Nick Muche 19-Apr-14
tobinsghost 07-Feb-15
kota-man 07-Feb-15
RTJ1980 07-Feb-15
NvaGvUp 07-Feb-15
Billincamo 07-Feb-15
kscowboy 10-Feb-15
18-Apr-14
Earlier this year at The Sheep Show, I bought a pair of KUIU's Zamberlan boots. Then last month at the ADBSS banquet, I won a pair of Kenetrek's Mountain Extreme boots in the Big 15 raffle. I had to send them back to get the correct size and the new boots arrived today.

The KUIU boots are VERY stiff and need a lot of breaking in. However, they have a gear-like locking device at the top of the instep. That allows you to lock in the tightness of your lower foot, then set a different tightness with the lacing at the ankle. I like that feature a LOT.

The Kenetrek boots are way more comfortable out of the box, but do not allow for the duel-system tightening control.

I've done three short two-mile walks with the KUIU boots and think they'll be terrific once I break them in and learn how to adjust the upper and lower tightening systems.

I've just finished my first two-mile test with the Kenetrek boots and don't see any problems with breaking them in. They were great right from the start..

Do any of you guys have any experience with either of these boots? If so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Kyle

18-Apr-14
Took me a very long time with the Kenetrek boots to break them in. I guess everyone has a different fit. Keep them both and you won't have to buy another boot for a decade plus. Bob.

18-Apr-14
have two pairs of kenetrek with very little break in period needed!

webfoot

18-Apr-14
Bob,

That's my thinking as well. Both are awesome boots to be used for different hunts.

No new boots needed for at least another ten years!

18-Apr-14
I owned a pair of kennetreks and initially they fit great and broke in quickly! I fell in love with them, but... The soles are too soft and wear ridiculously fast. In two months I had worn through the outsole and into the mid sole. I called kennetrek to complain and see if there was any way they would resole them at a discounted rate. They said no... Since I had paid so much for them and they fit so well I had them foolishly resoled at full price and after three months they were toast again... I hike every day for work and put in serious miles backpacking and shed hunting so I wear boots much faster than most but this was unacceptable. I've since started wearing Scarpas (I get a steep discount) and they are far more durable and just as high quality! Just some thoughts since I was so disappointed.

19-Apr-14
I purchase a pair of zamberlan with the norwegian welt specifically for the purpose of being able to re sole them. My problem has always been worn out soles just as im getting the uppers the way I like them. The Zamberlan takes a bit to break in, the leather is incredibly thick, Im finding them to be very comfortable. They have the best heel cup on any boot i have worn

19-Apr-14
I was wearing Kennetrek mountain extremes last season and had a similar experience as aspen bulls. They were comfortable right out of the box and there was no real break in period. The soft soles wore out and disfigured after a couple of months. I was not happy with this as they were a very expensive boot. I was already looking at Zamberlan boots before Kuiu came out with the Pamir's, so I decided to give Kuiu boots a try. They were very stiff out of the box, but never gave me blisters or were uncomfortable. They are just a stiff boot.After you break them in they become less stiff. The stiffness is great in steep loose terrain as you can really dig either your toe or side of the boot (side hilling) and have a stable platform. So far the Zamberlans have held up very well and I think they should last a long time.

19-Apr-14
I have two pairs of Mountian Extremes one insulated and another pair non insulated.

There the best boots I've ever own and fit like a glove.

I know they recommend you hike at least 30-40 miles on them before you go hunting in steep terrain.

I don't think you go wrong with either. Remember everyone's feet are different and boots fit each individual differently.

19-Apr-14
I like my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes, but I'm not sure they're the perfect boot for me. I have some issues with heel slippage and rubbing still.

I also wasn't as lucky on the break in period. It took about 60 miles to fully break them in, I had lots of heel blisters when doing hills until that point.

Even with those issues, they are still the most comfortable boot I've ever owned. After a full day of elk hunting my feet still feel fresh at the end. With every other boot I've owned my feet were always hurting by the end of the day, never happens with these.

19-Apr-14
Lots of people use Kenetreks with great success.

I've only "known" one guy to use the KUIU ones and he didn't like them. He will likely chime in after he returns from his Brown Bear hunt!

07-Feb-15
Well since most have worn their Kenetreks through the season, I'd like to ask what your thoughts are now. I'm considering them in the Ni version. Thoughts?

07-Feb-15
I tried both. (I'm only a year late Nick) Neither of these were for me. The new '15 KUIU boot is a nice compromise between these two.

My issue with the Kene's was fit. My issue with the Zamberlan's was that they were just too stiff.

After trying about 20 pairs of mountain boots, I settled on Lowa Bighorns. They fit me like a glove, plenty stiff for me and the wear has been fantastic. I bought a second pair just to own before they don't make them anymore.

Got an update for us Kyle? I'm sure you've put both of these boots through their paces in the last year.

07-Feb-15
i have worn my Kenne's two elk seasons now, and I really like them. They were pretty stiff until I got about 100mi on them with a pack on. For part of my conditioning I hike the only hill in NE WI with a 75lb pack on. It seems like the more weight on them the better they are. I have never worn the Zamberlands but they were going to be my next choice if the Kenne's didn't work out.

07-Feb-15
Shortly after I last posted on this thread I had to give up on the Zamberlans. They started digging in to the top of a toe on both feet. I tried everything I could think of to fix the problem without success. The toe box just wasn't high enough for my feet.

I wore the Kenetrex all season, including a sheep hunt and a goat hunt and they performed very well.

07-Feb-15
I tried Kenetreks and found them to stiff and heavy for stalking, I'm a bowhunter. I switched to Crispi's and swear by them. Light with great support and extremely durable.

10-Feb-15
I took a pair of Lowa Bighorn Hunters on my 2013 Dall Sheep hunt in the Alaska Range. I would recommend them.

I was able to get a deal on www.shoebuy.com with their coupons. If you decide these are what you want, get on their mailing list. I think I got them for 20%-25% off. Their return policy was excellent and was free to return ship. I would order a couple of different sizes. Double-check their policy but it was great a couple of years ago.

• Sitka Gear