yohon 20-Nov-13
Ace 20-Nov-13
Ace 14-Aug-14
brantman 14-Aug-14
Frenchman 19-Aug-14
Ace 20-Aug-14
'Ike' (Phone) 20-Aug-14
17-Apr-13
Has anyone hunted Sika deer before? I am either going to try Md. or Texas! Are they worth eating and how big do they get.

Thanks

17-Apr-13
From all I have read there is a big difference between Tx and MD Sika deer.

MD Sika are spooky as can be and any Sika taken with a bow is a major accomplishment even a doe. I would love to do that hunt one day. Not very expensive even with a guide. Muddy Marsh has a great reputation. This species I believe is the Japanese sub species, which is the smallest maybe about a 100lbs.

TX Sika will be for the most part high fence. NOW WITH THAT SAID THERE ARE SOME VERY CHALLENGING HIGH FENCE HUNTS OUT THERE. There are also several subspecies of Sika and with that the cost will change too. I believe most Sika in texas are either Manchurian or Dybowski or a hybrid of both as all sika species will interbred. These may go 150-225 based on what I have read.

They are cool animals not matter what so have fun and good luck.

17-Apr-13
I shot five last year in texas and there is none left in the freezer!!!!!

17-Apr-13

Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
My Son Ryan shot a few also

17-Apr-13
When I had a lease in sika country in md I gave my whitetails away and kept every ounce of sika meat I had. They are a riot to hunt, they rut and "bugle" like elk and live in the swamp. If you go to Md buy a thermacell.

17-Apr-13
As far as the Maryland variety is concerned, they're not deer, they are elk. I don't know anything about what TX calls a "sika deer".

The "stags" bugle. The "hinds" have a call very much like an elk cow call. They also have an alarm call (a chirp) and they make wallows.

I personally don't happen to think that they are a tougher animal to hunt than whitetails. (tougher to kill though.) What makes them so difficult in MD is where they live, in the swamps.

And they are very good to eat. I am certainly no expert, but if you want to know more about the MD sika, send me a PM. Oh, and I would also recommend Muddy Marsh.

17-Apr-13
I have never hunted a sika deer per se, but I have been around them on exotic hunts in Texas. I have learned thea following about them:

(1) They are a territorial animal (2) They are a very seclusive animal (3) They will attempt to breed an elk cow and will chase elk bulls away from an elk cow (I have witnessed this). (4) They are very aggressive and will chase a WT out of their area and have high tendencies to gore WT with their antlers (5) There are 3 sub-species of sika deer. They are all from Asis orginally.

I have been told that the sika in MD display similar behavior, except for the exposure to elk.

17-Apr-13
I killed one in NZ. Have not hunted them in the US, either MD or TX.

Sika venison is the absolute best wild meat in the world!

Pete

17-Apr-13
Hunt them every year for the last 20 or so in Tx and would love to do the MD hunt some day.

Most of what's said above is true with a couple exceptions - there is a strong population of free range japanese sika in the southern and western Texas hill country and prices to hunt are typically lower on the trophy-fee scale. They are a little different sub-species than the MD deer and tend to be larger than the deer in MD - both in body and horn - a 3x3 with 14-15 inch horns is a great animal in MD, 4x4 in the 18-20 inch range is more representative in the Tx free-range population. There are actually more than 20 sub-species of sika that range in size from 60lbs to over 300lbs - in that regard they are very similar to whitetails. The deer in MD are believed to be from one of the smaller islands of Japan, and the Tx deer are a mix of several japanese subspecies.

There are also more Manchurian and Dybowski sika showing up in TX, both of which originate from mainland asia and are larger in body than any of the jap subspecies - these are almost exclusively behind fences and command a higher price tag. Dybowski bucks are typically 4x4s with lengths in the mid-30's, and manchurians have heavier, shorter horns in the high 20's - low 30's and a strong tendancy to produce 5x5 or greater antlers.

All can be called, and with any pressure, are significantly more elusive than whitetails in my experience. Tx rut is in late October-Early November, and one of the few times a year when they aren't nocturnal. Males can get fairly dumb during this time but that's a relative term - they still won't let you get away with anything in a tree or blind, and the females are the worst - spook one, and you might as well pack it in for the morning/evening - they'll let every other critter out there know you're there.

Great table fare - really dark, almost purple meat that looks a bit odd at first, but tastes great.

17-Apr-13
Thanks Guys! I don't know where I'll go yet, but they sound like an excellent animal to hunt! I like the fact that they bugle and are good eating.

Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!

18-Apr-13

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
I've been to Md. twice (a few years back) with an outfitter but out of Busn. now.. There are a couple public access places pretty decent.. Black Water natl wildlife refuge & Assatique Island (SP). Part of that is Va. (I think) & also open to Sika. Other route is Texas & thats HF hunting. I've done some HF for other animals on Day lease places & it's not a slam dunk as so many think. I've always been on 1000 to 4000 acre places. Texas will have a coupe different types & they are larger. Md. Sika's rarly have more than 3 points on a side & maybe a foot in length. females run 75#s or less & Stags maybe 125#s. They are great tasting as they are an Elk. We were in Md. in Oct. & they were bugling-sound just like our Western Elk,Bugle, Bark & make wallows ect... Hunting them is in the marshes & it is tough. baiting is allowed in Md (or was when we were there). I think there is a Muddy MArsh outfitter in Md. that has good reports & resonable. I was going to go with them a few years back but had to cancel due to wife getting sick. Anyway, you have lots of options. If you go to Md., go 1st part of Oct. as thats usually the rut.. This is one my son killed about 10 years ago.

18-Apr-13
I've never hunted them but we have them in both Maryland and VA too. Its a draw hunt here in VA. A couple business acquaintances who have done it in VA and MD said it was a tough hunt, especially in VA. Very thick cover. Tough access. Low success. They also made mention of the snakes. (cotton mouths). They said the farms in Md were better in every way. You'll definitely want to find out if you are hunting farms or swamps. Pretty rare to get the branch antlered trophies in VA or in MD though. They both said that the ones on display by the Md outfitters at the show when they booked did not accurately represent what the few they saw on the hunts but they did see several animals.

They are good eating. I tried one that was killed in Md. Both as a roast and that had been made into Pastrami. Like anything else its good if its done right. Pastrami was awesome.

I'd like to do a one of those hunts at some point too.

18-Apr-13
As a bonafide ElkNut they are definitely on my bucket list. When I did the Harrisburg show there was a guy from over near Philly that would stop and talk. He had it figured out pretty good but said it was a tough hunt. He hired an outfiter twice and then started DIY hunting. He was in the swamps. Elevated stands are the only way to get a decent shot he said. He also said in that high growth it was like hunting rabbits. Just quick glimpses of them and you had to be ready.

He did kill a nice stag with what I remember to be 4 or 5 points on each side. Really nice!

Some day.......

I always thought it would be a great place for an eastern Bowsite meet and greet kinda like the Porkapaloozas at Shilo.

19-Apr-13

Hang'em High's Link
You can do a DIY in the Blackwater Refuge and some other areas on MD's Eastern Shore, but be prepared to put in alot of scout-time. Last year I got the chance to hunt with Muddy Marsh Outfitters...awesome experience! TJ and Joe run a great camp and put us on those "Marsh Ghosts". Our hunt was right after Hurricane Sandy rumbled through...water everywhere. We even had a celeb in camp with us...Jim Shockey was there filming a hunt. I was fortunate enough to take a very fat hind, and later that evening a super-nice 6pt stag.

Here's a link to the MMO Sika Harvest page. Jim's spike are pics #1 and #2; my brother-in-law's spike is pic #3; my 6pt stag is pic #4 and my hind is pic #6. Another guy in camp with us took a hind in pic #5.

http://www.muddymarshoutfitters.com/SikaHarvests.html

I'd highly recommend a trip to MMO to accelerate your learning curve about hunting these Sika deer...great time.

19-Apr-13

the_runner's embedded Photo
the_runner's embedded Photo
Here is one I killed at Diamond C in TX. In my opinion Sika are one of the toughest animals around and even with a well-placed arrow, I would not rush the tracking job. Disclaimer #1: it was a high fence ‘hunt’. Disclaimer #2: I enjoyed every second I was there and would do it every weekend if I could ;)

_runner

19-Apr-13
Thanks HangEmHigh...

I want to ask you... since they have a daily rate, how many days do you suggest a guy hunts if he wants a chance at a mature stag?

19-Apr-13
I had to laugh reading their About Us page. It says "We are a member of the Rockey Mountain Elf Foundation" Is that part of the North American Super Slam? lol

20-Apr-13
Mule...that's entirely up to the Sika-gods. I was there for 2 days (4 hunts - am & pm); saw Sika on each sit. As I mentioned TJ and Joe will do their best to put you on the Sika, rest is up to you - prep, patience, shot placement. I'd still consider myself a rookie WRT Sika deer...the experts IMHO reside over on marylandwhitetail.com in The Wallow forum. You'll find stories, tips, pics and video there. I spent alot of time in that forum before my trip...I had a great time and enjoyed success. Good luck! Bob

21-Apr-13

yohon's embedded Photo
yohon's embedded Photo
I hunt the things pretty hard here in MD and have been for 30+ years. My first ever deer with a bow was a Sika. They are THE best eatin deer...my wife hates to hear of an open Sika tag!!!

Id love to try one of the Texas hunts for the bigger subspecies of Sika. Maryland has the smallest so it be nice to see the bigger racks and in turn a bigger package of that delicious vension!!!

For you guys that want a guided hunt TJ and Joe at Muddy marsh are hard to beat, they do a great job and work hard.

Attached pix is a decent one I killed last October...

21-Apr-13
From the pics the stags appear to be as big as a NJ whittail doe and the hinds as small as a fawn. Does look like a fun hunt and Muddy Marsh would appear as the way to go based on comments here and their website.

And Mule-We could call it Sikalooza 1 for our first gathering:)

23-Apr-13

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
This is a good example of a free range Texas Japanese Sika buck. I hunted him for several seasons with several close calls, but no luck, and a rifle client finally got him. As mentioned before, they are no pushovers, and I'd say that with a few exceptions, even in tx they are more often a target of opportunity than the target of a dedicated hunt.

The runner's buck is pretty clearly a hybrid dybowski/Japanese - great buck btw.

23-Apr-13
I hunted with Muddy Marsh Outfitters in MD last November. It was a lot of fun. I was only there 2 days and I didn't get a shot but it was exciting just to hear them out there screaming. they are not like anything else you can hunt east of the mississippi

25-Apr-13
You will not be disappointed with a MD sika hunt. When one of those little swamp monsters whistles not far from you the excitement is chilling. YOU WILL BE HOOKED !!!

Muddy Marsh is the best outfitter down there and you can't go wrong with TJ and Joe. Tj is also a great sponser of the archery community.

You also can't go wrong going DIY in Blackwater or on Asseteague.

Rule of thumb I tell guys, Go further out into the swamp then you think you should.

Bill V.

25-Apr-13

Bill V's Link
In case you may want to check out a hunt thread I did a few years ago.

Bill V.

25-Apr-13
Sikapalooza! Seriously Chip, and whoever else. At $225 a day it's in the same ballpark as hogs. Let's do it!!!

I left them a voicemail last week but no call back. No question I'm going to ry it since I can drive there in 8 hours or so.

25-Apr-13
I've taken two in Texas. Both times I was not hunting for them, and they presented shot opportunities when my chosen species didn't. They are tasty.

21-May-13
Who is interested in a Sika-Palooza mid November?

21-May-13
I have a lease in MD for sika, and have been trying for years to kill a 6pt with a bow. I have shot every thing but one it seems. I want to get serious with them this year. A couple things to think about when your booking a hunt. I get thousands of monster sika picture at 2am!They go nocturnal at the slightest human contact. Most of the daylight pics come early sept opening day archery, during the rut, and Jan. Sika rut is about peak 3r week Oct. January hunting is usualy very productive over bait, as hunger takes over in the marsh. Calls only work as locator mostly, just because of the amount of marsh. Also you won't make it here without a thermacell!

21-May-13
Mid Nov..... that'll be tough with the whiteail rut going on. But I am up for that.

21-May-13
I pretty much agree with everything that Junior says.

A couple of things; Muddy Marsh tends to book a year in advance for the prime times. They do a lot of repeat business.

I don't agree that mid Nov is a good time for MD sika. I would not give up the whitetail rut for sika in mid Nov. I would suggest Jan instead. The problem with Jan is that if you hit the middle of a long cold snap, you probably won't see much. If you hit the start of a warm snap, you could have sika out all over the place.

Sika don't pattern like whitetail. Their movements seem almost totally random. And yes, they can be nocturnal, but I have often seen them in the middle of the day.

Muddy Marsh during prime times is about the closest that you will get to a good chance. But if you DIY, you could be enjoying the swamp.

21-May-13
Mule, I PMed you.

22-May-13
Two Barr.. those sika are fun to hunt! Nothing like hearing one sound off 20 yards from you! The rut peak is a couple week window. I have heard them tearing it up first week of Oct. Thats also when I get the most day light pics.Got to MM website and look at the trail pics, notice the date/times. The sanctuary deal works the best, and the bigger the feeder the better. Start baiting early july, careful to not leave much scent. I like to bait up during or right before a rain. My feeder will hold enough to last 3 weeks, so I try and time it to run out a week after opening day. Then when we hunt, no quads are involved. We found out they knew what was up, even parking 500 yards away. Old stags are hard to get, and I am sure most would agree. There are plenty out there that would smash the MD. record book, they just don't show up during daylight.

22-May-13
Mule Power, I didn't say mid Nov. is peak rut, its 3r week oct. Give TJ a call, he is kinda hard to get ahold of, but leave a message and he will get back with you. Those guys are top shelf and there spots are archery only!

23-May-13
Mule Power I called them 3 times, emailed over a month ago with no call back or email back so I went somewhere else. GOOD LUCK with them.

23-May-13
They are free ranging in VA too. Also in FLA. MD, VA and FLA all left from when the early settlers brought them here. Tough hunt due to access and thick cover.... and watch for snakes. Little elk cool to hear them roar. Good eating.

24-May-13
Don't feel bad, they have never returned any of my calls either.

24-May-13
Guys I think that maybe the reason they haven't called you back is that they are booked for the year.

I have some space available in my Hunt at Muddy Marsh and am hoping to get a few BowSiters. Mid November, let me know if you are interested.

24-May-13
Ace pm me details if you still have a spot left - I want in if I can pull the time off work!

24-May-13
That's not a good reason to not call back IMO. never called me back last year either. Mid November I will be in IL. Thanks for the invite though!

25-May-13
I am not taking up for them, but a couple things to know about muddy marsh. They started this for fun, and they have regular jobs just like us all. I know for a fact they never dreamed to be outfitting for the likes of Jim Shokey, or the other 100,000 guys that have called to book hunts..lol The internet is for sure a double edge sword advertising. Maybe they should let guys know they are booked via voicemail! LOL Kinda funny knowing these guys...

19-Nov-13
I spent 3 days at Muddy Marsh last week. Shared some great company, a lot of laughs and the women did well, us men ... not so much.

I did see several Hinds and decided not to shoot, and late on the last night I saw a beautiful 6 point Stag, that was so wired he never gave me a shot. He stood there on full alert for maybe 2 or 3 minutes, decided he didn't like the situation and spun and ran. My heart was pounding, and that is what it's all about.

If you are thinking about booking for next year, you better call asap, they fill up almost completely with repeat hunters, but they do have a few dates open.

19-Nov-13

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo
My Girlfriend Lusi with the big spike Sika that she shot at Muddy Marsh. She made a nice shot with her Birthday present Mathews. These little elk really get into your head.

19-Nov-13
Nice Ace. She sure looks like a happy camper. So do we need do dress in women's clothing to kill those darn things? LOL

I ended up being so busy this year I couldn't make the trip over. Some day.....

20-Nov-13
On the ta-do list....

20-Nov-13
Im gonna assume that the pix of that spike WASNT taken where you killed it at muddy marsh.....have never seen rocks that big on any marsh I've hunted down there LOL!!! BTW....the PERFECT eating size Sika there is right there...CONGRATS!!!

20-Nov-13
Yohon, lol, good eyes. We took that Pic after we got home to CT. She shot it at last light and we recovered it in the dark. We waited until we got home to get some good daylight pics.

14-Aug-14
Resurfacing this old thread. Looks like due to some guys who have (or are about to) back out, I will have 2 or possibly 3 slots open for a Sika Hunt at the very end of Sept this year (M, T W hunt.)

Anyone interested in a 3 day hunt in MD?

14-Aug-14

brantman  's embedded Photo
brantman  's embedded Photo
Hey I hunted at muddy marsch last year and it was a blast got a hind and saw sika every day

19-Aug-14
Ace - your driving me nuts! Went last year after you posted an opening - loved it - my wife Nancy killed a tasty fawn and it remains on my bucket list! Wish I did not have to choose between moose and sika!

Save me (us - Nancy will want to come again) a spot next year?

20-Aug-14
You got it Serge!

We really enjoyed hunting with you guys as well.

Next season we will pick some dates that are good for you.

I have had a couple of inquiries on the available spots but no firm commitments.

Here are the particulars: Arrive in Western MD Sun 9/28. Hunt Sept 29, 30, Oct 1. Depart after the afternoon hunt on Wed 10/1.

Cost $225/ day per person X 3 days =$675, in case you're math challenged. License cost is roughly $160. Hunt cost includes a place to stay, the house has a kitchen.

PM me for more info or with questions.

20-Aug-14
On the 'ta do' list for sure....

• Sitka Gear