Birdman 15-Apr-14
Duke 15-Apr-14
skullz 16-Apr-14
TurkeyBowMaster 16-Apr-14
mainbrdr 16-Apr-14
WylieCoyote 17-Apr-14
Zebrakiller 17-Apr-14
13-Apr-14
I was just watching Eichler's show and during Chuck's segment he said that he basically combats buck fever by telling himself as he draws back that "this is not going to work". It obviously works well for him, but I found that approach surprising.

I've always subscribed to the "garbage in, garbage out " mentality. I do the opposite and continually reassure myself positively. I do this every step of the way on the stalk, during the shot cycle and even on the blood trail. As with anything athletic I've ever done from high school through college to now, I've found that being optimistic produces better results than being negative. Was really surprised to hear Chuck say his method, and also to hear Fred say he does the same thing.

Thoughts? Positive or negative for you guys?

13-Apr-14
I have to constantly tell myself to take my time....don't shoot too quick....settle the pin....push and pull...

13-Apr-14
That's similar to how I made good shots on game when I had severe target panic. I told myself as the shot presented itself that I was just going to draw back and aim and not shoot. All of a sudden the pin would be where it needed to be and I would touch the trigger. I now shoot a surprise release, and go about it a bit different.

13-Apr-14
I also saw that show the other night . Myself I just focus on a spot on the animal. My dad told me when I first started hunting make a good shot and you can look at the horns all you want once they're on the ground.

I guess each person has there own method of dealing with buck fever.

13-Apr-14
I didn't see it the same way...I thought he meant the stalk or the approaching animal scenario wouldn't work out and that kept him calm for when he gets the shot.

13-Apr-14
I don't need to think or need to figure how all this is going to end up before it happens---the situation presents itself n instincts take over-- plain and simple--no motivational or negative thinking is necessary--just get it done !!!!!!!

13-Apr-14
Everyone has to do what works best for them. There's no right or wrong.

Personally, I don't consciously "think" about anything when I have a shot. I'm 100% focused on the animal and what it's doing and is about to do and when I begin my draw the only thing I'm focused on is a molecule on one of the hairs I'm aiming for.

I'm an instinctive stickbow shooter so this may be a big reason for this kind of focus, as I don't have to think about distance or pins or anything else of that nature. I shoot enough all year that my body literally goes on autopilot when I have a shot so all I focus on is the "spot".

I find that when I have to start "thinking" during this process is when I miss. I've been doing this long enough that there's been more than one time when I started second guessing a shot that I just lowered the bow and let him walk. When it's not right, it's not right. I will also add that when I came to that decision it was based on learning some lessons the hard way which I did not want to repeat.

You can't call an arrow back.

13-Apr-14
Weird...I don't think I even think at all come to think of it.

13-Apr-14
That's funny APauls.

You know some of my best shots too have also been the ones that happen so fast you can't think about it. I'm sure there's something to that.

Shug, interesting. I just rewound and went back and watched it again. You may be right. With that interpretation it makes a little more sense to me. But either way, I'm certainly no one to question Chuck Adams and whatever works for him. He could be wearing frilly pink undies and I'd still have much respect.

13-Apr-14
If you really have a problem with buck fever, ask your doctor for a prescription for Propranolol. It completely eliminates buck fever.

Performers frequently take it for stage fright.

The adrenaline rush is what causes buck fever, so you won't feel the adrenaline rush either, which for some could be a draw back.

You can't take it if you're already on a beta blocker or if you have bad asthma or COPD.

13-Apr-14
Eliminate buck fever? No way! Ike, do they make a drug that replicates it? That's what I want!

13-Apr-14
I don't think of anything either. My problem is, thinking about cutting and wrapping it, and telling the story of how I shot it long before I even draw.

13-Apr-14
Yup. For every pill that makes you smaller, there's one that makes you tall.

14-Apr-14
Auto pilot I call it... most of the time this happens in seconds.

Animal I want to shoot... Check for Gaps, holes, lanes... Which one is he/she/it headed for? Yardage? When to draw? Stop the animal?

Find pin.... Up front leg... Find crease... Back off shoulder a touch... Release.

Of course, some of the process changes at different angles and different animals.

Then get excited.

14-Apr-14
I had buck fever twice...once on a doe and another on a turkey. Most of my misses are the result of something other than buck fever and whenever I tell the animal "your dead" he always is.

14-Apr-14
Sometimes I get it bad, sometimes not. When I am preoccupied about picking a lane, or trying to find a lane, or otherwise mentally engaged with trying to get a shot, I don't fall apart until after the shot. I go on autopilot when the shot finally does present.

However, if it's one of those deals where I don't have to pick a lane, it's wide open or something, and it's pretty clear I'm going to have a shot, I can get really nervous and shaky. In these situations, I take deep breaths, and keep repeating to myself over and over in my head, "Calm down, you've been here before. Calm down, you've done this before."

Sadly, I no longer get too nervous for does. So I don't shoot them much anymore.

A couple examples, in 2012 I killed my best bull elk. Sitting a wallow. Sun hit me and I moved back farther into the brush, which also obscured my shot to the wallow. Of course, that's when the bull came in. We went through 4 or 5 minutes of stare downs, trying to move, getting picked off, finally getting a lane, bull spooked about 5 yards off, and finally got a shot. I was not nervous or shaky at all. Way too preoccupied with trying to make the shot to get nervous. But I fell apart after the shot

Last year, a nice older buck came in, all the time in the world. He was just moseying, eating acorns and browsing. It was clear he was going to enter a lane at about 20 yards. I was a wreck. Had to keep taking deep breaths and trying to calm myself. I finally calmed down, right before the shot, but it didn't matter, I still blew it. I heard a hit that sounded like a hit close to bone. He ran off HARD, like a heart shot deer will do lots of times. I never found blood, hair, arrow, nothing. Buck showed back up on cam, I saw him 2 1/2 weeks later with no ill effects. I got 30-40 pics of him later, and never could see an arrow wound, so to this day I don't know what I did wrong

Bake

14-Apr-14
Bowme2 "Auto Pilot" is a good term for it-- all the thinking should be done before animal is seen -- everyone is different n whatever works for each hunter is good enough, just get it done !!

14-Apr-14
I try to remind myself not to rush the shot. Just take that few seconds to breath, set my pin and squeeze. Almost always have more time than I think...try to be calm and don't rush it.

14-Apr-14
I'm not the originator of this, but when I start to draw on an animal, I remind myself and silently tell myself to "make it count". I know when I draw my bow, I know my time and efforts are coming to a head and it is time to get it done. I have had a lot more trouble with target panic than I have with buck fever. I've herd pro's say that it is the same, but it is not for me. I can settle on a trophy animal easier than I can stand and shoot in front of someone when TP is having an effect on me.

I also disagree with Chuck. When you think you can't, you usually can't, and when you think you can, you usually can. What ever works for Chuck is fine, but his suggestion would not work for me.

I had a baseball coach instill a mind set in me many years ago and it can certainly apply to drawing on a trophy. He told me that I had a passion for playing baseball and to always remember when I was in the batter's box or when I was at short-stop, to remember that there was no place that I had rather be at that moment than to be in the batter's box or be on defense. You want to be the one with the bat in your hands or you want the ball hit to you. "MAKE IT COUNT!"

14-Apr-14
I remind myself not to rush it too. The archery part of it is easy so long as you don't rush it and blow a shot you know you can make.

14-Apr-14
Many years ago, I came up with the mantra of "draw, anchor, aim, release, follow through". I now add "pick a spot" after aim. I keep repeating it as the animal comes closer. By focusing the mind on the shot aspects, I get less nervous. Still get the fever a bit, but more controlled.... until after the killing shot! ;)

Thousands of practice shots help too as the mechanics are ingrained into the body.

>>>>------->

14-Apr-14
Well if I could the excitement that Stan Potts gets I wouldn't stop a thing.

15-Apr-14
I have not had Buck Fever in over 20 years.

I still get the shakes of excitement after I shoot a buck. But I have not shot a buck in over 3 years. We have a rule in our hunting club. (you shoot a buck regardless of size you have it mounted).

I do not get the shakes at all if I shoot a doe.

15-Apr-14
I use to be rock solid now I come unglued if Im going to shoot a rabbit have no Idea where this came from.

15-Apr-14
I read Chucks book and don' recall him saying its not going to work. Remember that he talks, in his mind, that the animal will not get close or get in range and then if it does the shot will not happen. Then when the animal is there and the shot happens he has remained calm right through it.

If I lay on a sheep and start to let myself think I will get a shot then I might be there for an hour going nuts. If I tell myslef the ram will get up and walk straight away from me with no good shot opportunity it helps control my emotions. Then hopefully he stands, looks away and an arrow is on the way.

From my read from Chuck, that is what he does, and that is what I have tried to do.

15-Apr-14
The gist of it is to not get too geeked up before you shoot. It's really hard bowhunting because you're so close. By telling myself 'this is probably not going to happen' I can be more of a calm observer up to and through the shot sequence than somebody who's FINALLY GOING TO GET A SHOT FOR CHRIST'S SAKE. It's all about getting/maintaining mental control. Mental checklists are helpful too. As a finger release guy, Chuck has one more thing he has to do just right.

15-Apr-14
Interesting. I've never thought of that approach, but with Adams, Eichler and Foss saying it works for them, there must be something to it. I might have to try a new outlook on my next stalk.

15-Apr-14
THINK SMALL MISS SMALL !!

15-Apr-14
Like some others above, I don't get all nerved up until after the shot, but then my leg jumps up and down like I am freezing cold and have the jitters.

I have found that simply focusing on the feather or area of hair that I WILL shoot immediately before I shoot works best for me.

Interesting approach that Chuck takes. Never heard of this in athletics or other method repetitive actions, but it obviously works for him and I doubt he will seek a shooting shrink anytime soon!

16-Apr-14
I don't get very nervous..... I just tell myself to pick a spot. I do get pretty jazzed after the shot though as some others have said.

16-Apr-14
It's amazing how the mind works and how many tricks can be played on your own mind. I do a lot if self filming and never get as nervous at the shot because my focus is on the camera and I never look at the animal except through the viewfinder. The switch to the bow comes at the last few seconds so there is not time to get shook. Without the camera I watch the animal the entire time and get more nervous. It really doesn't affect the shot though as long as a calm comes over me the instant I draw and muscle memory takes over.

16-Apr-14
Hey Zebrakiller, the same thing happened to me! I think I figured out why. Years ago I would shoot a buck about every year but as I got older I made the decision to shoot only a 150 or better whitetail. In the last 9 years before this year I had only shot 3 deer and I was not very calm on any of them. I just had not been doing it enough so this year I shot a doe early in the season and 3 weeks later was calm shooting a good buck.

17-Apr-14
Interesting comments......I have this little game I play with my mind and it works well for me...when a shot opportunity approaches, I tell myself that this is "no big deal" and try to literly smile as I aim...I am telling myself that whether I miss or not is really not that important....I sorta get in a "who cares" mode and usually shoot much better than when I concentrate and am stressed about blowing the opportunity !!

Joe

17-Apr-14
mainbrdr good plan same here I think I just enjoy bowhunting so much cant control myself, I make sure I go on two or three hog hunts a year to keep freezer full and to shoot something.

• Sitka Gear