writer 17-Apr-14
skullz 17-Apr-14
Bowme2 18-Apr-14
trkyslr 18-Apr-14
wkochevar 18-Apr-14
30-Mar-14
I just got a new slate call that I like a lot. The duel double trouble

30-Mar-14
Any call from Duel is top notch, I have some of the calls from when they were Blodgett calls. Best turkey calls on the market IMO!

30-Mar-14
I have a very old Lohman push pin call that I have killed more turkeys with than all the other calls that I have.

30-Mar-14
I got a jig that I make my own month calls with.. But my dad had a old 60's lynch box call that he used all the time. Dad passed 2 January's ago. I'd love to call in a Tom with just that call. Only one time and put it away forever. Ed

30-Mar-14
My first - probably because I have faith in it. Lynch's World Champion Box

31-Mar-14
Ditto candor. I still haven't found a call I like better than the Lynch World Champion.

31-Mar-14
I use a Butt Naked Hen cause I like the name.

31-Mar-14
I usually use a diaphram, but my favorite is an an old Lynch's Fool Proof box. I started notching it whenever it called in a bird that was killed and its got a bunch in it now. It doesn't really work any better than others, just has character.

31-Mar-14
Lynch fool proof Box call,from the 80s, Ben Lee Gobble Box, and Twin Hen,from the 70s, Quaker Boy grand master Box Call, From the 80s...

31-Mar-14
Whichever of the 10 or so in my vest they're gobbling at, and coming to.

Glad the old Lynch is getting some credit. It was probably the first widely-circulated commercial call.

My first- to are a high-pitched Lohman box that has great break-over, and some slate a company sent me 15 years ago or so....might be Primos, or Knight and Hale, with some striker I found in my vest one afternoon while looking for something else.

31-Mar-14
I love my Lynch's Foolproof. The sound is so nice. I like the way you can go soft, or just crank on it to call is birds off in the distance.

31-Mar-14
Whichever one the turkeys like...I use pot calls almost exclusively. Halloran's Twisted sister and laminate slate have been getting it done for me lately. Called in 4 toms yesterday morning with the Halloran slate. Just wish the season was open! 6 days to go...

31-Mar-14
Generally I like to run my triple reed mouth call with an inverted V cut...its very easy to use and has a nice raspy tone to it...but that isn't always what they want to hear, so my favorite is whatever they want to hear that day...every hunt is a new adventure so you have to play by their rules to take part in that adventure!!

31-Mar-14
A glass pot call made by Tim Cosby.

31-Mar-14
Which ever one will work is the one I like that day.

31-Mar-14
Lynch World Champion and Aluminator

31-Mar-14
Get in tight and two soft clucks with any mouth call. Scratch the leaves a couple times and get ready.

There are so many good calls out there that truly are built like musical instruments. Most hunters can use them pretty well but few know when to stop calling. The more beards and spurs I accumulate the more I realize less is more when calling turkeys.

31-Mar-14
I noticed that there is some people still using there first call. Is it sentiment or it just works or both. I still have mine but don't use it. My grandfather got it for me. It is a lynch world champion

31-Mar-14
I noticed that there is some people still using there first call. Is it sentiment or it just works or both. I still have mine but don't use it. My grandfather got it for me. It is a lynch world champion

31-Mar-14
Truck horn works good for locating them, then almost any elk diaphram works after that. But you cant locate elk with the truck horn though, only thing different when hunting them;)

31-Mar-14
Anyone trying a gobble call like the Haint Gobble call. I can't get the sound like they do. Been blowing the thing like crazy trying to figure it out. For a hen call you can't beat a nice slate call or a diaphragm. Best one is an old wood call with an aluminum piece in the bottom of the trough. Can't remember the name but I've had it since the late 70's. It has the sweetest sounds.

31-Mar-14
My truck horn

31-Mar-14
Chief400...That call is a Ben Rodgers Lee, Super Hen,I have that also plus the Slate Version...

31-Mar-14
Lynch's World Champion box call. Can gobble or do clucks, yelps, purrs. DO 85% of my calling with that call; have owned it for over 20 years I think. Have never had good luck with any slate calls despite buying several, never seem to work well in the woods. While I still carry one, it seldom sees the light of day. Also use diaphragms for close in work. Favor Quaker Boy, I seem to be able to use them better than other brands but don't seem to see them around as much since Dick Kirby died.

>>>>-------->

01-Apr-14
Mine is a cheap Primos box call I got from Walmart. I have a slate and glass call but they do not work as well unless I use them once they are already there. I use those to keep them calm and I use it to purr. Besides that I use the other two calls just to see how they react so I can get better. Once I hit that box call quietly even at 40 yards away they go nuts and start yelping. It is exciting because I am new to it all.

Using the primos box call I called in 4 jakes and 2 hens one day and I called in 1 hen the next day. Then the next day I called in 1 hen and 2 toms. I shot the 1st bigger tom and he got away. I was pissed. It was my 1st turkey and I didn't run after it. I used the deer shot strategy and waited like a dummy. I found out fast to go right after them after you hit them. I sat there thinking it would run off and bleed out close by and I would be able to track it and find it plus I thought I drilled it well. I did not know then or realize how tough they are.

The video shows what looks like a great shot but I guess not so much! I also used a rage. Dummy dummy dummy!! I also found out they don't bleed very much. I tracked it for 5 hours and only got about 100 yards into the woods when I found my arrow wedged into a stump where there was missed chainsaw back cut slit in the stump. The arrow was about 13 inches off the ground. When the turkey ran past that stump that arrow went into that back cut slit and when the arrow came to the fletching's it popped it right out of the turkey and he was able to escape easily then. Had it stayed in he could not have flown or moved very fast. Had I ran after him ASAP I could have ran him down.

2 days later I called in a hen and a tom followed and I got him and ate him for dinner the next day. I was happy to get my 1st bird but still bummed that the huge trophy tom escaped me finding it. It likely died at the top of a tree.

The year before that was my 1st turkey hunt and I shot a jake. It was my decoy though and my buddy filmed it and I said next year I would get a live bird. Thank God I had two chances. The only draw back is the remaining jakes are not toms yet and I am worried I will only have jakes this year. I have not seen a tom yet this year or even heard one yet when I go out to call to see if I hear anything.

Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps someone learn or I hope you got a good laugh at me being a total tool on my 1st solo turkey hunt. I guess I did not learn enough from my buddy the year before when I let him hunt with me at my spot and he shot my trophy tom 1st. I was supposed to get the next one but the birds disappeared for 6 weeks after that. Lesson learned.... Dont let your buddy shoot!! So far my turkey hunting days have been full of errors.

I wish you all good luck this springs fellas.

07-Apr-14
Chief400, You may be talking about the Sweet Talker made by Penn Woods. I've had mine since the early 80's. Does make some sweet hen sounds. I also use a Lynch Fool Proof I've had since the early 80's. Still one of my favorite calls. And I like H. S. strut diaprahm calls. Easy for me to use. Have never used a slate.

11-Apr-14
My new favorite is a Albert Paul box call. My first real custom call, very nice, great sound!

17-Apr-14
Notnormal has it right......

17-Apr-14
It always amazes me that somebody can sound like a turkey with latex stretched in a frame but can't sound like a box call or slate with the same call. I like a duaohram call...if I like a box or slate I quit trying to sound like a hen and sound like a box or slate.

17-Apr-14
Been in on a helluva lot of dead turkeys (100+ or so) that danged sure needed more than a couple of clucks....

To my ears, a good slate call, in the right hands, sounds more like a hen than anything, especially up close. Next is a good box call, especially with a bit of distance.

I also think the hands using the call have as much, if not more, to how a call sounds than the brand of the call. Some have "the touch," many do not.

Taught a Becoming an Outdoors-Woman's class one time and one of the students was a concert pianist...after about five minutes she sounded better than I do, and I'm pretty danged good. (No brag, just fact....TBM may be the only one who remembers that line) :-)

Most guys who've hunted much can pick the guy out in the woods who is using a diaphragm.

Still, I think it's what your saying more than how you sound...excitement, challenging, calmness, silence...

17-Apr-14
I've always used diaphragms.... I carry ten or so old and new and mess around with one or two a year.....

18-Apr-14
Lil' deuce slate and Diamond cutter diaphragm.

18-Apr-14
The nastiest most raspy sluttiest filled with estrogen mouth call i can find.... Usually a 3-4 reed split v or j hook model. And a good aluminum slate call.

18-Apr-14
My go to is a slate call built for me by Gene at Genes Calls about 15 years ago. I can change up the tone with a simple change of striker and fit just about any need or situation I've come across. The biggest problem with pot calls is the need for 2 handed operation, However, one of those thigh strap pot holders works great in crunch time when you need to be holding your bow as well.

• Sitka Gear