tonyo6302 14-Apr-14
trkytrack 14-Apr-14
T Mac 14-Apr-14
elkmtngear 15-Apr-14
Inshart 15-Apr-14
BULELK1 18-Apr-14
CAM 01-Aug-14
05-Feb-14
This is not really a pig hunting story, although it does include a pig hunt.

This is about the accomplishments of a young woman who happens to be a huntress, and my daughter. As a Proud Father, I feel a need to share it, so please bear with me.

My Wife and I returned a couple weeks ago from Parris Island, South Carolina, where we had the privelege of seeing our daughter Holli graduate from Marine Basic Training.

We arrived very early in the AM, and we were able to grab about 3 hours sleep before the Battalion did a run-by on the street. We were unable to pick her out in her platoon...they all looked like dudes!

We Make Marines photo wemakemarines_zps4b8a35b5.jpg

Then, a few hours later, we watched them march into the large indoor facility in formation, and after a short ceremony, they finally released her to us for a few hours. I swear she grew two inches (posture is everything)!

standing tall photo standingtall_zpse52feac0.jpg

05-Feb-14
After hanging out with us for a few hours, we had to give her back. We watched them in formation as they did a rehearsal drill on the parade field. The snap and focus was quite impressive! Who's kid is that???

Eyes Front photo eyesfront_zpseb5e2030.jpg

Next Day was the formal Graduation Ceremony. Just so impressive all the way around, every platoon was tight and snappy! Finally, we were able to get her for 10 days!

Holli Dress Attention photo hollidressattention_zps683e6753.jpg

05-Feb-14
Instead of going straight home...we headed up into Northern SC to a buddy's hunting lease. The only rental car available when we got there was a Suburban...here's a pic of my Wife driving "the Beast"!

Beast Driver photo beastdriver_zps3132d080.jpg

Got there just in time for a night pig hunt from some baited stands (I brought our bows/ arrows from California, and I had made some 200 lumen red lights for our stabilizers). It was all of 18 degrees... a miserable four hour sit with just a couple of corn stealing coons showing up the first night...but my daughter toughed it out with me.

05-Feb-14

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
Turns out these pigs were leading a charmed life. We went in the next day to check the cornpiles, and the ground was littered with pig tracks. They had eaten hundreds of pounds of corn over the last month, but they avoided the cornpile with the trail cam on it!

05-Feb-14

Sorry, goofed the last Pic...this was the one I was looking for

05-Feb-14

Pigs were a no show the second night...but I got to see a herd of Whitetail come into bow range right before dusk, with two bucks in tow. An awesome experience for me, having only hunted out West!

We finished off our trip with the rifle range the next morning, my daughter got to show off her skills with my buddy's AR...she was like a kid in a candy store!

05-Feb-14

Holli is not just any chick Marine...she has a very specialized skillset...she will be attending the Navy School of Music to become a Marine Musician.

05-Feb-14

We flew her home with us to NorCal. She had several things she wanted to cross off her bucket list on her 10 Day leave...a quick trip to L.A. to see Family, and a drop-in soccer game on Super Bowl Sunday when she got back to Redding.

05-Feb-14

And of course...music. She was able to join in a performance with the Shasta College Jazz Band

05-Feb-14
Holli told me that backcountry hunting really helped her get through basic. The qualifying march with the 60 pound pack was killer for some of those girls. Holli told me "they do not know how to wear their packs correctly", and "this was nothing compared to the hikes we did, Dad...it's all flat ground out here"!

Out of 88 recruits in Holli's platoon...only 55 were able to complete Basic

photo hollistalk_zps280c595e.jpg

05-Feb-14

elkmtngear's Link
So, Holli flew back to Camp Geiger in North Carolina yesterday.

Now comes the really amazing part of the story.

She not only got through Marine Basic...she beasted it!

She qualified for an experimental program, where girls are attempting to complete Infantry Training. So far, 88 girls have tried, and only 18 have successfully made it through.

No Women Officers have been able to complete this training...they are making no concessions...they will train as men for the next 59 days (see link for the story)

We initially tried to talk her out of this, because we feared it would interfere with her Music School. But, it appears to have been run up the chain, and the music school is backing her 100%. She will be the first Marine Musician (Male or Female) to attempt this training.

She volunteered for this because she truly believes Women should be allowed to fight. I told her "never volunteer for anything"...you can see how well she listens to me ;)

Sorry for the long rant, I'm just so pumped up about my little girl. Thanks for reading!

photo airportsmile_zps12c4b0e5.jpg

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

05-Feb-14
That's freakin awesome !!!

05-Feb-14
Congrats to Holli and one proud Dad!!!! Thanks for sharing Jeff!

05-Feb-14
Congrats to both of you. You have to be proud. Bob

05-Feb-14
What a great story and what a great young lady.

As parents you should be proud.

Congrats to Holli and parents.

05-Feb-14
Way to go. Great story. HUNT

05-Feb-14
Please thank her for her service and congratulate her.

Tell her to kick some Azzzz!

05-Feb-14
Congrats again to her and her parents!

05-Feb-14
I have a classmate that has been in "The Presidents Own" Marine band since 1988. Congrats to your daughter and good luck on the infantry training. You did a fantastic job it sounds like.

05-Feb-14
Congrats to all of you !!!

05-Feb-14
"I have a classmate that has been in "The Presidents Own" Marine band since 1988"

Brian, few people realize what caliber Musician you have to be to be in the "President's Own". Your classmate must be an amazing musician!

The Music School is hella tough. A large percentage wash out of it, and most of the Musicians have a music degree before they are even accepted.

This was our concern, since Holli is one of the youngest musicians to ever be accepted (she is only 19)

But, the commander of the Music School is giving Holli an extra month to come home on Recruiter Assistance before she enters the Music School...so she can hone down her chops before she leaves.

05-Feb-14
very nice jeff and thanks for sharing!id be proud as well.

05-Feb-14
Congrats to Holli and her parents! It's great to be proud of your kids!

05-Feb-14
Not your home town community band for sure. Talked to him about it at our last class reunion. And you are correct about music degrees and the variety and backgrounds of the folks involved. She must be pretty amazing herself as not just anyone even gets a chance. Again congrats

05-Feb-14
That's incredible. I'm honored that she is serving my country. Bravo!

05-Feb-14
Thanks to all!

"She must be pretty amazing herself as not just anyone even gets a chance"

Took 5 auditions for her to qualify, over the course of almost a year and a half.

They started auditioning her when she was still a Junior in High School.

She's one of those kids that gets by on being hard-headed. They would give her a piece of music, and she would work it for hours until she mastered it! She truly has a passion for music, and they could see that in her.

05-Feb-14
Congrats to your daughter, and o you and tour wife on doing a fine job of raising her.

05-Feb-14
" but my daughter toughed it out with me "....... Of course she did, she's a MARINE ! Congrats to your wife and you , and especially to your daughter. A proud accomplishment for you all !

05-Feb-14
Thanks Don...I was whining and dancing around like a little pup when we re-grouped on the trail...she just laughed at me :D

06-Feb-14
Congrats! Very cool!

06-Feb-14
Very nice! Congrats!

Mark

07-Feb-14
It seems both of you did a good job as parents. She's on the right track. Great story. Congrats!

08-Feb-14
You obviously are (and should be) very proud!

18-Feb-14
Awesome! Semper Fi! Welcome to the Corps Holli!

18-Feb-14
Thanks guys

I got a text from her this weekend when I was at the NABA Show in Reno:

"I fit in so well, they treat me like a dude, it is so awesome. I would make a nifty azz dude...Still glad I'm a girl though. I can't wait to tell you about it"!

18-Feb-14
I am pulling for her. I hope she can achieve all her goals and I pray she never sees war.

18-Feb-14
Congrats. I can tell you are very proud of your daughter. Very nice to see.

11-Mar-14
Congrats! Walking across that Parade Deck is an incredibly special moment... And to have her dad there was extra special. Tell her good luck from one Marine to another with the Infantry training!

11-Mar-14
Congratulations.

S.O.I. is tough. Tell her to get some Repel (Permethrin) and spray it on all her clothes and 782 (Deuce) gear. Them North Carolina Chiggars are the worst I have ever experienced.

Semper Fi, one Marine to another!

Tony

11-Mar-14
Thanks Tony.

She won't finish this until May so I think she may get into some serious chiggers!

Thank You for your Service!

12-Mar-14
Do you think they will let her volunteer for Recon School?

( She needs to be a really really really good swimmer for that )

12-Mar-14
Awesome!!!! Congratulations to all and best of Luck to Holli and her future challenges!!!

>>>>-------->

12-Mar-14
"Do you think they will let her volunteer for Recon School"?

LOL, she's a damn good swimmer too. I'll be very glad when she quits trying to be a dude, and becomes a musician, sticking to the original plan!

12-Mar-14
Jeff, Congrats on your parenting skills....looks like Holli is a great kid

12-Mar-14
Thanks Bruce...it was hard work, like trying to raise a Thoroughbred or something! Both Mom and Dad are stubborn as hell, and I think she got a double dose of that DNA.

But she is very appreciative these days of being raised with two strong disciplinarians.

12-Mar-14

tonyo6302's embedded Photo
tonyo6302's embedded Photo
. . . Reconnaissance School - just down the road from S.O.I. . . . . . .

. . . Then up to Fort Story and west to Coronado for SCUBA . . . . Then to Fort Benning for Jump School . . . then to ( I forget ) for Paramedic Training . . . .

Ya never know, that could be your baby someday!

;^)

12-Mar-14
Wow, Tony I bet you could kill an elk with your bare hands ;)

Her ultimate goal is actually "calculus based economics"...I'd be happy with that!

DI told her "Ervin, you're a dork...but you are the most intense dork I've ever seen"!

12-Mar-14
"DI told her "Ervin, you're a dork...but you are the most intense dork I've ever seen"! "

LOL.

I did not mean to give a wrong impression, I was not in the Infantry. I did 20 with the Marine Air Wings and Retired in '96. I just know about it via my Stepson, who was with 2nd Recon Bn at Camp Lejeune.

I have a hard time opening a medicine bottle, let alone wrestling an Elk.

Keep us posted on her progress.

12-Mar-14
Congratulations to your Daughter. She is among the best of the best in our Military. Spent 5 years in the Navy & 2 attached to Marine's as a Fleet Marine Corpsman (Medic). She will do you proud..

12-Mar-14
Thank You for your Service, John. I was an Army Medic for 3 years.

Made me truly appreciate Marines when I saw her graduation, no comparison to what we were as finished projects!

13-Mar-14
AWESOME, good for Holli,you & wife. Forrest

21-Mar-14
Been getting some good text messages from Holli...here's one she sent me about a week ago:

"LOL, so the guys and I were "cleaning"...and they bet me 10 bucks I couldn't fit...they said "no f###ing way"...I won"!

photo Hollidryer_zps415fec90.jpg

21-Mar-14
She texted me yesterday...seems she has been promoted to guide:

"Lol so I guess I'm guide >.< ,but of ITB holy crap lol! Everyone makes fun of me.

Oh. Sgt carow, when I did the first night shoot and I finally got my rifle to stop malfunctioning and sh** it was just rattling off shots it felt so great. He called me a badass bitch... And with the grenade launcher today he said he was "seriously impressed with my ingenuity and speed" lol!

I love it so much here, hurts so bad but it's all worth it. You got me through the march that night though, and I was in the most pain I've ever been in so thanks anyways! Ugh! So motivated. Have fun! Can't wait to talk to you daddy! 10 k tomorrow fml so nervous !"

21-Mar-14
She called me this morning...she made the 10K !

But they didn't stop there...according to her...they took them straight to an obstacle course that made the one in Basic Training look like a kid's play structure...she said it was huge! She blew through most of it except the rope climb, she struggled with that.

Then, they made them all jog with the 90 pound ruck back to the barracks.She said she was about ready to puke by then!

Makes me appreciate my cushy life! :D

21-Mar-14
Great story Jeff, you should be proud.

21-Mar-14
What a great update I enjoy following along and really pulling for your daughter! God Bless!

21-Mar-14
Great story, please keep the updates coming. Congratulations to Holli and her parents! You guys have a hell of a lot to be proud of.

Thank you Holli, (and all of you who served) for your service.

21-Mar-14
Jeff, I have really enjoyed following the "Holli" thread.....an amazing young lady!! One little problem?? Will there ever be a possible son-in-law good enough....LOL. She has an amazing life ahead of her.....keep us posted !!

Joe

21-Mar-14
Joe I think I will always have sympathy for whoever she ends up with...she will make him her b**ch LOL!

07-Apr-14
Just got a phone call this AM...Holli finished the 15K!

She said it was tough, there were three different times when she was ready to break down, but she was able to mentally slap herself, and breathe through it.

3 1/2 weeks left to go. She said she thinks the 20K might be as early as next week. Then it's all live fire drills and such, all the stuff she absolutely loves.

I'm starting to think she's got this in the bag!

07-Apr-14
Fantastic parenting.

Anyone whose ever tried will tell you that.

07-Apr-14
Thank You, John.

Holli was always "willful"...tough to break. When she focused on something she would always dog it down somehow. I didn't allow my kids to say the word "can't"...it was a thing with me.

I cannot take the credit for this one, she found her groove, and she is excelling like we always knew she would; she always excelled at anything she was passionate about.

It was a lot of work raising this girl (like a wild mustang).

I told her this morning how proud of her I am, and how amazing she is.

She came into this World with her eyes wide open. They laid her on her Mom's belly, and she locked on me with those big dark eyes, and I knew I was screwed.

She owns my heart every day.

09-Apr-14
Congratulations to Holli! That's one determined young lady.

09-Apr-14
Thanks everyone.

She is heading out to the field, gets to shoot the M27...she's really excited about it. She LOVES to shoot, and she is deadly accurate. Top female shooter in ITB so far.

20K is MONDAY!!!

14-Apr-14
Update:

Holli called me this morning (in tears)...she didn't make the 20K.

She has been nursing a groin injury for the last 5 weeks. Didn't want to tell them about it. They kept trying to get her to quit, she refused. The Sgt behind her told her "If I pass you, I'm going to rip that pack off you"! She tried to stay ahead of him as long as she could, but the pain was too great and wore her down. She made 15K out of the 20K before they took her pack.

She refused to get into the ambulance, and limped her way to the end without the pack, encouraging others all the way. So she finished with class, she just failed the requirement to get the Infantry bars.

Up side is...she gets to come home on Recruiter Assistance until May 20th when she ships out to the Navy School of Music. This will give her time to hone down her chops, and get treatment for her broken body.

I want to thank all of you for your support in following Holli on this thread. Her adventures are just beginning, couldn't be more proud as a parent!

Best Wishes, Jeff

14-Apr-14
Good for her that she refused the ride. Groin injuries HURT !! That is something to be proud of.

I bet there were a few men who also didn't make it.

14-Apr-14
SemperFi Holli. Good luck in all you do.

14-Apr-14
Thanks for keeping us updated and great effort on Holli's part. Best of luck to her in the School of Music and enjoy your time together!

15-Apr-14
Thanks Guys. Here is the story as she told me by text:

"The other girls that fell out of the hike fell out before 10K, and they're walking fine now, and they rode in the van. They took my pack @15K but left me my weapon and flack jacket. They kept trying to get me to get in the van but I couldn't...I had to keep the rest of my platoon mates going. The Captain told me he was extremely impressed with me, and that I shouldn't feel down or sad at all, 'cause I made it. He said he couldn't believe how I was dragging my leg behind me.

I guess I can't do everything! But I'll be damned if I don't try..."

15-Apr-14
That right there was better than all the "hunting" stories I've read.

When you see her next, after giving her your hug - give her one from all her fans here on bowsite!

All the way to the top for that girl!

OUTSTANDING .... simply .... OUTSTANDING.

18-Apr-14
Damn Jeff---how have I missed this thread? sorry...

She is doing great and as you know my Anne Marie is in the Corp too.

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

01-Aug-14
I don't visit here much anymore but I was bored today at work and decided to check out the Hog Forum, glad I did.

Great Thread, congratulations to Hollie and Mom & Dad!!

• Sitka Gear