Bill in MI 02-Mar-14
butcherboy 02-Mar-14
speedgoat 02-Mar-14
300 Win Mag 21-May-14
BTM 24-May-14
GBH5358 19-Aug-14
Rut Nut 18-Sep-14
19-Sep-13
The posts are getting so long it is hard to understand who has gotten refunds and who has not. How many of you that have been yelling about being taken are now ok. If you are it is time to say so to keep the caribou hunting from being ruined for others.

20-Sep-13
Not a lot of takers on this one..... With everything Kurt said all should be satified.....Wishing the best for all you guys that didn't get to go.

21-Sep-13
Out of curiosity, I would like to know what the final outcome was. Have the hunters been made whole? Did Kurt the booking agent facilitate that?

22-Sep-13
........crickets..........

24-Sep-13
Well, after reading Kurt's/Trophymanager's posts in the other thread, I am amazed he has ANY customers with an attitude like that!

24-Sep-13
Here you go: http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hunting/2013/08/canadas-caribou-crisis-new-hunting-restrictions-frustrate-hunters-baffle-outfi

29-Sep-13
First, I would like to say that I am not a fan of these websites and forums. This one is like all the others, most of the people posting are hiding behind their keyboard with fake names which make them brave enough to bash people and things they do not understand. I only signed up now to give my first hand account of dealing with SN this year. I apologize to the very small number of folks on this forum that actually posted good information. Second I can not afford to go on guided hunts every year. I saved up for a couple of years and signed up with SN to go caribou hunting. This was the first guided hunting trip I had ever been one, so I am no expert when it come to how outfitters operate and the such. However, I have been hunting everything else DIY style for close to 30 years. I am not posting today to try to explain what all this caribou drama is about. Like you I have heard several different stories and I still have some of the same questions that most of you have. I did get to hunt this year with SN and just wanted to post some thing positive. Again, I do not know the whole story of what is going on so I can not defend their decision or reasoning to not issue some refunds. I have heard some reasons but they would be nothing new to you guys. With all that said I could not have been more pleased with the hunt. It was a little slow and nothing like you see on TV but everyone in camp got two animals and there were some really nice ones taken. The personnel and guides and accommodations were great. The fishing was great. We could not have asked for a better trip ( only to be there during the migration). Everyone with SN could not have been nicer and more helpful. It is my gut feeling that they want everyone to have the best hunt possible. They are in a tough spot now, maybe they have not handled it the best way, but I do believe they do care about everyone involved. In a case like this not everyone is going to end up happy. Even some of the other hunters that hunted a different camp were unhappy that they only got one nice bull instead of two. But at least they got to go and have a chance. To be honest I am relieved that we got to go this year. I was afraid we were not and had no idea what would happen. I hope the best for all those involved. I just wanted to let this forum know that as far as the hunting goes things were great. There lots of happy hunters in the camp with us and I am sure there have been lots more go after us. I hope this all gets sorted out I would like to take my daughter in a few years when she is a little older.

30-Sep-13
Pelican,

My name is Luke Anderson. I live in Greene, Iowa. In no way shape or form do I need to hide behind a keyboard. I'm here for fun, to share my experiences and learn from a bunch of people just like me. I am very pleased that you had a good hunt with Safari Nordic. I myself have hunted with Safari. I was even successful in taking 2 bulls (both with a rifle/missed with the bow). You say you were relieved that you even got to go....? Why? Its a hunt that you paid for. There shouldn't even be any question. You say that "we" are bashing people and situations we don't even understand. It appears that you were not fortunate enough to read the things that Kurt wrote. I was. I'll also tell you that as a manager in a small company, if Kurt was any way shape or form affiliated with working for me/us, then he would no longer be. I, while never ever planning on hunting with safari again, would actually Love to see safari do the right thing. It is a simple fix. And one that they could have fixed as soon as it happened. As soon as they found out that not enough tags were issued, then everyone should have been notified and refunds given. That or trips moved to the next year and probably with a good discount. Where I work, the customer is number 1. If we forget something, they get it free. If its defective, its free. And most of the time if you broke it, we'll fix it for free. If I were you I would do myself a favor and go to the outfitter review. There is a wealth of knowledge there form everyday guys just like us that can't afford to do this yearly. There is a much better caribou outfitter out there. And a much more trusted one. Have a nice afternoon and good luck this year.

30-Sep-13
Maybe I missed it in the last thread but has it been explained how this shortage of tags came about? I thought the decrease in tags was not in effect until next year? And how is it that only SN is affected and no other outfitters? This makes no sense.

There seems to be more to the story than what is out there. If an outfitter buys the tags from the Quebec government and they give you less than you planned on, the suspicion becomes that you never paid for all the tags the previous year. If this is the case the company is going to be continually playing catch up and that is a hard hole to dig out of. I hope the hunters in question get their hunt or their money back but I wouldn't bet on it and I certainly would be avoiding booking anything with SN in the future. It sucks but outfitters are far from the only industry that this happens to.

01-Oct-13
Over booking even though they knew they did not have the tags. Rory

02-Oct-13
As far as hiding behind keyboards, am I right in believing you have to register your name, then you can post with your "handle"? I am sure you could use a fake name, but do many on here do that?

Just asking.

24-Oct-13

Judge Bean's embedded Photo
Judge Bean's embedded Photo
I’ll start by stating I’ve made many mistakes in my life, but one of the biggest was not booking my Caribou hunt with Jack Hume!

I realize this as I read his comments on this board and when I save enough money, I’ll book with him. (if Quebec goes back to 2 caribou!!!) Unfortunately I booked with Safari Nordik, and while I had a good hunt, I did not get what I paid for in the all-inclusive platinum package!

I’ve withheld my story from this site intentionally…….. until now!

So here’s how it went down.

We arrive at the hotel in Montreal where we are supposed to have a meeting with the SN staff at 6 PM. Kurt aka Trophy Manager finally showed up at 10:30 PM. We fly out the next morning to Kuujjuaq and spend the next two nights there (one day of hunting) waiting on weather to fly out to the camp.

During this time we had to pay for our own meals and were unable to shower or really do anything other than sit around and stare at each other.

Now before you start in with the “weather is not their fault” comments, I will refer you to the SN web site and brochure that clearly states “A Twin Otter plane with Instrument Flying Rules to get you to most camp sites.”, and that was a major reason why I booked with them.

BOTH days we were sitting in Kuujjuaq there were Twin Otters buzzing overhead all day!

There were seven people total, and apparently they would not fly there twin because they only use it for full loads of 8 to 10 people!

At the time I thought to myself, OK no twin otter, I’m here, it’s beautiful, and it can’t rain forever. Sure enough, the weather broke and we climbed on the float planes and made it to camp.

I got my bags in the cabin, made sure I was sighted in, and two men walked up to me and one stated “this is your guide Mayo, he doesn’t speak much English, but you’ll be OK”.

Mayo points to a ridgeline about a mile and a half away and there are 4 nice bulls bedded down on it. He says “we take a walk”.

Well this just got a lot better! I thought to myself. Off we go and I end up taking a bull at about 150 yards.

We had caped and qtr’ed him out and were cruising across the ridgeline looking for another one when a call came over the radio about a bear near camp. We had seen it flying into camp about 5 miles out, and it was HUGE.

Of course, I’m all about shooting a bear, and we are less than a mile from camp (all downhill) but Mayo starts (trying) telling me it’s on the other side of the lake miles away. So we continue scouting. About an hour later, we are headed back and I see a big black “rock” motionless next to the lake maybe 900 yards away and point it out to my guide. It’s just a rock he claims, and we keep heading to camp.

Once in camp I question a few people, and find out that the bear was IN camp, they had told Mayo over the radio (in French) because they knew I wanted to shoot one.

The black “rock” was the bear, and he knew it! He flat out LIED to me.

The next morning I get paired up with two other hunters that flew in the previous afternoon (I was hunting on my own, more on that later). Now don’t get me wrong, they were really nice guys, but one was 78 years old and had just had a hip replacement 3 months prior, the other was 79 years old and had both knees replaced the previous year. Because they were unable to walk, we spent the day sitting 300 yards off the lake waiting on a caribou to walk by. No walking, no cruising the HUNDREDS of miles of shoreline, just sitting in the SAME spot for 10 hours.

I’m 47 at the time and in good shape, I was there to hunt, not sit on a rock!

I went to the camp boss that evening and expressed my concern, and requested that I go out with the group of two (father and son) that I flew in with. After a couple of days staring at each other we had become friends, and they told me to join them.

The camp boss refused, and stated that the guides worked a rotation and only for tips. (Lie number two)

Later that evening the same camp boss began bad mouthing Ronald Reagan and George Bush, and well, I’m not turning this into a political discussion, so let me just state I was quite pissed that people in a service business should NEVER talk political trash and that I have never voted for a democrat!

(The father and son were quite ticked off as well, and they are from California!)

The last day of my hunt I had pretty much had about all the sitting on the same rock for the two previous days I was going to tolerate. So I decided to head off on my own. (Mayo didn’t like that at all, but I didn’t care!) I got about a mile away and spotted two really nice bulls roughly a mile out, and put a stalk on them and shot a wall hanger.

By now you’re probably thinking; well at least you shot two animals, so it wasn’t that bad.

I’m not even close to finished.

I get back to Montreal, and meet up with Kurt (trophy manager) at the hotel and explain everything to him.

The father and son were standing next to me and confirmed everything I told him. There was another man there Kurt claimed to be the CFO of SN, and Kurt told me that he / SN would make it right. He said that if I covered my transportation to Kuujjuaq the next year (2013), he would personally guide me on a 5 day hunt at no charge.

At the time I thought that’s darn sure making it right!

I paid Kurt (trophy management logistics) to ship my capes and antlers to me and headed for the bar!

I get all the way home and discover my 2 boxes of meat are 80% ground meat, no tenderloins and no backstraps! After a several unanswered emails and phone calls I finally get in touch with Kurt to discuss this year’s trip.

I finally got a reply from him on Feb 6th 2013, and do you think he honored what he promised? NO! Here’s the cut and pasted text from his email to me: THE BEST TIME WOULD BE AUG 30 OR AUG 31. FOR YOU IT WOULD BE $5500 PLUS LISCENSE (355) WITH YOU FLYING TO MONTREAL.

I said nothing because he STILL had my capes and antlers.

After 10 months (July) I finally got my antlers and capes, and only after I contacted California Department of Fish and Wildlife in Fresno. The lieutenant I spoke with refused to say anything derogatory about Mr. Santoro, but the tone of his voice told me everything I needed to know when he stated that he was *very familiar* with Mr. Santoro, and that he would pay him a visit to help expedite the receipt of my trophies.

Why hunting alone? Because my father coudln't be there.

I’m not looking for sympathy, as my father always said; “you can find sympathy in the dictionary, right between sh!t and syphilis”.

I booked the hunt after watching a caribou hunt (Jack Hume) on TV with my father while he was hospitalized in late Dec 2011.

My father told me he was really sorry that he and I had never gone on a caribou hunt and that we should have done it while he was able. He told me I should do it, and use the money my mother left me and go on that hunt (she had passed just 40 days prior).

He passed away Jan 11, 2012 and as he instructed me, I used my inheritance and booked the hunt on Jan 19th. I took a rifle because He didn't bow hunt, and I had to shoot one for him.

On the positive side, I have stayed in close contact with the father and son I met, and they are headed to my place this year to shoot some hogs and whitetail (with BOWS!)

Long story short, DON’T trust ANYTHING you hear from Safari Nordik and more specifically Kurt Santoro!

07-Dec-13
Anyone ever hear anymore on the situation with Safari?

07-Dec-13
Judge... sorry for you loss. Both of them. All THREE of them. Wow!

Is Sammy Cantafio still in business? (Ungava Adventures)

21-Jan-14
My wife & I are still trying to work with Nicholas at Safari Nordik but to this point we are very frustrated! We booked our hunt for the 2012 season and it was payed in full by June of 2012. SN asked us to postpone until 2013 because they could not guarantee our obtained to harvest a bull in 2012 because the caribou were not close to their camps. This happened to several hunters in 2012 with SN. In August of 2013 we got a call saying that we did not draw a tag for 2013 and needed to reschedule again. Bottom line was that tags for 2013 were limited to the same number of tags issued for each outfitter during the 2012 season but SN had fully booked for 2013 and had hunters from 2012 that needed tags as well, SN overbooked. So instead of giving preference to those hunters that had booked in 2012 they just drew names out of the hat and we were not drawn. We wanted our money back but were told they had already spent it and couldn't refund. SN asked us to book for 2014 and only harvest 1 bull per tag instead of the 2 bull per tag trip we had booked. We cannot hunt in 2014 because we are already scheduled to hunt Elk in Wyoming this fall. We still want our money back! SN does occasionally speak to my wife on the phone and we always get more excuses why they cannot refund our money. The agent we booked through is J&S World Wide Hunting in Missouri and they have not been able to help either. We are still trying but to this point we have gotten no satisfaction. To those of you considering a hunt with SN I would look elsewhere if I were you. Jeff Blystone Independence, MO.

21-Jan-14
The unofficial word is that the caribou limit for 2014 is back to two caribou. Rory

21-Jan-14
so what good is an unoffical word. what is the official word?

21-Jan-14
I talked to JHA today. Certain groups up there have to be notified first. Rory

01-Mar-14
Hunted with SN in 2009. Even wrote a review on it. Everyone was great except for Kurt Santoro. This guy is a snake stay away from him

01-Mar-14
He was the guy that used to post on here an pose as a hunter...........then it was uncovered he had an interet in the operation. not a pretty picture. not much left of mr santoro when the bowsite boys uncovered the truth and discussed it with him

01-Mar-14
My update on SN. 4 of us booked to hunt and were refused a refund as per their own contract and web site when they were not issued enough tags to cover their booked clients. We all eventually got our money back via our credit cards because this was considered failure to deliver on the part of SN. If we had paid by check, we would have been out of luck. I give special thanks to Cabelas visa service for the work they did on my behalf. I had two previous hunts with SN which were fine. Carl Waggle

02-Mar-14
After all this perpetual crap, why would someone hunt with anyone but Jack Hume? When I go for bou's it will be with them.

02-Mar-14
In 2008 I went with Sammy Cantafino (sp) of Ungava Adventures. Fantastic camp, great guides, amazing camp cook. Her husband was the head guide. My brother, dad, and myself all shot two caribou. Only one was a nice one. We didn't care because we just wanted to shoot caribou. The migration had not happened yet so we were hunting the local herd and the very first bou moving through. Some other hunters had shot some really nice ones though. We rode along miles of shoreline looking for caribou and walked a lot. Sat a lot glassing as you would on any hunt. We went fishing when we all tagged out and that was really fun catching lake trout. One hunter in our camp even shot a huge black bear! Sammy only had three camps open at the time and they weren't seeing many caribou either. Sammy flew in twice on his float plane to bring in fuel and take meat back to Montreal. He was also scouting around for the caribou and they were still really far to the north out of his hunting grounds. Flying in to camp was not an issue for us since all of his camps had a runway so the big planes could land. They even had Tred Barta in camp a few weeks before we got there and the guides told their stories about him and how much fun they had. Wish I went a few weeks earlier now. Everything went super smooth from the flying in to Montreal, then to Kujjuaq, back to Montreal. We paid the extra baggage fees and flew home with our boned out meat but TSA kept two boxes of meat in Atlanta. We didn't get it till late the next day. It's a good thing we cooled it out properly. Stupid TSA! Even after all the inspections and filling out the USDA forms and going through Customs they still had to inspect it. Over all, Fantastic hunt but if I ever do it again I will go with Jack Hume since it seems like Bowhunters have better success with him and the terrain he hunts.

02-Mar-14
This post is exactly why I keep track of Bowsite. Real information from guys who have been there.

21-May-14
Hunted with Sammy Cantafio Ungava adventures last year. Booked thru cabelas. Al in all a very good hunt. Would have booked with jack hume if I booked myself.

24-May-14
I've heard good things about Hume for two decades. FWIW I had a great hunt with Leaf River in 2008.

I've heard too much funky stuff about other operations to take a chance on them.

19-Aug-14
Again this year 231 of us do not get tags. I have been calling them several times a day, everyday, for the past 2 weeks with no answer.

Does anyone know anything or are we screwed again?

18-Sep-14
TTT for stun 109!

• Sitka Gear