BB 30-Jul-14
Alpinehunter 31-Jul-14
Paul@thefort 31-Jul-14
wifishkiller 31-Jul-14
Fuzzy 31-Jul-14
Skipnoid 18-Sep-14
Skipnoid 18-Sep-14
26-Jan-14
The main reason for this thread is I wanted to know if anyone has tried or considered any novel ways to take a Mt lion without the use of dogs.

It seems like there's a book about everything. There's nothing that I've found about killing a mt lion without dogs.

I know some people have called them in. What about decoys or any other means?

It's my goal to take the super 10 and as many of the NA 29 DIY (I count 18 possible which includes Tule since I live in CA) without gaining residence in AK or Canada, provided I don't end up moving some day.

The bison and sheep tags may be the toughest to obtain, but it seems the mt lion will be the toughest to do on my own.

26-Jan-14
I have a buddy who has seen five different cats out in the woods. One time he walked up on a lion sleeping (thought it was dead).

Last month he saw one walking and had one walk right by him at 50 yards. He had a tag but didn't have a weapon with him. This same guy called one in predator hunting once and shot it. Boils down to either lucky or spending a lot of time in the woods.

I think calling is a good way. Decoys would help.

I've heard if guys finding a track and just following it and catching up to the cat...but that could be days.

Another method would be find a fresh kill. Know a guy who found a lion kill. He sat on it and had a cat come back to it and got it.

26-Jan-14
HotM00n on here has done it and on purpose. His story in crazy awesome...

It can happen by chance, or... Find a hot track and lace up your boots.

26-Jan-14
luck or fresh kill would be the only way.

26-Jan-14
The gentlemen who received the Montana Bowhunters Association "Bowhunter of the Year" last year has killed two cats off of the ground two consecutive years.

26-Jan-14
That's pretty impressive. A guy could go a lifetime without that happening.

Finding a lion kill would be the best chance you have I think.

26-Jan-14
I've come across 2 lion kills here in SoCal, but we can no longer hunt them here because politicians know more about wildlife than biologists.

To think of all the time I've spent, boots on the ground, all the places I've gone, through all the mazes of thorns and thickets, to come across 2 lion kills in all that time, all those miles and hours...

Seems impossible out of state. Seems impossible unless you're doing it locally.

27-Jan-14
Don't know if it is legal, but what about baiting?

Not sure if a mountain lion would even come to a bait. They may prefer to make there own kills.

27-Jan-14
I've found a bunch of kills and also know some guys than put in some ridiculous time calling without success. One guy I know has called a few into rifle range but not bow range. I think it boils down to a few things: 1. Access to cats 2. Burning desire to hunt them (If we all dedicated as much time to killing cats with the bow as we do all other big game, there'e be some more bow-killed cats) 3. Time spent in the woods.

I've also thought very seriously about running them on foot. I'll let ya know how that works out, haha. Hopefully with a HDYLMK!

27-Jan-14
Gary Renfro, from Lakewood, Co, did it a few years ago with his longbow by following the tracks.

27-Jan-14
The Guy that Backcountry is talking about walked them down in the snow and killed them with his bow. Back to back. Very impressive to me. HUNT

27-Jan-14
everything's more fun with dogs :-)

27-Jan-14
You can decoy Lions by dressing up as a jogger and go out trolling for them in the National Parks.

27-Jan-14
Ive called two cats in totally by accident in the same area two years apart. Also one of our hunting partners took a cat with his bow during a hunt in same area. All three cats came into elk cow and calf calls.. In Idaho during end of Sept. However since the wolf population has grown, we gave up hunting the area..Seems no elk answer the call.,and the cats have moved out as well. I would think if a person found a track,and could locate a good area. By calling with a lost calf call you might stand a chance.

27-Jan-14
We live in the highest quota unit in CO, have had several deer kills in our yard and I have only seen lions tracks.

It is realistic to get one with a rifle by chance.

There are a lot of hounds men who run dogs, why not just hook up with one.

27-Jan-14
Because I want to do it by myself.

StormCloud, that's what I was thinking.

27-Jan-14
Every year South Dakota gets their quota without the use of dogs. Either we have really good hunters or loss of cats. LOL

27-Jan-14
Without question, after doing this hunt with dogs, to go afield and taking a Mt.Lion without them is a major accomplishment.

Very impressive indeed.

27-Jan-14
Cats aren't considered the ghost of the woods for nothing. In decades of hiking and hunting in Mtn Lion habitat I have seen a grand total of one, and it was distracted because it was taking out a deer. I could see potentially snowtracking one back to a cave, then setting up and waiting. If you do get one, be sure to write it up.

27-Jan-14
The guy here in Wyoming that Hunt Man and Backcountry referred to did it with a recurve... He is a hunting stud and a great guy.

27-Jan-14
And then a friend of mine bought a FoxPro, took it out last Fri & on 4th setup first day he's ever called, he killed a lion (rifle) LOL. Talk about beating the odds!

I would think the most doable would be tracking in snow.

Also heard of guys that glass for ravens to locate lion kills then sit & wait.

27-Jan-14
I've seen 5 lions in the wild without dogs. I've come across hundreds of kills on the winter range while shed hunting. Never have I seen a lion on or near a kill. I think finding a super fresh kill would be a good bet but loading up a pack and a good pair of hikers coupled with the notion that it may take a few days to catch him would be a great adventure.

Idaho has reduced fee lion areas and there are no shortage of cats. Could be fun.

27-Jan-14
Sounds like fun to me Nick, when are we going?

27-Jan-14
Yeah, I'll have one of those $31 tags when we go to the Selway-Bitteroot Wilderness in Sept, but lion hunting will be an afterthought because we'll be working on getting my buddy his first elk.

It does seem like a good place to do this kind of thing though.

I was also thinking NV because I already have a hunting license and the tag is only about 100 bucks. It's so close, I could go for the weekend after a fresh snow.

I like the idea of looking for crows to find kills. That's a good idea.

27-Jan-14
In my experience by the time the crows and magpies find a lion kill the lion is gone. But it is a good way to locate a cat if you're having a hard time finding a track. If you luck out and find a fresh kill that's a different story.

As said above I think your best bet would be to walk a fresh track out, you never know you could end up on the right end of its nights travel.

04-Feb-14

emarelk47's embedded Photo
Ive spent a few weeks chasing cats with just a call, my boots and my bow this year here in CO. Ive been just behind them but haven't seen any. I did follow these two sets of tracks for about 100-150 yards, but they started going through some very thick oak brush and I pulled off. I think they may have been a female in heat and a tom, since the larger of the tracks was always off to the side about 10-15 yards and seemed more fresh. The only thing that threw me was that the larger set of tracks had a shorter stride length than the smaller tracks.

04-Feb-14

04-Feb-14

These are all from one track.

04-Feb-14
I (unknowingly) cow called a big Tom inside 8 yards in Colorado quite a few years ago.

Actually, he crouched down and watched me climb down out of my tree stand. I turned around and he was right there!

Never had one come in while Turkey calling (that I know of), but my Cousin did once (in NorCal)

I think if the situation was right, it could be done with a decoy, like this one (with fawn distress calls)

Forest Muley Doe photo forestmuleydecoy_zpsa52282ae.jpg

04-Feb-14
I cut a big track a week ago during a light snow that had to have been less than 1/2 hour old. Was busy trying to catch his distant smaller cousin but would be fun to give it a try. Worst case, you get to trace their steps and see what a cat does for few hours. I've followed a few out of curiosity and its interesting as heck.

04-Feb-14
IMO hardest animal in NA to kill without dogs. Mainly due to their illusivness. In all the years I have only had 2 times where I think what I saw was a cat but never 100% confirmed it. Jus quick glimpse. Would be a fun adventure to try for one but you need unlimited time and luck to stumble on one. I often wonder how many times I've walked within cpl hundred yards of one an never seen it. Spooky!

04-Feb-14
Seen just glimpses of cats 4 times over many many years, never more than few seconds. Really was like seeing a ghost, just vanished, never seen one twice.

ID a few years ago I was glassing for elk and hiked to a rock ledge that literally hung out on top of the world over a huge bowl. Out on the ledge which was flat as a table and about 8x8, I sat and started to glass and was completely amazed the command position you had over that big bowl, you could see into every nook and cranny, see everything. Spectacular. No elk but glassed up several mule deer in just a minute or two.

Then I noticed a strong smell.... a nasty odor, I knew the smell but couldn't quite place it right away.... then it hit me, smelled just like when a tomcat gets in your car or garage and sprays all over.

Behind me was a wall about 6'high and a shallow "cave" 4 or 5' cut back in one section. One part of the wall was clearly soaked to about 3 feet up, still wet. Marked just like a house cat... only huge and LOTS of it.

Made my hair stand up for sure. I glassed hard for the cat all around but never saw it. I tried to go back to glassing but kept "hearing" things behind me. Finally just got out of there. But I've spent a good deal of time imagining a big tom laying on that ledge like the king of the world, looking for his next meal. I would imagine generations of cats for a very long time had used that spot. It was pretty commanding.

Related to hunting them, always wondered how often they may come back to a place like that, or how long they would even be in the area and use it. I know they have huge ranges, but....

Anyway, never will forget that smell....or the way my hair stood up and my skin crawled....

29-Jul-14

bjanecke13's embedded Photo
bjanecke13's embedded Photo
I killed a lion last year on foot, tracked it up in the snow and killed it. Had a collar on it. You dont need dogs.

29-Jul-14
Nice!

29-Jul-14

Jim B's embedded Photo
Jim B's embedded Photo

29-Jul-14

Destroyer350's Link
There are some good reads are on Rainshadow's site. It has some really interesting stuff on there.

29-Jul-14
everytime I try for cougar I end up with dogs

29-Jul-14
My 2 cents - make contact with people that have property with cats and beg them to let you know if they spot a fresh kill. Once they do, set up a blind and wait.

Another option would be to borrow a page from the leopard hunting book and set up your own kill bait someplace where there's a lot of cats (in a state where such baiting is legal).

Third option, hack the access code to a radio collared one and track it down electronically.

29-Jul-14

I killed a lion last year on foot, tracked it up in the snow and killed it. Had a collar on it. You dont need dogs.

You just need the frequency of the cat you are after!

29-Jul-14
Speed I was thinking the same thing! Haha.

My buddy followed the winter deer and shot one with a rifle.

Odds have to be less than percent. Not easy stuff.

30-Jul-14
It's cool to see this thread surface again as I've been thinking about this more lately with my new schedule.

Grats to bjanecke13 on your cat, that's quite an accomplishment!

Anyways, with a month on, month off, and having spent some time on the ground in eastern NV this fall (family vacation), it seems there's a lot of places within 4-8 hours of home that I could hit the ground running at the bottom 1000 ft of a fresh snow fall in an attempt to track one down.

Worst case scenario, I get a good workout in beautiful country, learn a thing or two, and eat a $100 tag. Well, actually, worst case scenario would be getting mauled by a lion, but it seems like a great time (tracking lions, not getting mauled).

30-Jul-14
I have been one of a lucky few that has killed a lion without dogs. I have done a lot of predator calling over the years. I Killed my lion at 9 yards while using distress calls. She was 7 years old and 130# female. I am hoping to starting hunting preds again soon.

3 years ago I was able to walk out bobcats on 2 different occasions. Cut a fresh tracking the snow and just started following. I am hoping that I can do the same with lions this year. I will be packing my bow, but have no issue at all with using my firearm. Lions are scary animals and I have had more than my fair share of encounters (over a dozen times I have been within 50 yards of different lions).

Best advice is just go spend a lot of time where the lions live!

30-Jul-14
I was down scouting for elk last week and as I was standing by a pond I plan to hunt, I had a mountain lion walk in for a drink. It saw me about the time I saw it and off it ran. I didn't have time to even get a shot with my camera.

In my life I have spent a ton of time in the woods and have only seen 8 lions in my life. Four of those eight I called in while mule deer hunting. It was a female with three 3/4 grown kittens. They surrounded the tree I was calling from. Minutes before I watched them pass on a trail 20 yards from my stand and decided to try to call them. I had given up calling and put my call in my pack and was back hunting mule deer when I saw one, then two, then three and then four. They had surrounded the tree i was sitting.

The very first lion I ever saw was while hunting the roadless area of he Bookcliffs. I was 48 years old before I ever saw a lion in the wilds. I was stalking a nice buck and moving in for a shot, and while looking around to make sure i didn't spook an unseen deer, I noticed what I thought was a deer, but immediately it turned into a lion. I forgot about the deer and just watched and positioned myself to watch the cat walk towards me on a nearby trail. It walked 20 yards past me. It was a big tom and could have easily been taken with a bow. That is the only lion, that I, in all my 73 plus years, could have had a good shot at, with the exception of the mom or her three kittens, which would not have been legal nor would I have wanted to shoot any of them. But the tom was big and nice!

Here's a photo that I got off one of my trail cameras some years ago just about a mile from our archery club property.

photo 3-11.jpg

Here are a few others that were on my trail cameras in the past.

photo 2-11.jpg

photo 1-14.jpg

Have a great bow hunt. BB

31-Jul-14
One alternative would be to learn about hounds, develop a small pack and kill one with your own dogs. There would obviously be some training logistics to deal with. It would be a multi-year project but you would most likely kill a cat eventually and have a tremendously rewarding experience.

31-Jul-14

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Cats are callable with a predator call but the odds are slim to see one.

I did this a few years ago in mid January here in Colorado. I had seen a cat in the area while deer hunting in Sept, and was able to hike in a mile to the edge of the canyon three months later.

After 25 minutes of calling, the cat show up snaking its way through the tree and popped out 20 yards away. I was just about a full draw when he saw my movement and dashed away. I tried other places with no luck.

Here is a pic of the bear I called in and killed. So calling in a lion is also possible but just a lot of hard work and as with any critter, you got to be in the right area and find the right cat to come.

31-Jul-14
I love running hounds but if calling, I would mix it with following fresh tracks.

31-Jul-14
BB your pics are amazing...

18-Sep-14
Anyone know if baiting for lions is legal in AZ? ... The reg's don't say that it's NOT legal, whereas for bear it's the first item listed.

18-Sep-14
Never mind ... Found it ... can't do it.

• Sitka Gear