And,like frogs in a pot being slowly brought to a boil,we are going along with it.

02-May-12
Well said ELKMAN,it's all about making hunting easy. Think about the new guy who wants to start out hunting and goes to the store for some equipment. First you need a bow,300 to 1000 bucks, then arrows ,sights, release, quiver,200 to 300 plus, then camo with carbon and boots 300 plus. Now comes the important stuff, trail camera(s) so you know what time to be in your stand 200min,treestand(s) 100 to 500, then you need to have multiple calls and rattling antlers, scents, cover scents,oh and lets not forget the best new product out there OZONICS you know the machine that covers your scent thats only 500 etc... You all get the idea ,the tradition is being tossed to the side for the all mighty dollar and we will pay for it down the road.

02-May-12
I love seeing the new and creative video techniques on the supporting footage. Ever watch that part or do you just focus on the kill?Man they have come a long way. There are some great cinematographers, producers and editors out there and the supporting video is getting much better! There are good shows and bad shows. I have some I really enjoy! I wish there were more trad bow shows!

02-May-12
roger- this stupid big buck culture will not go away if the shows do. it was here already and created a moneymaking opportunity for a few people. i will say however that if deer did not grow antlers at all, very few people would hunt them.

02-May-12
Don't watch many at all anymore. There is one where they have three teams competing. Not sure of the particulars but when I saw that I pretty much tuned out of TV hunting shows. Also, can't stand the heavy metal soundtrack with most of these shows. To each his own....

02-May-12
Midwest nailed it on the head.

02-May-12
Any buck that I take on public or private land fair chase is a shooter if "I" say its a shooter. Depends on how I feel at the moment. If it is a good day for taking a deer & the shot feels good, its a shooter.

02-May-12
Bowriter I was going to put my 2 cents in about the arrogance of trophy hunting but you said it perfectly. I am so fed up with over all these arrogant trophy hunting celebs telling me I am a bad hunter if I don't shoot a 6 yr old every year. I hunt when I get a bit of time away from family and work and will shoot what ever deer I please as they all taste damn good. Trophy deer management id going to ruin hunting for all of us. The general public thinks we hunt for food, if they only knew it was only for 155 inches of bone they would shut us all down. Wow I think I'm ranting maybe.

02-May-12
if it has legal horn i shoot it. if Potts comes on i change channels. very simple.

03-May-12
Charlie: Even though the hunting shows irk me sometimes (Hunter, whipering to cameraman, "Are you on him?")they still beat the hell outta watching golf. I often watch with the sound off unless I like the host because I enjoy watching the animals and as a photography fan I also enjoy checking out quality videography. As a trad bow shooter (only) for over 20 years I also would like to see more of those on the shows but only the compound companies can afford to sponsor shows and the sponsors don't like it if anything but their equipment is used. If I win the lottery I'll start a trad show - not - I'll be way too busy hunting and besides, my face is better suited to radio!

03-May-12
Hey Rob, Mathews make trad bows so I wonder why they never show them in use. The other problem with these shows is that the host/hunter likes to celebrate after the shot while the animal is in the background kicking and not dead, laughter and excitement while this is occurring is not a good thing to broadcast. Finish the job before the celebrating begins please.

03-May-12
I'm kind of with Ron on this, I enjoy some shows for entertainment value and the quality shots of animals

I really enjoy watching with teh sound off. WHen I was running on the treadmill, I especially enjoyed the hunting shows. I'd put music on my Ipod, and watch the show with no sound. Great way to do it!

The key is. . . the shows are entertainment, and they ain't going anywhere. If you don't like, don't watch. And who the heck am I to tell these folks how to make their living.

Life is way too short to get hung up on little things like this

People who worry about this crap have high blood pressure, anuerisms (spelling?), heart attacks, strokes, early gray hair, and are generally in a crappy mood :)

Bake

03-May-12
Perspective: Made for TV entertainment.

Some people are entertained by the shows, some not. I personally watch them so I can criticize the shot selection, the gear and so on. Just like ripping into your favorite college or pro football team. One of those " I cant beleive they just did that!" moments. I try not to take it so serious. Having met Stan, he is pretty happy with his life. Where he came from and where he is today,god bless. He does love hunting, after all why wouldn't he. Good for him, it is only TV and he has done pretty well for himself. He is exposed to critisim just like a sports star, movie star, ect. He can take it or he would have quit a long time ago. Editing makes these shows as well, more often than not, how the final product is released involves alot of decisions, I'm not sure if he has a say in it. Maybe he should have more say, who knows? Horn porn, agreed it is taking its toll on the whole meaning of the tradition. But I do beg to differ that most guys/gals do dream of shooting a giant, after all, isnt that what drives you? Notice, I said dream, or maybe WANT TO TAKE A GIANT BUCK. These shows drive product and product sells and people make money. Good ole U.S.A. All in all its about choice, love it or hate it, its here and we continue to criticize and watch. Unfrotunatley, its about the image, not the person.

11-Jan-17
Well the I see it when it come to these Hunting shows ,It's all about money and to me it's putting a price tag on an animal head and to me that not hunting it's killing ! I'm sure you guys know that these guys get governor tags every year to hunt some states . To me that's is wrong while the average Hunter has to put in for a drawing to get a tag . One more thing gets me they ALL make it sound like they know everything,when it comes to hunting they go to an outfitter they are the the ones that do all the work.

11-Jan-17
Funny to read the old comments from this thread and how many guys today have no clue about Stan Potts. I 100% agree he has become commercial in every way and promotes his brand to the point it is nauseating. I will say this though, there was a time when he was probably one of the best whitetail hunters out there. He killed a lot bigger bucks before he became famous! The Drury's really gave him his start in the "industry" from what I hear. I myself would love to pick his brain about hunting big whitetails as I honestly believe he is a weatlth of knowledge. I believe he was the first person to bow kill 3 200" whitetails with the bow and is still one of the few to have done it. He just has kind of forgotten where he came from since the fame has gone to his head a bit! Scooby

11-Jan-17
lot of pressure to get kills on film. lot of tv guys are shooting young small bucks and calling them old mature deer just to get a kill on camera.

11-Jan-17
Well..... if he hadn't shot that 2.5 year old FIVE YEARS AGO..... just think what it would be now..... =D

I like big deer. I also like shooting lots of deer and lots of other things too. And see nothing wrong with either.

11-Jan-17
TD, correct!!!! I have a bud who is almost 80. He has killed a bunch of P&Y deer and most since he turned 65. I get a kick out of him cause he will call me all excited and tell me to come help with the buck he just shot. Most times it is a 1.5 or 2.5 year old buck. I ask him why he shoots those young deer? He says "I love to kill deer, nothing like it in this world!" I feel the same way! Scooby

11-Jan-17
Dig up a 5 year old thread to bitch about hunting shows. Hilarious.

11-Jan-17
I'd like to have him do a live hunt on here.

11-Jan-17
In Connecticut to boot! "

11-Jan-17
When I was growing up i never heard of a MATURE deer. We called them old and tough to eat.

12-Jan-17
A "mature" deer and a "shooter" are not the same thing.

Like it really matters...

12-Jan-17
One of my friends ran into Stan Potts while hunting in Illinois. Stan was in a camper on a DIY hunt with his son filming. Stan took the time of the evenings to talk with my friend and offer advice. Stan also took the time to show the same so called "fake emotions" over my buddies 130 class buck. Stan was genuinely happy for him, giving him much praise. My friend walked away with an appreciation of Stan as a good guy and fellow Hunter. It's a shame people who know so little about him post so much about him.

12-Jan-17
I quit watching hunting shows years ago, the days of Fred Bear's adventures and the original American Sportsman are long gone...

Once a pastime changes to a business, it's no longer a pleasure when then it turns to money, contracts, commerce and so many times opportunities for greed... I refuse to watch any celebrity hunting, most of these dim wits turn my stomach and make me want to puke... Use to record Shockey, but he's way out there now days and deleted him from my programing....

Maybe If everybody would quit watching they'd go away, doubt it though, too many big egos... I think many of these guys perceive hunting as a sport and lust fame... Hunting is not a true sport, it's about life and death, and the personal and private enjoyment of the pursuit... In some areas of the world it's about sustenance and survival.. If I want to watch sports, I turn on ESPN... If I need entertainment, will select one of my channels, but it ain't gonna be about hunting...

Quote - "The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter."- Finn Aagard

As for TV....I'm still waiting on Pat Lefemine starring in "Celebrity Wife Swap"...8^)

12-Jan-17
Midwest - "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." ...I missed this before...dead center hit and a 30 yard recovery.

12-Jan-17
"Stan also took the time to show the same so called 'fake emotions' over my buddies 130 class buck. Stan was genuinely happy for him, giving him much praise."

Did you give him a minute?

12-Jan-17
Always wonder about the mindset of someone finding 5 year old threads to rant about another person.

12-Jan-17
Dang, didn't realize when this thread was started until now... After I spent all that time on my opinion, thanks Charlie...8^)

12-Jan-17
Great quote Midwest, lots of truth there, PETER

13-Jan-17
It all falls back on the awesome quote above.... "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Which "mind" are you? I think this thread answers that question.

13-Jan-17

HerdManager's embedded Photo
HerdManager's embedded Photo
Went back on the NA WT site and clipped a pic from a video of the buck from my original post. I'm revising my score guess. I think the deer is about 105".

13-Jan-17
Hang him!

13-Jan-17
Not hang him, but don't tell me it's a 4 year old KS buck just because you shot a small buck on the last day of a TV hunt.

13-Jan-17

Zim1's embedded Photo
Zim1's embedded Photo

13-Jan-17
I accidentally ran him off the road in green co.illinois....He didn't look to pissed...lol

• Sitka Gear