Nick Muche 12-Aug-12
elkmtngear 12-Aug-12
SitO 12-Aug-12
Mt. man 13-Aug-12
midwest 13-Aug-12
SitO 13-Aug-12
Jaquomo_feral 13-Aug-12
12-Aug-12
I have a Mel Dutton antelope decoy, but it is very appealing to use the Montana decoy because of it's size and weight. Has anyone tried both and had better luck with one or the other?

12-Aug-12
I have a Mel Dutton antelope decoy, but it is very appealing to use the Montana decoy because of it's size and weight. Has anyone tried both and had better luck with one or the other?

12-Aug-12

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
I think I used a Mel Dutton or something very similar in KS a few years ago, worked great, my shooting did not :)

Never used the Montana, know several folks who have though.

I would also consider the Heads Up Decoy as well, lighter than both I would guess and just as effective.

12-Aug-12

elkmtngear's Link
Here's another option, wind can always be a factor:

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

12-Aug-12
As mentioned above, wind is a big factor. The Montana is very flimsy and also has a sheen in certain light conditions. The Dutton is much more stable yet bulky, and with just one post, can spin in the wind.

I like the Heads Up idea, but again, with any wind it could greatly affect the shot, same with the umbrella.

There's a hole in the back end of the Dutton, we stick an extra arrow/metal rod in there for a second point of stabilization. I know that sounds bad...it is what it is...it works :)

13-Aug-12
Used the Montana several times with no issues. It is NOT flimsy or casts sheen. It just works and is simple.

13-Aug-12
I would definitely go with the Montana.

And I would be more than happy to take that Dutton off your hands. :-)

13-Aug-12
Mt.man et al, I made a mistake...was thinking of the Renzo which is in fact flimsy and has the sheen. I haven't used a Montana Pronghorn, but I do have their WT buck...and I'm sorry, but it is also flimsy.

13-Aug-12
I own all threee mentioned above.

Montana: Very portable and packable, but tough to use in wind like where I hunt.

Dutton: Not nearly as portable, more stable, rotates with the wind unless you double-secure it like SitO mentions. For stationary blind hunting this is a better choice than the Montana if the wind blows. For spot-stalk, not so much.

Elk Mountain Slip: Manageable in wind, easier to walk/stalk behind than either of the above, doubles as a shooting/filming blind, quick up and down. When I draw another buck tag, I'm going with this one for spot-stalk.

• Sitka Gear