Bill in MI 27-Jul-14
Bill in MI 27-Jul-14
jtelarkin08 28-Jul-14
Gaur 28-Jul-14
Beendare 28-Jul-14
Gaur 28-Jul-14
21-Feb-14
Going on my first bow hunt for moose this fall

Can you take a close frontal shot on moose like elk? I shoot a Mathews Z7 extreme at 70 lb and 29" gold tip kinetics.

What is the aim point if you can?

21-Feb-14
that might be a bad choice, the head posture and bell might not give the clear opening required for the shot.

21-Feb-14
Shoot for the lungs with a broadside shot and aim low! Good luck!

21-Feb-14
Thanks. I am good with that. Just didn't want regrets.

Aim low? How low? Like a heart shot on a whitetail?

Any other advice for a first timer. Been practicing to 60 yards. Throwing 10" patterns

21-Feb-14
Only with a Rage

21-Feb-14
Forget the frontal shot.....HUGE bones in the way as well as the bell, and often the nose!!!

Broadside or quartering away. I have always aimed tight to the front leg about 1/3 of the way up. I also make sure the leg closest to you is forward.

Also....pick your spot and stay focused on it. moose vital is big and if you don't pick your spot there is a lot of room to make a bad shot on.

It's good you are practicing out to 60, but between me and my best friend, we have taken 7 moose and the longest shot on all those was 35 yards!!

21-Feb-14
Unless your life is in danger...that would probably be a real dumb thing to do on a moose.

22-Feb-14
I've seen several moose frontal shots turn out just like most every other frontal that hits it's mark. I think BB 10 ringed a frontal on his last moose, went down fast, I forget the yards but in sight.

I would agree the bell may be confusing. The anatomy and target offered, a person would have to be confident in.

But I don't think there is any hit more devastating than a WELL PLACED frontal shot. As always, it's up to the archer to make the decision.... and MAKE the shot.

Or pass on it. Nothing wrong with that either. Some of my best shots in hindsight were the ones I never took.

But OTOH.... nothing hits the ground without actually TAKING a shot. Even a great shot opportunity has a large element of risk.

All in the eye of the bowholder.... he makes the decision and he is the one who lives with it.

22-Feb-14
I have this recurring dream where I have a moose at full draw at 10 yards straight on, but the bell is in the way.

22-Feb-14
Certainly you can take that shot it would just be stupid to do so

22-Feb-14
"All in the eye of the bowholder"

I like that TD...

No experience with moose, but I would not take a frontal shot.

22-Feb-14
Part of my summer conditioning for this coming Sept hunt for moose in Ak will be to study the animals anatomy. This includes frontal shot possibilities.

Discussion with my guide will be included once we meet.

If I have a shooter bull facing me at 15 yards, I will know where to aim.

Passed on a nice bull elk in NM that was facing us, but at 43 yards. My guide said to shoot, I told him its too far for that shot. Never released an arrow on that hunt.

22-Feb-14
Can and should are fr apart in meaning. I have taken shots that I should not have taken and I have passed on shots that might have been ok. I sleep better after that latter event even when the former results in a dead animal. There is a certain let down after a "lucky shot"

22-Feb-14

>>>--arrow1-->'s Link
Never Ever Take the frontal shot. You can get lucky but it is a Very Poor percentage shot.

22-Feb-14

>>>--arrow1-->'s Link

22-Feb-14
Always wait for broadside or quartering away, 90% of the time the moose will step sideways giving you your shot at the vitals.

22-Feb-14
Randy ulmer is a great bowhunter. No doubt there. But just because he says no frontal, doesn't make it so for me. He also shoots a mechanical. Does that make those Broadheads the messiah?

22-Feb-14

carcus's embedded Photo
carcus's embedded Photo
It has to be a close shot, my moose from last fall, 10-12 yard shot actually hit 3 inches to the left and struck the front leg bone, the bone shattered into bone shards the arrow penetrated through a rib into the lungs diaphragm and into the stomach. I would not recommend this shot to anyone but if you do use a good BH no expandable. I used a darton ds3800 at 62lbs a 340 fmj tipped with the best and strongest BH available a QAD exodus!

22-Feb-14

carcus's embedded Photo
carcus's embedded Photo
Pic of the front leg bone, arrow struck just below the shoulder joint.

22-Feb-14
I must precede my statement by saying I have never hunted moose yet just see them but I see no reason if you have a clear frontal shot not to take it if you are comfortable with it. Deer, elk Moose. Medium, Big, Biggest. Same basic structure, same shot opportunities. We know it is deadly on elk and whitetails if taken properly why would it be any different on a moose? Sure bones are bigger if you miss, but that's like saying the guts are bigger if you miss a broadside shot. Actually using that line of argument the "hole" without bones that you need to get your arrow in is bigger on a moose.

22-Feb-14
Never Ever Take Frontal shots with an arrow ! Its the hunt not the kill. Be fair to the animal you hunt.

22-Feb-14

>>>--arrow1-->'s Link

22-Feb-14
Territories wild show awhile back showed a frontal on a caribou awesome results. Just devastating

22-Feb-14
From what I can tell every frontal shot thread generally goes the same way. A bunch of people are or it, a bunch of people are against. There is no doubt that at any distance it is a harder shot to take. This is why you don't find a pile of articles where every guy recommends the frontal. You find a ton of print recommending the frontal and all the yahoo internet hunters start taking 40 yard frontal shots.

Up close and personal I just know waaaaay to many serious seasoned bowhunters that love it and know of too many dead animals not to take the shot in a high percentage situation. But finding a pile of print on it, you'll never find it. An article here or there - they exist. And if you are calling elk and moose - what's one of the most likely scenarios?

22-Feb-14
I have let many of elk other game go because of calling in with only a frontal shot. I have killed many of elk, deer ant, caribou, bear, moose on and on with a broadside shots only. Can you be successful with the frontal shot? yes. Is it a good percentage shot ? No. You never hear about the frontals that go bad just the pix on forums of the great frontal shot they got lucky with. To each his own but its all about the hunt and the right shot placemnet not the kill or wounded animal. I have guided hunters for 40+ yrs and have seen the bad side of poor shot placement. If the truth be known there would be far more wounded animals then recovered with poor shot placement. That's why we have wound policies.

22-Feb-14
One thing to consider: if you are close enough for a frontal shot, chances are you're on your knees looking UP at his chest. If you can keep your poop-in-a-group with that huge beast slobbering over you then it should be moose tenderloin for supper after a very short blood trail.

I call moose into tree stands, in very thick brush, so I've never taken a frontal, but I would on the ground in the right conditions. But then a hunter should only take ANY shot under the right conditions.

A bull that close up may stand for a minute or more facing you, but when the jig is up he'll likely wheel and skedaddle just like an elk or whitetail.

Sometimes we regret taking a shot and sometimes we regret not taking a shot. The decision is all in what you're willing to live with.

22-Feb-14
Ambush,,, The decision is all in what you're willing to live with..... I feel its more what's fair to the animal. Clean kill or days, weeks, or months of long painful suffering till death and a lost resource.

22-Feb-14
I have hunted for many years and have taken deer, elk, moose, and many species from around the world. When I first started bowhunting I took some front on shots with varying results. After not finding a deer I thought was a good front on shot I decided to investigate this subject. As a professional butcher (working many years on the kill floor, in a place that killed and processed many different species of animals) I was able to perform testing on deer, elk and bison with a veterinarian. We took the time to actually see what happens when an arrow enters the animal from a direct front on shot. First off the kill area is very small and if your a little off your going to not find the animal (Low percentage shot). If you can thread the arrow perfectly you will get that animal, but again if the shot is a little off that animal is not going to be found, and will usually die because the arrow will hit in an area that it will not work back out( unlike a broadside or quartering away shot where in most cases the arrow quickly works out, or goes on through). The second thing is if not hit perfectly and the shot is some what higher the animal will not bleed out onto the ground and most of the blood will stay inside the chest cavity so tracking will be difficult at best. With bigger boned animals the arrow can be stopped by the big sternum bone running down the center of the chest, or worse can be deflected into the shoulder area where the animal will cripple for a long time and eventually die because the arrow will not work out. I am not going to run other bowhunters down for taking the front shot but I can say with certainty it is a much lower percentage of a clean kill shot than a good broadside shot or quartering away shot. Although it's better than some people trying to justify an ass shot from straight behind. Anybody that tries to justify shooting an animal from behind needs to study the extremely low odds of recovering that animal. My personal experience as a hunter and the time I spent studying this causes me to take the time and go for a high percentage shot that will recover the animal. So for me personally I will only take a broadside or quartering away shot. A good fast clean kill is the way to go. I rather not take a risky shot and have the animal get away than risk a lost wounded animal. Last thing bowhunters need is a anti-hunter broadcasting an animal running around with an arrow stuck in it.

22-Feb-14
I'd take a frontal shot on an elk in the right circumstances... likely won't be attempting it on a moose unless its at like 5 yards and standing over me or something... in which case, I'd still likely wait to avoid being charged haha

22-Feb-14
frontal shots are devastating when everything works out, there is one common theme to the successful frontal shots and that is they are a very close range shot. Moose offer a bit more of a challenge in that the moose have characteristics' that make it less desirable and that is the bell that hangs down over the target area and the fact that a moose has a very long face that covers the target area also. But to debate whether or not the frontal shot will kill an animal is a moot point, it will kill and kill fast but certain stars have to line up in order for that to happen. the stars are less likely to line up with a moose as compared to an elk. it is unfortunate this happens because when calling in any animal they come to the caller and if you are the one doing the calling and the shooting it presents a problem, there are solutions to the problem and one is to move off to the side after you have determined the animal is coming in, or have someone else call and you set up off to the side. word of advice if you move off to the side move to the downwind side. determine wind direction b4 hand. and of course only move when you can't be seen....

22-Feb-14
Not every broadside shoot works out either so I'll take my chance on whatever shot a critter offers me. With confidence. At 15 yards and in, with my 60 lb longbow, sitka spruce arrow and a Tuffhead, God have mercy on that poor critters soul.

22-Feb-14
"But I don't think there is any hit more devastating than a WELL PLACED frontal shot."

Really, so that is, in your opinion THE shot to look for? A double lunger isn't more devastating? I mean it hits both lungs instead of just 1. hmm

Key words obviously are "well placed". Then there's the words "gotta be close" and "right circumstances"

What makes a shot the "best" is the margin of error. Since we all know none of us is perfect then taking shots where it's mandatory to put it "right down the pipe" would not be considered the best shot. That's like saying "when done right robbing banks is a great way to make money". I guess one can't say that's a false statement.

I won't tell my stories of arrows buried to the fletchings and bulls never found. I've seen all I need to see to pass on frontal shots but to each his own.... I know others have seen different results. Keep it up though and you WILL see ones like I have mark my word because again... nobody is perfect and there's a lot of heavy bone up there.

22-Feb-14
"Really, so that is, in your opinion THE shot to look for? A double lunger isn't more devastating? I mean it hits both lungs instead of just 1. hmm"

Not to debate whether to take the shot or not, but a frontal shot is not about hitting lungs.....it's about everything you hit in FRONT of the lungs that makes it so deadly.

I've only taken the shot twice in 30 years of bow hunting. Once on an antelope and once on an elk. Both with spectacular results.

22-Feb-14
With a front you can take out heart lungs guts and major arteries in neck. The frontal shot is one of the most devastating shots out there. If taken by someone who is comfortable and under the right circumstance.

22-Feb-14
Close range and you know where to shoot- heck yeah,

if you are kneeling and he is right on top of you that upward angle would make it a bad shot- they are so tall. It would have to be the right angle for me.

22-Feb-14

loadedforbear's embedded Photo
loadedforbear's embedded Photo
Broadside or quartering away only ethical options.

22-Feb-14
There is a great video of a frontal shot from Ceasars outfitting. I would never plan on taking a frontal shot on an elk or Moose, unless there was NO other option, and it was really close, and unhurried. My moose this year in BC, I was never able to get close enough with my bow, but shot mine at 200 yards with the rifle straight on facing me. He dropped right where he stood. My guide was in the boat behind me, and said wait until he turns, you have no shot. I was looked on the center of his chest waiting to turn. He didn't, I fired and he never took a half a step. I know that that is a lot different from a bow, but a bow will kill just as fast.

22-Feb-14

sbschindler's embedded Photo
sbschindler's embedded Photo
this is the exit wound,

22-Feb-14
YouTube has a nice video of Dwight Shue taking a frontal shot on a moose. Check it out. It really had an immediate impact on the moose.

23-Feb-14
Dwight Schuh has never pulled a lot of draw weight either. I believe he usually shoots around 50 lbs, according to many of his articles.

23-Feb-14
"a frontal shot is not about hitting lungs.....it's about everything you hit in FRONT of the lungs."

Yeah... it IS what's in front of them: Bone!

And let me ask you this, what shot gives you a better chance of hitting 2 lungs instead of one? Yeah I know you can hit 2 with a frontal shot, but then you wouldn't be head on, he'd be quartering to you.

Moose and elk are NOT deer.

23-Feb-14
For those of us that can hunt moose, OTC, every year for two or three months it's not an important question.

But for the guy going on a once in a lifetime hunt I think it is a serious consideration. If it is the last day of your hunt and you have a bull at ten yards facing you and no options because he is now onto you. If he turns to run, he's gone. Moose can be very fast. Do you take a shot at a wheeling moose? Take the "Hamblaster" at a running bull?

Or practice and be prepared. Most guys have access to club targets, so why not practice shooting the frontal shot on a foam moose. Look at skeletal pics on the internet. Draw the target zone on the target with black felt pen and shoot one-shot groups, from different angles and body forms, kneeling, standing,etc. Check your shot placement after every shot in the black outline.

What's better; a hunter prepared to take a tough shot, or one that is not and then does anyway out of sheer desperation under the pressure that it might be the last chance in his lifetime!?

I've de-boned a lot of moose over the years and there IS a "hole" to shoot through. I'd guess it's about 3" X 8". That should be doable, out to fifteen yards, for someone who has taken their practice and hunt seriously.

I see lot's of Bowsite guys saying,"..be prepared for a sixty yard shot" on antelope, sheep and goats. Is the frontal shot on a moose ,at fifteen yards, that much less ethical or doable??

23-Feb-14
x2 Ambush especially when you consider that that kill zone hole is nearly the size of a kill zone on a speed goat and guys don't have issues shooting them at 30+ yards AND they're way more likely to move before impact.

Moose at 15 yards will not move between shot and impact no way.

23-Feb-14
Sure hope you don't take that shot. Marginal shots leave too much room for error.

23-Feb-14
There will be those that will attempt a frontal shot on a moose or elk regardless of what others think. I get that.

Ambush's post highlights something that always rubs me the wrong way, whether it concerns frontal shots, long shots, etc. Comments like "it was the last day of the hunt", or "it was a HUGE bull", or "it was the only shot I had", and so on. If you feel confident taking a shot, that's one thing. However, IMO, desperation should not be a criteria when deciding to take any shot, let alone one that is inherently risky.

23-Feb-14
I just think it's unfair and unreasonable to ask someone who has sacrificed and saved for a one time, spectacular experience to not take any high percentage opportunity to conclude it with the trophy of their dreams.

Just like with money, it's very easy to be casual with some one else's hunt. If you have nothing at stake, it's easy to be "uber" ethical.

23-Feb-14

tunes's embedded Photo
tunes's embedded Photo
That "spectacular" experience can turn into a horrible experience in a heartbeat. A bad shot is a bad shot, first day or last. No matter how much $$ or time has been invested. Trophy of their dreams or a lifetime of nightmares, your choice. I'm gonna take a broadside shot myself.

23-Feb-14
I agree with Tunes. Last fall was my first moose hunt. Longbow with no backup. Second to the last day I had a nice bull at 15 yds - facing me. I never even thought about that as a possible shot and waited until he turned - he did but I never got a shot. To this day I haven't second guessed that decision. The following day - my last day - I took a mature cow with a broadside shot. I couldn't have been happier and eat moose at least once a week - in fact I'm making moose tacos today.

A bad shot is a bad shot. A buddy took a front on shot on a nice Bull Elk about 10 years ago. 80 lb compound with a Thunder head or Muzzy, can't remember - He got 3 INCHES of penetration. Ask him about frontal shots now.............he won't take another. Pretty much ruined that hunt for him. He has taken many elk since then and all with broadside shots.

23-Feb-14
Fred Asbell shot one like that with a stickbow at about 2 yards. I think he would tell you it was a desperation shot.

TBB

23-Feb-14
"And let me ask you this, what shot gives you a better chance of hitting 2 lungs instead of one? Yeah I know you can hit 2 with a frontal shot, but then you wouldn't be head on, he'd be quartering to you."

MP, My point was it doesn't matter if you hit one lung or two with a frontal shot. You are taking out some major arteries on the way to the lungs and then on through to diaphragm, liver, and guts. Lungs are just collateral damage.

"Moose and elk are NOT deer."

Never shot a deer with a frontal. Like I said, only taken the shot twice. Once on an elk and once on an antelope. Both very close and perfect situation. Both died within sight VERY quickly.

23-Feb-14
"I just think it's unfair and unreasonable to ask someone who has sacrificed and saved for a one time, spectacular experience to not take any high percentage opportunity to conclude it with the trophy of their dreams. Just like with money, it's very easy to be casual with some one else's hunt. If you have nothing at stake, it's easy to be "uber" ethical."

Ambush...so you are saying that its okay to compromise ethics in order to fill a tag on because it may be an expensive, once in a lifetime trip?

23-Feb-14
Bob; no I'm saying become proficient so you're NOT compromising ethics.

23-Feb-14
The shot is at the bundle of arteries above the heart. Not the lungs although depending on the angle you may hit one or the other.

The animal goes down fast, I've seen heart shots go much farther with far less blood on the ground. Take out the pump the blood pressure drops to zero. All you have is gravity for a bloodtrail. And the blood still in the brain and other organs still has a bit of oxygen in it to use. Also a heart shot (from a ground angle) barely hits lungs, just a bit on the thin fringe. I don't think many would argue a heart shot.

A frontal that takes out the arteries, the heart pumps out every bit of blood it possibly can. The bloodtrail is one you want to walk to the side so you don't get any on your pants or boots. Plus the arrow is normally in it's full length, the animal isn't in a huge hurry to leave. All makes for a fast recovery.

Many people hit the same arteries with a broadside shot if they are up in the "V". All can attest as to how fast they go down. All with nothing to do with lungs, as the animal dies much faster than witha lung shot behind the shoulder. Yeah, deviating would be an apt description. Personally no matter the shot angle, that bundle is my target, not just somewhere in the lungs. If I do just hit lungs it's a shot I'm off by a few inches.

I see a frontal shot as just another angle to my target. A smaller target for sure. So you have to make a good shot. But I will always be prepared to take the first good shot I know I can make. Success is when perpetration meets opportunity. I prepare the best I can, but you have to be able to see and take advantage of what is many times a split second opportunity.

Many angles into the target. A person has to visualize the INSIDE of the animal to see his angles. IMO that's where some make their mistake.... they are fixated on a spot on the outside of the animal with no regard to the angle the animal is at. Like shooting a 3d target or something. You hear "But I hit it perfect!" all the time. They may have hit their "spot" but that spot had nothing to do with the vitals that should have been the target.

I've never killed a moose, frontal or otherwise. But I see no reason the moose would fair any better than elk or deer. I've killed one elk, a few deer, many feral goats, etc. with the shot. I can only speak to my experience but can honestly say it's been a 100% shot for me, I don't recall any not recovered. But I've only taken them if it's a slam dunk shot. I think my longest was in the 15 or so yard range, the majority more like 10 yards. It's a shot I don't feel I will miss. But you'd be surprised how many folks have never practiced a 10 yard shot, or a 5, or a 2. Just being close doesn't mean you can hit exactly where you want to.

I'd be the first to say if a person wasn't 100% comfortable with a certain shot DON'T TAKE IT!

If you know your shot and ability under pressure, know your anatomy, everything just becomes angles and clear shooting lanes/windows. Nothing secret, special or even sacred about any shot. Just comes down to killing things efficiently.

23-Feb-14
Ok, so.... is it ok to shoot for the femoral artery too then? It's a certain death shot. Does that mean rear end shots are ok to try too? Wait, that's the hamblaster isn't it? lol

Everyone knows the broadside or quartering away is the only shot to take.... don't they? ;-)

For me anyway.

23-Feb-14
^^^There are some well respected bowhunters who do attempt the Texas Heartshot actually. lol I know your post was in jest but it happens.

I'm not comfortable with that shot on a moose, but would take it on a deer/elk in the right scenario.

24-Feb-14
100% is 100%. And facts are facts. If you have stats like that on a femoral artery let me know. Be pretty amazing.

It's not shooting for a pencil, nor is it about the lungs. Again, you hit the softball and you watch them go down. The comparison made if you know anatomy is disingenuous at best.

Good grief. If you don't believe me go to a higher authority.... Maybe talk to BB and Bigdan and a many others who just might happen to get lucky now and then and sneak one in....

I'd also suggest counting up all the "broadside" shots folks never recovered. Fact is you screw up the shot, the shot is screwed up. You make the shot it's dead. A screwed up 20 yard broadside is just as screwed up as a 5 yard frontal.

If you're trying to take this to the lowest common denominator sorry, I don't feel I'm in the study.

I'll certainly concede moose would present their own unique set of conditions and circumstances. But they aren't immune to the same shot taking out the same vitals.

There is no magic shot nor any magic angles. You make the right shot it's dead fast.

And yet again.... If you don't really know your shot please don't take it.

This isn't rocket science.

24-Feb-14
TD,,, BLA,,, BLA,,, BLA,,, Frontal shots are a very low percentage shot and shouldn't be taken period! Those that take that shot are usually tired, frustrated, unethical and desperate to be successful on their hunt. If you can't enjoy the hunt which includes waiting for a high percentage shot which may not happen rather then having the mind set " I had to take the shot it was the only one I had " STAY HOME ! Its not fair to the animal. Enough animals are wounds taking high percentage shots not alone the "take a chance shot".

24-Feb-14
"TD,,, BLA,,, BLA,,, BLA,,,Frontal shots are a very low percentage shot and shouldn't be taken period!"

Yes, TD, 100% is very low percentage. LOL

24-Feb-14

Russell's Link
Found this link that provides a detailed look inside a moose.

Frontal area sure is small. Again, if the moose is very close, facing me, and I’m not kneeling, I know where to aim if the shot presents its self.

I don’t release arrows haphazardly

24-Feb-14
Thanks Russell; when I sat my IBEP Practical Field Day, the 'clock' diagram was used as a really useful illustration of differing angles when taking the shot; I seem to recall the diagram we were shown had angles of degree on it, or something similar, as well??

02-Mar-14

MooseMan's Link
I have had some hunters that have regretted trying the frontal shot, and very few that have been successful with it. We had one a in 2012 and I felt so bad for the hunter, he had a huge bull in close and watched it walk away after a frontal shot. The bull walked a few hundred yards away back to the cows. I saw the bull from the air 3 weeks later, he was just fine.

03-Mar-14
Just curious, I have never killed a moose but other than the obvious size of the bones how are they any different than any of the other deer species in anatomy? Some sort of breast plate bone that comes up higher than deer? Although I too would prefer the broadside or slighly quartering away shot for the larger room for error, I have taken quite a few deer with frontal shots and have never had one go more than 40 yards.. Each time it entered the lower neck and either clipped the the heart or the pipes running to it as well as lung/lungs, and liver. Quite fatal hits.

03-Mar-14
No different, just a larger target, IMO is a 15 yard shot and under, not a shot for a expandable broadhead either!

03-Mar-14
I watched my buddy shoot a huge cow moose head-on at about 12 yards with his compound. Likely the goriest blood-fest I've ever seen! She swapped ends and dropped dead in about 30 feet and 3 seconds. The broadhead was sticking out her back ham. Totally devastating but as others have said the shot must be close and the arrow placed precisely for it to be deadly.

03-Mar-14
The thing about a frontal shot on a moose as compared to other animals is the small vital spot is hidden much of the time. Moose have a bell that hangs down and could act like a small branch and deflect the arrow. Also a moose's posture is such that its head will block a shot at the vitals. there are times where the stars will line up and you may get the shot and it is a proven deadly shot no doubt. Its certainly not a high percentage shot but if you are close 15 yards and under and the opening is actually open it could pay off. You will have to be very disciplined though, I do believe its better to create your own destiny when moose hunting. set up so you won't have to take a frontal shot.

03-Mar-14
I guess there is just smaller room for error on hitting the heart/lungs since they do have a smaller profile from that angle. Much more likely to take out both lungs and have an exit wound from the side. Put one through he heart or main plumbing and you have a dead animal quick. It doesn't matter what angle. Hit only one lung and it may go 50 yards or it may go a mile. There are several major arteries in the neck, chest and inside of the shoulders that could save your day if you miss the heart from the front? If you are close you will likely be shooting upward unless you are especially tall, unlike me. Then there is that bone issue to deal with....hmm?? Pretty good reason to ask those that have been there, done that huh?....Best wishes for a 20 yard wide open broadside or slightly quartering away shot to all who are lucky enough for the opportunity to hunt them and hopes that you are not faced with frontal shot as your only opportunity.

03-Mar-14
I have only taken one frontal shot, and that was an antelope. he went 10 yards. I am not going to debate how effective it is because it heavily depends on the guy taking the shot.

I will say that a bull moose in rut will give you another angle in most cases. That is one of the last animals I would worry about "blowing" out on me if the wind is good.

I am sure it depends on where you hunt them.

27-Jul-14
I'm a big fan of Dwight Shue, but this midwestern deer hunter cringed at that shot. It's the one where he nearly gets trampled by a BIG bull.

I've done it on small whitetails with more power than DS shoots and not had the best penetration.

27-Jul-14
Jeez, jump on TD...I would take that frontal shot under the right situation- close 15-20yds or under, head up or coming in above me with a clear shot to the middle of the brisket. Heck, the soft spot where the esophagus enters the rib cage is about a 10" circle on a moose or bigger...and if you are shooting a heavy arrow with efficient BH- that shot is money.

I like to shoot animals lower 1/3rd on Broadside shots but this frontal needs to be shot a tad higher as the rib cage rises in front.

As in any shot, if you don't fully understand an animals anatomy and aren't 100% confident- then don't shoot.

27-Jul-14
In my very limited experience (called in about 6-7 bulls) everyone ending up posturing broadside.Seems a guy could be patient and get a better shot.Has anyone had a bull turn inside out from a frontal posiition?I'd just like to know.....

27-Jul-14
How bout some pics of the kill zone on a frontal presentation then?

27-Jul-14
I believe on his last hunting trip to Alaska, Fred Bear, Whom at the time was right at 70 years old. Had a moose walk into him head on, and about to walk over him. Fred was kneeling in some tall grass and said he stood and shot the moose low in the throat. The moose was just a few feet away from him. He watched the moose go down. That story is in the book Dick Lattimer wrote. Hunt with Fred Bear.

27-Jul-14
Russell. On you knees as someone mentioned would not give a good angle into the vitals. Your arrow would be going up on a moose. you would have to be standing to get the angle to the vitals right IMO.

I took the shot on an elk last fall. I called and he came quartering to me 30, 20 yrds at 7 yards he faced me. I was waiting for him to turn for a while but decided to draw my 57# longbow and see what happened. He kept watching me and I let fly with a 400 beman classic with a 75g insert and 175 g grizzly. It hit where I wanted and the blood trail was devastating.

If I was hunting moose I would be ready for that shot if the stars all lined up as someone said. Head out of the way, angle right and I would have something like a single bevel tuffhead broadhead with lots of energy to do what the picture showed if I did hit some bone.

My hunt, my ethics and as others said could end badly but so could a broadside.

27-Jul-14
How's it going Gaur? What the longbow one you made?

Thanks for the guidance. Regarding shooting while kneeling, I don't plan on it, especially with moose.

Any hunting adventures planned this fall?

27-Jul-14

Beendare's embedded Photo
Beendare's embedded Photo
Bill, this is a deer but moose and elk are essentially the same only bigger

27-Jul-14
I have only shot one animal with a frontal. My Muley buck last year. The shot was 20 yards and he was down in about 25. Under the right conditions I will take the shot.

27-Jul-14

Bill in MI's embedded Photo
Ok, so...do these 3 images with shot placements slip in the hole and take off the truck off the top of the heart?

27-Jul-14

27-Jul-14

3#

28-Jul-14
I can promise you one thing.. If its day 10 of my moose hunt next year and i have one under 15 yards that wont turn im burying a broadhead in his chest.. Sooting 90+ foot pounds of energy and a two blade those bones dont scare me..

Im not taking that shot day one tho

28-Jul-14
Good russell thanks. It was a longbow james parker made fo me. A real nic fast shooter. Good luck on your hunt

28-Jul-14
Bill, if it were me, I would shoot a bit higher on pics in #1 and #3......

#2 I don't take the shot;head down, not a good view of the soft spot you need to hit. Heck, all he has to do is turn his head slightly and wreck the shot.

BTW, I take those 2 shot with my compound assuming I'm already at full draw ready to shoot.....not with my recurve.

28-Jul-14
I was liking the angle of #2. To me it looks like a good path to the heart. #1 and #3 both look like the heart would be angled back behind front right shoulder to me.

• Sitka Gear