CAS_HNTR 24-Apr-14
Fuzzy 24-Apr-14
Fuzzy 24-Apr-14
Fuzzy 25-Apr-14
kellyharris 25-Apr-14
Ace of Spades 25-Apr-14
Fuzzy 25-Apr-14
16-Apr-14
I am just wondering how many folks do improvemnets to the property they hunt on?

I understand you may hunt private property where you cannot do any improvements but what about private, lease, public??? What kind of improvemnts do you do?

Last year we had a skid steer in to fix some major erosion issues that a neighbor has that we use. He is landlocked and we felt it was a good gesture along with improving our overall safety using it.

We also fixed the erosion area where we camp also. we lost about 10 feet of our camping area and felt it was time to fix that as well.

This weekend we are having the same guy out to fix more erosion areas on the lease so that it keeps the property up to good condition!

We had a tremendous amount of downfall on most of the logging roads and it was a pain for deer recovery. Last weekend we cleared a bunch of them for better access and to reduce risk of injury.

16-Apr-14

kellyharris's embedded Photo

16-Apr-14

16-Apr-14

16-Apr-14

16-Apr-14

16-Apr-14
We have a lot more cutting and skid steer work going on this weekend I will post more Photos.

16-Apr-14
SO for between last year and this year we are putting in about $4,300.00 over and above lease payment!

16-Apr-14
I own my own place Kelly, and I'm doing something nearly every time I get the chance. Cut up some downed trees last weekend , took down a couple more with my backhoe, put it all in a pile to burn later. Always something to do !

16-Apr-14
X2 drycreek.

Just finished up cutting up a huge honey locust tree & cleaning up all the branches on my new farm tonite. The previous owners let several of these lone locust trees grow up out in the middle of the hay ground. Not sure why.

Got most of the hay ground worked up last week. Going to row crop part of it plus putting in 3 food plots in as well.

If a guy had to work as hard at his regular job, he would bitch about it!

Have to agree with Pat on your skid! I wish mine had tracks instead of wheeled. They sure are handy either way!

16-Apr-14
I Have More Hours Doing Habitat Work Than I Do Hunting... Probably Double!!

16-Apr-14
Me too huntmaster, but I enjoy it ALMOST as much as the hunting !

17-Apr-14
Pat, It's a freaking blast to be doing these improvemnts!!!

The skid steer is owned by Brunk Excavating. They do a lot of work here at the MillerCoors Trenton, Ohio brewery.

He is clearing every road we have on the property this weekend and hopefully putting in about a 1-2 acre food plot in the middle of a 350 acre clear cut that was cut 8 years ago!

Also we have 2 small water holes that he will be making bigger so that will make for a nice stand area.

I am thinking I will have about 18-22 miles of cleared logging roads on that 1036 acres? It will be nice for deer recovery. I am 48 years old and the idea of dragging a deer up one of those hills is no longer entertaining.

I have to admit it will also be nice to be able to hike these roads once they are all cleared away.

I will post more photos over the weekend to show improvements on the property.

If anyone in SW Ohio or Northern Ky needs any excavating work shoot me a message and I can give you Jason Brunk contact info.

17-Apr-14
Just spent most of last weekend with a chainsaw in hand and hope to do the same this weekend. There is always something to do. 300 hybrid poplars have been shipped. Fruit trees coming in a couple weeks.

17-Apr-14
I always enjoyed doing the habitat work as much or more than huting..ironic that now I have time to do it, I no longer have the property... thinking of volunteering to do some on a local WMA that's under development

17-Apr-14
Fuzzy your welcome to come help out this weekend :0)

I have my right hand in a cast and am limitied on what I can do :0)

21-Apr-14
WOW having the skid steer and having a guy who knows what the hell he is doing is worth its weight in gold.

Our hills are extremely rouged for Ohio standards "Foothills to Appalachia's"

There were two areas he did not get to that were planned. One being my favorite hunting spot :0)

He said he needed an actual dozer because of how steep and rocky they were.

So I think my dad and I are going to have him back up this summer with the actual bull dozer.

21-Apr-14
I really like this thread. It is nice to know that I am not the only one who thinks work is fun.

I was recently "diagnosed" by a fellow bowsiter as having a borderline addiction to burning pasture. Land improvement is a passion.

I remember damming up little ditches with a shovel as a kid, making ponds during a rain storm. I think that is where it all began....

21-Apr-14
kelly, love to but it's a bit of a drive, maybe plan it soon tho? :-)

21-Apr-14
Pat, you are an awesome web designer, but my grandpa wouldn't be impressed with your flow furrows ;-)

21-Apr-14
Pat, you are an awesome web designer, but my grandpa wouldn't be impressed with your flow furrows ;-)

21-Apr-14
Agree with both statements. :)

21-Apr-14
This weekend I planted 75 trees to break a 3 ac field into two smaller ones......marked (with tree paint) the entire property boundary......made a mineral site......took soil samples

Not bad for a days work!

21-Apr-14
So far this spring, I've planted 30 Chinese Chestnut trees, and put in almost 7 acres of food plots. It is a ton of work, but a lot of fun.

21-Apr-14
LMAO

22-Apr-14
We did not remove any trees other than clear some logging roads. We do have a few open areas leass than 1/2 acre each area that we plan to do some food plots but that most likely wont happen until next year.

I will be back out at property this weekend and will get after photos. I already took the before photos.

22-Apr-14

Here you can see how steep and rugged this is for Ohio.

22-Apr-14
Planted 1,000 spruce seedlings weekend before last. Planting fruit trees this coming weekend. Only planting a few as I'll need to cage them all as soon as they are planted.

22-Apr-14
At my age (63) I get as much pleasure from the local habitat work as I do the local hunting. I defer to the sons/grandkids doing the hunting and I get to help in 3D shooting, planning, and then recovery, butchering, and everything that goes with it. I'm doing enough out of state/country hunting that I am glad to do it that way for them.

It gets a lot easier when the sons' business brings the tracked skid steer and the son in law has a mini-hoe. Things I can't do with the 50 hp front wheel assist tractor are a breeze with their equipment.

We bought an adjacent 55 acres this winter. The future plans for that are CRP in hardwoods and warm season grasses, so habitat work is never ending.

23-Apr-14
Thinking of planting a small grove of apple or pear trees in one area to see how that does for stand positioning in a few years?

24-Apr-14
kelly it will be 5-10 years before you get enough fruit coming in the really draw deer and hold them, and you will need to put up some serious protection to keep the deer off those apple and pear trees. BUT if you are willing, it will make for an awesome bowhunting spot in about ten years!

24-Apr-14
When I lived in Loveland I planted some dwarf apple trees and they were producing apples in about 3 years? When I bought the tree it was about 4-5 ft. tall?

to be honest I dont know much about fruit trees.

24-Apr-14
Pat....that amount is almost laughable!!

Kelly, dwarfs trees will produce quicker but deer will be able to eat alot of the lower limbs as they only get 8-10 ft tall. May want to consider a taller tree.

24-Apr-14
yep kelly you'll have some fruit in 2-3 years, but enough to hold deer takes longer, the tree has to get some size...if you want to speed that up, use tree fertilizer and clip off most of the "fruiting spurs " after the tree blooms for the first five years... so the tree puts all it's energy into growth rather than fruit

24-Apr-14
Pat you shouldn't let that scrub buck eat all your apples. I'd shoot him.

25-Apr-14
Sweet! :-) that'll show im!

25-Apr-14
Pat/Fuzzy have you found a certian type of Apple tree that they like best?

What type of trees would rou recommend?

25-Apr-14
One with apples under them!?! Lol couldn't help myself.

Nice place and equipment.

Josh

25-Apr-14
Kelly, Deer love apples period.

If you're planting apples to attract and hold deer, don't use palatability as a deciding factor. Here are the factors: (I am not an orchardist so these are my own terms)

1) Ripening "window" ... some varieties ripen and "drop" very early, as early as late June... if you want apples on the ground in October, you'll want a fall ripening variety

2) "Cling" ...to extend the usefuless of the tree, you want a variety that retains some of the fruit well into late fall or even winter. That way in late season, the deer will be checking those trees regularly for those little treats that drop from time to time.

3)Yield.... you want a tree that puts out a LOT of apples....size is less important, in fact deer will utilize smaller diameter apples more readily. You want large numbers of fruit.

4) "Keep" quality. As with "cling" you want fruit that will be there for awhile before it turns to mush. A hard, sour (acidic) apple is best.

5) Hardiness...you wont be pruning, spraying and mollycoddling these trees like an orchardist, so you want a "semi-feral" tree. one that can hold it's own with little or no care.

With these parameters in mind, you are gonna want to steer toward the "heirloom" varieties. The pioneers wanted the same things in an apple tree.

Look at Ganoe/Ben Davis, Johnson, Jonathan, Black Twig (a larger fruit variety but fits the other criteria) and also consider transplanting "volunteer" seedling trees from old farmsites and abandoned houseplaces. These are true "feral" trees with parent stock that may include crabapples as well as a half dozen heirloom varieties. Some of these trees have awfully tasty fruit though it is universally small, hard, and sour.

• Sitka Gear