Panhandle Bob 17-Apr-14
mdodraw29 18-Apr-14
Magilla 18-Apr-14
Nick Muche 20-Apr-14
rock50 20-Apr-14
12-Apr-14

Ursus a. Horribilis's embedded Photo
I was out scouting for hogs and deer for Fall bowhunting this morning. Tons of sign along the dikes surrounding some rice impoundments. On my way out I was looking at deer prints and nearly tripped over this guy. He had zero fear of me and it almost looks like he's smiling.

12-Apr-14
Why no selfie with him?

How long was he? Looks fairly big to this guy with no gator experience. I don't think I'd want to poke around the front end.

12-Apr-14
10 -12 feet.

12-Apr-14
Big enough I'd say.

12-Apr-14
Lots of pairs of boots there

12-Apr-14
Are they in season? Do you have a tag?

12-Apr-14
They come in season in September. Tags are through lottery. This is on a refuge that allows archery hunting but the rules state gator hunting is not allowed. They may want to rethink that since it's a waterfowl refuge. The reeds in the foreground are about 3 ft tall. My guess is he's approaching 13 ft.

12-Apr-14

Here's an 8 foot female for comparison

12-Apr-14
I'd apply for the lottery permit, and if drawn, go back an blast him if that won't allow archery equipment...8^)

I like guns too...8^)

12-Apr-14
That is one thing about hunting in Florida, there seem to be just as many dangerous animals that can come after you. Gator's, scorpions, water moccasions, rattlers, pythons it is crazy :).

12-Apr-14
Looks like a dinosaur to me..... that's big enough....

14-Apr-14
pushing 12'

14-Apr-14
I will never complain about being cold in November and December again as long as you promise to keep the gators and snakes.

14-Apr-14
It's rubber.

14-Apr-14
let me get this straight....................you walked up to him and you decided to post to the internet so a bunch of strangers could guess his length?

kind of like the guy holdiong the deer rack saying "what does this rack score"?

something is wrong with this.............

14-Apr-14
150", works for racks and gators.

14-Apr-14
Those gators are good eating!

14-Apr-14
Bou'bound - or like the guy who wants to know how big the bear is that he is holding?

16-Apr-14
Bou, I disagree, I enjoy the mental exercises, especially if quantified data is available to check guesses against. It's amazing how far off people will guess pig weights, bear weights, and antler measurements. It's also pretty amazing how close someone experienced can come.... no harm in it.

16-Apr-14
Yep, enjoyed the photo, thx for posting......

16-Apr-14

Panhandle Bob's embedded Photo
Quite Tasty!

16-Apr-14
Hey Bob, nice Gator! Was that this season?

16-Apr-14
Choot 'im Jacob!

16-Apr-14

Panhandle Bob's Link
Yeah this past season, I drew tags...I killed 2 and assisted on a 3rd.

Application process opens April 25th

16-Apr-14
hmmm...it's a draw hunt? if I get drawn can you help me find someone to hunt with?

16-Apr-14
Depending on the county you draw, absolutely.

16-Apr-14
cool :-)

17-Apr-14

I was intent on following a deer trail when I noticed the gator the trail ran directly across his path . I was 10 yards away when I noticed him. I got within 5 yards when he started hissing so I thought it prudent to leave. I honestly want some opinions on size. I may go back to measure that bush to get an idea of scale. I've seen lots of gators in the 8ft range and this one was by a large margin more massive. Here's another photo of him. I wonder if he ambushes deer/hogs there in the evening?

17-Apr-14
I'd say 10.5 - 11 feet

18-Apr-14
Wow, up here in New England we don't worry much about getting eaten by much. Would love to have a chance at one of those some day.

18-Apr-14
I would have said about 10 feet. Over here in Australia that would just be a gecko. We don't get gators but our crocs can get pretty big but unfortunately no hunting allowed.

20-Apr-14
- Stop - Drop - Run -

That's my...recommendation.

Looks to be eating err..something...pretty "good".

Nice Dino - Jurassic Park style

Enjoy the spring, Nick.

20-Apr-14

Here's a pic I took in the same area today so it's probably the same guy. Temps were in the 50's so I was surprised to see them out.

20-Apr-14
How about placing a 'red dot' at your aim point on that dinosaur.

Do you utilize the deadly 'frontal shot'???? :)

As to your question, I think he's plenty big, looks well over 10'. Would that be a long pack out with him or is he close to enough water to boat him out?

21-Apr-14
Rock50, he's on a refuge that doesn't allow gator hunting & he probably knows it or he wouldn't have allowed me to get that close. There is a large river nearby(less than a mile) that is open to gator hunting though. In SC, you can't legally take one unless it's secured to a line first. Heavy duty bow fishing gear would do it. An arrow in the neck or chest below the heavy scales is best. It'd be a long fight to tire one that big. Most folks here use treble hooks and big game rods to snag them. Severing the spine or a gunshot behind the eyes/skull plate ensures they're dead.

• Sitka Gear