stress shooting
General Topic
Contributors to this thread:
orionsbrother 17-Apr-14
17-Apr-14
I'm working to turn my new bow into an old friend. I subscribe to the theory that multiple short sessions are better. It's the first arrow that counts. And time constraints in my schedule make it easier to grab ten to fifteen minutes at a crack. So I tend to shoot six arrows in a round or two or three with breaks in between. Because of daylight issues, I've been shooting indoors, before and after work and have been limited to a max of 32 yards. Overall, I am very pleased with my shooting, but I've been noticing something with my stress shooting.

I'll do 100 jumping jacks, some squats or burpees and some leaps and then pick up the bow. If I pick up the bow and shoot while my heart rate is elevated, my first shot or two out of six are dead on and my last shot or two are as well, but the middle two shots are tougher to dial in when my heart rate is in the middle range.

Likewise, if I pick up my bow and pause for my heart rate to drop just a little, where it's "loping" or starting to settle, and then take the shot, I notice the drift.

Typically it's maybe 2-3" from center punch, but that's at a max of 32 yds right now.

Any tips on shooting when your heart rate is in that mid range, other than waiting another minute? Also, any physiological signals that can be monitored for the "threshold" into and out of that mid range heart rate where consistent shooting is a little tougher?

• Sitka Gear