midwest 01-Jun-14
Z Barebow 01-Jun-14
Hollywood 04-Jun-14
midwest 04-Jun-14
Hollywood 04-Jun-14
Bill in MI 04-Jun-14
Z Barebow 06-Jun-14
19-Jan-14
Well, I've never participated before, having relied on a naturally small frame and limited caloric intake (never been a big eater).

But, as the 40 arrives this year, I've decided to stop my otherwise slow & insidious slide downhill.

I have had a more or less sedentary job for 19 years and am not going to change that, as I'm quite good at it, and love it lol.

So, with some possible once-in-a-lifetime hunts coming this year, I've decided to start an active daily regimen including a better diet.

My stats are 39 years old, 5'8", 158 lbs, 24% body fat as averaged with multiple calculators.

I've completed the 1st week of P90X3 and already feel improved energy even though the soreness is persistent.

For a little group motivation and to be the best we can be (for ourselves, our families, and our hunts) POST UP!

1)Where you are at now and 2)where you are going to be come season, 3)tip and tricks to get there etc.

I will be in the best shape of my life by this fall! No other option exists.

Question: I want to do a half marathon on May 31st, what besides 2 rounds of the P90x3 should I do??

Good luck! Bill

19-Jan-14
Photos welcome (just keep the manscaping tips on the OTHER yearly thread lol)

Don't be shy

...If Pat doesn't mind, I'll keep bumping this up until we get some participation. Let me know.

19-Jan-14
Bill, two years ago I primarily did p90x during the week and did longer runs during the weekend in training for a half marathon. My 13 mile average was around 9 min/ mile. It could of been better if I would of run more during the week. I suggest looking at some run plans online and to accompany p90x.

I'm doing insanity right now and training for a half in early august at Rocky Mountain National Park.

20-Jan-14
Aaron, besides the half marathon you did, how were the results from the p90x?

Stamina, overall strength, mental?

20-Jan-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
I'm 55 and started my fitness journey about the same time you are starting yours. Congratulations on the decision for a better life!

I've done a couple rounds of P90X and a round of P90X2. At the time, P90X was the hardest workout routine I had done and I had great results. The second round I did, I substituted running days for the yoga and kempo days because I hated those workouts and I like to run. I didn't care for P90X2 at all - too complicated of moves and too much of the balance crap.

A little over a year ago, I joined a new gym that opened in my town. This is the first time I had ever belonged to a gym as I'd always worked out solo at home. I even signed up to work with a trainer to hopefully learn more. I told him I train for hunting the mountains of the west and he geared my program toward that goal.

The first few workouts with my trainer left me a drooling pile of sweat curled up on the gym floor. He pushed me WAY beyond my comfort zone and I was starting to wonder what I had gotten myself into. He showed me what I was really capable of and I've since met all my fitness goals and I've never felt better at any age.

I still run and do several races every summer and fall. Last year, I ran my 3rd half marathon in St. Louis with my daughters and won my age division. The mountains of the west are but a small challenge for me now and I plan to keep it that way for many years to come!

Good luck on YOUR fitness journey!

20-Jan-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Me and my trainer, Kyle on my 55th birthday.

20-Jan-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Here's a few tips:

The days you least feel like working out or running are the days you will feel the best after working out or running.

Variety is key. Don't get stuck in a rut.

Work out with a partner if you can occasionally. Keep the chit chat to a minimum and push each other.

You can run in virtually any weather if you have the proper gear. It might be cold the first mile or so, but after that you'll be just as comfortable as a warm spring day.

Make it a priority!

My youngest daughter belongs to Kosama (google it). She can bring guests for a workout session and the above picture was taken afterwards with a coworker friend and me. Like I said, variety keeps thing interesting.

20-Jan-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
New Years Day morning group run....2º and blowing snow.

20-Jan-14
Just turned 42. Took up competitive bodybuilding again (havent done it since college days) a few years ago after scales creaked up to 301. I figured getting nearly naked in front of a bunch of people is alot of motivation to lose weight. Just started dieting(today) again for my state show in May then master nationals in July. Been on a seafood diet since Turkey day, and this day of egg whites, oat meal, brown rice, boiled chicken, broccoli, and lean steak, is kinda a shock to my system. Oh yeah that and the damn step mill. Key when you are older is diet, consistency, and listen to your body!! Once you cross that 35 threshold injuries can smack you at anytime without necessarily doing something stupid. Sometimes its just not easing up, or putting a governor on yourself every now and then.

20-Jan-14
Bill,

...look at halhigdon.com for 1/2 marathon training schedules. Stick to the schedule, don't up your mileage too fast without the appropriate foundation, that's a recipe for injury.

Start a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supplement.

20-Jan-14
Obviously no Lyme disease! That's terrific! Good luck!

20-Jan-14
I have something that might help. PM me for details

20-Jan-14
Will do to the above! And Charlie, all came back negative and we determined there is some early arthritis at work along with "persistent inflammation" due to a yet to be determined cause.

Between an antidepressant and some habit modification I feel 10x better.

I think this regimen and an athletic goal will keep me from backsliding to debilitating 'mysterious' pain.

21-Jan-14
Hollywood and others-

Does a goal of a half marathon (by 5/31) conflict with a initial round of P90?

I looked over the suggested schedule for training at halhigdon.com and don't want to 'un do' progress.

Thx Bill

21-Jan-14
Bill, I think it depends on your current running base. Are you currently able to easily run 3+ miles? If so, you should be able to concentrate primarily on your strength training through P90X for the next several weeks then ramp up your running the 8-10 weeks before your half.

If you are starting from scratch and can barely run a mile without stopping, I would concentrate on slowly building up your running miles and only do the strength training 2-3 times a week per the Higdon running schedule.

During running season, I rarely run more than 3 times per week and rarely run more than 9 or 10 miles for my long run of the week but I can still maintain a sub 8 min. mile pace for a half marathon.

It all depends on your goals....if you want to not only be able to just complete a half, but compete to be at the top of your age class, you will want to run much more and do much more speed training along with your distance running.

21-Jan-14
I'm not much for workout CD's. They work for a few but most end up on Craigs List. Being fit is a lifestyle and at 48 how I stay young, am able to play sports with my kids, have younger women and hunt hard. I'm a gym rat and at the gym about every day. Nice thing about a gym once you are there you have to workout. At home you have to many other things you could do besides workout. I lift just about everyday isolating body sections and lift heavy every 3rd time. I run 3 or 4 times a week and do sprints at the end of the run. Off days I'll bike, use the stair stepper, basketball, row, something to keep the heart rate high for at least an hour. Plus I walk the dogs a few miles ever day. Diet I think is most folks down fall. Lots of people could shed pounds just by dropping a few items off their daily menu. Diet effects mood and motivation too and eating well will get you out of the house and running down the road or over to the gym to get that work out in. Good luck Bill and keep at it.

21-Jan-14
Bill, Also, given your size stats, I'm guessing if you have decent running form, you could really excel at distance running. Did you run back in high school or college?

21-Jan-14
Thx guys, great info and personal experience here. Please chime in with what you are doing this year so far.

I did run in HS and was decent at it, but that was 21 years ago...

I am enjoying the burn of the P90x3 and thought a 6 month goal of a 1/2 marathon (finish run/jog/power walk/repeat)would be good. I don't know if focusing on the 6 days of P90x with a run 1 or 2 times a week will get me there. I am really wanting the overall fitness/strength/agility improvements that seems to be associated with the P90 routines...hmmm

My 2 mile time tonight, as a test, was 24min, so that stinks. But I would slow to a 4mph for a few 10ths and then run again around 6-7mph, repeat...

I recover quickly but still deal with nausea some during workouts. Seems like I cough phlegm when I really get going and then feel a little nausea. This seems to be improving though.

**Ultimately my goal is here is to improve quality of life and overall health. Secondly, I want to maximize the 3 solid weeks of bow hunting MT elk, AK moose/brown bear by being in the best shape possible to maximize my chances.**

I am restricting my diet to the p90x formula and focusing on numbers of servings of protein/fat/carbs to stay around 1900 calories to lose a few pounds but mostly reshape and tone.

No soda and processed foods are gone. Tons of water and quality food are the new norm.

Thoughts?

21-Jan-14
Bill, for what you're wanting to accomplish in your first half marathon, I think you are completely on the right track. 13.1 is not that far. I see people of all different sizes, shapes, and fitness levels coming across the finish line in all the races I do.

Even only running a couple days per week, when you couple that with your P90X, you will be in plenty good enough shape to run/walk a half. I would just keep slowly increasing the mileage on one of your run days until you can run 5 or 6 miles non-stop to get your legs used to covering some miles.

A little nausea is normal when you are pushing yourself...good job! Pushing yourself past your comfort zone is when the magic happens.

If you continue on your current fitness/diet program, you will be in great shape come this fall!

22-Jan-14
Bill- You have enough time to prepare for half.

Your story sounds familiar. In 2006 at 40 years, I knew I needed to make a change in my lifestyle. I had recently moved myself and family to take a new job. This job was far more sedentary than my old job. I didn't like the way I felt. Trying to get into shape for elk hunting was getting harder and harder. (Too hard to erase 3 years of sins in 2-3 months)

I joined the Y. But I needed a goal. I had not developed the discipline to make changes in my lifestyle. So I signed up for a 1/2 (May 2007). I was never a runner, but your body dimensions are very close to what I was (I have no idea of BMI then or now though). I ran 2 miles and I thought I was going to die. At some point in training, I ran 5.5 miles without stopping, and the rest is history. Long story short, I ran that 1/2 and I was pleased. But I had worked so hard to get to that point, I didn't want to let my fitness go. So I kept it up. And I haven't let up since then.

I'll reiterate some of what is stated above. I eat much better than I used to. No deep fried stuff, I try and avoid white stuff and minimize foods which come in a bag or a box. I still have a beer or two, but no excess. Working out with a hangover= no workout.

I'll admit, I know of P90X but can't say how much can replace running. I have never done it but know people who have done it. What I will say is the best way to get better at running, is to run. Your body needs to acclimate to the environment and rigors of running. You muscular and skeletal structure in your legs need time to acclimate and strengthen. Too many miles too fast= injury.

I don't know your running/racing history, so a little guidance would help. I used Hal Higdon plan noted above. If your keep to P90 plan, I think you should be able to replace running with some P90. But I would run at least twice a week at this point. At some point, I would be running 3 times a week. One run per week should be a long run. And by long, it is relative. If your daily runs are 2 miles, long run would be around 4 miles. (Look at training plans and you will get an idea of the plans principals.) Don't worry about how fast you run, just run.

The biggest step your can make is make fitness part of your daily routine. Do you ever think about not brushing your teeth? It sounds like you are on your way.

When in training, I take a calendar and pencil in all of my targets for each day until race day. I also schedule rest. If my schedule gets altered, I can easily see where I can switch days throughout the week. When race day comes, your body won't know if you swapped a Tuesday and a Thursday in week 5!

Keep up the good work. You have NO IDEA what you are capable of.

22-Jan-14
Making it part of a routine is the key. Make it as easy to do and hard to skip as possible. I've never been a "gym guy" cause you have to leave home or drive out of your way to do that. I used to like running (ran Boston marathon in 86) but after 3 knee surgeries, that's not happening. I like bike riding, never liked weights, but bikes are tough in NH in the winter.

Last winter I did the "insanity" workouts. Same company as P90X family of workouts, but more cardio based and honestly kicks your butt! My routine, now that my wife doesn't get home until after 7:30 is: - get home from work - turn on computer (I run soccer referee instruction for NH so have about 30 minutes of email to deal with per night). - change into shorts - do insanity (trying T-25 now, easier, but still not easy) - deal with the email from the day (computer is already running), this allows a cool down - shower and eat - Wife is now home.

Worked great last winter as I hit the soccer fields in pretty good shape for running around (soccer referee runs about 7 miles in a full length competitive game).

22-Jan-14
Bill,

You've received some good guidance above. I agree with Z, I would try and run at least 2 days a week, 3 is better. That said, you could do the 90 series and replace a couple of the workouts with runs, making sure one is a long run.

Then, when the 90 days is done, I would run at least 3 days a week for a couple of months and add in whatever strength workouts you want to do.

The old paradigm of having to run a lot in order to be a runner has really changed over the last ten years. I do a trail ultra every summer and I'll rarely ever run more than 3 days a week.

Variety will help you more than anything because it will keep you from getting bored and prevent chronic injury. An example of a summer week would be 2-3 days running (including long run, all on trails), 1 day mountain biking (usually a 15 mile race), 2 days Insanity, 1 rest day. In the winter I replace the running with upland bird hunting and keep the bike in the garage in lieu of spinning classes.

You have PLENTY of time to prepare for your half, just make sure you manage your expectations and really focus on holding yourself to your pace on raceday.

Good luck.

23-Jan-14
OK I am in!

I weighed 218 about 3 months ago I got down to 186 the week before Christmas and I am back up to 193 today! I am going to be 48 in April& I am 5'10''.

My goal is to get down to 175 by my birthday!

5 years ago I worked out really hard and went form benching 185lbs 1 set of 8 reps to doing 3 sets of 10 reps at 370lbs with a max of 425 lbs 3 reps.

I do not even plan on getting back to over 300 lbs of benching. This past November I did bench for about 2 weeks and did 3 sets of 10 reps at 240 lbs. Not bad for not lifting in 4.5 years?

I plan on doing a lot more cardio. I REFUSE TO RUN!!! I had my neck fused about 15 years ago and it just hurts to bad even jogging slow. I do have a stationary bike as well as a full gym in my basement.

I have an excellent diet plan but now that holidays are over I need to stick to it!!!

I constantly have GOUT issues and yes I am on Allapurinal daily.

AnyhootI am in for this challenge! I do know when othets hold you accountable you achieve better results!

What I recommend we have teams of 3 people and we see which team does the foloowing!

1. Loses most weight.

2. Loses most body fat.

3. Who hits their goal!

Perhaps a sponsor of bowsite might want to goive a discount to the winning team? :0)

23-Jan-14
Challenge accepted.

I'm thinking I only need to drop 5 lbs or so, but mostly want the body fat to go from 24 to 15%.

Being able to run that 13.1 on 5/31 will be a benchmark for me.

23-Jan-14
My wife and I are going to try and eat better......we actually eat very well now compared to alot of out friends. We don't eat out at all hardley and generally eat a good amount of fruits/veggies but likley eat too much starch and fatty meats (beef). There is always room for improvement.

In addition to the diet, a CONSISTENT work out plan/schedule will be followed. With two young kids, this is that hardest part. I am 5'8" about 190 lbs with a stocky build, and would like to be closer to 175 lbs when its all said and done. I just want to be in better shape and have better strength.

23-Jan-14
Honestly Bill I bet you will actually gain a little weight as you hit your 15% body fat goal. Muscle just weighs more and more muscle burns more calories and so on. Don't get hung on the scale, trust how you feel and how you look in the mirror.

23-Jan-14
I decided to make a change myself. I'd gotten to the point where I had no energy and just walking 100 yards to my treestand left me a bit winded. So, the week after Christmas I joined a gym. I've been doing cardio and cardio/boxing classes. I never realized how much boxing works out your back muscles. These classes are high intensity 45 min-1 hr. workouts. They are butt kickers but they are fun. The hardest part about the classes is there are so many things we do that I have never done that I am having to learn proper form, etc. So, I haven't been able to push myself because I am having to concentrate so much on doing the exercise correctly. That will get better with time though. On days I don't do a class, I do elliptical machines and light weight lifting. I absolutely hate running. I have old ankle and knee injuries that make it painful for me to run enough to get any benefit from running. It's been about 10 yrs since I did any kind of serious exercise and I am easing back into it. I'm 47, 5'11" and weighed 225 lbs yesterday. When I started I was at 237 lbs. I've taken up two notches in my belt. I'm pleased with my results so far. As part of my gym membership I get a free evaluation. I go for that today. They will do body fat, blood pressure, etc. As for diet, I have cut out the potatoes, pasta, rice. I try to only have one or two servings of carbs/day. Most of my protein comes from chicken, venison or other wild game. I eat LOTS of greens like collards, kale and spinach. I've cut down my portion sizes as well and eat 5 times/day. One of the benefits I have is that I am not a picky eater and am a good cook. I try to workout at least 5 days/week. I've set a goal to get to 200 lbs. Once I meet that goal, I will evaluate again and will maybe set another goal. I really don't care what I weigh, I just want to get my body fat % down. Good luck to everyone.

Rob

23-Jan-14
As far as teams, you don't want me. My body composition is pretty close where I want/need it to be.

For those who can't/won't run, not a big deal. If you do a sustained workout and work up a sweat, that works. Stationary bike, elliptical, stairmaster, rowing machine are some of my favorites. I like the stairmaster because if you slack, you fall off! Key is a sustained effort over a duration of time. Raise your heart rate and hold it.

I'll admit, I personally am not big on weight lifting. Big muscles are for show. But heart and lungs make me go. I won't debate, just my opinion. As far as fitness is concerned, if you are doing something, it beats doing nothing. That is why I am a big proponent of exercise being part of your daily lifestyle. Just like dieting, if you can't sustain it or don't like it, you won't be able to do it daily. Make good choices which you can sustain. If you need to walk for XX minutes because your current fitness won't allow anything more, allocate the time and do it. If I needed to lose weight, I could do it by eating salads and bean curd. But would I be able to sustain it? Heck no.

If you are trying to make changes in your body, look at it this way. How long did it take you to arrive at your current body shape? Is it truly realistic to think your are going to erase years of habits and sins in a matter of weeks and months and be able to sustain it? (I believe this is a fundamental reason why dieting continually fails over the long run. IMHO)

You guys are here and you are on your way. Sweat each time you work out and you are on a path to long term success.

23-Jan-14
Good Luck Bill!

To get ready for elk every year here in Az I get on the tread mill every other day with my backpack loaded with weights. My knees are shot, I cannot run so I start out 1 mile at 2mph with 20 pounds and increase the miles up to 5 miles. Once I have reached 5 miles I increase the weight over a coarse of a few months and I am hauling a 60 pound pack at 3mph for 5 mile 3 times a week. I killed and hauled/packed out an entire bull out of a steep canyon by myself. I was 48 then, 52 now. Oh, and i have archery hunting video's on in front of me that keeps me motivated while im doing the tred mill workout.

I had more energy than I needed to get the job done. I train like that for a tough hunt which I feel is more beneficial than training for a marathon if your doing so to hunt elk anywhere in the west. at least it works for me.

GBA

23-Jan-14
For you guys that don't like to run, you can still get a heck of a cardio workout lifting weights. Just increase your reps and reduce your rest time. I will do four different lifts in a row with no rest, it's brutal.

I don't do much weight lifting anymore, lots of functional body weight stuff. I like TRX workouts too.

My goal is to reduce my body fat by 3% and complete a 50 mile trail ultra this year.

23-Jan-14
JLS, If you like TRX, you'll probably recognize those straps hanging in the background of my second to last picture. I specifically wanted to go to Kosama with my daughter on the night they were doing TRX because I'd never done it. It was a great workout!

Ditto on the cardio strength training. We do lots of circuits similar to Cross Fit that will leave you totally gassed. Lifting weights is not all about growing big muscles. I'll never be big because I do so much cardio in prep for the mountains.

23-Jan-14
I like the challenge idea, but I'm not going to join in since I'm pretty close to where I want to be. In November of 2011 I was 235 lb (I'm 5'10"). By September 2012 (after training for my goat hunt) I was around 200, and by 2013 elk camp I was 185. I was in great shape on last year's hunt, haven't felt that good in 20 years.

I jumped back up to 190 over the holidays, but I'm starting to drop again now. I'd like to be around 175-180 this fall.

I did my first half marathon last year, and I will echo the thoughts above that you can definitely do a half by 5/31. Just keep increasing your mileage 10-20% per week, and don't forget to drop back mileage for a recovery week about once a month. I am aiming to complete a full marathon this year myself.

I used to hate running but I love it now. Being a busy dad with two young girls it is a great workout since you can burn a ton of calories in little time. Running, swimming and lifting are my main workouts. Haven't ridden my road bike in a couple years but someday I'll start that up again when I have more time.

Moving to Colorado and my growing addiction to mountain hunting has been a great thing for me, I can't ever see myself going back to the lazy lifestyle I had before!

23-Jan-14
midwest,

Yep, I recognized them!

What are your half marathon times? You must be a jackrabbit like Z.

24-Jan-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Ha! Hardly! I'm not half the runner Z is. He probably runs sub 6 min. miles for a half. My last half I ran 7:47 pace....bloody nipple and all. lol

24-Jan-14
Nice job. Gosh I hate chafed nipples, they really suck!

24-Jan-14
chafed nipples was the biggest suprise I got running a marathon and the "pain" that lasted the longest :-)

24-Jan-14
Cardio workout challenge:

This is pretty typical of a cardio workout I did this morning with my trainer.

Warm up run on treadmill for 5 min. at 8.5 mph

short break

Set treadmill at 11.5 mph for 40 min. so it doesn't ever shut off the entire workout. Set 45 lb. kettlebell on floor off to side.

Sprint .25 miles, jump off, 20 pushups

short break

Sprint .25 miles, 20 pushups, 20 k.bell swings

short break

Sprint .25 miles, 20 pushups, 20 swings, 20 k.bell standing rows to chin

short break

Sprint .25 miles, 20 pushups, 20 swings, 20 rows, 40 jumping jacks

short break

Sprint .25 miles, 20 pushups, 20 swings, 20 rows, 40 jacks, 30 jump lunges (Mary Katherine's to you P90X grads)

Goal is to get it all done in 30 minutes. Good luck!

Hey, Bob, quite a surprise sting when you jump in the shower, eh? lol

24-Jan-14
Bill what made u think u had lymes I went for over 8 years with doctors telling me i didn't have lymes . I once was a gym rat now my joints suffer , there isn't a day that goes by without lyme related pains !!! It was finally confirmed a few years ago by a infectious disease lyme specialist... best of luck on your goal Louis

26-Jan-14
6 month onset of persistent neck pain, headaches, no energy and having to take nap to get thru any day I was away from work. It was a strange progression that took over 6 months or so. But, now is largely gone.

26-Jan-14
What are your hunts this fall? Elk? Plains mule deer? Goat (mountain or speed)?

Your goal of a 1/2 marathon is doable. My wife decided to get in shape last spring and signed herself up for 2-3 over the last year. She did the first 2 walking fast and the last one she mixed in running with breaks of fast walking. All combinations will help you in the fall (unless you are hunting out of a stand next to your truck). So if you have to walk to get through the race, don't sweat it! You are still on track for your goal of hunting effectively in the fall.

If you have the ability to join a running club in your area - DO IT! If you haven't run before regularly, the mental portion can be the toughest.

The P90X can help out also - keep that up. But, I reverse the importance of my workouts. My theory is that you spend 90% of your time hiking and 10% hauling (if you are lucky/good). I usually choose 2 days of each week hunt as a 'walkabout' where I just pick a circular route and put in the miles - to enjoy the country and find new hunting areas.

I got off track, but you are on the right one - doing something is much better than what you were doing!

26-Jan-14
Archery elk in MT for opening week and then AK moose bear combo with a bow till almost the end of the month, deer around home.

12-Feb-14
I am hunting Idaho this year with my 16 year old son. I haven't elk hunted since 2011 and my body sure shows it. I know the threads here have helped me in the past so I'd love to get going on this for my hunt this year.

I am 46 years old and in reasonable health. My physical showed borderline high cholesterol so I am working with a health coach on that. I live in Indianapolis but we have some terrain within driving distance.

I started the year at 186 pounds but have gotten that down to 175 as of this morning. That's about my stable weight when I am exercising regularly. I am 5'11".

Current workout routine is 3-5 days of morning exercises, getting into more interval stuff based on a recommendation by the health coach (she called it H-I-I-T, I call it H-E-L-L). 2-3 days a week I do a 1 hour cardio routine in the gym, treadmill, elliptical, bike. If it ever gets warmer, I'm getting back to trail running or hiking with a weight vest.

Once I get a couple tendinitis things worked out, I'd like to start some weight training. If I could get back to benching my weight and squatting 300, I'd be happy.

My overall goals are to maintain weight between 170 and 175, backpack a nearby 58 mile trail in 3 days, run a 5K in 27 minutes, and get my bad cholesterol down.

12-Feb-14
I just completed my now annual 5K swim across Tampa Bay for the Navy SEAL Foundation so I'm feeling pretty good. Putting in about 10-12 miles a week....down from 15-18 in early January.

I am going for an age group record in the one mile in the short pool in April if no one else breaks it by then.

12-Feb-14
Nice guys, keep it up.

I'm just shy of 1 month into my p90x3.

Have upped my reps and endurance across the board. especially on pull ups and push ups to 89 pull ups in the half hour 'challenge' with the assist band and 149 push ups during the same workout.

Adding 2 mile runs throughout the week tagging the easier p90 daily routines.

Diet has been modified, water intake 5x what it was, and feeling damn good so far.

12-Feb-14
Working out is for the birds.

I hike and chop firewood; all of it enjoyable, productive, and healthy.

Sunday I kept a 3mph pace up 3000 ft to an 8k ft peak on the way to scouting for mulies. Just over 3 miles in 68 minutes.

I can't imagine exercising or running just for the sake of exercise.

Get out there in the woods and don't drink sweetened beverages! 6'00" 162 lbs

13-Feb-14
Good point Ike,

The biggest thing I miss about MA vs where I live now in MI, is that I have almost NO public land to wander.

Back in western MA I had multiple state forests to get lost in, whether it be hiking, hunting, or fishing.

Everything is private here and although I have permission on about 800 total acres across 12 properties, I'm sensitive to the fact that the landowners who let me turkey hunt/deer hunt, probably don't want to see my ugly mug every weekend thru the year lol.

So, in town and in house 'training' is all I have.

13-Feb-14
"I can't imagine exercising or running just for the sake of exercise."

Once you get into it....it's extremely addictive. The whole endorphin buzz thing you hear about is true. I feel so damn good after I almost kill myself in a workout....it's great!

I love the whole endurance training thing...it teaches you that what you can and cannot do is all in your head. I'm toying with the idea of a really big swim one of these days....maybe Catalina.

13-Feb-14
Exercising is addicting. I am only 27 so a young buck compared to some of you. I played a lot of basketball after high school. After drawing my first elk tag last year I decided it was time to get in shape. I started with 50lbs in my back on the treadmill and weight training. The problem with my training at first was that I never had been a gym rat and didn't realize the tempo I needed to maintain a good workout. I bought a nock off of the p90x system that had great reviews online. I have been at it for a month now and the results are finally starting to show. I'm 6'2 was 195lbs and down to 182 now. I was at a low of 178. My wife and I have a very clean diet, she enjoys the clean eating over constantly working out. With the training I have been doing I have been eating more then ever at 5 meals a day. My meal plan goes something like this 5am workout-protein shake right after 730am-full breakfast 10am-1/2 protein shake with rice cake 1230pm-lunch 4pm-other half of protein shake and rice cake 7pm-dinner

I occasionally will run after dinner and if I feel hungry after words i will mix a small protein shake before bed. I was amazed at the amount of food I was eating but still loosing weight. I have started to gain a little weight back that I contribute to muscle gain. I would like to get to 190 or so and maintain that weight. Once I get to that I will increase my running.

Might not be a great plan but it works for me! If you guys have some suggestions let me know!

13-Feb-14
No place to wander within an hour of my house. Also per weather man, since Dec 1, we have experienced below zero temps 51 out of 64 days. That is air temp, none of the wind chill crap.(I know we added to that total since those comments)

On my longest running streak ever. 22 consecutive days of 5 miles or greater. TM and I are becoming great pals.

13-Feb-14
Straight Arrow, I know all about the "buzz." I exercise a ton, I just don't go to a gym to do it or run down my street.

14-Feb-14
Here is my weekly accountability p;ost.

Morning Exercises (goal is 3): 4

I started doing a little more intense stuff, mixing in some burpees with jumping jacks, pushups and crunches. I do a short yoga routine prior.

Gym Workouts (goal is 2): 2

1 hour treadmill, elliptical and bike on one workout.

40 min treadmill (3.2 miles), 30 minutes upper body

Average calories (goal is 2000): 1980

Weight (goal is 175 by March 24): 177

14-Feb-14
Did a competition workout this morning with a buddy before work -- bench press, squat jumps, bent barbell rows, bench press with bands for time, squat jump and pass a medicine ball, overhead presses with a 45 lb. plate, 1 min. sprints on the rowing machine for distance.

Basically, you take turns doing reps of 10 until one guy fails. I lost in all categories except two. But then, he is 30 years younger than me. lol

14-Feb-14
When I was younger, 22-24 yrs old I was a power lifter. I weighed 180 lbs and my squat was 450 and my was 380 lbs. I was strong.. I was also 23% body fat. I began eating lean and doing cardio in March of 1999. By July of 99 I was 162 lbs and 6.2 % body fat. I got into bodybuilding for about a year and then just worked out to stay in shape. Did that for 5 yrs. then I had kids and got lazy. Ballooned to 192 and fluctuated between 178- 184 for a few yrs. I was tired all the time. Last January I began eating leaner and doing cardio. As of right now I run 3.75 miles 5 days a week and weigh 147 lbs. at 38 yrs old I feel the best I have ever felt. 31" waist and I plan to stay there!

14-Feb-14

Limb Bender's embedded Photo
October of 2012

14-Feb-14

September 2013

14-Feb-14

Bodybuilding days back in 2000! Age has not been good to me!

15-Feb-14
Well, I've lost almost 2" off my waist and about 3 lbs avg. in the month of p90x. Been mixing in the running.

Everything is improving. Cut out all soda and sugary drinks (minus coffee), most all process foods, and drinking a ton of water.

Endurance across workouts is getting better, and this is just 1 month in.

Feel PDG

15-Feb-14
Awesome, Bill, keep at it!

One thing I've learned is sharing fitness goals and progress is inspiring to other people. There are a few of us where I work that decided we were going to do a Tough Mudder this summer so we sent an email out to the entire facility inviting anyone to join our team. Several people were interested and another half dozen joined the team. We started sending out a weekly email that is similar to this thread asking everyone how their progress is coming and attaching pictures or videos of different workouts.

Just the talk around the office has motivated several people to join a gym and start improving their health and fitness. People that were total couch potates are talking about their weight loss, their running mileage in a couch to 5K, how much better they feel, etc. This then spreads to their spouses and families as well. It's great to see the contagiousness running through the office and plant.

BTW, if there are any Bowsiters that are going to be at the Minneapolis Tough Mudder this July, I would love to hear from you. If you were looking to join a team, let me know.

21-Feb-14
Finished the 1st block of p90x3 yesterday with a double dynamix and then followed it up with my 1st 3 mile run/jog since high school. I know 3mi in 35 min is not fast but it felt really good and hell, it's only February.

Have lost 5 pounds though and reduced my BMI (Navy calculator) from 24% to 22%.

Endurance improving along with a 'craving' for the workout.

21-Feb-14
Gonna do two full miles in the pool at lunch today which takes me 50 minutes. Last 20 minutes will be continuous sprints with 5 seconds rest in between. This should get me pretty close to nirvana today and will be my 4th workout this week. Full 3 mile pool workout Saturday for #5 and 11 miles for the week.

21-Feb-14
I've found that changing it up is the best as your body starts to "remember" what it is doing that is strenuous and then tries to conserve energy. When mixing it up, it "confuses" your body and you get a better workout. As mentioned, working different muscle groups is key, I like to do one group every 5 days or so and throwing in swimming a mile once per week in there as well. Eating a balance of lean carbs and protiens (together) is also key.

I've decided to kick it in high gear again, like many of you, 40 this year and did not like what I saw in the mirrior while fitting a new pack I just got. The last time I saw that nastiness of myself was a pic of me and some friends at an offshore fishing tournament all holding up a 50# Wahoo. I decided then I was way too fat.

I did an addition onto my house a few years back and with working on that till dark everyday after work plus hitting the gym I was down from 210 to 175. Since then I've crept back up to the 200 lb range again. Goal is to be at 190 by turkey season (mid April) and 180 by fall. % body fat is more of the goal for me right now.

21-Feb-14
Morning Exercises (goal is 3): 4

10 minute yoga and 3 sets of 20 jacks, 10 pushup burpees, 20 crunches. Getting better at the burpees.

Gym Workouts (goal is 2): 3

4 mile jog/runs on the treadmill, 15 mins on the elliptical, 15-30 minutes upper body.

1 - 2 mile walk with my 40 pound weight vest.

Average calories (goal is 2000): 1900

Weight (goal is 175 by March 24): 175 (might need a new goal)

21-Feb-14
"I've found that changing it up is the best as your body starts to "remember" what it is doing that is strenuous and then tries to conserve energy. When mixing it up, it "confuses" your body and you get a better workout."

Yes. totally. Cross training is where it is at.

21-Feb-14
Turkey season should get me in pretty good shape but I want to get even more fit in case I go elk hunting. I am going to try to get down from 6' 1" 195 to 5'6" 162 by elk season.

28-Feb-14

Z Barebow's Link
Here is a neat website. 52 exercises you can do w/o equipment. To find out how to do the exercise, click on the box. A short youtube video will show you how.

http://strength.stack52.com/periodic-table-of-bodyweight-exercises/

28-Feb-14
Looks like we're in too. A week into it and mostly dropped everything in our diets that had dairy or simple carbs. From my competitive bodybuilding days most fats are out the window. Trying to stick to 15-20 grams of fat a day. Tread mill every evening. I started at 205 and Jeannine 113. Yesterday I was 199 and she 110. I'm the senior and she the senoirita I guess, so give us a break.

28-Feb-14
Way to go! Feeling stronger every week. I did 2 p90 workouts yesterday and then followed with a 2mile run. I was pretty shot by the end.

02-Mar-14
Finished a p90x3 dynamix with a 3 mile 35 min run/walk after.

Question- I am getting numb feet and calves about 1.5 miles in.

I am hydrating more than ever 6-8 glasses of water per day with a glass 15min or so before a workout and I sip throughout the workout run too.

What am I doing wrong?

02-Mar-14
Could be the shoe's, Bill. Go to a store that specializes in running shoes and they are usually able to analyze your gait on a treadmill with slow mo video. Then they can have you try on several different shoes with the type of support you need (pronation, suppination, neutral) to test out again on the treadmill. Good fitting shoes with the correct type of support you need make a BIG difference.

16-Mar-14
How goes the training? Finally getting some decent weather here to be able to run outside.

End of the workout....body is toast....what better way to finish than doing something crazy??? Is this how you're supposed to use an elliptical?

16-Mar-14
Have run recently for 4.2 miles right at 45 min.

Have lost 3" off waist. Weight loss has leveled off at 5 lbs off. Muscle replacing fat.

Missed 4 days due to work and project planning but am back at it today.

Building arrows as we speak lol.

Less than 6 months till MT then AK

17-Mar-14
Been training for my June ultra. Finally was able to run outside all of last week. Managed to string together 4 ea 20 mi LR on previous 4 Saturdays. Yesterday I backed it up with a 14 mile run on Sun. Meat of training is back to back weekend runs. Running rest today as my legs need it.

Doing additional core and strength training also. Although my legs felt ok on Sun run, my whole body was working very hard. I am running less miles than marathon training, but just as tiring if not more so.

I pulled my target butt into the basement so I can shoot 6 yards in the family room!

17-Mar-14
I'm ramping it up as well, aiming for a June 22 marathon. Did a 10 miler on Saturday and will keep going up over the next couple of months. Also mixing in lifting, swimming, core exercises. I will soon be adding lunges and "hiking" on the treadmill (15% incline, 3 mph, and 50 lb pack on)

My weight is back down to 186 after the holiday binging brought me up to 192, I was at 185 when I hunted last year. If I get down to 180 by hunting season I'd be happy, but I'm not too stressed about dropping any more at this point as I'm focusing on peak endurance. I sure feel a lot better than when I weighed 235!!

06-Apr-14
No updates for awhile. How is everyone's training going?

I ran a 5K on Saturday. I have not been running outside much at all with the crappy weather but still somehow managed to win my age division. 1118 runners, 22 in my age division, 22:15. Z's marathon pace is faster than that! lol

Will be ramping up my running now and hope to do another 5K at sub 7 min. miles this summer.

07-Apr-14

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Congrats on the 5K Nick! I have run one 5K in the past 4 years. I am usually training for a marathon and I am not a big fan of racing while training. Also, I don't care for breathing that hard! The alarms in my head are constant going off, telling me to slow down.

I finally have been able to get some consistency in training. The weather has made it pretty easy to find excuses. One week ago today, school was cancelled due to blizzard warning. Yesterday we finally reached 60 degrees. First time in almost 6 months (Mid Nov).

In training for my ultra, my training regime/goal is to run 6 days a week and core/strength training 4 days a week. Last week I hit my goal for the first time. Ultra training has me running slower miles and allow me to skip running workouts. (My definition of a running workout is a run at marathon goal pace or faster). The lynch pin in my training is running back to back long runs on Sat/Sun. Early on, I struggled. But the last couple have actually been tolerable. (Maybe the weather has something to do with it)

For those who are into running, you might be aware that 2 weeks from today is the Boston marathon. Obvious we are all aware of the terrible act committed during last years race. This race has special meaning for me as I ran probably the best tactical race of my life at Boston. (2011) I studied the course for months and trained very hard. If I hit my goal, it would be my fastest marathon and my first sub 3 hour finish. I pulled it off with an official time of 2:58:57 finishing within 3 seconds of my target time. (At 45 years old). Although I have run a marathon faster since then, this one will always be my "first".

I started running in 2007 to get in shape for elk hunting. Guys like Cameron Hanes and Kyle Meitzner were examples of guys whom I could look to for insight. There were a ton of guys on Bowsite who chimed in on the "How are you preparing?" threads. These things provided me motivation to keep at it. Threads like this and guys like Nick show it is never too late to improve your physical well being. (BTW- I am not calling you old Nick! LOL!)

You do not need to run marathons to hunt or kill an elk. But being in shape sure allows you to get the most from your hunts.

Race times/performance stats and hero shots with a critter are the things that people see. People rarely see the training and preparation which went into those results. Training, much like integrity, is what you do when people are not looking.

Photo is a screen shot from my Patriot's Day run from 3 years ago. Thanks for allowing me this one self indulgence. Hopefully guys like Nick and others who post on this thread can provide the same motivation to thread viewers, which I received many years ago and continue to benefit from today.

07-Apr-14
So first run after the doctor-ordered year off and I was pretty happy.

I ran the Elk Grove, "Running of the Elk", half-marathon. My time 2 years ago was 1:58, I ran a 1:59 this go around which is better than I expected.

I got my wife to run her first event ever and she ran the half-marathon relay with a friend from work.

Afterwards there was the general post-run faire, pancake breakfast, live music, etc. etc. But what interested me most was right next to the event was an open field with a line of oak trees bisecting it and there were 2 of the biggest turkeys I've seen in a long time, both way over 20 lbs with ridiculously long beards, I'm talking 12" beards!!! Right in the middle of town. Typical.

07-Apr-14
Z, it's okay....I know I'm old! That was actually my first "official" 5K. I have run a couple of smaller trail/obstacle runs that were 5K's but not a regular street style 5K. I was dreading it because, like you, I knew it was going to feel like a long, excruciating sprint....and it was! All my races have been, 8K's, 10k's, 7 milers, and half marathons...never a 5K.

Let's see....26.2 miles, 2:58:57....that's a 6:50 pace. That still just blows me away! You're a stud. Will you pace me for my next 5K? lol

Hollywood, Good to hear your back on the road/trail. Awesome job on the half! That's my new favorite distance.

07-Apr-14
midwest- Racing a 5K breaks down like this.

Mile 1- Start out fast

Mile 2- Pick up the pace

Last 1.1 miles- Hang on for dear life!

08-Apr-14
Hey guys, I notice some folks wearing he weight vests. For those planning on a back pack hunt, why now just slap on a pack with some weights in it. Same think but it gets you used to supporting the load on your shoulders and you hips. Nothing like training with the real thing for the real thing.

Keep posting folks, proud of you all and its motivating me.

Hollywood, nice running. Don't want you for my bear guide :)

08-Apr-14
Z Barebow now that's funny. I got the hang on for dear life part down!!!

22-Apr-14
Signed up for a half marathon. South Bend Sunburst 5/31

Nearly done with p90x3 and will reset and do it again after the run.

Feel better than I have in years.

23-Apr-14

Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
I always have to laugh when I read these threads. My hats off to you for the efforts made and working out will help, but lets face it and be truthful, some guys have what it takes and others don't.

This guy has hunted this that and the other Mr. Fitness guy into the ground. They give up because they can’t keep up. Its mostly a mental thing way more than physical.

Louis will find out this fall on Kodiak Island. You either have what it takes or you don't.

23-Apr-14
I agree Bob, put chance favors the prepared and this is just one component.

23-Apr-14
Overweight, out-of-shape people have a shorter lifespan, are more susceptible to injury, heart disease, etc.

I hope to still be hunting the mountains well into my 70's and beyond. I wasn't blessed with natural hunting ability so I need lots of time to up my odds!

07-May-14
Finished my first 9 mile run ever. Feeling pretty good right now.

I'll take a shorter hop tomorrow and then backpack a 10 mile loop with a 50lb load on Saturday.

Hope everyone is having the success I am.

September is 3 months and 3 weeks away.

Bill

07-May-14
Congrats, Bill!

07-May-14
Is that a gun your toting blacktailbob?

08-May-14
At the beginning of the yr I had a sinus problem--when I got to the Dr. office I weighted in--242#s-- WoW -- Damn --etc.--- I committed at the moment to start loosing weight--I got on the scale this morning at an even 200#s-- went from 38" waist to 34"--XL shirt to L-- I am doing light weights to keep my muscles in shape-- I basically went on a diet-- feeling great -- trying to get in shape for my tree stand Co. Elk hunt with Charlie n Adam--;^) ;^)

08-May-14
Way to go Clutch.

Personally I wasn't trying to loose weight as much as redistribute it lol. Stanima and overall strength is improving.

In January, I was puking a mile into a treadmill jog. Yesterday, 9 miles and nary a burp.

Question to those on a running/cross training program:

I know I cannot train for altitude living around 750 feet, but will my gains here translate linearly to gains at altitude?

08-May-14
Bill, It only stands to reason the more efficient and "in shape" your cardiovascular system is, the easier time you will have acclimating to a higher altitude.

My experience has been little to no side effects when going from Iowa to around 10K feet in less than 24 hrs. I hunt hard the first day and I'm ready to roll the next day. I do take Diamox just prior to my trip and the first few days of my hunt as insurance against AS.

11-May-14
I had a very good day and a good week.

My running week finished up with a marathon yesterday. Ran over 8o miles in 5 days. Ran 20 miles Friday morning. Knowing my legs would be tired from previous days run, I started my Saturday marathon with the 3:35 pacer (~ 8:12 pace). Things were going very well and at the 20 mile point, I thanked the pacer and told him I wanted to open things up and I'll see them at the finish line. Although I have done zero speed work in training, I took off. Managed to avg 6:43 pace for final 10 K with last .2 miles ~ 6:14 pace. Finished at 3:25:10, just short of a BQ time (10 sec). I feel great and I'll continue on with my ultra training plan. Should be able to start tapering in 3 weeks or so.

Keep up the good work everyone!

11-May-14
Z - oh no! Did you know you were that close to qualifying? 6:43 is an awesome negative split for 10K after 20 miles. You must have qualified already with your ability to close that well. Or were you using this as training for an ultra?

12-May-14
Stayfit. I had no intent on qualifying. It was part of my ultra training. It was scary of how much energy I had. With 20/20 hindsight, I could have kicked it in slightly earlier and got it. But I had no clue I could shave that much time off in 6.2 miles.

I have run 8 previous marathons and had run BQ's in all of them. It would have been neat to keep the streak up, but since it wasn't my target, it didn't bother me a bit. (I ran Boston in 2011).

Took Sunday off and ran 12 miles this morning. All is good!

12-May-14
TBM, How do you plan on shaving 7" off your height? From 6'1" to 5'6"....ha!

12-May-14
Blacktail Bob is spot on, however, he is comparing us to possibly the "toughest man on earth"...

TBM...That's not Bob...that's the "toughest man on earth"...Roy Roth.

I tried to keep up with Roy for a week and ended up with a torn ACL. This fall brings some unique challenges as I "try" to stay/get in shape with a torn ACL...Plan is to climb hills 3-4 days a week and work the bad leg with weights the other 3 days. Went on my first hill climb this weekend since the "incident" two weeks ago and it went ok. Will start in the gym with a trainer starting tomorrow. With an AK Sheep/Grizz combo, a Central Barren Caribou hunt in Manitoba, a Goat/Moose/Bear combo in BC and a Coues deer hunt in AZ, I've got work to do.

31-May-14
The day has come for the culmination of my 1st training goal. 1/2 marathon in 2 hours. Really hoping just to finish. An injury 3 weeks ago slowed my training but all is well now, or we shall see at least lol. Wish me luck

31-May-14
Go Bill go!!!

31-May-14
Done! 2:33:22 official time!

31-May-14
Congrats, Bill! How do you feel?

01-Jun-14
Thx MW, pretty sore today, walking around like Tin-Man, but still on cloud nine.

Need another race to work towards.

01-Jun-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
lol....ain't it the truth?

01-Jun-14
Congrats Bill.

As far as soreness, go for a walk around the neighborhood. 20 minutes or so. Anything you can do to push the soreness out.

Give yourself a few days before you try and run again. And when you do, make it short and slow. (As if you will have any choice in the matter! LOL!)

04-Jun-14

Hollywood's embedded Photo
Hollywood's embedded Photo
Bucket List Item #8-"Run a Marathon."

CHECK!

Just wrapped the Newport Marathon last weekend with an official time of 04:28:19.

If you're looking for a great marathon as your first run. This one came highly recommended to me by a serious "marathoner". It was desribed as "...your best chance to qualify for Boston." Cool temps, scenic flat course at sea-level. It's capped at 1000 runners for the marathon, so it sells out in about 2 weeks after registration opens online.

Fun run, I followed that up the next day with an upper-body workout consisting of reeling in light-tackle rockfish and ling cod.

04-Jun-14
Awesome, Hollywood, congrats!

04-Jun-14
Hey Bill, congrats on your half. That's a great first run.

04-Jun-14
Thank you! and hat's off to you Hollywood.

06-Jun-14
Smiling after running 26.2 miles! Nicely done Hollywood!

• Sitka Gear