JEG 06-Nov-13
Beendare 06-Nov-13
rtkreaper 06-Nov-13
rtkreaper 06-Nov-13
Norseman 06-Nov-13
Chris S 07-Nov-13
wild1 08-Nov-13
06-Nov-13
I just went online and got one of the leftover licenses! I will hunt with a rifle from my deer stand this Saturday.

Suggestions on how/what to bait?

06-Nov-13
California Senator tied to a tree.

06-Nov-13
Dog poop

06-Nov-13
Put a pile of fresh meat in a tent.

06-Nov-13
A teenager used his head as bait earlier this year near Bemidji. :)

06-Nov-13
It's no wonder why people stop patronizing Bowsite.

06-Nov-13
If you still have any deer in the area you hunt, just wait about 15 minutes after one walks by and odds are good a wolf will be stiffing its trail.

06-Nov-13
Yeah those are great answers eh CPA?

PM the outfitter in BC that runs the wolf hunts, Babine maybe? They do the trapping thread every year. He baits alot of wolves.

I know a gut pile does not last long around hear with the coyotes. Maybe you can have some buddies save them and get some of your own??

Pretty cool opportunity.

Rick M

06-Nov-13
I was thinking the same Rick...

We use a garbage pail of meat scrapes with a cable twisted through the scraps it to cable to a tree. Put some water in the garbage can and freeze it all. By the time you get to the site you may want to use, the pail should be thawed enough to pull it off the now frozen meat. Should last a while if it's cold where you are. Set your stand well east of the bait to be crosswind to it. As soon as you get action, hunt it. Works for us up here in Manitoba.

06-Nov-13
Had a outfitter in Saskatchewan basically tell me the same as Bear Track but he used blood instead of water. I know a couple of guys that hunted near ely and used fawn distress calls. They had a couple opportunities. Good Luck.

06-Nov-13
Good advice Rick.

I've talked to an outfitter at length Stuart Maitland in BC that seems to be pretty good at trapping those wolves. I bet he would give you some great tips if you called him.

06-Nov-13
CPA, The timbers were really cutting loose last night somewhere between your house and mine. I hear them several times a week here. I think we are totally overrun with them in our area. Between the wolves and coyotes around here, the deer don't have much of a chance. Throw in the occasional mountain lion.(I have seen three around here) and things really get interesting. I would guess a deer carcass would be your best bet up here. Rory

06-Nov-13
CPA, Totally agree with your earlier comment. Lots of eye rolling and head shaking if you mention bow site to other hunters. I will stick with it for awhile I guess. Rory

06-Nov-13
Ask the Mn govt trappers what they use.

07-Nov-13
A friend in Ontario said they hunted wolf by taking a couple beaver carcuses he would get from the local trappers. Chip 3 or 4 holes in ice on remote lakes they hunted put the beavers half way in the water so they were froze partially into the lake. That way he said they could not remove the bait and had to work at it for a while. Once they were getting hit regularly they would sit in ground blind with appropriate wind at the shoreline about 100 yards away with rifle and occasionally use predator caller since they knew they were in the area. Probably a bit more difficult if you are not very remote. Good luck keep us posted!!

08-Nov-13
I would sit further than a hundred yards away from bait pile, more like 200 yards, maybe even a bit further (assuming you're confident with your shot).

• Sitka Gear