kota-man 27-Mar-14
Nick Muche 27-Mar-14
kota-man 27-Mar-14
kota-man 27-Mar-14
TD 27-Mar-14
kota-man 17-Sep-14
Florida Mike 17-Sep-14
22-Aug-13
Thought I'd do a "sequel" to my thread last year. (Boots: Two Years Worth)...This year I went in search of the perfect pack for my needs. I was looking for a pack to do Outfitted Mountain Hunts. For my needs a 4500-5500 ci pack is about perfect. Here's what I bought/tried and ended up with:

*Kifaru UL 3700 w/Long Pockets: Total weight of my set up was right around 3.5 lbs. Capacity 5100 CI plus used a pod attached for sleeping bag. Used this on a couple Mountain Hunts. The first being a Mountain Goat hunt, the second being a Mountain Caribou hunt. This set up is awesome for what it is. The only thing suspect with the Kifaru UL packs are the durablity of the fabric. Just carrying my bow was wearing a spot thin on the pack. This pack carried weight incredible for how light weight it was. Ended up selling the pack for something more durable. Kifaru no longer makes the UL packs and I'm guessing it has something to do with the durablity.

*KUIU 6000 Gen 2 - As much as I wanted to like this pack, I just can't get it to stay on my hips with a load. 50 lbs. felt like 75. Just don't think I am a carbon fiber frame kind of guy. Sold it after a few hikes.

*Kifaru T2 - Total weight of this setup was a hair over 6 lbs. with a capacity of around 6000 CI with my set up. This pack fits me like a glove. Carries weight that feels like half of what it actually is. VERY solid, could very well be the perfect pack for me.

*Kifaru Bikini T2 - Total weight of this setup was just over 5 lbs. with a capacity of around 6400 ci with my set up. I like this pack but to me it is not nearly as stable as the regular T2 but that is to be expected due to the lighter more flexible frame. The pack is very versatile with the ability to add several different bag combinations. I used this pack on a Brooks Range Sheep Hunt and the pack performed flawlessly. If I wasn't such a huge fan of the regular T2, this one would be my pack.

*KUIU 5200 (2013 Version) - I couldn't get over the looks of this pack and its layout, so I thought I'd give it another try. Same results of the earlier version. Couldn't keep it on my hips with a load and 50 lbs. felt like 75. However, the waistbelt is an improvement over earlier versions. Sent it back to KUIU after one hike.

*Mystery Ranch Metcalf - Since this pack came out it has intriqued me. Total weight of my setup is around 7.0 lbs. with a capacity of 4500 ci with the NICE lid. This pack continues to grow on me with each use. The pack is a bit heavier than the T2 and doesn't carry a heavy load as well but it is not bad either.

In summary, the Kifaru T2 is about as perfect as a pack can be for my needs. I really can't imagine someone trying on loaded T2 and a loaded KUIU pack and picking the KUIU. (or Metcalf for that matter) The T2 has great pocket layouts and carries a load like a dream. It also works great as a daypack as it sinches down to nothing.

For now, I am still trying the Metcalf but in now way will it replace my T2.

All of the packs I tried are great packs but for me the Kifaru T2 was head and shoulders above the rest of the field in just about every category.

Don't feel bad if I didn't like your pack. That is why we have choices.

22-Aug-13
I will add, in addtion to the packs listed above, I've also been running three different Daypacks throughout the last year: A Tenzing TZ1250, a Mystery Ranch Dragonslayer and a KUIU 1850.

All three of these make great daypacks for different needs and would have a hard time picking one. If I had to pick just one today it would probably be the KUIU 1850. For now, I will continue to use all three.

22-Aug-13
Thanks for the field reports. Good stuff.

Was this the regular T2 or the duplex? The regular T2 is a "stiffer/stronger" frame than the Bikini?

22-Aug-13
I've had a similar experience in regards to the T2 and the Bikini T2. For me, I also believe the regular T2 is the cats meow but I'm going to use the Bikini just a few more times to make sure!

22-Aug-13
TD...Yes, the regular T2...I think the regular T2 is more "solid" because everything is sewn right to the frame. The Bikini has some "movement". Maybe this is intended, but I don't care for the movement.

Nick...I gave that Bikini a MAJOR workout in the Brooks and even my guide commented that there was a bit of movement he didn't care for. DON'T GET RID OF THAT REGULAR T2!!!! I made that mistake when I ordered the Bikini and had to order another!

23-Aug-13
Did you try a duplex frame Kifaru?

23-Aug-13
No...That is one of the few packs I have not tried and probably won't due to my infatuation with the T2.

The MR Metcalf continues to grow on me. If this thing had more functional load lifters it would definately be a winner. The lifters are just a bit short for me. I've got a couple horseback sheep hunts that I'm gonna try the Metcalf on. The smaller bag should be perfect for a horseback hunt.

24-Aug-13
And I thought I had pack issues..... :-)

If you are inclined to continue the search I would suggest a custom McHale.

24-Aug-13
Without getting too, um, personal.... what is your height/weight?

You're sheep hunting so I'm gonna assume it's fairly hard weight. =D

24-Aug-13
6'2 - 220 (Down from 298 a couple years ago...:)

24-Aug-13
pictures are worth a thousand words do u have in field pics with game and fully loaded .

24-Aug-13
I really like my Kifaru T2. I haven't had a chance to hike much with it but it feels better than any pack I have ever owned. I was torn between the mystery ranch and kifaru. Sure am glad I chose kifaru. Now I just need to add accessories to it! LOL

25-Aug-13
city...I do have pics "in the field" with most of them but too lazy to dig them up now 'cause it is hunting season!!!! Congrats on the deer...

25-Aug-13
I bought an MR Metcalf and love it. In fact, the thing I like best is you can remove the stay extensions when you're in daypack mood. Hated having the height behind my head while hunting... I stow them by the waterbladder pocket and will put them in for meat hauling.

25-Aug-13
gil...I need the stays even in daypack mode. I have an unusually long torso and with a load they are a bit short.

25-Aug-13

Justin Davis's embedded Photo
Kifaru Longhunter Duplex in empty and cinched down.

25-Aug-13

Same pack "loaded"

25-Aug-13

Kifaru Timberline

26-Aug-13
Informative, thx.

I think the Kifaru UL packs was a great idea that worked better in theory than reality. Those packs would barrel bad.

Note that the newer Kifaru stuff is going to the bikini frame that will probably mitigate that issue.

26-Aug-13
How does the Kifaru T2 suspension differ from the Kifaru UL suspension?

26-Aug-13
the packs look just like my army duffle, when filled.

26-Aug-13
To me the UL suspension is/was very much like the Bikini Suspension. The regular T2 Suspension is all sewn in, so I can't say how it compares, but it is much more stable probably due to being sewn/integrated right into the pack.

My KU3700 wasn't too bad as far as "barreling" goes. I can imagine this only gets worse as the pack bag gets bigger. Still plenty of movement with the Bikini frame though.

26-Aug-13

R man- yea the Longhunter is "one big bag." Where as the timberlines have pockets. I like the one big bag approach personally. May look like an army duffle but man do Kifaru packs carry weight comfortably.

The Kifaru KU packs are so awesome!! Alot of guys don't like them it seems. But they carry weight as well as the bikini frame. I know I have and use both!! Only difference between the bikini highcamp I have and the KU 5200 is the material. One has cordura and the other the ultra light material.! Crazy how light the KU packs are thou.

Here is a pic of a KU 5200. I believe they discontinued the KU line cuz they weren't as popular as they originally hoped! But they are a sweet pack. Nothing out there like them.

26-Aug-13

Bikini/ Highcamp

27-Aug-13
Thanks for the review. I agree... love my Timberline 2!

27-Aug-13
Patrick (the guy who owns Kifaru) posted on the Kifaru website that they discontinued the KU packs due to high returns for hole repairs in the fabric. My 5200 has a small hole in it, but it hasn't enlarged with continued use yet. These packs are not even close to waterproof anyway, so a small hole doesn't bother me. I'll probably keep using mine until it's shredded beyond usable. I don't know what barreling means, but I'm able to conform and shape the pack to virtually any type load, with proper use of strapping.

Kotaman thanks for the reviews. I'll have to take a look at the T2 for my next pack, in spite of it adding more than 3 lbs to my empty pack weight.

The pic below was at the end of a long pack-out of a Mt Goat in the KU5200.

27-Aug-13

28-Aug-13
As I understand it durablity was the main issue for discontinuing the KU line. Mine was actually getting a wear spot on it from carrying my bow. I loved the pack, but thought I'd sell it before there was nothing left of it! I actually prefered the KU line to the Bikini Frame.

28-Aug-13
Yes. I have a KU 5200 and love it. I will likely keep it forever! Just a neat pack. I have had no durability issues with mine, but I also don't drag it on the ground and throw it off of cliffs. I guess they had a lot of KU packs returned. A cool pack, but obviously not as bombproof as the cordura packs. Whatever kifaru pack you choose, you can't go wrong in my opinion.

28-Aug-13
+1 Justin

12-Oct-13
Up for request...

12-Oct-13
UPDATE: I'm down to 4 packs and like them all...

Kifaru T2 - My go to pack for backpack hunts. Fits me perfect and can carry a load comfortably all day. My only regret is not getting a T1 even though this thing will hold anything I can carry!

Mystery Ranch Metcalf - Very nice pack. This is the pack I choose to use on horseback hunts. Really like this pack.

Mystery Ranch Dragon Slayer - Great daypack.

KUIU 1850 - Currently my treestand pack. If I had to get rid of one, this is the one that would go. For now it is loaded up with my whitetail hunting stuff.

12-Oct-13
Kota, How do you get by with an 1850 hunting in SD in the winter?

12-Oct-13
I'm in ND... :) And the pack has not seen a winter here yet.

13-Oct-13
All these packs are made out of the loud scratchy material and sound like a dump truck load of gravel when going through brush...don't anyboddy who makes this garbage hunt and realise you have to be quiet.

13-Oct-13
TBM- what model Kifaru do you own?

13-Oct-13
I have a fieldline with polar fleese on the outside but it is about shot.

14-Oct-13

TBM- Sorry but a fieldline is not a Kifaru pack. Not sure what planet your on. But not a kifaru pack. And yes the so called "garbage" are packs carried by many serious hunters.

Here is a pic of a Kifaru Highcamp bag with a Bikini frame

14-Oct-13
Again TBM shows what an idiot he is...... This jackass is a stupid turkey hunter in Alabama who has never left the state acording to him. This topic is informative and has been around for years and you get an ass like TBM talking crap about a $25.00 day pack for deer hunting in the south. Fieldline has no place in the mountains of the north on a serious hunt. JJ

14-Oct-13
Currently I use a Badlands 4500 for 1-2 week trips. I have been thinking about trying something different next year. Can anyone tell me how the Kifaru T2 compares to the Badlands 4500? Thanks,

14-Oct-13
I have come to believe that TBM is the biggest scam on Bowsite! He's sittin' back laughin' about how he's yankin' everybody's chain!!!!!!!!!! ;-) No way he can be for real!

14-Oct-13
TBM is without a doubt a spoof account. Whoever is posting is getting a kick out of getting everyone worked up.

That said, great reviews. I have the Bikini frame with Highcamp bag combo. I love the pack, just can't decide if I like the big bag with pullouts approach or a T1 with pockets integrated approach. I may pick up the T1 bag this winter and test them side by side next fall. I'll have a WY antelope and mule deer tag, AK Moose tag, and MT Elk tag...all DIY all archery with a 7 week window to get it done in. Can't WAIT to put all my gear through the ringer on this one.

14-Oct-13
McCree- Having tried Badlands years ago. I can tell you that the Kifaru T2 will be much more comfortable and carry heavier loads more comfortable than the badlands

14-Oct-13
I love my Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Perfect size pack.

My favorite thing about it is the full length zipper so you can access stuff at the bottom without pulling everything out. This thing was well thought out.

14-Oct-13

TurkeyBowMaster's embedded Photo
This pack has been through it and then some over the past several years. I rebuild the guts with one of the kids bookbags and still get good service out a it. It is quiet...that is the no 1 quality of a good bag. If it ain't quiet, you ain't going to kill anything so what is it worth it will tote the kitchen sink.

14-Oct-13

This pack has been through it and then some over the past several years. I rebuild the guts with one of the kids bookbags and still get good service out a it. It is quiet...that is the no 1 quality of a good bag. If it ain't quiet, you ain't going to kill anything so what is it worth it will tote the kitchen sink.

15-Oct-13
TBM's pack is just big enough to carry the shrooms that cause his hallucinations...

15-Oct-13
Cheesehead Mike, That is the funniest thing I heard!!!!!!! Shrooms....It's whats for dinner in Alabama! TBM.... get a new big boy pack! JJ

16-Oct-13
TBM - do you NOT REALIZE what these guys are using these pack for??

Here's a hint............... ITS NOT FOR WHITETAIL HUNTING!!!!!! or turkey for that matter.

Good grief!!! Use that brain the good Lord gave you and comprehend what these guys are discussing and the application BEFORE POSTING.

I'm convinced more and more you are here to just stir the pot.

16-Oct-13

16-Oct-13
I dont care for ur posts either Nick! PS--- I dont get worked up or even care, I am here to enjoy myself. Speak my mind. JJ

16-Oct-13

16-Oct-13
NO! JJ

16-Oct-13

16-Oct-13
Let's not kill a good thread.

Good info on here.

17-Oct-13

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
Gone "modular", but it takes some trial and error, still dialing it in. When I get the Pod for an MMR tactical duplex frame with cargo panel I'll take a pic of everything put together. Have been playing with it most of the year.

Daypack it's small, flat and very narrow. Although much of it cordura material, in hunting mode it rarely even touches limbs and brush, it's that small. Daypack mode is the frame, top lid (of my own making) 100oz Blackhawk water bladder/w cover, long pocket "kill kit" and cargo panel. Cargo panel rolls up as needed also. Have been using a dry bag for clothing, rain gear and such that the pod is hopefully replacing. (yeah Matt, I'm ditchin' the bright yellow dry bag... sheesh... =D)

MMR duplex is 24" instead of 26, like gil I hate anything much over my shoulders. This is a little over and has been an issue at times (worst is on hands and knees or belly and trying to lift your head and look up....) But it still handles loads very well, for me it's a good compromise. Airline carry-on length is technically 24" as well. =D

It hauls loads well though. Have packed several boned out deer with it so far this year, from 60lb through 70+ loads in total, handled it better than I did...

For quick and fast close hunts the top lid detaches for a lumbar pack (not a "fanny" pack, there is a difference) and all my essentials are at hand. Pack stays in camp or in the truck, ready to go to the kill site when needed. It really is a small little package of essentials that can bulk up as needed and handle more than I can reasonably carry. It's taken some work but very happy with the versatility so far.

For hauling camp, camp gear goes in a "duffel" and the cargo panel carries it well. Pockets, water, etc. can be rearranged and reattached anywhere as needed on the frame or on the panel. Drop the camp "duffel" on site and go hunt. But so far have only done the "duffel" thing on one overnight pack trip into Haleakala Crater (10,000 feet). Worked well loading camp in the "duffel", wasn't a hunting trip so the "kill kit" pocket stayed home. Well the kit did, the pocket will hold a wine bottle and assorted goodies if you stuff em in there just right....

Both me and the pack are still evolving. Next on the list along with the pod is a gen 2 hanging meat bag. The synthetic meat bags are great, super light weight and don't rot out like the cotton ones, but really tend to leak blood a lot and hopefully this will help some.... as well as lending some deboned "meat control".

17-Oct-13
Kota what did you finally come up with for a day pack, and to be able to pack meat out if you had to?

27-Mar-14
Since my "final" boot thread got some extra mileage, I thought I'd do one last update on my pack thread.

Since my last update, I have gotten rid of the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. (Great little pack) Also got rid of the KUIU 1850. I've replaced these two with following:

*Kifaru Nomad - This pack is quite possibly the most versatile pack I've ever seen. Along with the versatilitly comes one disadvantage...STRAPS everywhere. I really like the pack and will give it a workout next month on an AK bear hunt, but I am not loving all of the straps hanging everywhere. You can configure this pack any way you want to. To do it justice I should really post some pics. Maybe this weekend.

*KUIU Ultra 6000 and 1800 - I wrote off KUIU Packs after my experiences with the ICON, however, the Ultra fixed many of the frame issues I had with the ICOn so I decided to give them one more shot. The pack is soo light and the price was right, so I decided to give it a go. Will post my thoughts after I put it through the paces.

I am still partial to the Kifaru T2. The pack fits me like it was made for me and can carry anything that I can comfortably put on my back. The jury is still out on the Nomad for me. My hunt in April will really help me decide on whether or not it is a keeper.

I've still never tried a Kifaru Duplex as it is more pack/frame than I will ever likely need for my style of hunting. None the less, I am sure it is a great system for the DIY guys that need to haul it all.

orthopt...To answer your question, the KUIU system (w/the Ultra 3000 Bag) should work great for a day pack with load hauling capability. I love the Dragon Slayer for a daypack but lack of functional load lifters makes it tough on the shoulders carrying a load.

27-Mar-14
kota-man- I wish you were 5' 9", weighed around 150 lbs and wore a 8.5 boot so I could be in line for your hand me downs! Or visit your house for a rummage sale! LOL!

Thanks for the comprehensive reviews/reports on boots and packs. I can't believe I missed these threads on round 1.

27-Mar-14
kota-man - how did you like the Nomad on your bear hunt?

27-Mar-14
I'll let you know May 1! I leave on 4/15.

27-Mar-14
Good luck on the bear hunt Cory! I'm chomping at the bit for this season to begin.

I sold my Bikini T2 a few weeks ago, wanted/needed the 26" stays. So I've got a new one on order with a Highcamp 7000. That pack will suit my needs for hunts where weight is key.

I also ordered a Duplex frame with an EMRII. Shoukd have that soon!

And, sadly, sold my T2 two days ago for what I paid for it! It's nice when things hold their value.

Again, good luck with the bear hunt, which flavor are you going after!?

27-Mar-14
Brown...Flying in to Anchorage on the 15th...

That EMRII is a BEAST of a pack. Checked it out at WSF. Curious...Why the Highcamp AND the EMR?

27-Mar-14
Why 45 pairs of boots :) haha

My wife can use the Bikini HC and I wanted the Highcamp on a bikini because it's their lightest option. It will be great for deer hunts, caribou hunts and sheep hunts. But when I have longer hunts planned (more gear, etc) I like the feel of the duplex for really heavy loads and the EMR seemed like the right thing to do :)

27-Mar-14
Nick...That EMRII and Duplex frame is probably the best you can do for AK. What an awesome setup when you need to haul a load.

44 pairs of boots...get your facts right. :)

I'll touch base with you later this summer as I am still planning on a visit when I come to Fairbanks in August.

27-Mar-14
Yes...I have some of the MR strap tamers I will be using and may remove the middle cinch strap.

27-Mar-14
Don't forget the accessories.... =D

Picked up a Kifaru genII hanging meat bag for the MMR/panel to help keep things clean. It's permanent now in the kill kit. Can't say enough about it, keeps all the meat up high on the frame, deboned meat can't work it's way lower on the pack over time. Had 80+ pounds of meat in it about a month ago. Once I figured it out, (not the best planning to figure it out in the field) it worked great. The whole load had to be near 100 with pack, gear, head, etc. The MMR frame handled it great as well, no bruising on my shoulders, etc. like I've had with that kind of load in other packs, nothing. Legs were a bit uncomfortable for a few days though.... =D

It did leak a bit at the seams (should'a listened to Matt and seam sealed it first...) but now it's sealed. Hoping to test that sealing under load in the next week or two.

Two thumbs up on the pod accessory picked up at the same time as well, worked great for extra clothes and such, super easy to relocate when hauling meat. But that hanging bag works so well it's hands down worth the extra weight. It will change how you load for hauling meat.

17-Sep-14
I see there have been a couple pack threads lately, so thought I'd bring this one up again.

I'm in the process of putting together a new thread from my 2014 hunts: 5 hunts...5 packs a review...stay tuned...

17-Sep-14
Kota you are da man! When I grow up I wanna be like you! Just don't make me live in ND.... Mike

• Sitka Gear