Smtn10PT 17-Apr-14
Sage Buffalo 17-Apr-14
Barty1970 17-Apr-14
HuntingAdict 17-Apr-14
HuntingAdict 17-Apr-14
mainbrdr 17-Apr-14
Mule Power 20-Apr-14
13-Apr-14
A friend and I are trying to plan an elk hunt for 2015, OTC in CO. We're looking at the opening weekend for 4-5 days (archery). As we were talking last night, we couldn't come up with a conclusion on if we should both get tags or if one of us should get a tag and the other helps to get that person an elk, and the following year we flip-flop. I would rather not do that, because I'm not sure what our school's calendar will be like as far as when it begins and what in-service days I have to attend.

Assuming we are both satisfied with an elk of any variety (cow or bull), how realistic is it that we would both have an opportunity on a 5 day hunt? Looking for some insight from those who have done this a time or two.

13-Apr-14
If you are in elk then both of you can get a shot in the same day. 4-5 days is a short trip. I live in elk country and give myself 10 days min. I have been in on 3 doubles on elk. Lots of work. good luck. HUNT

13-Apr-14
My buddy and I have had this same discussion. We've had 3 trips for CO elk, and tagged out with an elk apiece in 5 or less days on two of them. But last year, my buddy didn't get a shot until day 4 or 5, and I never got a shot in 7 days.

Likewise, in a primo NM unit, we both killed bulls, but his took 4 days, and mine came on the morning of the 10th and last day of the season

I guess my point is that it CAN be done in 5 or less days, but I sure wouldn't bet on it. But. . . Wouldn't you hate to have the chance at a double, and not have a tag?

Bake

13-Apr-14
Assuming you are close to a town, if you get lucky enough to kill one elk, go to nearest sporting goods store and purchase another OTC.

13-Apr-14
Totally depends on where you'd going and how bad ya want it. That said, new elk hunters, less than likely but that shouldn't discourage you. Good luck!

13-Apr-14
To me it's a no brainer: Both of you get tags. The "assistant" may be the one to get the shot opportunity.

13-Apr-14
otcWill, that's my buddies thoughts. It'll be tough I know, but if we're there I would have to have that possibly for a double and not have it.

Believe me, I don't want to make it a 4-5 day trip, but with the season opening when it does and my teaching schedule, that might be the best I can do (being a public school teacher might be easier this way, unfortunately I am not).

13-Apr-14
This past season, first two days, three bulls down. Good idea for both to get tags.

13-Apr-14
We were also in a very tough unit. Expecting only one of its to get an opportunity. Never know when luck will shine down!

13-Apr-14
I agree. Can't happen if ya don't try and if u don't buy a tag a giant will stand broadside whilst you curse yourself for saving some coin

13-Apr-14
I have twice now shot raghorns while being the caller. No way am I in the mountains without a tag.

13-Apr-14
I have twice now shot raghorns while being the caller. No way am I in the mountains without a tag.

13-Apr-14
The only way to guarantee that you will come home empty handed, is to not have a tag.......

13-Apr-14
My wife didn't bring her bow or a tag last year just came along, she had a cow at 25 yards just stand and watch her you wont get her into the woods without a tag again. But if you want to guarantee you see a world class bull save the money and leave your bow at home!

13-Apr-14
On the issue of one person going tagless... no, don't do that to yourself... Even if you go home with the tag, the whole point of going hunting is the pursuit of the animal with the intent to kill. You can't pursue without a tag. Even if you don't fill, you'll have hunted and neither of you should deprive yourself of that.

On the issue of the 4-5 day trip... that's really short.

What I would do if I were you, if your start day at work is what's ending your season, then still take the 10 day trip, but leave earlier. Spend the first 5 days before the season starts finding the elk. Actively hunt them, but without bows. You will then be set up to kill on opening morning while everyone else is playing catch up. (don't bump them)

One important mistake that new elk hunters make is hunting where there's no elk because of the deer hunting mind set. Deer are generally not too far away wherever you're hunting them. Not so with elk: You could be hunting an area where there isn't an elk within a mile, 2 miles, 3 miles, etc. You have to find elk via spotting live animals, spotting fresh sign, or hearing bugles.

It's not unheard of to take a few days to find elk. On my first elk hunt in CO, it took me 3 days to find my first fresh sign and I was doing some serious mileage.

Also consider taking a 2-3 day weekend at the end of the season if you don't fill.

I killed my first elk after an unsuccessful opening week trip drove me to fly back friday night after work closing weekend. I killed my elk on saturday and flew home on sunday. CO's not too far from Nebraska. If you both did it, you could drive all night taking turns and get some quality hunting in Saturday. You'll be amazed how motivated you are when you only have 24 hours to hunt.

13-Apr-14
We would do some work, and I was hoping to get out during the summer this year or next year and do a little summer scouting ahead of time.

I had the same thought as most of you, but my buddy thinks it might be wiser to do one. If it makes him feel better about it, I suppose I should let him shoot first.

He lives in Wisconsin Idyllwild, so I'd be going solo, but I hear that packing an elk out solo for the first time isn't that hard...

13-Apr-14
I'd rather have 2 days to scout just prior to season than 2 weeks during the summer.

13-Apr-14
It can be done in five minutes or five years or longer. I shot a cow the first weekend I ever went. Had a cow calling the first morning just a little out in front of me just a few minutes into the day. I thought it was another hunter. The next year I seen elk but never got a shot and hunted over twenty days. You never know!

13-Apr-14
I've hunted with buddies all over the world and we've always just flipped a coin to see who gets first crack at it. With something like elk you just switch shooters/callers every set up. It's hard to expect a guy that doesn't have a tag to bust his butt in the mountains for you. Sooner or later he's gonna loose the desire to hike into the next drainage. I hunted wild boar in Guam for two years with a guy where we would just still hunt/spot and stalk. We would flip a coin and see who went first and the other guy would follow and video. Every 30 minutes we would switch roles. By the way, my biggest pig was one that came out of nowhere behind us and I shot it in "self defense". ha ha. Point is, you always have a chance so you never slack off. If I were you, I would both get a tag and take turns and have the time of your life. With the uncertainty of your schedules next year maybe you can find something closer that you can both do. Wyoming antelope maybe? Just a thought but I wouldn't expect a buddy to take his free time and the money to go work his but off for me and "hope" that next year if all goes right you can return the favor. Find something you can both do together and go have a good time.

14-Apr-14
I agree with midwest 100%

Summer scouting gives you terrain data. Scouting the day(s) before you hunt gives you animal data.

14-Apr-14
On the flip side you might be surprised in what you can learn if not hunting. I know I always find more game not hunting than hunting because as soon as I locate animals I move on to locate more. I like having at least one day to do nothing buy locate and then pick the best scenerio and go after them. Having only 5 days to hunt one guy could hunt while the other could locate. Problems could arise when the hunter wouldn't leave a good area to hunt great spot you worked your tail off to find and then you would wish you had a tag. Other problems is getting out 2 animals on the last day should you both tag late in the hunt.

14-Apr-14
I think you both should get tags so both can enjoy the experience of hunting equally.

That being said. I am a teacher and in my 19 year career I have only taken an entire week off of work to hunt once. As a was driving to my hunt I had a kidney stone episode and spent the day in the Flagstaff hospital The next few days was spent passing a stone in camp and by Thursday I was good to go. Teachers may have a lot of time off but it is rarely during a hunting season. So I know what you are going through.

For what it is worth, I have been very successfull but it is because I have gotten to know the area I hunt very well. I have learned the habits of the elk in the area and how they react to pressure. I would advise you and your friend to find an area to hunt and learn it real well. You don't need 10 days to kill. I usually hunt the first 3 days of season and then try to come up the next weekend and hunt Saturday - Tuesday. Good Luck and have fun.

14-Apr-14
As TBM said, you always have to calculate time to get animals out, but when under the gun, like I was in OR with 1 day, you have a crazy amount of motivation. I didn't even sleep. You also plan accordingly, moving closer to the truck as the final days close in.

14-Apr-14
4 or 5 days out west for elk in a new unit is not a ideal situation !! If u never chased elk before it could take u all of the 4 days to locate them in a new unit , try and get at least 8 days .

14-Apr-14
"...I would have to have that possibly for a double and not have it."

That isn't even the point. As others have touched on, you may decide who the shooter is going to be, but the elk may have different ideas. If the one without a tag gets the shot opportunity, you both lose. Party hunting (shooting an animal on someone else's tag) is illegal in Colorado. With two guys hunting together, no matter what you do, you can't plan well enough to know who will have the opportunity.

14-Apr-14
Ziek is right. This past sept, my dad was the shooter and I was the caller, but the elk gave me a shot.

That entire 10 day trip, I was always the caller and never the shooter. I also was the only one to tag an elk.

14-Apr-14
"but I hear that packing an elk out solo for the first time isn't that hard... "

Correction... THINKING about packing an elk out solo isn't that hard. Or maybe packing an elk out solo the first TRIP isn't that hard.... 3rd or 4th trip things change up some...

You will find WHERE you have to pack is actually more important than how far. I'd rather pack 3 or 4 miles on a good trail than 1 mile through vertical with blowdowns...

What they said above. If you can swing it, buy two tags. It's very true the caller may be the only one with the shot. And calling isn't the only way elk get killed, my first was walking back after a morning hunt and basically stumbled on a bedded solo spike. He wasn't sure what woke him up. Stood there and took it like a man. You really never know. Success is when preparation meets opportunity. Don't screw up an opportunity by not being prepared.

It may also be prudent to separate the fist day or so as well to locate elk, unless you get on em early. Then flip a coin to see who shoots first (if it goes according to plan that is....)and alternate.

We always state up front as well, somebody hits an elk everybody helps in recovery ("difficult" recovery.... first blood tags it. another reason to have two bows along) and/or packing. Everybody splits up meat evenly as well. Saves wizzin' and moaning later on....

14-Apr-14
Thanks everyone, lots of great input.

I have no problem with both of us having a tag, it's convincing him that we should both do it. I think he'll understand both of us doing it.

From what's been suggested I think we'll try and plan for a few days before season opens to scout, then if I haven't tagged out try to squeeze in a few more weekends if I can.

TD, I know it's hard stuff, just trying to interject a little good natured humor in this serious group of elk hunters.

Thanks again guys!

14-Apr-14
If it the financial part, you could buy cow tags. You know what will likely happen if you do :^)

Time, even if it has to be scouting before opening day, is a giant advantage.

15-Apr-14
I met this tough guy from up north who claimed he could get an elk out in one trip but he was one of those guys that looked like he could wipe his rear with Chuck Norris's face so I didn't argue. Does that sound realistic?

15-Apr-14
Note: when joking about death marches insert smiley face after post.... =D

15-Apr-14
TBM you might relate it to turkeys.

If you've put in your time just before the season and know exactly where they are roosting the night before...yeah, your odds certainly increase.

My experience with elk is in many places.... day after opener can be anybodies bet. They don't just relocate when pressured, sometimes they change zip codes...

"one trinever mp" is subjective. Personally 10 days IN THE FIELD is my goal on an elk hunt. Two days travel each way so a two week trip. I've killed elk on the last day.

IMO, DIY, 10 days will be 3 or 4 times more successful than a 5 day hunt, not just twice as a person may think.

EDIT: "one trip OUT" OK, never mind....read closer when it get later at night....

15-Apr-14
I assume he means packing out a dead elk in one trip. A bull yields around 180 - 200 pounds of processed meat. Thats no head, hide, horns and already trimmed.

The answer for me is no way in heck. A bull is 4 loads if you are normal , 3 if you are feeling your oats and not fighting blowdown in and out, and 2 loads if you trim the heck out of it, are in great shape, and crazy or don't need your legs for the next couple days. If he has a big rack, that, the cape and some backstraps are a decent load.

15-Apr-14
I didn't think so but he did explain that he used a sheet of gasket material which is slick like Teflon yet flexable and thin and light. He put the meat on the material and rolled it up and tied off to it at the waise and just slid it out. He undoubtedly wasn't hunting in blowdown areas. I see where this would work where there is lots of dry grass or pine straw as this gasket material slides really easy. I pulled the kids on a sheet behind the 4 wheeler and they would pass me on figure 8's. Could be possible in the right conditions with the right person doing the pulling.

15-Apr-14
"I pulled the kids on a sheet behind the 4 wheeler and they would pass me on figure 8's."

Hey, y'all, watch this!

15-Apr-14
A buddy shot a cow 100 yards from his truck a few years back and we dragged her, slight uphill, 3 of us. It was harder than a 5 mile packout on a trail.

15-Apr-14
Just a scenario for you to consider....

Last year, my wife was set in front of me just off a trail, with elk coming along it. I was opposite side and 40yds back, 'calling'. At 34yds, the leading cow ambles/grazes left and skirts around my wife (the shooter), and takes a big arc that puts her 21yds from me. And of course the little group follows the cow, and all I have to do is wait for the bull.

Now, we both had tags; we have meat in the freezer. How well does your buddies one tag idea work?

Flip a coin for first shot- but sometimes the animals decide for you.

15-Apr-14
I would go at least a week early and spend the time scouting and trout fishing.

4-5 days for a hunt is way too short. Keep in mind that on opening weekend there is a good chance they might not be very vocal which will make them harder to find.

Yes, you might find them and kill one within that time but it might take you 4 days to pack it out. I've killed elk that have taken me 4 days to pack off the mountain. I got 300 pounds of boneless meat off of my bull last year. But if you guys are only hunting 4-5 days you probably won't get far from the truck and you'll have less chance of getting away from hunting pressure or finding elk.

With elk hunting everything is magnified. You don't (typically) just drive out west, run into the woods, kill an elk and just drag it back to your truck. Especially in an OTC unit. No offense intended but I think you guys are in for an education; hopefully not a disappointment.

I can't imagine driving all the way from WI for a 4-5 day hunt. He'll spend almost as much time driving as hunting.

15-Apr-14
He could stay out if he had the time I suppose, but I'm limited to that and I know I can't get it off. We'll have to see about going in earlier for 4-5 days and scouting.

I think we are in for an education, and I don't think any of us are pinning our hopes on killing a bull. We will learn, and we're going to have fun regardless, because it's a new adventure for us. Would I love to kill a bull? Hell yea I would!

That's why I came here, to get as much info and knowledge as I can, so our learning curve out there is a little less steep, though I know our learning will never end. At that time of the year we'll be looking for waterholes and travel routes. Thanks Cheesehead, and everyone else, I'm hoping all this pays off.

15-Apr-14
Reality check. Yes, you could win the lottery. A 7 day elk hunt is considered cutting it short. 10 days par for the course. For 2 guys to hope to tag out a 2 week hunt would be a good plan and that's even for elk hunters who know their area and have some experience.

But.. even if you were lucky enough to show up, set camp, find elk on day 1 and kill one on say the 2nd day... it could take you the entire 3rd day to get it back to the vehicle and taken care of properly. On day 3 you would be a tad worn out.

Then, if your schedule is so tight that you'd need to be done packing the 2nd elk out on day 4 that means you only have day 3 to kill the 2nd animal.

On our first 2 elk hunts nobody killed an animal. Very very common I might add.

If you were to pull that off you should tell yourself it's all downhill from there!

If you want the best chance to kill one elk it would be smart to both have a tag.

15-Apr-14
I've driven farther to hunt less days and for stuff lower on my list than elk hunting :^)

You will have a blast. Definitely look for water holes, travel routes, etc, but with a limited time frame I would look for elk. We have a saying in camp that the only tracks that really matter are the 4 the elk are standing in. I've spent many days sneaking through elk country with lots of sign and not a lot of elk because they moved on. They drift around from drainage to drainage and decide to move any time.

Have a plan B and C area if you aren't getting into them. When you do get in them, treat it like gold and make it happen. Elk lord giveth and he taketh away just as fast. More than once we have had banner days with lots of elk and you know that tomorrow is the day, only to find that aliens must have abducted them all while we slept :^)

15-Apr-14
I understand it's a short amount of time, and believe me it's not what I would want either, but I'm playing with the hand I've been dealt for right now until I get either a relocation or am able to finagle some more time off with more experience.

It'll be a great experience no doubt, and that's what we're looking forward to on this thing. We've been talking about doing an elk hunt since we met in high school 12 years ago, and we both decided it's time to make it happen.

15-Apr-14

Bowhunner's embedded Photo
Bowhunner's embedded Photo
Caller bull a public land DIY tag you can draw pretty easy. I'd have the tag in pocket.

15-Apr-14
In my experience, the only way to practically guarantee that you will have a nice bull standing broadside at 20 yards is to not have a tag, a weapon or a camera in your possession.

If you can swing it, I would make sure that you each have a tag in your pocket and a bow in your hand. The caller is often the one who will get the shot. If you just can't swing it, I would still go, as any day chasing elk is better than a day dreaming of chasing elk. You have a great attitude about the realities of being a first timer, as you will likely get more education than opportunity. If you start your education now, you will be better prepared for the future when you can get more time off or start putting in for more difficult to draw units.

15-Apr-14
Pretty sure plenty of people kill bulls here in southern nm and the late archery season is only 6 days. 4-5 days is enough time. Would it be better to be able to hunt 7? 15? Yes of course.

Also. Don't feel like you have to walk ten miles in to kill an elk. One time my dad and I came back to camp to relax after a TOUGH day of hunting and decided to just check out right next to our campsite for the evening hunt. Called in a spike and a big 6x6 about 200 yards from the trailer. I missed after my arrow hit an unseen limb about ten feet in front of me.

I think the only "reality check" you'll experience is that it's the heroin of the hunting world! You'll be hooked.......

Just have fun and don't let anyone put any type of intimidation in you. If you're not comfortable with the thought of taking out an elk five miles away from a road, don't go five miles. Don't put too much thought in it. Be prepared but HAVE FUN!

15-Apr-14
Bowhunner.. nice bull man. Killer 3rds!

15-Apr-14
We also have "the caller" end up the killer situation..... Always! I don't know how many times friends who've tagged out and were just calling couldn't killed elk.... And again how many times I've been calling and my buddy never saw the elk and we were only 30 or so yards apart... Get a tag each and hunt hard for the five days you have like your both planning on taking a critter. Good luck be safe and have fun!

16-Apr-14

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
turkey talker,

Sorry if I sounded negative, that wasn’t my intent. I just wanted to make sure you guys had realistic expectations.

I’ve had quick success on some of my elk hunts in the past so anything is possible. In ’06 I drove solo all the way to Idaho and killed a 5x5 on the 3rd day. In ’09 I killed a nice 6x6 in Montana on my 2nd day but it took me 3 days to pack it out. In ’10 I killed a little 4x4 in New Mexico on my 2nd day hunting but it took a couple days to get it out with rented horses. In 2011 I killed a nice 6x6 on the 4th day but again it took me 4 more days to pack it and my camp out. Of the 10 elk I have killed, 8 of them have been the first time I hunted the area. I’m not intimidated or discouraged by the fact that I’ve never hunted an area before. I think sometimes past experience in a unit may influence you and may cause you not to have an open mind. If you’ve hunted there before you may have a tendency to go back to the areas that worked in the past, whereas if you’ve never been there before you may have more of an open mind and will keep searching new areas until you find elk rather than wasting time trying old spots.

I think a basic understanding of elk habits/needs and a good understanding of maps is very helpful in developing a game plan for your hunt. You should study maps thoroughly and have a game plan and a purpose when you get there so you can hit the ground running rather than waste precious time figuring out what to do. I always thoroughly study maps long before my hunt and have several options in mind. I enter map coordinates into my GPS so I can easily navigate to good looking areas. Try to pick an area with multiple options such as the convergence of multiple drainages. If you put all of your eggs in one basket (drainage) and that drainage doesn’t work out you could waste a lot of time relocating. It’s a lot easier to be able to move a short distance and hunt another drainage rather than hiking/packing out and driving to another area.

I don’t know if you plan to hunt out of a truck base camp or plan to spike/bivy out. If you plan to spike/bivy out I would have your packs all packed with everything you need (except water) so you can just grab your packs, add water and hit the trail. Trying to pack your pack at the trailhead is a waste of precious time and will make you feel rushed which will make you forget something.

If your goal is to get into elk in an OTC unit I think your best odds are to pack in away from the trailhead. If you plan to hunt out of a truck base camp, keep in mind (in my opinion) your odds for getting into elk will be reduced. If you’re more interested in a comfortable base camp and just enjoying 4-5 days in the mountains there’s nothing wrong with that, just adjust your expectations accordingly. You’ll have a great time either way.

I agree with what others have said too about both of you having tags, the caller often gets the shot.

The attached photo is of a bull I called in for my buddy Les last year. I had killed my bull the previous day, I was calling for Les and this bull came to within 20 feet of me when he shot it. The story will be in an upcoming issue of Extreme Elk.

16-Apr-14
If I am going a long ways to hunt elk we all would have tags in our pockets. I do not know your work situation but since you are not planning the trip until 2015 I would start saving vacation time and talk to my employer about using leave without pay if I had to because the more time in the woods the greater chance for success. I would plan a hunt as many days as possible. Four or five days is a short time to elk hunt. Like others have said it takes time to find the elk. Both of you should start practicing your elk calling because it is alot more fun when both hunters can call the elk. Have a good time and good luck.

16-Apr-14
"I have no problem with both of us having a tag, it's convincing him that we should both do it. I think he'll understand both of us doing it."

Simple, tell him YOU are buying a tag without question every year you are on the hunt. What he does is up to him, if he is satisfied being a caller/packer/camp cook, great. A friend who wants to somehow compel a hunter to not actually hunt is not much of a hunting partner.

However, it can happen that as 'partners' one of you might, on occasion, kill an animal or otherwise do something such that it ends the other guys hunt if time is limited in order to assist, so be it. stuff happens. But hunters generally do not wander the woods without a tag in their pocket when a tag is available, IMO. Especially for a first ever elk hunt.

16-Apr-14
I can't fathom the cost, time and effort of a trip and not having a tag. Murphy's rule will dictate that the guy without a tag will have the shot opportunity!

17-Apr-14
Two things I would never do (especially with limited time off) are

#1. Go into the woods during season without a tag if one was available to me.

#2 Use some of my limited time off to scout before the season.

17-Apr-14
A lot of good advice above.

Look at the odds - its about 12% in CO for either sex. That includes experts to newbies.

So you have an 88% chance of coming home empty handed even if you are the shooter.

I think you are asking the wrong question. Which of the below questions are you really asking:

Do I want to go elk hunting?

OR

Do I want to go elk killing?

If you are trying to answer the second question then I wouldn't go DIY and I would pay a great guide with great land.

Otherwise buy the tag and enjoy the trip. Go prepared to kill an elk but know it's about much more than that.

I know my post sounds a little weird but guys are always asking the wrong question and then ending up unhappy with the results because they didn't understand the realities of the question they were asking.

17-Apr-14
I would give several eye-teeth to be in the elk woods this season...I am working towards 2015

There is a whole raft of sage advice on this thread (and others like it); one salient point above all else is that opportunity to take an elk can come when we least expect it, novice or veteran

'Elk are where you find them, rather than where you'd like them to be...'

17-Apr-14
I've basically been on 5 elk hunts New Mexico, Wyoming New Mexico, Idaho, Idaho(others were mule deer hunts with the "chance" of seeing an elk and you can believe I had a tag in my pocket), of those 5 real elk hunts the first 3 were guided. On all hunts I was with a partner. Of the 3 guided we killed 3 elk total (2 bulls, 1 cow). The other two (idaho) were in consecutive years and DIY public land back pack hunts. The first year we were in elk almost every day but just never got it to happen and we both left empty handed. The following year we hiked in with a better knowledge of the area, lighter packs, and a much more aggressive attitude and we killed 2 bulls the first night on the first set up with in 15 minutes of each other. So on the average my partner and I kill one elk per year between us. I can tell you however that after killing two at the same time 5 miles (as the crow flies) from the truck in the Idaho mountains it makes you question your sanity and def makes you appreciate the hard hours of off season training. Would I do it again you ask? I just bought my license last night.....Do your self a favor and buy a tag, if you don't use it, I promise you won't regret it. There is something different about elk bugles when you have a tag in your pocket and bow in your hand.

17-Apr-14
I've basically been on 5 elk hunts New Mexico, Wyoming New Mexico, Idaho, Idaho(others were mule deer hunts with the "chance" of seeing an elk and you can believe I had a tag in my pocket), of those 5 real elk hunts the first 3 were guided. On all hunts I was with a partner. Of the 3 guided we killed 3 elk total (2 bulls, 1 cow). The other two (idaho) were in consecutive years and DIY public land back pack hunts. The first year we were in elk almost every day but just never got it to happen and we both left empty handed. The following year we hiked in with a better knowledge of the area, lighter packs, and a much more aggressive attitude and we killed 2 bulls the first night on the first set up with in 15 minutes of each other. So on the average my partner and I kill one elk per year between us. I can tell you however that after killing two at the same time 5 miles (as the crow flies) from the truck in the Idaho mountains it makes you question your sanity and def makes you appreciate the hard hours of off season training. Would I do it again you ask? I just bought my license last night.....Do your self a favor and buy a tag, if you don't use it, I promise you won't regret it. There is something different about elk bugles when you have a tag in your pocket and bow in your hand.

17-Apr-14
+1 Sage Buffalo. Just look at the Co. DOW's statistics page.

Most of the posts on this thread are by guys with a whole lot more money and spare time than I've got! Maybe someday!!

20-Apr-14
Go scouting when it's not hunting season and tell yourself you'll do exactly what you'll do when you are hunting and you'll only be fooling yourself. It's just not the same.

Simply put... elk hunting if done right can be so demanding that there is no way your mind will convince your body to do what it takes unless your mind knows there is an elk tag in your pocket. Trust me on that.

You can trust Mike and Sage too. Candy coating things does no good. They are realists with experience.

In 2012 I killed a 6 pt bull on day one 30 minutes after sunrise. Took 25 years for something like that to happen and it would never have happened without some tips from a good friend. If nothing else you need to come up with a good ""we got a flat 38 miles into the mountains" story for your boss. 7 days is bare bones minimum!

Like Sage said... are you really planning a hunt where not killing an elk is perfectly fine? I never have regrets but I certainly plan to kill one every single day I leave camp.

• Sitka Gear