Genesis 27-Jul-15
WV Mountaineer 27-Jul-15
Bowfreak 28-Jul-15
bige204 29-Jul-15
Mountain sheep 29-Jul-15
13-Jul-13

Jim in Ohio's embedded Photo
Here are some real tough bowhunter. These Amish boys in their early 20's hired a driver, drove to Colorado to go bowhunting Elk.

This was an unguided trip. They packed in on their own far from the heavily hunted areas. Then they packed in farther carrying one man tents to stay over night.

All 4 killed these massive elk with bows. Everything had to be packed out on their backs. Even when I was young I would have hesitated to do this.

13-Jul-13

13-Jul-13

13-Jul-13

13-Jul-13
My wife is from Amish country in Western PA so I've met a few of these folks along the way. No strangers to hard work that's for sure.. most really love to hunt.

BTW, anybody who comes to the high country from the lowlands and hunts like this gets a lot of respect from me. It's not easy to acclimate, even when you live here it takes a lot of drive to pull it off. (Wish I was 20 again... ;-) Edit: don't have to be 20 to do this tho' there's at least a few 60 year olds on this site who can still do it...

13-Jul-13
(Jeremiah and Del are parting company)

Jeremiah Johnson: You'll do well, Del; providing you don't get into trouble with all that hair.

Del Gue: Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

13-Jul-13
I have a friend that drives some Amish hunters from Delaware to Wyoming to hunt Mule deer. When they get back the families all get together and can mule deer meat. They don't have freezers.

I have another friend that took an Amish father and his 14 year old daughter from Delaware to West Virginia to hunt deer. He said he couldn't believe his eyes when the girl climbed 40 feet up a tree with her 243. She was wearing a long dress. She killed a nice buck. He said is was really cold so the next day she wore pants underneath her dress. He said the girl knew how to field dress deer and would make some hunter a great wife.

14-Jul-13
They are a people that has not been spoiled with conveniences. What I mean is they do what they do because they don't know you can't do that. God Bless

14-Jul-13
I have never seen an Amish person wearing camo...

14-Jul-13
They do wear camo and but some of it is home made.

15-Jul-13
Jim in Ohio - Do you know these guys personally? All the Amish in this area are not allowed to wear those types of hats/caps, or camo. And they are not allowed to have their pictures taken. Also........how did they get 4 big bulls packed out when they were "far from" the hunting pressure. I also don't see any weapon, bow or rifle in the pics.

Sorry to be questioning.....it just seems a bit unbelievable that 4 inexperienced Amish guys can kill 4 big bulls like that on an unguided hunt.

15-Jul-13
There are more than a handful of tough bowhunters that are regulars on this site! You can take that to the bank! And there are different ways to be tough too!

Have a great bowhunt. BB

15-Jul-13
Is that not the way all backpack hunts are or am I missing something?

15-Jul-13
Is that not the way all backpack hunts are or am I missing something?

15-Jul-13
I met a couple young Amish kids at the trail heaed one year,and they were carrying packs, that I thought may have weighed as much as they did....I asked if I could take a picture fo their packs, while they were wearing them, and they said they couldn't have their picture taken...

Everybody has their breaking point.

15-Jul-13
Did they use compounds?

15-Jul-13
Did they take their own "heater's"?

15-Jul-13
Four great bulls, for sure, especially for four guys who know nothing about elk, totally DIY, wilderness place they'd never scouted, knowing nothing about hunting elk or calling, outfitted with super-modern equipment.

Jim in Ohio, do you know these guys personally, or get it in an email thread?

This reminds me of that sturgeon photo that keeps circulating around on the 'net.

15-Jul-13
Modern camo, plastic bags over the skulls...

They're goin to Hell

15-Jul-13
I was sheep hunting last year in the Weminuche and we backpacked in 9 miles and set up camp there were four amished that had killed a couple bulls on pass us a couple miles and this is some real tough country, we heard later that they had all four killed, might be the same guys. All it takes is desire and guts.

15-Jul-13
Did you get this in an email? Or do you know these men personally?

15-Jul-13
We have a thread full of guys that doubt it because the haven't done it. Not knocking the validity of it or the one asking questions. Just starting to get the idea that people tend to judge what's possible by their definitions and apply it to everyone.

If they hunt like they work, I would expect this to be the norm for most any Amish person who desired to do it. Just my .02 worth. God Bless

15-Jul-13
Meat Packed in ice from a frozen lake, too!

15-Jul-13
I guess I missed something, where did it say they were inexperienced and their first trip out there or even the first elk hunt they had ever been on. I have packed a bunch of elk out on our backs from pretty far back in most often with my brother and it can be done, sometimes it hurts but you get it done and enjoy the memories forever. You just have to want it.

15-Jul-13
Nice bulls.

15-Jul-13
Differing Amish communities have different rules.....some allow camo, some do not....some even have phones.....depends on how progressive their particular sect is....

My local archery shop is operated by Amish.....

15-Jul-13
Nice bulls

If they are really tough bowhunters, they should be able to do it again right?

4 for 4.... Im smelling something...

Who took the pic?

15-Jul-13
Wow, most of their gear can only be bought on the internet. Wonder how they pull that off? Do they have someone drive them around to the stores out west during the spring and do comparative shoping? $330 boots and $300 - $700 packs. Or is there a store where they are from that has all this gear in a one stop shop? I call BS on the Omish.

15-Jul-13
Cool story, would be interested to hear the rest. I ran into some Amish guys this year who were in camo. Old camo, but camo none the less.

15-Jul-13
Not doubting it because "I haven't done it", because I have (except for the Amish part..). But we had vehicles, could scout beforehand, knew the area, and knew bowhunting for elk.

Just questioning it because the story sounds fishy - some guys from the east, early '20s, don't have a vehicle so had to hire someone to drive them out here, obviously VERY inexperienced elk hunters - no way around that unless they are Amish from Montana, in which case why did they come to CO?. Can't scout from Google Earth (computers and all) so have to rely on topo maps, going in blind to someplace they've never been before, never scouted unless they hired somebody to drive them out to scout.

did the guy who drove them wait around all week? Or did they take the Greyhound home from the trailhead?

I want it to be true. Just cynical because of so many internet stories these days that turn out to be far from the actual story.

Jim, more details, please?

15-Jul-13
I don't believe it .... the internet has made me very leery of stories like this

15-Jul-13
"Differing Amish communities have different rules.....some allow camo, some do not....some even have phones.....depends on how progressive their particular sect is...."

Isn't "progressive Amish" an oxymoron?

What fun is it being Amish if you get cell phones? Everyone I know not having a cell would be the only perk for me being Amish...

15-Jul-13
Never mind - the "driver" may have been along on the backpack adventure to take the photos. Maybe he wasn't a hunter? Maybe he's the short little blond kid in the "pack-out" photo packing the bow and a rack, but who isn't in the hero-shot?

Really, I want to believe it's true....

15-Jul-13
Now that I look at it more, The four bulls being packed out and the four pictured do not look the same.

15-Jul-13
Please explain the conehead hats in the third photo...are these the plastic bags mentioned above? What's the purpose, just stylish home-made rain hats?

15-Jul-13
^^ They are plastic bags placed on the elk heads not the hunters.

15-Jul-13
Looks like these four guys wanted to do it [their] way. They stepped out of [their] religion to do a hunt [their] way.Just because we were not around to see it does not count.They had good luck doing it, their way. So if we are lucky when we do it [our] way will all on-lookers cry foul? From what I see Great Hunt.

15-Jul-13
I call bs when I see bs...this is bs

15-Jul-13
I call bs when I see bs...this is bs

15-Jul-13
"I call bs when I see bs...this is bs"

It must be very awkward for you to look into mirrors then?

15-Jul-13
I doubt most anything I see or read on the internet, its just a natural reflex.

I sure get a kick out of this stuff! LOL

15-Jul-13
I visited with 4 Amish men about that age in Steamboat last september. They had rented a van and hired a driver. Nice guys.

15-Jul-13
Four Amish guys deep in the Weminuche, another four near Steamboat?

Seems like you can't swing a dead cat anymore without hitting a group of four Amish guys with hired drivers in CO during bow season!

I'd still like to hear more details about this story.

15-Jul-13
In camo and no beards--where are their hats?

Is That stereotypical?

Good luck, Robb

15-Jul-13
I have lived with and around the Amish in Ohio all of my life. I have yet to meet 1 and I mean one who could pull this off. Most can't own power equipment, yet rent, lease or borrow tractors. Can't have electricity yet own cell phones etc. etc.

Modern bows, or more like crossbow is the norm here, but they still wear the plain blue pants and shirt. Wear the hat. They would only grow beards if they are married so that is out the window except most are married by their late teens, early 20's.

I am with Jaq, I want to believe but don't.

15-Jul-13
I grew up in the PA Dutch (Amish) country and knew many Amish families. Like Jake said, there are many different sects with differing rules. Also, they are encouraged to try "modern" things while they are young and before devoting their life to the Amish religion.

I go to an outdoor show every year in the Lehigh valley and see Amish there often carrying their compound bows.

Also, the Cabelas of Hamburg, PA is not far. I see Amish in there buying stuff all the time. THey grow tobacco and other cash crops, so they can buy things they need.

15-Jul-13
We have Amish people south of here there are some that have horse and buggy and use horses still to farm and have no electricity also a group that drive new tractors with cabs and can talk on the phone and have elect. in the house. I dont know why someone you see on the trail back in the wilderness would claim to be Amish if they were not. They were outfitted with all the best gear. Everyone has their own thought on this but I have no reason to doubt them. Is the picture of them the same hunters we seen in the wilderness ,dont know but the kids we saw were for sure hard core hunters.

15-Jul-13
Now Im interested...you see, you cant pack that far into the Nuche and get away from the crowds without being in unit 76...go in above Pagosa, and four miles in youre in unit 76...go in above Bayfield and Vallecito, and within five miles youre in unit 76... Yessir, the Nuche is big, and the lower parts are hunted hard, very hard with multipe outfitters from Pagosa, Bayfield, and Durango. So, if the Nuche was and is in their story, a lot of questions come to mind!!

15-Jul-13
Whoever these guys are, and whatever their backgrounds are, CONGRATULATIONS!!

-Joe

15-Jul-13

15-Jul-13
Nice bulls. I'm just not seeing the massive part though. Darn iPhone!

15-Jul-13
If TurkeyBowMaster is so skeptical that he had to post it twice...oh, wait...

I hope the story is true, because it's awesome!

15-Jul-13
Awesome with a Heapin side of awesome!

16-Jul-13
Wow! This thread is awesome! Unbelievably awesome!

"Conehead hats"... "swing a dead cat".... "heapin side of awesome"... and 3 "bs" in one sentence, double posted... Money!

16-Jul-13
nice pair of bino's on the one "Amish" guy

16-Jul-13
I would believe that walking 10 miles for them "Amish" with a loaded pack would be nothing. They walk and work hard 6-8 days a week. Today everyone is soft, everything is easy and quick. Myself included, need to toughen up and get after it. Its great that they are hunting out west for Elk.

16-Jul-13
This all said, all of these guys had to pack out an elk a piece.

How many trips would they have to make?

Each trip equates to 20 miles not ten so does that equate to one trip a day or two? I doubt two!

So is it 3 trips for 3 days or 3 trips for three days?

When does meat spoilage become an issue in September? I would think 5 days at this time of year.

I have not packed an this distance but I did pack one three miles and was challenged to not lose the meat.

These guys look fresh and I assume they are taking their elk heads out last load.

Realistically I am not saying they did not, could not, or would not but the math is perplexing.

Maybe some of you western guys who have greater experience packing elk out could shed some light on this topic as as the logistics are concerned.

This of course is not using horses or wheeled systems.

Bottom line, some of you ultra athletes consider the max distance to attempt this with all the logistics involved.

Ok, Elk Reaper, Seacat, Cameron Haines, and other manimal like types what do you think?

16-Jul-13
I would like to hear more details from JIM IN OHIO! ;-)

16-Jul-13
My favorite part is how there is a guy to mention unnamed going on this site trying to trumpet up his own fame and then when some other guys undeserved or not get a little bit of fame via the proper methods (that being from OTHER people) who is the first to call bs?

As if it can't be done?

16-Jul-13

Jaquomo_feral's embedded Photo
Jaquomo_feral's embedded Photo
Some Amish farmers took a day off from building Amish Miracle Heaters and went bluegill fishing in a small local farm pond in Pennsylvania. They used handmade wooden poles with line braided from hair from the tails of their work horses.

Imagine their surprise when they hooked and landed this giant sturgeon, the largest freshwater fish ever landed by a human. Took them six days and nights to wrestle it to shore, and while the battle was on, Amish women from far and wide brought them fresh-baked bread and Shepherd Pies to keep up their strength.

16-Jul-13
Where are their beards and black hats? I'm skeptical I call bs! But this is awesome! Did they have a sturgeon tag or was it catch and release?

16-Jul-13
who ever these Bowhunters are they are indeed tough, and lucky, very lucky

16-Jul-13
Seriously Jaq? Losing a lot of respect for people on this thread. They did it or they didn't, who gives an eff? It doesn't change your life one bit, so move on already.

16-Jul-13
Those guys caught the sturgeon, too. By the time it went around the web, it happened in about 30 different states, with 30 different stories. That's my point.

Four guys killed four nice bulls. Just want to know more info about the story, since the whole Amish, DIY thing sounds a little "interesting".

If you aren't curious about this and take it at face value, then move along. Really, the Amish sturgeon story is true. I saw it on the 'net.

16-Jul-13
I grew up in Ohio and around ALOT of Amish folks.....they have fancy bows, guns, etc, etc, etc.....their equipment is not against their religion. One of the better bow shops sells top of the line equipment but has gas "lights" still. There are alot of different groups with alot of different beliefs on what is allowed, so I wouldn't say it's false based purely on the looks of the guys.

With their work ethic and often times "extra" money....they could do pretty much anything. Killing 4 bulls without any experience/knowledge of the area seems like a HUGE challenge....but not 100% impossible is what I am saying.

16-Jul-13
"Get the net"! (I suspect the internet has hooked another one)

I would like to believe it, but doubt the details.

I beleive 4 guys had a great elk hunt. Past that, not much more.

How many of us have seen the story of the mtn lion captured on trailcam two counties over that was killing horses (And the poster lives in Kentucky)? Or the large kodiak bear that weighed over 1800 pounds and was eating deer as appetizers? (That bear has been killed in more states and provinces than quaker has oats)

16-Jul-13

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Wonder if this Sturgeon story is true? I guess some guy in Idaho caught it with two buddies of his, 2 hours to reel in... Only 30 lb test line. I tell you what, neither of them are Amish though.

16-Jul-13
Nick, what's funny about the internet sturgeon story above is that it supposedly took those 8 guys 6.5 hours to land the fish, taking turns fighting the brute, plus four cases of beer, and it was 11.5 feet long. Supposedly "the largest freshwater fish ever landed".

I landed a 12 footer and a 10 footer by myself in the same morning on the Columbia, with no beer.

And I'm not Amish either!

16-Jul-13
We have had 6-7 footers take a few hours and then we have had 9-10 footers take only 30 minutes. I think it all depends on the fish and the location (rocks, sand, deep water, etc.). The longest we have fought a fish has been about 3 hours and it was a 9 1/2 footer. But a few of the guys have said they have fought fish for 4-5 hours and never landed them, they just take off... Who knows, but I can tell you what, that fish in the picture you posted would have been no "treat", especially without beer :)

16-Jul-13
Jaq, Is that Mossback fish guiding service?

16-Jul-13
Midwest, LOL, it DOES look like a Mossback hero shot, for sure!

Nick, the 12 footer I caught looked like Buick when he jumped right beside the boat. I'd already landed the 10 footer after a 90 minute fight and was about 30 minutes into this one, not sure I was up for a second one as big as the first, and then saw that thing fly up over my head.

That one took two hours. After that I was done. Let my wife reel in an 8 footer (she fought the 10 footer for awhile to see what it was like..). We could barely scrape ourselves out of bed the next morning!

16-Jul-13
I seem to remember seeing this pic on AT awhile back.

But who knows...........We need Jim to come back and provide more details.

16-Jul-13
You think a story about 4 Amish guys from PA who killed 4 elk is impressive?

How bout the one about the Jewish guy from Long Island who read the story about 4 Amish guys from PA who killed 4 elk, shrugged his shoulders and said "meh."

Now there's a hum dinger!

17-Jul-13
Last September, there were a group of 6 Amish lads and one driver that hunted unguided in the area of my drop camp. They had been there for three weeks before I got there the last week of the season. The driver came strolling along right through our camp area on a hiking trip. He said the other six had killed 5 bulls.

I later ran into a couple of them as they were packing out. They shot compound bows and was really surprised my hunting partner and I were shooting a recurve and a longbow. How ironic. They told me about one bull they killed at 89 steps.

I did learn something about those Amish boys that I had only heard about.....they camped and hunted nearly all season long in several locations in the wilderness without a required permit and they left plenty of trash as they departed their campsite.

The pictures above could be the same guys.

17-Jul-13
Apparently it's not the wolves that are devastating our elk herds....it's the Amish!

17-Jul-13
Outfitter told me those Amish were down on 2nd Meadows of Elk Creek. They must've had the S. Fork of the Conejos wrapped up too.

17-Jul-13
brother hezekiah?

17-Jul-13
BowCrossSkin - "They walk and work hard 6-8 days a week."

Amish or not, that is impressive!

17-Jul-13
LOL! :)

17-Jul-13
Regardless it appears four young guys killed 4 nice bulls on the same hunt. I don't care if they are Amish or Scientologists, they beat some very long odds.

Even if these guys were local guides out west somewhere its still a heck of an accomplishment. Success on bulls is around 10% in CO and that includes a ton of 4 and 5 point raghorns. It also includes the guys that are fantastic elk hunters who tag one almost every year.

18-Jul-13
Jaq, sturgeon are trash fish !!!

18-Jul-13
Well said Glunk.

18-Jul-13
Jim in Ohio - We are all still waiting to hear where you got these pictures or if you know any more about the story.

Glunk - For all we know, they could've shot 4 bulls in a 1,000 acre high fence.

I just don't trust the internet and random photos anymore.

18-Jul-13
This is nothing new on Bowsite and annoys me a bit. Someone starts a thread and must see that there are comments or questions about it and the person just dissapears. The originator of this thread msut see that there are questions about this story and if he has any more info he could let us know, and if he doesn't so be it.

18-Jul-13
TBM has reemerged as "Weatherbyjim"!!

18-Jul-13
Who the hell is Glunk?

18-Jul-13
In all my many years of guiding elk hunters my Amish clients are some of the best hunters. They do a lot of hunting at home and on western hunts. Many of them hunt most every year on the over the counter tags in Colorado when they don't get drawn in NM, AZ and other western states. I know many Amish who do this, so the unlimited units in Colorado, more than likley have a lot of Amish hunters there year after year.

Amish folks come in various degrees of being Amish. Many of the younger generation dress like everybody else, smoke drink and live life to its fullest. One of my main Amish guys from Indiana doesn't drive a regular vehicle so he has one of his kids whom do drive bring him out to hunt. He doesn't want his picture put on my website or brochures. He wears regular cammo. He is the pastor of about 30 Amish families in his community.

Most modern Amish work on the outside now days and the old strict Amish farmers don't have enough farm land to support most of their family.

The young Amish guys in this thread must be of the more liberal side of the Amish religion because they have their pictures taken and are wearing cammo and etc.

I think they are authentic and no doubt were not only good hunters but had a tremendous run of luck to tag out on four bulls. Hell that makes me look bad, beaus on a good year on our fully guided hunts we only run 66% kill rate. Last year I had three Amish archery hunters and they killed one bull and stuck two more that got away.

To pack out all of the four bulls on their backs, when one kills they usually all stop hunting and help their buddy pack out his bull. It is very possible especially if they had three weeks to hunt. If they shot all four bulls in one or two days then they had to be very busy to get all the meat out before it spoiled and take care of the capes. Maybe they weren't mounting them?

I say it is more than likely a true story, but would be good if Jim in Ohio would come back and give up a little more information.

18-Jul-13
I meant Glunt, sorry for the typo. Thanks for the insult Jaquomo. Maybe bow site is not for me.

18-Jul-13
The only reason we have any reason to believe this is we all want it to be true, because if it is true, I would be the one on the photo next year. Of all the public land Colorado photos I have neverseen a bull big as the smaller one they killed. U

18-Jul-13

18-Jul-13

18-Jul-13
The only reason we have any reason to believe this is we all want it to be true, because if it is true, I would be the one on the photo next year. Of all the public land Colorado photos I have neverseen a bull big as the smaller one they killed. U

18-Jul-13
Whatever dude...maybe youre hunting in the wrong area!!

19-Jul-13
Somehow I just can't get Randy Quaid in Kingpin out of my mind.....

19-Jul-13
Woody Harrelson WAS the driver they hired!

19-Jul-13
TBM. . . you haven't watched the annual Bowsite elk meat pole thread then, beceause there are quite often multiple big bulls on it from CO public land.

I don't doubt 4 Amish dudes could go to CO and kill some elk. With enough time, I don't even doubt they could kill 4 bulls.

My only issue with the whole thread, is it's about halfway insulting to a lot of the resident Bowsite backpack hunters, who backpack in several miles, every year.

You want to see some real tough bowhunters Jim, hang around on the bowsite forums and read more of the threads about elk and mulie hunters, sheep, moose, goats, etc. There are a lot of guys on this very site, who are tougher than nails

Bake

19-Jul-13
Let me tell you guys a story about our experience with the Amish and our hunting area. They moved in about 5 or 6 years ago and the hunting hasn't been nearly the same since. I used to think that we were the only hunters who hunted hard and gave it our all. Well these guys, and there were 8 or 10 of them, would hunt in groups of 2 or 3, all day with their camps on their backs.When they ran out of food, they'd just head for their vehicle for more supplies.They had Hi-tech GPSs and when they killed an Elk, they would get on their radios and say "Big bull down" and everybody would meet at the kill site and take care of it. We ran into them no matter where we hunted.We finally decided that the competition was just to much in this drainage and have abandoned it. It is an OTC area and they have every bit as much right to be there as we did, but we also don't have to like it.

Ergie

20-Jul-13
Last time I checked, the Amish and Mennonites will not allow themselves to be photographed because they interpret that as disobeying "Thou shalt not worship any graven image" Also, I think they grow beards after they get married.

20-Jul-13
I take lots of photos of myself with bulls an happen to be Mennonite :)

21-Jul-13
I agree with several posts here. One from TBM says that he has never seen any bulls as big as the smallest from Colorado public land, and to an extent, I do agree. I also have seen bulls from OTC Colorado that were much bigger than the biggest in the pic, BUT, I would doubt very seriously - though I could easily be wrong - that four novice hunters, no matter whether they were Amish, Catholic, or even Baptist, could go into an OTC Colorado area cold, and go four for four. Now, I can't say that it didn't or couldn't happen, just that I would seriously doubt it. I have hunted OTC Colorado, and as everyone here knows, it is know walk in the park. I was actually hoping for more info as well, as I would love to have the chance to hunt that OTC area. Also, I don't believe if this were actually 100 percent true that I could follow behind them and duplicate their success, but I would feel pretty good knowing that they really did it. I guess in a nutshell, I am hoping this is all true as it would give me great hope, but again, I am doubtful.

19-Jul-15

19-Jul-15
Sorry about the blank post. Just saw this old thread an was wondering if these guy are still heading out there?

19-Jul-15
Sorry about the blank post. Just saw this old thread an was wondering if these guy are still heading out there?

19-Jul-15
I can't believe I missed this thread the first go around. Been LMAO reading some of these posts. Good stuff.

"Four Amish guys deep in the Weminuche, another four near Steamboat? Seems like you can't swing a dead cat anymore without hitting a group of four Amish guys with hired drivers in CO during bow season!"

Bwahahahahaha! Crying laughing...

19-Jul-15
Occasionally lurk on here and just noticed this thread. The story actually is true. I know a few of their friends that hunt 751 going in through vallecito. I'm not sure were these guys were hunting but I believe it was in the Weminuche.

19-Jul-15
Tell them congratulations then.

Also, warn them that if they come back, Lou's gonna throw one of his dead cats at them.

19-Jul-15
Occasionally lurk on here and just noticed this thread. The story actually is true. I know a few of their friends that hunt 751 going in through vallecito. I'm not sure were these guys were hunting but I believe it was in the Weminuche.

20-Jul-15
Getting my dead cat supply ready for this coming season. Try as I might, I still can't find any Amish bowhunters with a camp full of nice bulls.

;-)

20-Jul-15
All I can say is that vehicle they drove home in must of looked impressive with all that horn tied down on top.

20-Jul-15

LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
Hmmm. Lou's accomplice?? ;)

20-Jul-15
I live in a county which has a large population of Amish. Ohio has the largest population of Amish of any state. For years I employed several Amish men. Half the furniture in my home is made by Amish. I love Amish vegetables.... :)

I've talked a lot of hunting with Amish guys over the years. I've personally witnessed the lengths they'll go to when hunting. Basically, the majority of them will walk a normal 9-5 guy into the dust. Most have the patience of Job and the determination of a mule. Life outdoors and hardship is an everyday thing to most Amish men. I also have talked to many who've hired drivers (common practice) to haul them thousands of miles for hunts, weddings, and anything else they want to do.

As for pictures and camo and such: There are many different Amish groups or 'orders' in the US. They all have their peculiarities and limits. Some are extraordinarily conservative while others might be more liberal in application of their limits. Some are downright rogues and move away from the order. They refuse to adhere to a community's social structure or requirements and can't stay there without huge problems. Then you have Mennonites who appear to be Amish but are not. The various sects, orders, communities, groups and families are hard for most non-Amish to comprehend. I'm willing to bet an Amish man has read this thread at some point and had a good laugh!

I have no knowledge of the 4 men/4 bulls, nor do I know the op. I could opinionate on whether I think it happened, but nobody would care. I will say that if 4 young guys were gonna go do it, I wouldn't be betting against the Amish. They have a way of accomplishing things that most of us wouldn't attempt. I recall seeing 7 mature whitetails killed in the first 2 days of shotgun season by one Amish family. 4 were very nice bucks. All the deer meat was smoked or canned, and they did it all in short time. It was darned good too...I ate some of it. They were guys who worked for me.

20-Jul-15
"You know a few of there friends" great! Have one of them take a picture of those four racks hanging on the barn that will quiet the doubters

20-Jul-15
You lost me at 4 rookies going 4 for 4 on big bulls in Co OTC.....

20-Jul-15
Awesome!

20-Jul-15
Kevin Bacon was in a movie with a guy who was in a movie with another guy who was once in a movie that had a guy on the lighting crew whose sister had a friend who knew the driver.

True story.

20-Jul-15
Them amish mafia are tough lol

20-Jul-15
Somebody killed some nice elk and it does look like Colorado, that's about all I can say for sure. The shorter blond haired guy is not in the first picture and I can't say for sure that those are the same elk. The first picture looks like three 6x6's and one 5x5. The next one appears to be all 5x5's, but the definition on my computer is not that good so I can't be sure. None of this means it's not some young Amish guys, but there does appear to be some discrepancy in the photos. It would be nice for the thread owner to post again and maybe we would get some more details. It also doesn't say in the original post that they were in an OTC area. It merely states that they walked away from the more heavily hunted areas. All I know is that it makes me anxious for Sept. and I hope to have a bull like that on my back. Good luck to all.

20-Jul-15
I see no weapons and the dead bull laying on the hill dosent look like one they have in the second pic!!!

21-Jul-15
Id like to stick an arrow in that goofy smiling idiot holding that dead cat.

21-Jul-15
misalots, that gal was a veterinarian who shot the supposed feral cat and put the photo on her FB page. She got fired from her vet job and majorly flamed on the World Wide Web over that.

27-Jul-15
Not sure if the 4 guys mentioned above are the one's I encountered but...in Sept. of 2012 I was hunting in the Conejos Canyon Platoro area when I walked up on a group of Amish guys that supposedly killed 5 bulls. I talked with them as they were packing up camp and leaving. They were packing meat out but I didn't see all five bulls. I also taked to the guy who said he was their driver.

I know for sure they killed something and I also know for sure that they left a ton of trash behind in their campsite without any concern whatsoever. Just sayin.

27-Jul-15
I Don't know what it is like in Montana anymore but when I was in High School they where Menonites! ( not Amish but similar) Also They were the largest group of single land owners in the state. They do drink and smoke but they cannot buy it so they work deals to trade a hog for a pig roast for some of the little bit of bad things like liquor and tobacco. They also own very big tractors and drive trucks. I always liked them and they are probably better off because of there ways. No outside influence just what is right and wrong within there own community. Bob.

27-Jul-15
"Amish" is often a misused term to describe Mennonite,German Baptists etc.All have a differing Church Order that affects their culture.Most can work my butt into the ground!

27-Jul-15
That goofy smiling idiot is cute though isn't she. :^) Pretty good shot too.

28-Jul-15
That photo could also be referred to as the "TD pin up girl." LOL!

29-Jul-15

bige204's Link
Maybe they are Hutterites? Allowed to drive and own vehicles. Kind of like a "modernized Amish" or Mennonite, even more modernized. All different sects of the same religion. Either way, 4 good bulls but the dust.

29-Jul-15
Just here for the entertainment.....

• Sitka Gear