Bake 18-Apr-14
DJ 18-Apr-14
TurkeyBowMaster 18-Apr-14
willliamtell 18-Apr-14
Rayzor 18-Apr-14
Stealth2 19-Apr-14
Buffalo1 21-Apr-14
18-Apr-14
I hunt hogs often at a place loaded with snakes this time of year. It's hot and steep and I do lots of hiking so need a boot with good mobility and breathable. I've had lots of close calls over the years and often pack out after dark. Figured it was time I got smart. Recommendations?

18-Apr-14
Any experience with the Danner Jackals snake boot?

18-Apr-14
I have the Danner Pronghorns and love them. Very comfortable...great for chasing hogs. I think they are a little more expensive than the Jackals though.

In Florida I wear snake boots more than any other...still see snakes down here into January :)

18-Apr-14
I've looked at the Turtleskin gaiters before. I hate snakes.

My question to anybody who knows, and I don't mean to derail the thread. . .

But how many snake bites, are actually below the knee? And I mean people out and about, not the crazies that are handling snakes and bitten, or someone bitten while trying to kill the snake

Anyone know?

Bake

18-Apr-14
I log a few hundred miles per year doing field surveys in Montana including plenty of snaky miles. We're required to wear protection even in non snake country so we exclusively use snake gaiters rather than chaps or boots. We're adding some Turtleskins to the mix this year since they're lighter weight than the other versions out there which can be hot and bothersome during midday.

Bake, certainly most bites are on the hands of Darwin Award wannabes but I'd be more curious how many people are bitten above the knee but NOT on the hand. While our prairie rattlers are generally puny compared to their more southerly brethren, the ones I've encountered tend to strike more laterally than vertically when they even bother at all.

18-Apr-14
The best ones I found are the pair that is at least 8 feet away from any snake

18-Apr-14
Not sayin they don't have some use, but for all the times I've had the bejeepers scared out of me never stepped on one (stepped over two though), so never was high on my purchase list. Then again, if I got into a den area with high grass I might change my mind.

18-Apr-14
I've owned 2 pair of Cabelas and 1 pair Rockies. Both were good. I wear them everytime I hit the field from spring through cold weather in the late fall. Both brands were equally good and comfortable. I wear light weight pants tuck my pant legs in them to keep out the ticks and chiggars too.

Never owned Danner Snake Boots, but their Pronghorns were the most comfortable boot I've ever owned.

19-Apr-14
I have a pair of LaCrosse Diamondback rubber snake boots that are good but a few years ago I purchased Turtleskin Gaiters and really love them. Camo, Light weight and easy on/easy off. Expensive yes...but how much would a visit to the ER cost you. Here in NY where I turkey hunt, we have Copperheads and Timber Rattlers.....I feel very safe wearing the protection.

21-Apr-14
I have been well pleased with my Lacrosse Snake Boots. Waterproof, comfortable and have worked with a king snake bite, but no poison snake incidents yet.

• Sitka Gear