skipmaster1 24-Apr-14
Nick Muche 24-Apr-14
Thornton 24-Apr-14
skipmaster1 24-Apr-14
patdel 24-Apr-14
kellyharris 25-Apr-14
writer 25-Apr-14
21-Apr-14
Just joined a 200 acre wooded lease with 9 other hunters. Appears to have A LOT of deer on the property and looks to be a good option.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how we should organize the property as far as hunting areas are concerned.

Do we divide up the property by sections?

How do you handle 10 hunters wanting to hunt the best spots on the best hunting days of the year.

How do you identify who is allowed on the lease and who is not.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

21-Apr-14
10 hunters on only 200 acres? That is asking for trouble before you even set foot on the property with more than twice the number that should be on a place that size. I really don't know how you could even begin to set stands, have any meaningful rules that could be followed with that many people, etc. You darn sure shouldn't allow anyone to have a guest at any time if you already have that many people hunting it. Just controlling who goes where and when and how they get there with any number of people will be a real challenge and probably take a traffic cop! I've got 10 stands and one permanent ground blind for bad weather gun hunting on a bigger piece of property than that so I can move around and not overhunt any particular one. Several are just for one particular wind direction that might not get hunted at all in an entire season. Good luck on working things out on this one!

21-Apr-14
10 on 200 acres...sounds like a heckuva deal - for the landowner cashing the checks.

We have about 180 acres on our farm, and a total of nine stands.

The kicker is, though, five are for the same wind direction and we only have one stand for two wind directions. It's not like we have a lot of choices, either because of the location of bedding areas and crop fields.

You may have to go to some kind of drawing and/or reservation system.

21-Apr-14
You are gonna have to be very careful about pressure on that farm. If you got ten guys hunting 200 acres it isn't going to take deer very long to start avoiding the whole place. They will be there only at night or not at all. Especially the mature ones. Someone mentioned having some kind of drawing. Not a bad idea. I would try to limit it to two or three guys in there at a time. Can you keep everybody happy that way?

21-Apr-14
GET OUT, now before none of you talk to each other again, disaster in the making

21-Apr-14
10 guys on 200 acres sounds more crowded than most public land around here, and that is pretty crowded.

21-Apr-14
This place and you guys may be the exception, but can you spell DISASTER?

I have about 14 stands on 200 acres. I try to allow for varying winds, entry and exit paths, and NEVER more then two of us hunting. One weeks hard hunting and there is a distint change in the Deer patterns.

If you stay with this gang, GOOD LUCK!!

21-Apr-14
I'd suggest you draw for seasons and make sure you have no more than 3 guys at a time.

21-Apr-14

As a landowner, I would sure care. More hunters, more liability, more trash, more ruts, more errant shots, more conflict, more neighbor issues etc.

Also, you and I have no way of knowing what the arrangement is or how the lease is set up.

21-Apr-14
Wow...sounds like a lot of hunters on a small parcel! We just picked up a new lease and have 10 members, but it's on 2700 acres.

21-Apr-14
I own 166 acres and think two of us hunting it is enough. I think everyone's comments gives you a clear message, you are going to have problems.

21-Apr-14
Thanks for the advice ;)

21-Apr-14
Will, 9 or 10 people a day on 200 acres seems to me to be a lot of hunters at once. I would get together as a group before for the season and have a draw for which days. Come up with a minimum amount of hunters for the day, 3 maybe 4 and go on a rotation basis. I know we had 6 with permission on a property one year and we came up with a plan. Only two of us could hunt weekdays, so the two of us hunted Mon through Friday morning and stayed away on the weekends and let the other 4 guys have that. Just some ideas

21-Apr-14
OK,

I tried to resist, but I would pay to not be on that lease.

21-Apr-14
Will, it is very hard to imagine that such an arrangement will work out well and be satisfactory to everyone. Too many people on too small of an area. Hate to say it, but if you could back out of it and find another option you will most likely be happier.

21-Apr-14
Get your money back if you can. 10 guys on 200 acres is way too many. Good luck if you decide to stay.

21-Apr-14
Now that I have that settled.

I will let you know how it works out

21-Apr-14
I gotta say I was in a club with 12 other serious hunters. We had 1100 acres. Despite all the land improvement projects and food plots the pressure kept the older smarter deer away during daylight hours. 200 acres with that many guys will burn out real fast UNLESS no one hunts too much. Good luck. For some people just having a place to hunt is enough.

21-Apr-14
+1 writer.

Hard to imagine a place that small could hunt 10. A strategy needs to be put into place for it to be successful. Along with some stiff scouting rules as well to avoid everyone stinking the place up.

22-Apr-14
Would hope they are all stand hunters? If there is someone who likes to still hunt he/she will make his way into everyone's reserved quadrant/area at some point.

One time, I hunted a big ranch in Texas and they had a map board of the property with tower stand locations marked. Prior to going to your stand you were required to hang a marker from the map so others knew that stand was occupied. When done hunting and before you left the property you were req'd. to remove the marker from the map.

With 10 hunters on 200 acres I can only imagine how fat those deer are going to be...10 deer feeders, 10 salt licks, 10 mineral stations. You may have to lace your feed with something special just so they come around to your area more frequently.

22-Apr-14
Well I guess the layout of the property would make a difference and what did you pay? Are all ten going to hunt it on the same days? is it close to home for a couple hours after work? What's the deer population? Lots of variables but it comes down to what your want out of the property.

22-Apr-14
I have been president of my hunting club for 13 years. We have leased the same property for 13 years.

We have 1036 acres and have had anywhere from 6-13 members all allowed to bring one guest per day. It was never bad until one year first week of November we had all 13 guys and 9 brought a guest?

Now we have 9 members and refuse to allow anymore!

Even with 9 members I still think we need to reserve 1st or 2nd week of November no guest and the same for first 3 days of shotgun season?

Your comment "Now that I have that settled. I will let you know how it works out" Sounds like you do not like the answers you are hearing?

Is your landowner just charging a lump sum and saying he doesnt care how many people you have on the lease? If so I bet he is new to leasing as well and I am sure that will change. If he has HOT, HOT property to hunt he will find a new leasee who will most likely have fewer hunters.

I will tell you this the politics between 9 hunters on 1036 acres is huge for me I can only imagine what 10 hunters is on 200 acres?

We do not cordinate areas off for any particular reason? We let guys choose an area and tell others to respect it. I threw one clown off the lease because he tried to claim 385 acres of the 1036 saying that was his hunting area and at the time we had 11 guys leasing.

Have you thought about what if all 10 hunters hunt at once?

Here are some of our rules

1. if you shoot a buck you MUST have it mounted unless you are a youth or it is your first ever buck!

2. If you see a member tracking and or dragging a deer you are required to ask him/her if they need help? If they say yes you do not hunt until finished helping that member?

3. You are allowed one guest per day

4. Everyone has their so called area to hunt, if you buck out your area is open to any paying leasee member to hunt that area but is not open to any guest if that member wishes for guest not to hunt that area.

5. You can hunt with any weapon or method as long as it is defined as legal form of hunting in Ohio.

6. You are totally 100% responsible for your guest and their actions. Any improper actions of a your guest act as if you commited them.

7. The youth hunt and getting youths out to hunt shall be one of the most important rules of the club!

8. Most decisions are taken by vote, but can be vetod or made the sole discretion of the president, The last word of the president is final! if You do not like the presidents decision remember this, no one forced you to be on the lease!

9. All members will be responsible for sharing utility cost whether they used them or not. Example electricity cost for campers, Porta John cost.

10. Any member can nominate a person to become a new member of the club. The President can either send that out to a vote or the President has the right to say yes or no without casting a vote.

11. If you lease payment is not received by the exact due date you have forfieted your membership no exceptions!

12. All rules and decisions made by the president are final!

Yes I know there isnt much a democracy in this club but to be honest of the total 9 members, I have only not chosen one of those persons. I have a list of 4 individuals waiting to join so please no PM asking me about openings. :0)

Anyhoot you asked for some rules and there they are.

I do agree that 10 hunters on 200 acres this will be a short term lease or people will decide to have fewer hunters. Me personally I would have leased the 200 all for myself if the cost wasnt to huge?

Our past issues

1. people wanting more hunting area by size than allows to be shared equally.

2. Encroachment of other persons area (Biggest headache over last 7 years)

3. Members not paying on time (read rule 11)

4. People not being grown up enough to discuss issues with each other some problem turns into a nightmare!

I will say this GOOD LUCK, your going to need it.

One last parting thoughts only three things that will serve you best with 10 guys on 200 acre

1. Communicate

2. Communicate

3. Communicate

22-Apr-14
Kelly, It is good to be king. :)

22-Apr-14
Great job Kelly I feel bad for Will I really do, I know the stuff that goes down just on our family farm and its family

22-Apr-14
Oh don't feel bad for me. This is just 1 of my 4 properties I have to hunt on. This is the only one that shares with others though. Archery only lease that is 2/3 jungle that the deer love surrounded by a scout camp that does not allow any hunting and a highway they cant cross.

It was also very inexpensive.

I will keep you updated next November.

22-Apr-14
So if you have 3 other decent properties to hunt on, why set yourself up for a lot of problems with this 200 acre place that could detract from your hunting season on the other good places?

22-Apr-14
This one was VERY convenient to where I work and it is loaded with deer. Cant drive by the scout camp and not see deer in the field. Just wanted to try something different. The opportunity came up and I just joined. 2 of my other properties are a lot smaller and I don't want to pressure them until November. The larger property has a lot of fields and those deer also get pressure from neighbors.

So with 6 weeks of Archery I was just trying to spread myself around. This lease also has an opportunity to drop in hunter #'s and a buddy and me are ready to take those shares when that happens. Who knows maybe some day it will be just ours.

22-Apr-14
My minimum rule of thumb -- one hunter per 150ac. providing it is heavily wooded with little pasture---- I am in two leases in La., 15 hunters on 3500ac.--and 25 hunters on 5000ac.--my own lease of 300ac. with myself and grandson -- good luck

22-Apr-14
best of luck to u but in the past to many cooks spoil the pot ....

23-Apr-14
Nothing better than private land to hunt, best of luck to you!!!

23-Apr-14
If someone has land in Eastern PA that they are willing to lease send me a message. I am always searching for new places. My 2 small spots are interesting but get over hunted very quickly.

23-Apr-14
"This one was VERY convenient to where I work and it is loaded with deer."

....Was loaded with deer once you get 10 guys busting through that jungle. I like the idea of getting your foot in the door though. Hopefully the other members realize it's too many and move on leaving it to you and your buddy. Could be a good long term investment.

23-Apr-14
Brotsky,

We look at it as an inexpensive experiment that 5 years from now we might be very happy about.

23-Apr-14
Sounds like one organization here in south central PA, called Capital Area Bowhunters. Guys are paying $700-800 sometimes more to hunt these "hot" leases the owner finds. Some areas are listed as 200+ acres with 130 wooded and can easily support 8 or 10 guys. WTF!! I looked into it in 2010 when I lost my prime spot. After doing a little research it seemed like a really good deal.....for the landowner and owner of Capital Area Bowhunters.

To each his own....

23-Apr-14
bowbender.. i haet CABH.. what a joke man.. Even worse hunters are actually paying to get on ground he finds and over hunting the hell out of it..

I just dont get it man. . a lot of places will allow hunting for free with permission but now its harder to find those places..

I'm starting to hope it all gets leased and over pressured.. it'll make my public land hunts better!! lol

last year i lost a piece of ground to CABH that would support 3 guys. They leased it out to 10 guys at over 30 per acre!!! I couldn't believe it. The owner is a really rich guy too, he didn't need the money, but they don't get rich by being dumb i guess.. There are some REALLY good bucks on that property but they only killed a small six and a doe or two.. over hunted for sure..

its frustrating..

23-Apr-14
I'm not going to give you any doom & gloom response, since it can be done and I've been part of it first hand.

I was part of a lease for 3 years and the property size was between 200-300 acres. There was only one way into the property and everyone had to pass by an old cabin where an aerial photo of the property was hanging up. Each member was allowed 2 stands or blinds and you had a sticker with your initials that you placed on the photo where your stands were located. You could have one site fixed and use your 2nd has a mobile setup if you wished or have 2 fixed locations. You were allowed to move stands also, but that had to be done during non-peak movement hours or on Sundays when no hunting was allowed.

Also, you could hunt the same area as another guy, but you had to maintain 50yds between stand locations AND if another member got to the property to hunt before you did and marked that he was hunting his stand close to yours, you had to fall back to your second location, hunt somewhere else or not at all.

There wasn't a single time that I can remember when all members were hunting at the same time, even on the weekends. Everyones schedules were different, so it just didn't happen. There was the potential for 12 guys total and no guests.

There was a size restriction as well, 16in wide min and no less than an 8pt. Does were free game and no size restriction. One of the key features of this place was it was bow-hunting only. While I hunted there, I shot a 10pt the 1st year, the 2nd no buck and the 3rd I killed a non-typical with something like 19pts. After the 3rd year, the one landowner who I got my permit from threw me under the bus to let his jail-bird buddy take my spot. It was fun while it lasted.

If you and the others guys incorporated something like what I posted above, you fellas should be able to make it work.

23-Apr-14
wow way to many rules !!!!! the last thing I want while bow hunting is to see or hear guys in the same patch of woods , the world has enough stress don't need it while im hunting !!!!

23-Apr-14
What!? 200 acres for 10 people?! What on earth are you thinking? You might as well hunt in your own back yard! No wonder PA has no big bucks

24-Apr-14
Not sure what CABH is but it sounds somewhat similar.

PA is a tough state.

We have the north central and out to the west that has expansive pieces of property and then from the south central east we have a lot of small woodlots and lots of deer running around neighborhoods on private land. All winter I had about 20 deer living in my neighborhood that can't really have any hunting on it.

Two of my other properties are under 30 acres and are really tough to get into without blowing the deer out.

This new lease is just something I did when it was presented to me. Lesson learned after this season.

Didnt spend near the $7-800 that was mentioned above

24-Apr-14

skipmaster1's embedded Photo
I wouldn't get involved with a lease tho small with this many guys, BUT as an extra spot it could pay off. Town property near my house opened a hunting program. 255 acres, with 100 guys allowed to hunt it. It gets at least 5 guys a day almost every day. Its earn a buck. I pop in there every opening day and find a harder to access area and take a doe. I then leave it alone for the masses to screw up. They do screw it up royally. Most does and older bucks leave the property in short order. There are a few acres of multiflora rose, that is hell to hunt. 2of the 3 seasons I have hunted there, I have slipped into that area during peak breeding and taken a nice buck. The 2 nicest bucks taken off the property. Its not ideal to have a ton of pressure on such a small parcel, but you can make it work.

24-Apr-14

The other. Both mature deer. 5.5 and 6.5 years old

24-Apr-14
Great deer

24-Apr-14
Skipmaster. Are those NY bucks?

24-Apr-14
Yes. Those are both from westchester on extremely pressured property. As I said 100 guys hunting 255 acres. I'll only put 5 to 10 hunts in there and only if the timing is perfect. Small pressured properties can produce good results if you at your cards right. I just wouldn't be paying a lot of money to do it.

24-Apr-14
Quite the list of rules there Kelly. Almost too many to keep track of... Wow.

Where I hunt, I just respect the landowner or the State and hunt. I kind of like to keep it simple.

That said... 200 acres and 10 guys. I'd be looking for another place. OR... I'd figure that anyone willing to agree to such a thing doesn't hunt much or hard and I'd have the whole place to myself all but firearm season :)

24-Apr-14
That many people on that little of property is not what I would consider "private land". There are areas of public I hunt on that do not have that kind of pressure. Skipmaster- Those are probably the only two decent bucks in that area and they are now dead. I doubt your hundred person lease will produce many more of that size.

24-Apr-14
Thornton- Its not a lease. Its kinda regulated, public/town land, we hunt for free. No big deer live on this property during season because of pressure, but they do use certain parts at certain times. I saw a really big one this year, but used both my buck tags before I could catch up with him. But this isn't about me or my properties. This is about the lease Will has. It's not an ideal situation, but depending on the property and surrounding areas, he might be able to make it work for him. Hunt smarter and harder(not more often) than the other guys and it might work for a good buck, the first year or for a few years. Go into it with an open mind but realistic expectations.

24-Apr-14
Lots of good advice here for you. Hope it works out good for ya.

25-Apr-14
Not really Nick, most of the rules are on what most call common sense.

The majority is where I rule the nest!

Seriously the only true rules are 3

1. If a fellow hunter needs help tracking or dragging you help them (1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush)

2. You have a main area but if you buck out your area is open to all other members (that is members only not their guest unless you say it is OK)

3. Kelly is actually El Presidente'

4. You shoot a buck you mount it! Since this rule went into affect about 6 years ago we have not had a true dink shot! A $350.00 and higher mounting penalty stopped all of that garbage.

Good rules if you ask me!

As I tell people if you dont like the rules or dont think they are fair no one is forcing you to join the lease!!!!

25-Apr-14
I'd be the perfect member for your club, Kelly. I don't do taxidermy any more, no matter the size. :-)

• Sitka Gear