x-man 25-Apr-14
weekender21 25-Apr-14
TurkeyBowMaster 26-Apr-14
Russ Koon 26-Apr-14
midwest 26-Apr-14
razorsharp 26-Apr-14
TurkeyBowMaster 27-Apr-14
17-Apr-14
Shooting 100 gr Magnus stingers with 340 FMJs out of my Hoyt Faktor 30. BHs are consistently grouping about 2" right of FPs out to 40. This is the closest I have EVER got the two to group. Wondering if yoke tune would fine tune it?

17-Apr-14
It might, unless it's "you". Then it won't matter what you do. These short ATA bows really make it hard to get a handle on hand torque.

18-Apr-14
Best way I've found to check for hand torque is to shoot a few arrows with the bow hand lubricated with a slick substance (arrow lube, butter, WD-40, whatever).

If your POI changes when shooting with a slick hand, you were torquing the bow when you sighted in. Best fix is to change the way you fit the bow grip to your hand until there is no change when going to the slick bow hand.

Some shooters prefer to keep a certain amount of torque and try to control it. That also works if done very consistently, until you put on gloves for some cold weather hunting, or get caught in a rain. Better to simply eliminate the torquing and check from time to time to make sure none has crept back into your form, IMO. It is an insidious form problem that has a tendency to recur.

18-Apr-14
Kudos on your tuning efforts. what you will find is a better shooting more forgiving bow when you get it right. From what I've seen, only about 10% of archers tune for BH's...many only take it half way paper tuning FP's.

I've always shot longer axle bows with heavier arrows and only had to do minor yoke tuning a couple of times to get them in the same hole at 40 yds.

18-Apr-14
My arrow weight is 466 grains with 70lbs of draw wt.

18-Apr-14
My carbon element shoots better with left torque and that makes the arrow fly straighter and broadheads hit with tt. Try getting deep into the grip where your wrist is against the cables and twist the bow as you draw. This will make the broadheads go left more and it want affect the tt. You can also shoot a Barre shaft and torque purposefully until it shoots straight. The handles are off to one side on the Hoyts too far so unless you institute purposeful torque broadheads will hit right if tt.

18-Apr-14
How would you like to be a new guy fishing for good advice and see that torque comment above?

18-Apr-14
Sigh

18-Apr-14
There ya' go....you heard it here first ;-)

18-Apr-14
I got Bullheads flying great at 280 fps out to 30 by instituteing the left torque. That's hard to do if you havnt tried it try it and you will be impressed. HDYLMK

18-Apr-14
Actually they do good to 30...after that they take a hard right turn, ricoshey off a cedar tree, cut a gash in the neighbors cement pondplastic shade...and it goes sseverely downhill from there. Not my fault the cat shouldn't have been there anyway.

18-Apr-14
Half twist in your top left yoke leg will get it the rest of the way. I shoot a Spyder 34 and have done everything, then some.

18-Apr-14
Thanks for the constructive advice guys.

19-Apr-14

razorsharp's embedded Photo
razorsharp's embedded Photo
This is a 60 yard group. Aiming at the black piece of foam. Since made a sight correction. The right most black shaft is the broad head. I can't shoot this tight of a group at 60 every time but this shows the amount the FPs are left when I shoot good well aimed and released shots.

19-Apr-14
That's pretty close.try pushing yourvfingers toward the target orvpulling your thumb back. It want take much as you are so close already. I corrected mine by doing that because I had gone so far with the yoke and was scared to go any further.

19-Apr-14
Holy crap, you're an idiot TBM!

19-Apr-14
I just wondering if it works for more than just me?

19-Apr-14
Every time you flex a muscle in your bow hand,bad things happen. Doesn't matter if it's fingers, thumb, palm, wrist, ect... bad things are going to happen. Even worse than doing it though, is trying to teach others to do it. I'd venture a guess that razorsharp's 60 yard BH to FP groups are tighter than TBM's 20 yard ones.

It's like a blind man teaching drivers ed.

19-Apr-14
I just think that some bows the design flaws and you have to compensate for that. Like a car that pulls to the right...if you have a loose grip on the wheel you will end up in the privet hedges.

19-Apr-14
You just think wrong.

19-Apr-14
I just think that some bows the design flaws and you have to compensate for that. Like a car that pulls to the right...if you have a loose grip on the wheel you will end up in the privet hedges.

20-Apr-14
But you did get the proper spelling of "loose" for the application, TBM!

Congratulations!

I think if you can back that feat up in another post as a proof of it not being mere chance, that will put you in the top 25% of posters in that category of comparison.

BTW, if you pull your thumb back just a bit, you'll miss the "v" and hit the space bar with more regularity. 8^)

20-Apr-14
beendare is correct most guys don't tune for BH. in order to tune BH a archer has to do same form over and over !!! BH will show ones form flaws!!!!

What I would try first since u are so close and have a good grouping !!! is a slight pin movement very slight I have done this in the past when close as u are and both field points and BH touch !! if that fails then twist away !! good luck

20-Apr-14
Wow TBM................

20-Apr-14
If I were you I would take the blazer vans off and go with 4" feathers with as much helical as you could get out of them. I do like blazers but they don't belong in the woods when you're hunting I don't feel like they stabilize the arrow all that well with fixed bladed broadheads

20-Apr-14
I agree on ditching the blazers... but id go with vanes... either way u are darn close !! Good luck finishing it up man!!!

21-Apr-14
You can get more clearance and better control with 4 fletch 75x105 than with 3 fletch on rest like QAD dropaway. 4 four inch feathers would guide most anything.

21-Apr-14
The best BH tuner I have ever met is SerbianShark. His Super high level of OCD makes him this!

Several questions to rule out it has nothing to do with equipment?

Is your arrow square per say so that the nock marries up perfectly to the shaft so that you have absolute zero chance of your nock being offset in the shaft straight?

Have you spun test on a tool/machine your shafts to make sure there is zero wobble in them? I am not talking about putting them in your hand and blowing on the fletching.

Have you inserted your broadhead and respun your arrow via tool/machine to make sure there is zero wobble atthe tip of your broadhead?

Several Years back I was shooting Magnus, my was shoot Slick Tricks and Serb was shooting Montecs. We spun test all 3 arrows and my dads Slick Tricks had the most wobble. He said he wasnt shooting them anymore and Serb says Hold on Don are you sure your nock is setting in your shaft square? Sure as hell where the shaft had been cut it wasnt square!

Serb has a tool to square it up, we actually pulled all three of our heads and nocks out and squared up the shafts. We reinserted our nock and Broad heads.

At the end of doing this Montec still had zero wobble, Slick stricks had very little wobble and the Magnus had the most wobble! It was a great education for dad and I.

Serb still shoots Montecs and my dad and I shoot Slick Tricks.

I hope this helps?

21-Apr-14
I have an arrow spinner and a fixture to true up the ends. I will check point and nock ends for squareness.

21-Apr-14
Moved rest up another 1/16th and groups got even tighter. Will still check ends for trueness.

22-Apr-14
Razorsharp,

i'll try to give you some advice you can actually use or understand.

sounds like you are 90% tuned. you just now need to fine tune your bow.

up and down discrepancies can always be adjusted by nock or rest adjustments.

left and right - always, always, always check your form before making adjustments. You want your bow shooting as close to center as possible.

If you can get the left/right discrepancies out without moving the rest you are doing great. and it is very doable.

I check mine by drawing the bow and coming to anchor, then glance down towards your lower cam, and upper cam. and you can tell if the string is coming off the cam at an angle, adjust your wrist/grip until it looks better - this will give you an idea about how you may need to change your grip - or how much you need to yoke tune. I usually find that both are needed. most right handed shooter pull the sting off the cam to the left - which caused broadheads to shoot to the right.

usually a minor grip change with some yoke tune will get your broad heads shooting exactly like your field tips.

Be patient and when you find the "tune" be sure to practice it in exactly the same form.

22-Apr-14
Yes I have noticed that when the shot feels perfect they are close together. When I try to push the pin onto the spot at the release the BH always goes to the right.

Will check the string.cam relationship at full draw as well as confirm trueness of all arrow components.

Thank you all for your input.

22-Apr-14
I recommend making a draw board to look at and the cam lean. You can make very small adjustments on the yoke and see it at full draw.

22-Apr-14
Probably a dumb question - What is a draw board? Any photos? Thanks

Dave

23-Apr-14
It allows you to draw your bow incrementaly so that you can check cam timing I believe.

23-Apr-14
I like draw boards for initial set ups - but it does not factor in the hand torque which I believe this most peoples problems.

23-Apr-14
With all of the talk about cam lean, I feel it necessary to mention- on some bows you WANT a little cam lean. Cam lean by itself is not a horrible thing. Its sometimes a necessary evil for cable clearance.

As an example, I took the cam lean out of my Spyder Turbo and it shot like crap. It tunes and shoots perfect with a little cam lean.

23-Apr-14
It looked like the bottom cam leans to the right a little at full draw. String angled to the left.

25-Apr-14
Razor sharp - that's what most people experience.

now with a minor grip change and practice you will group better and have a better arrow flight - you may need to yoke tune a little - depends on how much you want to change your grip.

Good luck and good shooting.

25-Apr-14
you may need to change your grip "

Over and over people reccommend changing the grip which changes the torque, yet when I reccommend purposeful torque I get blasted. Changing the grip is changing the torque...purposeful torque is changing the torque but you actually know what you are doing when it is on purpose. I found the torque needed was opposite of what I would have thought. Twisting the risor to the left moves the arrows left

25-Apr-14
TBM...you have no knowlege to which you speak.

On one thread your trying to tell someone how to shoot with proper form...yet you post about adding torque.

Give it up.

25-Apr-14
By changing the grip, we want to eliminate the existing torque, never EVER to add torque.

25-Apr-14
Unless you want your arrow to turn a corner, then torque us ok...

26-Apr-14
This is a common thread for carbon element and spyder shooters. I think it is a design flaw. Yoke twisting seems to be the most advised way to eliminate the problem but sometimes might not be enough to fully eleminate it at long distances or with big hard to tune heads. I will do more shooting now that turkey season is out of the way but my findings prior to turkey season is still vivid in my mind....the purposeful torque make the broadheads impact right was eliminated and a straighter flying arrow resulted by getting deep into the grip with my thumb to the target as far as possible and drawing that way and then ratating my hand back to the left, eventually twisting the bow in a manner that felt like would make the string hit my arm after released. Why that made the broadheads move left and impact with field tips is beyond me...I would thought the opposite. It worked for me and will work fir anyone else but they want have the man-tools to come on here and say I was right.

26-Apr-14
TBM, there is indeed more than one way to correct the arrow flight from a poorly tuned bow.

As you have found, it can sometimes be accomplished by shooting with incorrect form in just the right amount and direction.

Another example of using incorrect form very consistently and accurately would be Jim Furyk, the professional golfer, who has been very consistently among the top five or so at year's end on the pro tour, and has made millions at the game over the last generation. His golf swing is a looping figure eight that would make any swing coach purple with rage, but Jim has used that same swing since childhood and has been very successful.

But even Jim will readily admit that it is NOT the swing to teach others. He has been successful DESPITE having that loopy swing that CAN be used with great accuracy by someone with the determination to make it consistent enough to equal the swing being taught by the swing coaches. And someone who spends the time practicing and maintaining that swing that a pro does. His success has not been BECAUSE of his odd swing, but DESPITE it.

Similarly the form most of us try to adhere to is the one where torquing is MINIMIZED. We could all strive to induce just the right torque to correct our other form errors or our lack of finishing the tuning job, and we could probably find that sweet spot where we had the combination working and got good arrow flight, with a little luck.

But strings wear out, bows change tune, and archers sometimes put them on the shelf for a few months while they do other things, or trade them in for the newer model. Then come time to resume shooting or to get back on the range with different gear, we would have to find that magic spot all over again. It would be sort of like "holding off" with your rifle to compensate for the sights not being dialed in. Better to adjust them than to learn to hold off just the right amount.

WRT the "design flaw" being the culprit, you might consider how many people are shooting the bows that you find to be flawed with good form and excellent results WITHOUT needing to induce personal torque to correct the flight.The numbers would indicate to me that there are a vast majority who have found other ways to correct the tendency, if it does exist, by more conventional tuning methods.

I remember many years ago (pre-compound era) using somewhat similar tactics to the one you describe to bring my point of impact more consistently into the five-ring with a target recurve. At one point, I discovered that my most consistent release was done by pushing the bow towards the target and letting it "take" the string from my fingers. My index finger would very consistently thump me in the upper lip at release, but the arrow would drill the spot automatically, every time, using that release method. Won a couple of local indoor shoots that way before getting tired of finishing the rounds looking like I'd gone a couple rounds in the ring. Maybe I could have gone to face guard of some kind, instead, but I think the better decision was to look farther for a form correction that would let me finish an indoor round without looking and feeling quite so beat up.

Bottom line; using poor form consistently is one way to correct a problem. There are better ways.

26-Apr-14
TBM says...

"Like a car that pulls to the right...if you have a loose grip on the wheel you will end up in the privet hedges."

So you would adjust your grip on the wheel to compensate when common sense would tell most people to get the front end aligned.

26-Apr-14
4" vane fletched shaft with same broad head performed worse than the blazers at 50-60 yards. Further right. Waiting on my truing fixture to get back from machinist. A soon as it does I will check nock and tip ends for trueness. The tip ends will be 2nd time.

27-Apr-14
I wouldn't have expected the vanes to do better than blazers. Feathers would do better...4x4 feathers would do even better. A heavier spine arrow might help too.

• Sitka Gear