SteveB 21-Oct-14
Azdogman 22-Oct-14
Musty Bull 22-Oct-14
TD 22-Oct-14
Ermine 23-Oct-14
AZBOW 25-Oct-14
Ermine 25-Oct-14
08-May-13
I've been eyeing a Chugach as (hopefully) a true keep-me-dry solution for wet weather hunting. Now that the Verde camo pattern has been around for a bit and has seen some use, what would you recommend as the better pattern for an all-around wet weather hunting jacket?

It's use would range from western elk in September to eastern gobblers in the green spring of the Midwest, and maybe someday potential for an Alaskan or Canadian hunt.

Although it is not the top of the line set, I simply have not been satisfied with my Cabelas gear that is supposed to be waterproof and breathable. Any and all comments are welcome, even if they don't pertain to the camo pattern itself. Feel free to chime in Jason, if you are reading. Thanks to all.

08-May-13
I got my Chugach (Vias)several weeks ago and have been highly satisfied with its performance and breathability. Only problem is I feel it's a bit "noisy". My Sitka is much more quiet but more bulky & heavy and less breathable. I'm taking the Chugach to Alberta next week since I'm flying and weight & bulk are undesirable. Hopefully some wear may quiet the jacket down some. Verde may be best for the type of hunting you describe

08-May-13
I have the entire lineup of KUIU gear from skin to shell, including the Chugach rain gear. I love it! I like the Vias camo better than the Verde. I live in NJ, in "green" country and the Vias has performed well, with great success. Last year I hunted with it out of a tree stand and on the ground in archery season from September to February. Also hunted in KUIU Vias, in spring turkey season , Manitoba spring bear and in Wyoming for a mule deer/antelope hunt and was successful in each hunt. IMO, KUIU Vias is a great all around pattern. Headed back to Manitoba in a few weeks and Newfoundland for my first moose hunt this fall and KUIU Vias will be with me! Good luck!

08-May-13

08-May-13

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
I think both work well. I imagine not much difference in how they work.

08-May-13
I bought the verde for a New Zealand tahr hunt I leave for next week. Jason was a great help when making my purchase. You could email him directly via the kuiu website.

08-May-13
Personally I like the more open patterns, vias being the more open of the two. It's a good pattern, I don't have the rain gear but have a base layer quarter zip shirt in vias I like a lot.

Much prefer more open patterns such as predator, cabelas outfitter, etc. over the mossytree stuff, ASAT being my favorite. But vias is pretty good as well.

08-May-13
Thanks for the replies so far. Were all members of the crew wearing Vias KUIU in that photo Justin?

I know this has been asked before, but I thought at the time Verde was pretty new, so I wanted to see if time and use had changed any opinions. Anyone from the evening crew have anything to add?

08-May-13
Vias... Personally, I do not like the verde pattern at all. I wish they had used the same pattern as Vias, only added the green. Looks too much like the digital crap I have to wear everyday :)

08-May-13
Vias

08-May-13
Vias+++

08-May-13
Verde

08-May-13
I was at kuiu today and have both patterns. The verde looks like it will work good for heavier cover hunts and I like the vias in the mountains.. Think it's personal preference. Don't think you can go wrong. I haven't used the verde yet but plan too next week bear hunting.

08-May-13
Like Nick says the verde is too much like the military stuff. And the military is trying other stuff out right now for a multi million dollar contract. The digital camo in the colors our troops use are simply not the best one out there. I have seen some stuff that guys have came back with from Afghanistan and they are using some sort of a dirty looking camo that they like. Not sure if it is a Kryptek camo or not. But as far as KUIU I like the VIAS. It works. Maybe they could have built a pattern built off of that but put in a few green variations and different variations of the green it might be better than the one they offer.Bob.

10-May-13
Well it looks like Vias is the winner of this poll. I'm not sure you can really go wrong, but I'll probably be looking at getting this piece sometime here over the next month or two, likely in Vias; if available.

Thanks again for all the replies.

10-May-13
vias is a good choice! thats what all my kuiu gear is

10-May-13
I too have an entire set of Kuiu in Vias, minus the rain gear. Too pricy for me for occasional showers type of areas I hunt in. I pack Cabelas Space Rain Gear for that. Super small and light, and works good. Rip a hole in it and duck tape has it good as new until you can patch it.

I will say for Alaska good rain gear is a must, but I have HH Impertech for areas like Kodiak.

Agreed with the above comments as well on Verde looking too much like army issued camo. I LOVE the Vias pattern.

10-May-13
I own both but I do like the "looks" of the verde better so I guess I'm in the minority. Regardless of looks in all practicality both are fairly open patterns and if I were hunting darker terrain I'd choose the verde and would go with vias for lighter colored terrain. Given that most open country areas hunted are a mix I doubt it matters much to be honest. If wore the verde in lighter colored, more open terrain I highly doubt the animals could tell the difference or that they'd be upset by the digital pattern.... Based on experience the Optifade pattern on Sitka Gear is one of the best I've seen or used for open terrain but I do prefer the KUIU line and no longer purchase Sitka.

10-May-13
Interesting debate, I guess I could be a bit of a fanboy, but also quick to criticize when I feel they go astray. I really did not like the verde much when it was introduced. That said I have bought several items in verde, and was actually disappointed when the boonie hat was not offered in verde. I think if i had to choose one over the other, I would probably give the verde a slight advantage for my general use (keep in mind I am a midwest guy with limited/moderate western use). If I was a sheep hunter, or die hard core western guy I think the vias would definitely be my first choice.

All that said, i would have much preferred to see a modified vias pattern to include some green aspects instead of the completely different pattern that verde is. That is my 2 cents, for whatever that is worth (probably not 2 cents).

--Jim

21-Oct-14

21-Oct-14
Verde by a long shot. Vias is just uncool :)

22-Oct-14
Verde

22-Oct-14
Vias is way Cool

22-Oct-14
Verde makes me dizzy just looking at it.... besides... when I model it for Coach she says it makes my butt look big....

turnabout fair play I guess....

23-Oct-14
The verde does look good to me. Vias is good too. Tough call.

25-Oct-14
I was glassing for Coues deer one morning and spotted a hunter sitting down in a small opening also classing about 3/4 of a mile away. He wasn't in a prominent high spot or ridge top, but he really stood out. He was wearing a Vias jacket with a hood on and his back to me. That incident helped make my decision to get a Verde down jacket instead of Vias.

25-Oct-14
Hmm that's interesting observations forsure.

• Sitka Gear